Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah its very specifically divination rather than illusion magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Raenir Salazar posted:

The question is going to be if they're thorough enough to open a door they think Xykon's been through.

if there's a discontinuity at the divination point, then it will still be there coming back from inside a just-explored door, right?

e: the discontinuity, not xykon's aura immediately past it

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Shugojin posted:

if there's a discontinuity at the illusion point, then it will still be there coming back from inside a just-explored door, right?

e: the discontinuity, not xykon's aura immediately past it

There are no illusions in play. The swapover has, in part, a permanent divination effect for displaying the other side of the false tunnel. This defeats True Seeing entirely, as it doesn't work on or through clairvoyance.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Something about Xykon in this strip makes me think that he's fully aware that Redcloak is tracking him for his own gain, it's just that he doesn't really care.

I think it's the weird italicized "ha ha" that does it

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

my dad posted:

Something about Xykon in this strip makes me think that he's fully aware that Redcloak is tracking him for his own gain, it's just that he doesn't really care.

And then he turns and looks straight at his drawing and comments on how Redcloak just glossed over it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

my dad posted:

Oh yes. That's been clear for a while, at least to some extent.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

my dad posted:

I think there's a good chance that Xykon has Redcloak completely figured out by now. Redcloak killing Tsukiko for investigating the ritual likely confirmed it for him.

Xykon just seems way too chill since they've been at this gate, even for him. Like he knows this is all pointless and he's just waiting for the best/funniest moment to ruin everything for Redcloak.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
It is very funny how everyone but Redcloak has Redcloak pretty well figured out.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Wittgen posted:

It is very funny how everyone but Redcloak has Redcloak pretty well figured out.

It really is. I don't think xykon knows about the fake phylactery though, that would not be ignored.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

sebmojo posted:

It really is. I don't think xykon knows about the fake phylactery though, that would not be ignored.

Yeah. Xykon is fully on board with letting Redcloak plot the betrayal because he thinks he'll get away no more than mildly annoyed no matter what Redcloak does.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

JuniperCake posted:

Redcloak killing Tsukiko for investigating the ritual likely confirmed it for him.

Coincidence or not, Tsukiko's death means Xykon still doesn't know what exactly the ritual does, and as such means he should remain suspicious of Redcloak's true motivations.

Shugojin posted:

Yeah. Xykon is fully on board with letting Redcloak plot the betrayal because he thinks he'll get away no more than mildly annoyed no matter what Redcloak does.

With his "phylactery" safe on the Astral Plane -- which was stored immediately after finding out about Tsukiko dying and the arcane half of the ritual being handed back to him, and in-comic is relatively very recent (they went to Girard's Gate right after that, and then immediately teleported to Kraagor's) -- yeah, he figures he can just let it play out and see what Redcloak was plotting.

If he finds out what the ritual actually does, or that the Snarl can unmake souls, this partnership between Xykon and Redcloak likely falls apart in the blink of an eye.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

For those of you who've read Start of Darkness, don't forget MitD is enchanted to eat Redcloak if he ever betrays Xykon.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Xykon has absolutely seen through Redcloak, to a greater degree than Redcloak thinks he has. The thing we're waiting to find out is how much.

I agree that the most likely answer is the same one as always, i.e., "basically all the way, he just doesn't care, although this time he's probably going to regret not caring a little bit more."

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
I don't think Xykon and Redcloak have really trusted each other in a long time, if they ever did.

But at the same time, I don't think they realize just how much they should distrust each other.

Redcloak's clearly a bit too confident that he's pulled the wool over Xykon's eyes, and Xykon seems quite confident that whatever betrayal Redcloak has in store can be handled with a well-timed Meteor Swarm or two.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Xykon understands Redcloak very well, but he's also underestimating him. Redcloak has outplayed him with the phylactery scheme. The problem is that part of Redcloaks pride problem is that he has convinced himself he has Xykon well in hand. He does not.

It's a pretty intricate, pretty explosive situation. I think it's going to come to a head very soon here.

Thinking on it, I like how Team Evil has had their group cohesion get much worse over the comic while the Order has come together much more strongly.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rand Brittain posted:

Xykon has absolutely seen through Redcloak, to a greater degree than Redcloak thinks he has. The thing we're waiting to find out is how much.

I agree that the most likely answer is the same one as always, i.e., "basically all the way, he just doesn't care, although this time he's probably going to regret not caring a little bit more."

There's a fundamental theme of people as tools vs people as people that I think is rewarding to consider with oots. The Bad Dad's all do the former, for e.g., as does redcloak.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think Xykon is the brilliant schemer that this thread makes him out to be. He doesn't really need to be. He has some kind of baseline distrust to be ready to fight redcloak if he ever needs to, and that's all he really needs. He's not dumb, but he's also not very thoughtful in general.

Redcloak is going to be doing all this plotting and planning all this time, but he's just gonna stumble a little at the end or try pulling the trigger early, and Xykon will be able to handle it without some complicated scheme, just a couple things he always had at the ready. And it'll probably help that he has every reason to prepare himself to fight some clerics.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well xykons relationship with RC has always been transactional and he knows that RC needs him more than he needs RC. It just saves him a lot of effort and diverts heat so he tolerates obvious scheming, and besides isnt that normal amongst evil friends.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Xykon doesn't really do complex counter-schemes, but he does have an array of contingencies. Some of them Redcloak knows and has intercepted, like the Astral Fortress or inviting Tsukiko to study the ritual, some of them viewers know but Redcloak doesn't, like the SoD stuff, and presumably he has stuff up his sleeve that has yet to be introduced.

He definitely feels confident he can weather Redcloak's sudden yet inevitable betrayal, and I think only time will tell if that's actually the case.

I am starting to suspect that Xykon is absolutely right and the Order will end up having to save Redcloak from him, because I don't see an ending where Redcloak comes around without getting absolutely wrecked on every level, and I'm also not sure what an ending without Redcloak would look like.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The thing to remember about Xykon is that his entire thing was basically "roaming around the world dunking on high-level wizards who thought that being smarter than Xykon made them better than Xykon."

There's a whole lot of dead people out there who got that way by underestimating his combination of brute force and cunning.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't think Xykon is the brilliant schemer that this thread makes him out to be. He doesn't really need to be. He has some kind of baseline distrust to be ready to fight redcloak if he ever needs to, and that's all he really needs. He's not dumb, but he's also not very thoughtful in general.

Redcloak is going to be doing all this plotting and planning all this time, but he's just gonna stumble a little at the end or try pulling the trigger early, and Xykon will be able to handle it without some complicated scheme, just a couple things he always had at the ready. And it'll probably help that he has every reason to prepare himself to fight some clerics.

I don't think anyone has said he's a schemer, he's just a bit smarter and more perceptive then he can be bothered letting on.

That said he made the MITD into a contingency like six books ago, that must count as a scheme? It's just a simple and fairly lazy one.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

So

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
"Xykon is smarter than he looks."

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Khizan posted:

The thing to remember about Xykon is that his entire thing was basically "roaming around the world dunking on high-level wizards who thought that being smarter than Xykon made them better than Xykon."

There's a whole lot of dead people out there who got that way by underestimating his combination of brute force and cunning.

Xykon is mork, and everybody thinks he's gork

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Xykon's greatest strength has always been his ability to debase himself, no matter what, if it means achieving his goals. He'll even resort to (SoD) beating someone to death with a blunt object over using his magic if he has to. Lich has no scruples at all, and that isn't an alignment observation.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

SlothfulCobra posted:

He's not that much of a schemer but Start of Darkness shows that he has a sense for and plans about betrayal beyond "vaguely distrusting his allies".

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 28, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xykon is straightforward in a way that throws everyone off because he is powerful and clever enough to be so and most importantly he has literally zero doubt in himself. He 'schemes' insomuch as he has backup plans but so many of his backup plans are brute force or raw violence. He can outmatch people stronger than him because he just does the straightforward thing and isn't bothered by things like 'overarching goals' or 'what isn't funny at the moment.' He's cruel, shameless, and utterly unafraid of pretty much everything. Him almost losing his phylactery is the one time in the main comic we've really seen him shaken And in the prequel stories it is the unexpected consequences of Lichhood which make him freak the gently caress out because that specific pleasure is one of the few things he really cares about.

It's really hard to beat someone who is strong enough to murder pretty much anyone in the world 1-on-1 and who doesn't give a poo poo what anyone thinks or does because you can't really exploit his weaknesses. Redcloak is absurdly powerful but so full of flaws it's a miracle he doesn't collapse at any given time, Xykon's biggest flaw is underestimating someone who bores him and 90% of the time that is solved by him killing them.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I personally think xylon's biggest flaw is probably that he makes enemies of everyone he meets and he's just lucky only two of them have successfully ended his life.

You could reasonably say that redcloak's the closest thing he's ever had to a friend, even accounting for the fact that redcloak's shamelessly using him and plotting ways to kill him.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
hey Tsukiko liked him

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ikanreed posted:

I personally think xylon's biggest flaw is probably that he makes enemies of everyone he meets and he's just lucky only two of them have successfully ended his life.

You could reasonably say that redcloak's the closest thing he's ever had to a friend, even accounting for the fact that redcloak's shamelessly using him and plotting ways to kill him.

I've been thinking something like this too, Redcloak is probably the only person Xykon is willing to tolerate even attempting to tell him what to do like in this strip.

Although I imagine that's at least partly (a) too lazy to argue and if it does help move things along sure he'll humour him. (b) It's fun seeing if this blows up in Redcloak's face so he can do the kermit meme while chuckling.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
all those fun moments where Redcloak forges a narrowly plausible excuse to keep fooling Xykon would be undermined if Xykon saw through them

rather, it would seem more in-character for Xykon to never really trust anyone anyway. Xykon believes in hard power sustained at any price, not calculations of other people's motives; any inevitable betrayal wouldn't change much

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Hey remind me, what did redcloak do with the real phylactery?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
He put it in his pocket, and appears to have gone back to wearing it around his neck. If that's not the phylactery and he just replaced his backup holy symbol with a new one that looks exactly like the original, we don't know where the phylactery is.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It's around his neck. He shapechanged it, iirc. He's not going to let Xykon's phylactery out of arm's reach in case he needs to hold it hostage.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

ikanreed posted:

I don't think Xykon has ever had a friend in his life or unlife. Redcloak HAD friends, but they were all either murdered by Paladins or sacrificed to pursue The Plan. Redcloak's relationship with Xykon started as employer-hireling, but then he became an underlying after Xykon became a lich and decided, like any proper chaotic evil being, that since he was stronger that meant he should be in charge.

Compare that to Tarquin's crew, where some of them at least seemed to enjoy each other's company to some extent.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Taciturn Tactician posted:

He's not that much of a schemer but Start of Darkness shows that he has a sense for and plans about betrayal beyond "vaguely distrusting his allies".

His general plan is being aware of his own (strategic, anyway) weaknesses and letting people either attack him or not. if they attack him, he responds with full force. if they don't, well, he continues to boss them around and maybe kills them anyway for other reasons. He stayed in the Evil game for so long by simply responding to things with overwhelming force and using whatever advantages he can get because he simply doesn't care what he has to do as long as he avoids the Big Fire Below

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It's around his neck. He shapechanged it, iirc. He's not going to let Xykon's phylactery out of arm's reach in case he needs to hold it hostage.

This seems like an incredibly bad idea that's absolutely going to backfire hilariously, just like all his other schemes

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

McCloud posted:

This seems like an incredibly bad idea that's absolutely going to backfire hilariously, just like all his other schemes

I dunno, if he hides it somewhere (a) if he needs it to threaten Xykon he can't get it quickly. (b) increases the risk someone stumbles on it and take it out from under him.

Keeping it near him has risks but also advantages.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

McCloud posted:

It's a bad idea if you care about Xykon's phylactery falling into the wrong hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Anyone got a go-to example page to send to people? I want to recommend OOTS to friends but it doesn't sell itself well just looking at the first couple of strips. Might have to flick through my printed books (good thing I have no other plans this evening) to find something that looks epic and exciting but without spoilers.