Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I don't play tanks, but Russia's aviation tree has ridiculously cheap repair costs and high profits compared to literally every other tree.

I can play a poo poo game at 11.3 Russian tree and come out ahead 30k SL.

The same performance in the US tree, I lose 7,500 SL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Gaijin blatantly favors Russian vehicles, though it's usually only mildly annoying rather than game breaking. (Looking at you, IS-6.)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Kesper North posted:

Gaijin blatantly favors Russian vehicles, though it's usually only mildly annoying rather than game breaking. (Looking at you, MIG-23MLD.)

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Get rid of repair costs entirely. Why do they even exist

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

to sell premium

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I remain convinced that there are people who exchange hard currency for GE, and immediately turn that GE into SL. It’s the only rational explanation for the way Gaijin “balances” the SL “economy.”

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

MrYenko posted:

I remain convinced that there are people who exchange hard currency for GE, and immediately turn that GE into SL. It’s the only rational explanation for the way Gaijin “balances” the SL “economy.”

those people do exist, i have met them, and i'm pretty sure this + premium are The Reason

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Farecoal posted:

You could turn it into a survival bonus instead, I suppose.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

MrYenko posted:

there absolutely are

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Madurai posted:

You could turn it into a survival bonus instead, I suppose.

Or adjust the existing SL modifiers on vehicles and remove the repair cost entirely.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Kesper North posted:

I don't play tanks, but Russia's aviation tree has ridiculously cheap repair costs and high profits compared to literally every other tree.

I can play a poo poo game at 11.3 Russian tree and come out ahead 30k SL.

The same performance in the US tree, I lose 7,500 SL.

I rarely lose money at 10+ on the US tree, but I won't call it a money maker.

For that, I find one of three things:

1) Naval AB, especially if you have a cheap premium ship. Moffat is love, Moffat+Davis+Helena is dirty filthy love.
2) Helicopter PVE, you can alt tab a fair bit too.
3) Doing battlepass without subbing for it. I found I made a lazy 7-8 million SL (mind you with premium) just doing the dailies. I made a point of going as low down in rank as I could.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

MrYenko posted:

Yes they're called whales and they're the foundation of every free-to-play game's revenue stream.

There are people who, when a new patch drops, will spend GE to use convertible RP (you know, that thing you earn but never, ever touch) to buy all the new vehicles immediately.

Farecoal posted:

They exist because they need a money sink so you don't just accumulate infinite lions. This line of thinking eventually leads to realizing that lions really don't need to exist at all, and honestly RP is on thin ice as well.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think having a progression system makes sense; so RP as a measure of your accumulated experience to unlock new vehicles and modules to improve your tanks all make sense in a vacuum.

The problem is how grindy it is that you basically have to pay money if you wish to progress.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
In my mind all MMOs should cost $15 a month because that's what WoW cost in 2006. So I buy my $15 a month of geagles and don't worry about it other than that.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

If you play this game consistently enough to get coupons to make the battle pass rewards tradeable in the marketplace the battle passes end up paying for themselves + extra. But it's a tall ask.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

YF-23 posted:

If you play this game consistently enough to get coupons to make the battle pass rewards tradeable in the marketplace the battle passes end up paying for themselves + extra. But it's a tall ask.

I’ve actually done a couple battle passes now because unlike the crafting and grinding events, the BP goes for a long enough period of time that I can reliably get all three event vehicles in one if I want them. Grinding to the tradable coupons is a level of poopsockery that I no longer possess though.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

MrYenko posted:

I’ve actually done a couple battle passes now because unlike the crafting and grinding events, the BP goes for a long enough period of time that I can reliably get all three event vehicles in one if I want them. Grinding to the tradable coupons is a level of poopsockery that I no longer possess though.

Yeah doing the battlepass/warbond shops is a lot easier when you realise that you have loads of time to get to the rewards and you don't have to poopsock your difficult task every day.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

https://warthunder.com/en/news/7798/current

God dammit, Gaijin, now I have to go and loving GRIND AIR, a thing which I am totally poo poo AT, just to have access to this BEAUTIFUL COLD WAR MIRACLE

gently caress

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Another loving Leopard. Jesus Christ.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Solumin posted:

Another loving Leopard. Jesus Christ.

Why not? We have a shitload of T-80s and M1s.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Why not? We have a shitload of T-80s and M1s.

There's 2 premium M1s. (I'm counting the two prototypes as one, since they're platform exclusive.) There are 2 premium T-72s. This new one is the 4th premium Leo 2. (Or possibly fifth, I'm not sure if the C2A1 counts.)
It's starting to feel a bit silly.

I think America technically has the advantage, since there are 5 in-tree M1s.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I would like the "minor nation low tier tank". Is that one of the Italian tank destroyers but with rockets?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Farecoal posted:

I would like the "minor nation low tier tank". Is that one of the Italian tank destroyers but with rockets?

And a different gun.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Solumin posted:

There's 2 premium M1s. (I'm counting the two prototypes as one, since they're platform exclusive.) There are 2 premium T-72s. This new one is the 4th premium Leo 2. (Or possibly fifth, I'm not sure if the C2A1 counts.)
It's starting to feel a bit silly.

I think America technically has the advantage, since there are 5 in-tree M1s.

There’s one premium Leo 2, to be fair. The rest don’t receive downward RP bonuses or major SL bonuses, being squad or event vehicles. Two of the Leo 2s are also Swedish, meaning it’s 8 for 8 M1:Leo2.

Generally speaking though I’d prefer to see other nations get top tier event tanks than the big three, yeah.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

They probably want to flesh out the regular tech tree on a lot of the smaller nations before they give them event rewards. France currently has no tanks between 8.3 and 9.3 in their tech tree so it would be weird and kind of off-putting if they filled that gap with something that had limited access, for example. They did recently give Britain a premium Challenger and that tree feels kinda hefty as it stands so maybe something could go there.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
hell yeah i always loved that plane when i was a kid

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
The new Leopard is Rank 6, it’s got the L7A3 so it would dictate more of an 9.0 than other Leo 2, if this gets down to 8.7 it could be a lot of fun but prob more like 9.3 or 9.7. It’s basically a better 1A1A1.

Then again the German 9.3 lineup is a blast and 9.3 was/is the best high tier BR since you get a good group of tanks for most everyone but avoid the real dumb poo poo like Ka-52s and Tunguskas in every game.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Solumin posted:

The M4A1 (FL10) is a premium that's no longer generally available, though it was on sale literally last week.

It's still available as of today, costs about 3000 GE. Not sure if it was just never removed after the Bastille Day event or what, but I just picked it up earlier today and as a certified scrub I'd say it's very very good. It's a regular M4A1 hull (cast hull Sherman, so poorly armored), but its lighter than even the base 75mm M4A1 and has a more powerful engine than any of the non-Jumbo Shermans, so it's really quite nimble, at least forwards - the reverse gear is still kinda poo poo. On top of this it gets a French turret with a 75mm autoloader that gets a 5 second reload and over 180mm of pen. It only fires solid shot AP, it's not stabilized and depression could be better, but still, it's a really good gun. It gets smoke launchers too for when you want to peace out. Really fun tank, amazing flanker.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Solumin posted:

Yes! This is my favorite tier! I've put a lot of time into these tanks.

[extremely helpful post]

If you're having trouble with specific maps, I may be able to give advice for that map in particular.

Does this offer still stand?

A few questions from my end:

- I'm getting the hang of fighting German tanks, but what are the weak spots of the jumbo (I face Americans in them now and then that I can't deal with) and the most common Soviets (in particular the IS-2) ?
- I tend to be really bad in open maps and woodland maps (I can't even see the enemy and they snipe me). Honorable mentions:
Volokolamsk
Fields of Normandy
Kuban
El Alamein

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jumbos are easy. Shoot them in the sides or in the hull MG port. If you can’t hit either of those two places, don’t even bother shooting them; The mantlet and frontal armor is superb.

If they’re too far away for that, seek cover and wait for them to get closer; It’s the only way they can pen 80% of the tanks they face, and it’s what they do best. 76mm Jumbos are basically the same thing, just be more wary of the gun. They’re massively over-tiered though, so if you’ve got HEAT-FS put it right through their UFP.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deltasquid posted:

- I'm getting the hang of fighting German tanks, but what are the weak spots of the jumbo (I face Americans in them now and then that I can't deal with) and the most common Soviets (in particular the IS-2) ?

Jumbo weak points are the MG port on the hull, the same side shot as all the other Shermans and the area of the roof between the mantlet and the roof top. The roof shot is basically not worth it without high HE filler.

T-34s you shoot through the mantlet just beside the gun, right side (your right) first to kill the gunner if you don’t have enough filler to one-shot.

IS-2s depend heavily upon your pen. Mantlet, same as the T-34 or lacking the pen for that shoot the driver area in the middle of the upper front plate. If they’re not angled it’s flat on to you, if they are angled then the parts that stick out are nearly flat and you can go straight through.

Orv fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Aug 7, 2022

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Deltasquid posted:

- I tend to be really bad in open maps and woodland maps (I can't even see the enemy and they snipe me). Honorable mentions:
Volokolamsk
Fields of Normandy
Kuban
El Alamein

Pubbies love sniping maps - German mains especially so. They get to sit in the back in their Jagdtigers and whatever and jerk off without having to have too many thoughts in their head. This is why you see so many posts on reddit and whatnot complaining about how city maps are "unrealistic". The trick though with these maps is that there's almost always routes to the objectives that are at least sort of covered, so if you don't feel inclined to play spot-the-tank from a kilometer away (and you shouldn't, not without thermals at the very least) just go brawl on or near one of the objectives. You just gotta learn where the lines of fire are, which unfortunately can take a while. On Fields of Normandy, the south north area around the crossroads and the church is pretty amenable to short range engagements and hill cresting shenanigans, for example.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Aug 8, 2022

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

MrYenko posted:

A few years back Gaijin said this was one of their biggest income sources.

Anyway, been flying the Mitsubishi F-1 a lot lately, slowly getting the upgrades for it.

Have some clips (sound is available on all of them if you turn it on, but most of them have random background music)
https://i.imgur.com/Kj8W00G.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/g2gU8Cu.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/z6czQDi.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/ws21ixP.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/pYngStE.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/dGrTSmA.mp4
I really can't wait to get the AIM-9Ps unlocked, AIM-9Es are pretty miserable.

Also been flying my PFM again a bit
https://i.imgur.com/JSGizbP.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/VQtknLl.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/iRltRuK.mp4

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

:stonklol:

I managed to kill one and was able to consistently just outrun them, but I eventually miscalculated and went into a dog fight instead of BnZ and coordinating with my ally.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

Volokolamsk
Fields of Normandy
Kuban
El Alamein

Yes, absolutely! I think other people have covered those tanks' weakspots well, so I don't have much to add there. I do find Jumbos to be rather scary, but I rarely see them. For IS-2s, check out their turret in the armor analyzer: the mantlet/turret face is surprisingly thin, and you might be able to disable their gun with a single shot. Also, don't forget that you can knock out barrels!

Generally, for open maps: don't be in the open! Obvious advice, I know. Take the time in the beginning of the match to check the map and see where there are hills, valleys and heavy foliage for you to sneak around in. Or head straight for a town and knife fight some fools.

Unfortunately, I haven't played Volokolamsk in years, so I don't have any specific advice for it. But I can definitely talk about the others!

Keep in mind:
- I'm basing this advice on a lineup that has a Sherman (the SA50) and a fast tank (EBR). Fill out the rest of it as you desire.
- We don't care about sniping. While our guns are good for it (especially the SA50!), you're more effective at closer ranges.
- We're going to be facing Germany a lot, especially Panthers and Tigers.
- I'm going to focus on the Domination (3 capture points) mode, because it's the most common and also best and most of the advice can be adapted to the other modes.

Let's start with Fields of Normandy. Here's a handy map:

(I pulled this from the wiki, and it's an older version of the map. In-game, the top point is A, the middle is B, and the bottom is C, and those are the names I'll be using.)

Each rectangle indicates an area you should try to get to. The arrows from spawn indicate the rough path I'd take to get there, trying to avoid being spotted by the enemy. Areas from the zones indicate zones you can threaten and/or move into. The color indicates which team that area initially "belongs" to. For example, area #1 is going to be dominated by Blue Team first, because it's right outside their spawn; Red Team can't hope to occupy it. Later in the game, Red team can absolute push into it. Purple indicates a "shared" zone that either team can get to and dominate.

#1: By the ruined church. This gives you pretty good sightlines onto the A point and down the road that leads to Red's spawn. However, it's threatened by area #2, and in my experience, tends to be dominated by Red team. You're fairly vulnerable to snipers from area #2. It's possible you can use this as a staging area to assault the point, letting you flank any enemies that rush A. You should be able to get here before too many Reds set up in #2, but don't depend on it. Overall, I would avoid this area, unless you're on Red team, it's later in the game and you want to threaten Blue's spawn.

#2: The... other church? And the hills in front of it. Good sightlines into area #1, A point, and sometimes even into B point. Very good for sniping, if you have the gun depression to use the hills. Which you do not. From here, you can move into A, but you're more likely to going to move into #1 so you can threaten Blue's spawn. For our lineup, I'd avoid this: we aren't sniping.

#3: Copse and fields south of A. Now this is golden. 95% of the time, I rush straight over here, no matter what side I'm on. Red team has a slight advantage, because it's easier for them to get into the woods south of A, where they can threaten A point and parts of #1 easily. But also, Blue team can threaten #2 and #5 from here. You can also clean up the north side of B, though often the enemy team will be capturing it from the south side. From here, you can take A, push B, shut down the enemy spawn (significantly easier for Blue to shut down Red from here), lock down #2, push into #5... it's a very versatile spot. Be aware that Blue's side has a lot of hills, which can be good hiding spot to take out any Reds that come here. This is the perfect spot for a tank with a good amount of speed and an excellent gun -- which is what we have. Both the Sherman and the EBR can shine here. Be aware of getting pushed by enemies who also think this a great area though!

#4: Trees and hedges southwest of B. There's a surprising amount of cover here. It's the closest thing to a sniping spot that you're going to see. I usually go here if I want to disrupt Red's B and C push, and then push into B myself. Don't overestimate how much protection the bushes give you, but don't underestimate it either. You can sometimes get 3 kills without anyone realizing you're here, or you could be shot immediately. It depends on how aware Red team is. It's hard to push into C from here, but you can do it.

#5: Basically the mirror of #4. A few more trees and hedges though. I don't go here too often, but you have some good sight lines. Mostly, you're going to use this to push B. Probably a good place to go mid-match, when you're not entirely sure where the enemy is and need to scout a bit. Also just generally a good scouting position, because the hills in front of you make shots hard.

#6: Ditches south of C. I go here the 5% of the time I don't go to #3 and uhh it's not a great idea? You're really expose to anything in #7, and you can't really get to C without being too exposed. If you want to push C, head directly there from spawn.

#7: The woods east of C. Another sniping spot, though you can use it to stage a push to C, or stop really dumb Blue team enemies from going to B. Also not a bad spot to park an SPAA later in the game, since planes tend to travel parallel to the points on this map, for some reason.

You'll note that I don't talk about capping points. I prefer to support my team doing that, but my positioning is flexible enough that I can push to a point if I feel the need. If you want to cap a point, go straight there from spawn; A and C are between the spawns, so you won't be exposed, and B is surrounded by woods so you'll be hard to spot. Once the points are held by an enemy, you'll need to flank or get some teammates to help, because the points are relatively easy to defend.

Here's how a typical match would play out:

1. Spawn in the SA50. (Or the EBR, I don't judge.) We're going straight for area #3, so we spawn up north, then head a bit south before going west. The goal is to stay on the south side of the hedges, so that we aren't seen by anything speedy that pushes in A or area #1.

2. Safely in area #3, we get ready to attack. In the SA50, we'll be here right as Tigers and Panthers are getting into the blue zones. (If we're in the EBR, we'll be a bit ahead of them.) If we're facing Russians, they'll be on A by now, if not pushing B also. The blue zones are areas to watch out for tanks: on the road outside A, in the rolling hills west of #3, by the shack to the west, and pushing B. And, of course, there's the A point itself. We have good sightlines into all of these spots, so it's our job to shoot them! If I don't care about living long, I'll stay in place and blast away, but you should probably be ready to retreat east. If your team takes A, it's a valid option for taking cover, though be careful not to expose your side when moving to it.

Once the initial push is handled, we're either dead or still in #3. We have options:

- 2: Just...stay here. Protect A. Keep the southern part of B safe. Good if your team is actually able to cap A and B, but then they're going to push Blue's northern spawn and all die, so be ready to hold off the next wave.
- 3: Push south into B. Best if B isn't captured, or is held by the enemy, or if C needs help.
- 4: Same as above, but pushing west instead of south. Good for overwatching the enemy spawns.
- 5: Specifically spawn camp Blue's northern spawn. Good for holding them off of A.
- Get in a plane!

On a 3-point map, I try to focus on holding 2 points, so I'll stay near A and B. If I went to 3 or 4, I'll hold B and C instead. You only need 2 points to win, so let the pubbies grind themselves to dust pushing spawn or capping the third point.

---

So that's entirely too many words about how I'd handle Fields of Normandy in the 5.0/5.3 French lineup. I'll try to write shorter posts about the other 2 maps soon -- Kuban in particular is a favorite of mine.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 8, 2022

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Excellent post, you are highlighting exactly the right areas to watch out for. Only thing that is missing imo is a mention of the back of blue's north spawn, which is a hill that sniping tanks can abuse. Specifically I find that a player up there has excellent visibility into the #3 area and can neutralise any tanks coming out of it, and can harass #2 effectively as well.

My preference for a Fields of Normandy opener is going to the middle cap from the south. You can do this in two ways, either in a direct way that lets you harass people approaching the southern cap along the way, or a more roundabout way to keep more cover but losing that opportunity. The middle cap itself has a small number of hills and structures that can be used for cover and to prevent being sniped, and if you win the battle for it that opens up your options massively and you can respond depending on your team's performance, providing a flank to either the north or the south which can break a stalemate, you get clean side shots to thin out an enemy advance, or capitalise on a push to "shut down" an enemy spawn (the north western one is particularly vulnerable to this).

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

hold w and die until you figure out the spots people don't cover

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

YF-23 posted:

Excellent post, you are highlighting exactly the right areas to watch out for. Only thing that is missing imo is a mention of the back of blue's north spawn, which is a hill that sniping tanks can abuse. Specifically I find that a player up there has excellent visibility into the #3 area and can neutralise any tanks coming out of it, and can harass #2 effectively as well.

My preference for a Fields of Normandy opener is going to the middle cap from the south. You can do this in two ways, either in a direct way that lets you harass people approaching the southern cap along the way, or a more roundabout way to keep more cover but losing that opportunity. The middle cap itself has a small number of hills and structures that can be used for cover and to prevent being sniped, and if you win the battle for it that opens up your options massively and you can respond depending on your team's performance, providing a flank to either the north or the south which can break a stalemate, you get clean side shots to thin out an enemy advance, or capitalise on a push to "shut down" an enemy spawn (the north western one is particularly vulnerable to this).

I am actually completely unfamiliar with that hill, probably because I rarely try to snipe. I've definitely been killed by tanks hanging out in that area though, now that I think about it.

Goast posted:

hold w and die until you figure out the spots people don't cover

Valid.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Every map should be randomly generated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
My preference for Fields of Normandy is that it be deleted.