Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It feels ridiculously OP to just stomp around with AP/Bashing/something shredder minigun in hellcat set running around turning everything into hamburger really about as fast as you can close with them. Sneaky commando with a few different guns, or don't sneak and use an auto railway rifle (quad for bigger stuff).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

Never liked micromanaging low health, and the are only a few cases (SB Queen, Earle and maybe one or two other other bosses) where the difference is really meaningful.

What's there to micromanage? Serious question. The way I see it, you down Toxic Goo until Nerd Rage triggers, pop a radshield in some situation and that's it.

Another Bill posted:

Yeah I'm trying to make a bloodied build work right now and i guess it's pretty good. My bloodied gauss shotgun is fun for one shotting most things, bloodied 50 cal is OK but I don't see a big difference from my ultracite gatling laser. Maybe I need to bloodied that weapon too.

Even in PA, the difference between a Bloodied .50 and a whatever UC GL should be pretty obvious.
You mentioned a shotgun so I'm assuming you're using Shotgun and Heavy Gunner perks on the same build? While that can work it means that you're limiting the potential power of both weapon types. Shotgun and HG perks should only ever be used on a build that is dedicated to the Pepper Shaker.

You should always just play how you want and if you have fun, even better. But if you want some ideas on how to deal more damage or improve upon your build, you can share your build using this: https://nukesdragons.com/fallout-76/character

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 17, 2022

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I just don't enjoy staring at the handful of pixels to keep it in that range while occasionally irradiated, I'd rather not pay attention to it period.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Not only does the Nerd Rage animation trigger when it activates it also literally tells you that Nerd Rage is active in your Pipboy.

Not playing low health is fine but calling it micromanaging makes it sound way harder then it actually is when all it takes is to reach that threshold and not die for the remainder of your play session. :shrug:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
538 level ups, what

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Arivia posted:

538 level ups, what

And 1619 Perk Coins. :v:

At my level you tend to have all the perks already and just wait for animated ones to drop and level up. The true endgame. :colbert:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Arivia posted:

538 level ups, what

They still have a long way to go to 10k

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I'd say that about one in three bloodied builds I run with on public teams spend a decent amount of time dead because something takes them down quickly. If you can keep yourself up easily then sure, you'll put out massive DPS, but if you're the kind of person who doesn't notice your health going down and wonder why you're at 50% after a fight then it's probably not a great choice.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah if you're at the point where you're doing that without conscious thought, that's great, I am super not interested in that kind of effort. Nor collecting the gear and consumables to power it. Everything but bosses all explodes essentially instantly for three completely different builds I run (shredder, commando, 2-shot auto GL) and I don't feel like "more damage" is meaningful for any of them :shrug:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

That's why I mostly run around with my VE shotgun build. Doesn't have the fastest kill rate but I rarely have to worry about my health and thats with somewhat random armor bits.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Taerkar posted:

I'd say that about one in three bloodied builds I run with on public teams spend a decent amount of time dead because something takes them down quickly. If you can keep yourself up easily then sure, you'll put out massive DPS, but if you're the kind of person who doesn't notice your health going down and wonder why you're at 50% after a fight then it's probably not a great choice.

It took some adjustment for me but once I started running at 20% HP instead of 10% it went smoother. I'm slowly upgrading all my armor to unyielding as I can, I'm still at 2 pieces so far.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Wow, this Fallout focused Youtuber is pretty interesting. Wonder why they're not more popular?

[He makes a joke about locking up Dr. Fauci]

Oh no..

[Community page is full of stories of people dying after being vaccinated, the new world order, the evils of gun control]

Oh no no no

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Mr Hootington posted:

It never stops being funny that if you do not have a bloodied or legacy you are just wasting everyone's time.
I'm always wasting everyone's time.
I just run PA/final word/stabilized without bloodied and don't feel the game is hard enough at this point to worry about killing stuff 1 second slower than the bloodied players in daily ops or whatever

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Roman posted:

I just run PA/final word/stabilized without bloodied and don't feel the game is hard enough at this point to worry about killing stuff 1 second slower than the bloodied players in daily ops or whatever

Try running a queen or earl with no bloodied or legacies around.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Took McCready to the Railroad for the first time, and when we got to the catacomb he yelled "Tunnel Snakes rule!' :)

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Mr Hootington posted:

Try running a queen or earl with no bloodied or legacies around.

I had a weird bug today where I couldn't join the Colossal Problem event because it was in a nuke zone, but I thought nuking Monanagh Mine was the only way to trigger Earl?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Did you fast travel nearby and walk in to the mine? That usually works.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

next week's update finally addresses energy weapon durability. finally I can start using my god drat laser guns

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Sim Settlements 2 large content expansion ("Headquarters 2.0")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rLt7FddSos

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mantis42 posted:

Wow, this Fallout focused Youtuber is pretty interesting. Wonder why they're not more popular?

[He makes a joke about locking up Dr. Fauci]

Oh no..

[Community page is full of stories of people dying after being vaccinated, the new world order, the evils of gun control]

Oh no no no

Is this Oxhorn?

Try Radking, he's fairly new but really good. Also I think TKMantis is pretty good too?

I like the X0-01 PA due to its high rad resist. But it is annoying that it has less carry weight if i'm running around with my regular armor and backpack. And I was wondering if miniguns were worth it. I've been using the Foundations Revenge a lot and its fine, but a good legendary .50 would probably kick its rear end.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

No it's Father Elijahcal. Oxhorn is the homophobe who makes boring videos where he reads from the Fallout Wiki verbatim in a dumb voice and gets things wrong.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

And I was wondering if miniguns were worth it. I've been using the Foundations Revenge a lot and its fine, but a good legendary .50 would probably kick its rear end.

Foundations Vengeance is nice but it requires Demo Expert to really shine due to the Explosive modifier.

Generally speaking, Miniguns are only good if they are Bloodied, Anti Armor or, to some degree, Executioners. All other modifiers are garbage with one exception. Vampire. Vampire with a Shredder Mod, +50 Bash Damage as secondary, no ammo and the Basher Perk equipped is one of the best Melee DO weapons that exist. Until the next patch when Chainsaws can be level 50 and Legendary.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I like that turtle guy

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land

Sensenmann posted:

Until the next patch when Chainsaws can be level 50 and Legendary.

I missed this detail, that's fun. Has there been any indication as to whether chainsaws will get benefits from melee perks? I wouldn't object to replacing my super-sledge with a chainsaw and cosplaying Leatherface for a bit...

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mantis42 posted:

No it's Father Elijahcal. Oxhorn is the homophobe who makes boring videos where he reads from the Fallout Wiki verbatim in a dumb voice and gets things wrong.

Ah. I remember watching oxhorn and he goes on this rant about how people who commit crimes are stupid and cops should be allowed to fi whatever to them.

.50 don't eat ammo as much as a mini gun too. Once I get a decent heavy weapon to replace the FR I'll dump it.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Morality_Police posted:

I missed this detail, that's fun. Has there been any indication as to whether chainsaws will get benefits from melee perks? I wouldn't object to replacing my super-sledge with a chainsaw and cosplaying Leatherface for a bit...

Yes, the Chainsaw on the PTS had the appropriate keyworks so it did benefit from 2 Handed Melee perks.

Plus, like every high tick weapon, it's damage was much higher when repaired to 200%.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

Sim Settlements 2 large content expansion ("Headquarters 2.0")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rLt7FddSos

was literally just about to uninstall, i can't even get out before they pull me back in

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

poo poo I meant to post that in the Fallout Modding thread, oops

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The other Fallout Youtube guy I watched recently was Creetosis, or however it's written, he has like an 8 hour(!!) response video to MATN's Fallout 3 defense video, which I listened to on my daily commute over the course of a week. I thought it was pretty good and nothing chud-y stood out in the video itself but I can't vouch for the rest of the channel. Obv the Hbomberguy video is the standard on Fallout 3 critiques but I'm a goon so hearing people talk about video games is my version of white noise. Also it brings to mind this question: if Colonel Autumn didn't just randomly kill people for no reason, would he actually be a bad guy? He reformed the Enclave away from being pro-genocide and his stated aim is to provide clean water to the people and rebuild society. What's the downside, exactly? The people would be under a military state I guess but most of them live under worst anyways.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

The other Fallout Youtube guy I watched recently was Creetosis, or however it's written, he has like an 8 hour(!!) response video to MATN's Fallout 3 defense video, which I listened to on my daily commute over the course of a week. I thought it was pretty good and nothing chud-y stood out in the video itself but I can't vouch for the rest of the channel. Obv the Hbomberguy video is the standard on Fallout 3 critiques but I'm a goon so hearing people talk about video games is my version of white noise. Also it brings to mind this question: if Colonel Autumn didn't just randomly kill people for no reason, would he actually be a bad guy? He reformed the Enclave away from being pro-genocide and his stated aim is to provide clean water to the people and rebuild society. What's the downside, exactly? The people would be under a military state I guess but most of them live under worst anyways.

And Fallout 4 implies the BoS made DC into one eventually too.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i don't know whether i should just keep on rockin with the x-01 which i already have calibrated shocks for, or if i should save my gold for the hellcat calibrated shocks mod, or if i should save my gold to buy all the t-65 parts. the communist power armor skin was on mega-sale (maybe still is) so fashion is now less of a concern since i think i can just put it on any of the sets.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Treasure Hunter event is on. Don't think there are any new plans but opening the pales also gives scrip, if they are high enough in tier. Dusty give nothing special, I think.

Also, keep in mind that the ammo you get from them depends on the weapon you have equipped.

Finally, if you want to buy empty chests, take the middle ones, they offer the best bang for your buck.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i don't know whether i should just keep on rockin with the x-01 which i already have calibrated shocks for, or if i should save my gold for the hellcat calibrated shocks mod, or if i should save my gold to buy all the t-65 parts. the communist power armor skin was on mega-sale (maybe still is) so fashion is now less of a concern since i think i can just put it on any of the sets.

You'll only notice a difference when you get shot at a lot or hang around in nuke zones, for that purpose, T-65 is best overall.

As daily driver use whatever you want.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Every so often the environmental storytelling in this game hits me just right and loving levels me. I don't know if it's because I'm getting older and thus more sentimental or what, but I found the watchtower with the note from the guy going after his dog that was kidnapped by raiders, figured out where he went, and found them at the Freak Show and just...:sigh:

I went and hugged both of my extremely annoyed cats after that.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

well no ones going to bother to kidnap a stupid cat so you should be fine

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Mantis42 posted:

well no ones going to bother to kidnap a stupid cat so you should be fine

I dunno, my cats are pretty rad.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

idk if its just me being stupid but it seems like for energy weapons theres not really a downside for the prime receiver cause the ultracite ammo recipes produce a lot more ammo than the normal recipes. like i can turn 2 worn down fusion cores into 6 ultracite cores using the ammo crafting perk + the second level of the ammo legendary perk, or make 378 ultracite plasma carts vs 94 plasma carts with the regular recipe.

i know it takes flux and ultracite but people do the scorchbeast queen all the time

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

juggalo baby coffin posted:

idk if its just me being stupid but it seems like for energy weapons theres not really a downside for the prime receiver cause the ultracite ammo recipes produce a lot more ammo than the normal recipes. like i can turn 2 worn down fusion cores into 6 ultracite cores using the ammo crafting perk + the second level of the ammo legendary perk, or make 378 ultracite plasma carts vs 94 plasma carts with the regular recipe.

i know it takes flux and ultracite but people do the scorchbeast queen all the time

Nah, that's spot on and true for all weapons.

However, the Flux you get from the queen will most likely not be enough to keep your weapons fed.

You need to craft your own Flux and for that you need the plants, 10 of each, plus one of high rad fluid, glowing mass and hardened mass.

For Violet, nuking FSP is enough. Drop the nuke right on top of FSP and fight the Queen inside the nuke zone. Tons of stabilizing mats that way.

For Cobalt, Morgantown. Include the airport in the nuke radius so if Collision Course triggers you get to farm 40-50 scorched on top of the enemies that happen to be there.

For Yellowcake and Fluorescent, the Whitespring. Hundreds of Flux and tons of mats from the Ghouls. Make sure to include the Golf Club.

For Crimson, you can find some down at FSP when you fight the Queen but for way more plants, drop the nuke SW or NW of Watoga.

Harpers Ferry, aiming the nuke slightly to the left of it, yields pretty much all types plus a decent amount of mobs.

Palace of the Winding Path also has all types but can lack enemies for mats farming.

Here are the Flux maps if you want to pick the best spots.

https://imgur.com/a/wi4q2TA

It should be obvious but don't forget to equip Green Thumb when you go harvesting. :)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I wonder if there's a reason the people of Diamond City think it's Christmas? I checked the console system date and it's correct.

e: I'm really loving stupid. :doh: It's Christmas in game not in IRL life. I'm just used to stuff like this happening on the real dates (like in D/Generation and uhh some other games I'm sure, but can't remember rear end to mouth).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Sensenmann posted:

Nah, that's spot on and true for all weapons.

However, the Flux you get from the queen will most likely not be enough to keep your weapons fed.

You need to craft your own Flux and for that you need the plants, 10 of each, plus one of high rad fluid, glowing mass and hardened mass.

For Violet, nuking FSP is enough. Drop the nuke right on top of FSP and fight the Queen inside the nuke zone. Tons of stabilizing mats that way.

For Cobalt, Morgantown. Include the airport in the nuke radius so if Collision Course triggers you get to farm 40-50 scorched on top of the enemies that happen to be there.

For Yellowcake and Fluorescent, the Whitespring. Hundreds of Flux and tons of mats from the Ghouls. Make sure to include the Golf Club.

For Crimson, you can find some down at FSP when you fight the Queen but for way more plants, drop the nuke SW or NW of Watoga.

Harpers Ferry, aiming the nuke slightly to the left of it, yields pretty much all types plus a decent amount of mobs.

Palace of the Winding Path also has all types but can lack enemies for mats farming.

Here are the Flux maps if you want to pick the best spots.

https://imgur.com/a/wi4q2TA

It should be obvious but don't forget to equip Green Thumb when you go harvesting. :)

thanks very much for the advice, i wondered why i could only really find violet and crimson around and i guess its because most people nuke the prime fissure site. i need to actually launch my own nuke at some point i just havent gotten around to collecting all the code pieces and figuring out how to decode them, i have all the other stuff you need.

i never seem to get enough high rad fluids, its always the major limiting factor on my flux crafting. maybe i will get the code pieces and blast the golf course.

i kinda want to try a build that uses mutations but idk if those are annoying like the low health builds are

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 31, 2022