Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

probably 99% of my time spent with git i just use it and it works fine. maybe more than 99%. i have also never stopped to seriously think about directed acyclic graphs while using git. however, i also know what they are, because i am familiar with more data structures than just an array

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

painful merges are rare for me unless some moron decides to rewrite everything

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

a lot of people deal with merge conflicts way more than they need to because they never bothered to learn what a rebase is or how to perform one

i used to work at a place that used mercurial and the first thing they did was have me download a CompanyNameMercurialExtensions.dll and shove it in my mercurial folder which caused it to yell at me and refuse to create 2 tips on one branch, among other things

feels like that's a feature where there's nothing wrong with it in theory but in practice nobody should ever want to do that on purpose

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

sb hermit posted:

Mercurial is fine. We use it at work. Having multiple heads on the same branch is not ideal for people who can't, for some reason, get their heads around the concept. For this reason, git might be a bit more user friendly in that aspect.

"I don't see that bug you reported"
"did you check out the correct branch and update? I'm at the tip"
"Yes. Did you know that there are two tips? And that you're the last committer for both?"
"Oh, uh, gimme a sec"

the biggest problem with mercurial and other dvcs solutions is that, like it or not, git won. these days, everything has git support built in (even perforce has a git compatibility layer), so if you use mercurial, the first thing new people have to do is learn how to use mercurial and then they will never stop complaining about how their favorite tool doesn't have it built in like it does git

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

raminasi posted:

you can absolutely tell the cli tool to move a subtree. it's a fundamental operation. git's problem is that it's called "rebase," which is obvious to no one. you're dismissing the graph model in the same breath that you talk about "incantations" and "clusterfucks of rebases and cherry-picks," which is the #1 symptom of someone using git without thinking about the graph. thinking of git as a series of "incantations" that need to be executed in some magical, correct order to accomplish tasks is the deficient approach that causes people to hate git and be bad at it, and it is 100% caused by dismissing the graph.

every git activity flow should be the same:

1) understand the current state of the graph
2) figure out the desired state of the graph
3) identify a series of graph transformations to turn (1) into (2)
3a) learn all the stupid names and flags that git uses for its transformations
4) do them

no, that's exactly my point. step (3a) is often one of the bigger hurdles in using git. even if you know the DAG model and what you want to do to it, you can't just will that change into being, and the actual UX around doing it is often rear end

mystes posted:

Probably because everyone is busy minmaxing their resume points by making everything as complicated as humanly possible?

or just straight overengineering everything cause of delusions of possible future grandeur. idk how to persuade one of my coworkers that not everything needs to be a very extensible framework. we got:
- a phone-home telemetry system. this used to work by just running a bunch of functions in sequence and concatenating their output to send it to a reporting server. we got a request to add a new metric. this request somehow turned into a complete overhaul of the system with the goal of somehow making it "extensible" (idk how, the simple-rear end interface of "generate a k=v string" was already sufficient to support anything the telemetry server can ingest) and something that other teams would also use (we are one of three golang teams in the org: one is not allowed to do phone-home metrics at all, and the other we did not consult with to see what they'd need in a shared library)
- a new internal alpha project. coworker wants to add a "plugin" system. the proposal to do this does not indicate specific intended uses or even which systems you'd be able to manipulate (or rather, it kinda does the latter, but it mentions every major system): the motivation is essentially that "plugin systems are good"

meanwhile the product we know _does_ need this treatment (it's a tool that we started using as a library, and we never worked to decouple the UI from the implementation or refactor its implementation to better support more than the one originally intended workflow) remains untouched, cause that's not greenfield

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

MrMoo posted:

What confuses me the most, is that the many senior developers I see have no respect for making projects easy to work with. It always gets brushed off and ignored.

i once attended a design review presented by two senior devs who needed to write a simple batch process and instead wrote a batch process that writes each item to kafka, processes the individual items, and then writes to a temp location for another batch process that then runs to complete the batch

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

12 rats tied together posted:

a lot of people deal with merge conflicts way more than they need to because they never bothered to learn what a rebase is or how to perform one

that doesn't really make sense to me; if you're the only one working on a branch rebasing makes no difference at all wrt merge conflicts, and if other people are working on it I guess you "don't deal" with the merge conflicts because the commit you're working off of suddenly disappears instead

i used to work at a place that used mercurial and the first thing they did was have me download a CompanyNameMercurialExtensions.dll and shove it in my mercurial folder which caused it to yell at me and refuse to create 2 tips on one branch, among other things

feels like that's a feature where there's nothing wrong with it in theory but in practice nobody should ever want to do that on purpose

seems like something that should be enforced at the central server (and iirc it's already a built-in feature that a non-force-push doesn't let you make multiple heads)

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

One of our repos has a tag named "list" that almost definitely got created because every command expects arguments differently like `-l`, `--list`, or `list`, depending on how the git devs were feeling at the time I guess.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
has anyone tried adding a new layer on top of git that just renames commands and other stuff to not be dogshit?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

many many times. they never last because they abstract too much, and when users of them land in a rough spot, they can no longer speak the the lingua franca of git misery

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
yeah that's about what i figured

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

cool av posted:

that doesn't really make sense to me; if you're the only one working on a branch rebasing makes no difference at all wrt merge conflicts,

the situation im thinking of is one where a shared base changes out from under you, people merge the base into their branch instead of rebasing on top of it, which results in repeatedly resolving the same or similar conflicts as git interleaves the new history of the base with the existing history of the branch. i assume that this + not enforcing a squash requirement on the base is what people mean when they talk about merge conflict hell etc

in a trunk based feature branch workflow it should never matter to you the order of commits between your branch and its base, you should always strive to strictly be "the single next merge commit to base", so you should rebase your branch on an updated base and just be "the next commit to whatever file" which is a no conflict operation

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It's always important to have a shared base, yes.

I liked when a coworker came to me because they were trying to get the last thing out of SVN and into Github and said, "I found a page on something called Gitflow?" and I got to say, "Ignore all that. Just coordinate so the two of you don't edit the same poo poo at the same time."

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

brand engager posted:

One of our repos has a tag named "list" that almost definitely got created because every command expects arguments differently like `-l`, `--list`, or `list`, depending on how the git devs were feeling at the time I guess.

i have done this (might have been with branch names though) and it is infuriating

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

MrMoo posted:

Coming up to a month having worked with a Googler refactoring a project, and I have a boat load of hot takes.

When developers look at code of The Carmack™ it is typically derided as being simple, but that is the advantage. He has consistently churned out legible and an extensible code base that is not masturbating on quirks, excepting the FP inverse square root API. This follows the adage that experts make things look simple, novices make things look complicated because they simply do not know what they are doing.

There is a project with an extensive code base that is a junior developer masterpiece. The saving grace is that nothing is complicated, just broken at every conceivable level. Now after a given refactoring, it's a a jumbo turd wrapped in a nerds ejaculate. I literally cannot work with it anymore.

What confuses me the most, is that the many senior developers I see have no respect for making projects easy to work with. It always gets brushed off and ignored.

Technical arrogance and hypocrisy is a thing apparently. I've heard both sides of the same argument used on diverse topics, such as from file system hard-links to mono-repos 🤷‍♀️

hey yeah this is global ime and something i get into poo poo about constantly

fight this fight folks, it needs to be done

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

qsvui posted:

why should i? it'll have no impact on my work

sure, learning new things is cool and all but let's not pretend that it's always going to enrich your life

how do you know that something you've somehow never heard of will have no impact on your work? "anything i don't already know must not be useful to know" is a pretty dumb way to go through life.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

redleader posted:

i have done this (might have been with branch names though) and it is infuriating

git tag rm something

oops

git tag -d rm

(going by memory but intended story is "made a tag called 'rm'")

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

the situation im thinking of is one where a shared base changes out from under you, people merge the base into their branch instead of rebasing on top of it, which results in repeatedly resolving the same or similar conflicts as git interleaves the new history of the base with the existing history of the branch. i assume that this + not enforcing a squash requirement on the base is what people mean when they talk about merge conflict hell etc

in a trunk based feature branch workflow it should never matter to you the order of commits between your branch and its base, you should always strive to strictly be "the single next merge commit to base", so you should rebase your branch on an updated base and just be "the next commit to whatever file" which is a no conflict operation

merging the latest base branch commit into your feature branch requires resolving conflicts up to that point, you don't have to do it again... exactly the same as rebasing on top of the latest base branch commit; there's really no functional difference except an extra edge in the DAG

(extraneous edges can be problematic in situations with 3 or more criss-crossing branches, but Please Don't Do That and afaik you can't make that workflow work with rebasing either because you have to pick one of the other 2 branches to rebase off)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

cool av posted:

merging the latest base branch commit into your feature branch requires resolving conflicts up to that point, you don't have to do it again... exactly the same as rebasing on top of the latest base branch commit; there's really no functional difference except an extra edge in the DAG

(extraneous edges can be problematic in situations with 3 or more criss-crossing branches, but Please Don't Do That and afaik you can't make that workflow work with rebasing either because you have to pick one of the other 2 branches to rebase off)

yes, these are the obvious ways to go about it if you understand what a commit graph is and how you want it to evolve, and it all works pretty smoothly.

if you are someone who does not understand what a commit graph is, does not want to learn what one is, and just plows through rote-learning specific incantations that appear to do what you want them to do, it is possible to do very silly things with git that will cause you lots of merge pain. if you then try to fix it by looking up more incantations on stack overflow instead of actually trying to understand how things work, then you can easily gently caress things up even worse from there.

the onion wizard
Apr 14, 2004

pokeyman posted:

git tag rm something

oops

git tag -d rm

(going by memory but intended story is "made a tag called 'rm'")

that's why I use a GUI for 95% of git stuff (fork, specifically)

Jabor posted:

if you are someone who does not understand what a commit graph is, does not want to learn what one is, and just plows through rote-learning specific incantations that appear to do what you want them to do, it is possible to do very silly things with git that will cause you lots of merge pain. if you then try to fix it by looking up more incantations on stack overflow instead of actually trying to understand how things work, then you can easily gently caress things up even worse from there.

I had a co-worker do this in his first few weeks at the company last year; he must've just discovered rebasing or something. Ended up pushing 3 sets of the same 4 or 5 nearly identical commits with a couple of merges.

he hasn't hosed it since then (afaik) so that's progress I guess.

edit: I should add this place does not have PRs or code reviews, so that mess lives

the onion wizard fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 1, 2022

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

qsvui posted:

no, no, no, no, no

as for the last one, lol. you don't need to know what a dag is to use a compiler.

How have you never used dependencies?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
embedded linux, they might literally just only have libc

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

embedded linux, they might literally just only have libc

how someone contributes to buildroot but has never used make graph-depends is mind boggling to me tho

Deffon
Mar 28, 2010

Xarn posted:

I sidestep the issue of working with dags by making every function only reference itself.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
graphs are everywhere and I work with them all the time but I don’t particularly think of git as one tbh

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

akadajet posted:

painful merges are rare for me unless some moron decides to rewrite everything

the secret here is to be the guy that rewrites everything

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

one of the things I really like about using the MVC pattern is that it's easy to not overlap work between people, though if you do and you get a merge conflict on a cshtml view, god help you

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

one of the things I really like about using the MVC pattern is that it's easy to not overlap work between people, though if you do and you get a merge conflict on a cshtml view, god help you

:yossame: but for vuejs. "wait where did this thing go?" is too common a question

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Oh that reminds me, almost everyone should change the git config so pull.rebase=true (will rebase instead of doing a merge commit if your local branch had changes not in the remote when you pull) and merge.conflictstyle=diff3 (shows what the conflicting section looked like in the common ancestor commit before yours and the other conflicting branch changed it). There's probably plenty more I don't know about, a bunch of the default git settings are terrible.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
rebase looks way less messy than merge. if you gently caress up rebase materially you lose data whereas thats less a thing w merge

diff3 is good tho

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 1, 2022

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Just use lazygit and 95% of your git tasks are like, 3 keystrokes at most. Even makes squashing commits a seamless, one step process like it probably should be in the CLI.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Just use lazygit and 95% of your git tasks are like, 3 keystrokes at most. Even makes squashing commits a seamless, one step process like it probably should be in the CLI.

i couldnt figure it out so: how do i squash more than one commit at a time?

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
I just go one at a time, then edit the commit message once I'm done. Lazy, but it works. I think you can tag the commits to squash as fixup commits with f then S on the next commit under them to autosquash all though.

InternetOfTwinks fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 1, 2022

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Plorkyeran posted:

how do you know that something you've somehow never heard of will have no impact on your work? "anything i don't already know must not be useful to know" is a pretty dumb way to go through life.

i've been doing the same embedded c poo poo for like a decade now. pretty sure this field won't catch up to the rest of the world before i'm dead.

also, where'd this dumb projection about "anything" come from? we're talking about one thing that nobody besides computer touchers needs to know (and not even then)

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Share Bear posted:

i use "git rebase -i HEAD^^^^^" and insert s'es

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Xarn posted:

it's me, i'm the terrible programmer

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Share Bear posted:

right click how far back you wanna go and choose interactive rebase

use the git-fork.com app, not the garbage cli

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The_Franz posted:

he didn't write that. it came to quake3 from someone who was at sgi where the constants were tweaked at some point during the 90s, but the actual origin is unknown. it was probably originally invented by some random person in a cubicle at sgi or sun or dec or wherever in the 80s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm0vygzVXeE

this video by an ex-microsoft engineer places it as a collaboration at xerox parc with some okay sourcing.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Arivia posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm0vygzVXeE

this video by an ex-microsoft engineer places it as a collaboration at xerox parc with some okay sourcing.
Xerox parc really invented everything, huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

brand engager posted:

shows what the conflicting section looked like in the common ancestor commit

omg i've been doing 3-way git diffs this whole time (because it is the default on my tool) and always wondered wtf the middle one was supposed to be. usually i just copy and paste either "mine" or "theirs" into the middle and work from there