Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Is there a thread for the cycle: frontier or is it discussed here? It looks like a space Tarkov which isn't terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Ok, see the thing about the videogame Escape from Tarkov, a game produced by BattleState Games is that it requires you To Be Good at the game in order to get anything done. And in this essay I'll tell you about how the best way to Get Good at this little videogame we call Escape from Tarkov is to learn how to earn income passively. By far the best way to earn income, both actively and passively, is to first start off running the best map in the game: Woods. Specifically, Woods at night time. Both due to the increased concealment it provides (being dark) and also being completely loving cool and awesome and really dope because you can roleplay as your favorite low speed-high-drag operator. Because it's dark and also in the woods. There are a large number of stashes on woods and it would behoove you to learn ALL of them, mostly because Woods is the best map and also all other maps are DOGSHIT so if you're struggling in this game it is probably because you haven't touched enough stashes in Woods. Stashes, they are a container in this game and they can contain a great number of things, many of them valuable (think like pirate BOOTY and doubloons and things) which can help get you good at Escape from Tarkov, mostly because looting doubloons allows you to have greater purchasing power because these things are valuable and as a result allow you to access better weapons and equipment to give your Private Military Contractor (PMC) a greater capacity at killing. At this point you should have probably stopped reading because this is, in fact, a joke. Well not completely a joke because playing the map Woods, at night, is not only great but also gives you extremely acute sexual prowess and will impress not only your romantic partners, but also other Alpha Males you may encounter in day to day life. Get good and go to Woods. At night. Because all other maps are DOGSHIT.

:hmmyes:

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

socialsecurity posted:

Is there a thread for the cycle: frontier or is it discussed here? It looks like a space Tarkov which isn't terrible.

Wait, I thought Mauraders was the "space Tarkov?"

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

They both are, though the are rather different takes on the same rough style/genre.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Cycle Frontier was interesting at first but it's got a much more arcadey handling of gun mechanics and a loot tier system so it falls into the trap of new players just getting impossibly stomped by some dude with a god tier weapon and no real way to get around that. There's no equivalent of scavs that you can try to loot something slightly more functional than a Space Obrez from, and the damage stats etc being part of the tiered loot mechanic means that, unlike in Tarkov where you can hit someone right in the dome with an Obrez and it's still a 7.62x54R round to the face, your base tier gun is going to mildly annoy the chad with legendary everything for the following 0.2 seconds after which you will no longer be alive.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
They introduced Co-op to offline mode, finally. It should be way easier to practice in this game. Not just running around with a buddy merrily popping braindead AI learning how to shoot and the layout of the maps, but also using screen streaming to test out various mechanics of the game.
Just dicking around in a consequence free tarkov with nightmare guns was what I wanted... It has so much more potential than that.

Nutsak posted:

It means Tyler is blaming steam audio for dying instead of his audio setup and should watch Veritas' explanation on how the audio works in Tarkov. Granted, it's not without fault but a lot of the time people have poo poo wrong (are using "7.1 surround headphones", have "spatial audio" turned on in Windows ) .

I went from using my Creative G6's internal audio stuff to just pressing the "direct audio" button when I play Tarkov and the difference is night and day.

So turning off spatial audio and using a Headphone profile for sound output (if using headphones) with binaural audio ON is The Way?
I've been confuseded as to how to calibrate sound properly in this game. I remember a time when it gave me superhuman abilities, because it actually worked half right.

Is there a set of approved videos for "getting good"? I'm dropping my current in-game skills and going back to square 1. Just running around woods and factory relearning how to move and shoot in offline. No maps either.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
After the expansion, I have to admit Woods loving rock.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

NeoSeeker posted:

So turning off spatial audio and using a Headphone profile for sound output (if using headphones) with binaural audio ON is The Way?

Correct. Spatial audio attempts to simulate the way a surround sound setup sounds by creating virtual surround sound speaker channels and then doing a bunch of math to make it sound in headphones kinda like a proper surround setup. Tarkov's headphone profile + binaural audio does transformation math on sound sources in the game to simulate the way sounds from different places behave based on the geometry of the scene, so it's a lot more accurate and can handle things like walls and sound reflectivity and muffling.

Tarkov's binaural audio system uses the Steam Audio middleware that is basically the current generation evolution of CS:GO's HRTF audio system. I suspect that any real bugs with it are actually issues on the Unity side.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Kikas posted:

After the expansion, I have to admit Woods loving rock.

I haven’t played for a couple wiped but I do enjoy a merry little hike from Scav Bunker to Village where my uber is waiting. Always find a few gold chains, maybe a watch, very rarely a bitcoin. And more food than you can shake a stick at.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Don't get the Woods love. You guys all playing at night or in groups or something?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What's the best map to play as a SCAV? Personally, I enjoy Reserve due to the openness near the bunker area. Interrupting PMCs fighting raiders is fun as hell.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Interchange and lighthouse are good money makers

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

What's the best map to play as a SCAV? Personally, I enjoy Reserve due to the openness near the bunker area. Interrupting PMCs fighting raiders is fun as hell.

Reserve is crazy fun still. Particularly if you get a twilight raid and a gun with a scope.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The inability to drop stuff for my friends that helps their hideout really kicked the wind out of this game for me.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
Right now lighthouse is a massive money maker for me. Since this wipe they opened up the ability to get on the rooftops in the chemical plant, it's easy to run down there, loot 2 or 3 rogue bodies and run out at the Industrial Gate with a bunch of very valuable guns and armor. Easily make like 250k each time I survive a run. Only thing to watch out for is that there's a lot more scav on scav violence there than any other map

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

The inability to drop stuff for my friends that helps their hideout really kicked the wind out of this game for me.

Just drop your bag with the stuff in it

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

socialsecurity posted:

Nah, there isn't a thread for that game. But I play it if you ever want to talk about it, have questions or need someone to play with. I've played since the very first alpha.

Kazinsal posted:

Cycle Frontier was interesting at first but it's got a much more arcadey handling of gun mechanics and a loot tier system so it falls into the trap of new players just getting impossibly stomped by some dude with a god tier weapon and no real way to get around that. There's no equivalent of scavs that you can try to loot something slightly more functional than a Space Obrez from, and the damage stats etc being part of the tiered loot mechanic means that, unlike in Tarkov where you can hit someone right in the dome with an Obrez and it's still a 7.62x54R round to the face, your base tier gun is going to mildly annoy the chad with legendary everything for the following 0.2 seconds after which you will no longer be alive.

Definitely accurate and unfortunately, with the way weapons work in that game, you can't really solo against a few players since the TTK isn't like Tarkov at all. If you run into a trio you are almost always gonna lose, even if you manage to take 1 down. While there are no scav runs, knife runs can be super profitable since the knife is like the most powerful weapon in the game. I still do knife runs when I want to spice things up a bit because knifing some chad wearing the best gear is one of the funnest things you can do in that game. And with the way the safe pockets work, you can always get out of a match with some money, especially if you just loot jackets and briefcases.

Unfortunately, the game is free and cheating is rampant because, even if the cheater gets banned, they can just make a new account and get right back to cheating.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

hello internet posted:

Just drop your bag with the stuff in it

This won’t trigger the disappearing act?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Vahakyla posted:

He just means you're supposed to drop your bag whenever anything happens in Tarkov, like all the streamers do

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
just carry them through a raid and make them learn to not be bad

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

He just means you're supposed to drop your bag whenever anything happens in Tarkov, like all the streamers do

I did a scav run yesterday and found a better bag. As soon as I dropped the old one to pick up the new one, another scav called me out saying I was a player for dropping my bag.

Nah dude? I just found a better one and was upgrading?

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Vahakyla posted:

Won't work, the stuff inside just goes poof instead. Your friend will have to search through filing cabinets and other filthy places to get their hideout going. Either that or grind to level 15 so they can fleamarket the things they need.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The game is already miserable enough before you hit 15, and I don't know why they keep making the early quests and hideout construction more complicated unless misery is exactly the point.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

unless misery is exactly the point.
Now you're getting it.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Shumagorath posted:

misery is exactly the point.

Pretty sure Nikita said this verbatim, or something very similar.

He knows Tarkov is a kick in the nuts. It's by design.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
I guess I'm one of the few weirdos who loves pre-flea market time when all you have is a double barrel and a dream. Fights feel super satisfying when you punch well above your weight

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

Shumagorath posted:

unless misery is exactly the point.

Well, that and upselling you on EoD that just so happens to be insanely useful for collecting those pre-flea hideout/crafting components... See also: The stash upgrades costing a total of ~40 million RUB and the vendor rep situation with Jaeger in particular.

Or you can just drop 140 bucks in real life and that all becomes easy street and you can use that 40 million to get better gear/ammo and survive more raids.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Nerfing teamwork to combat RMT is just so frustrating. "yeha just carry your friends while they search" is obviously legit advice, but it's stupid that it is demanded. Friends help friends, and game being slightly easier if you have friends helping isn't some giant flaw, it's what makes games more fun.

It's just pissing me off. I got like 1500 hours in Tarkov and this feels the shittiest of all the things they've pulled.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Tibbeh posted:

I guess I'm one of the few weirdos who loves pre-flea market time when all you have is a double barrel and a dream. Fights feel super satisfying when you punch well above your weight
true, but only if (most)other players aren't insanely geared compared to you.

if you enter a wipe near the end it's pretty bonkers in a not good way

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Don't forget Peacekeeper 2 at 14 provided you spend the in-game USD.

The flea bans have really gone overkill and I hope they implement something more targeted in the future. I'd gladly put up with Easy Anti-Cheat provided it didn't end up like Division 2 where people DDoS you over the VoIP to win.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 1, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm a very casual player of this game and I have never gotten anywhere close to the level required to unlock the flea market. It's frustrating knowing so much of this game feels like it's basically designed for the streamers who get paid to play for 8 hours a day and the sweatlords who do it voluntarily. I'd probably get farther if I devoted more time to it than I do but it's just a uniquely frustrating game and usually give up until the next wipe after a particularly lovely raid.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I've been taking it very very easy this wipe, I have 26 PMC raids RN, so less than 1 per day since wipe, and I just unlocked flea. Now obv I haven't had an average of 6200xp per played raid, but focus on questing is your friend.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Questing is key. My friend and I faffed about for half our first season and it was an utter slog until we started questing. It helped that we were behind the curve enough to avoid everyone rushing for the same spots. Flea was level 20 that wipe too :negative:

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Fancy_Lad posted:

Well, that and upselling you on EoD that just so happens to be insanely useful for collecting those pre-flea hideout/crafting components... See also: The stash upgrades costing a total of ~40 million RUB and the vendor rep situation with Jaeger in particular.

Or you can just drop 140 bucks in real life and that all becomes easy street and you can use that 40 million to get better gear/ammo and survive more raids.
Well good news for those without 140 bucks! There's a summer sale from August 3 to August 6, 2022 :v:

https://twitter.com/bstategames/status/1554079678960472070

● Standard Edition - 15% discount
● Left Behind Edition - 15% discount
● Prepare for Escape Edition - 15% discount
● Edge of Darkness Limited Edition - 20% discount

● Discounts on all types of pre-order package upgrades - 15% off

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

Vahakyla posted:

Aren't most of the hideout areas lvl locked (by traders) and kinda useless without being able to buy/sell on the flea anyway?

Not finding an awl for ages made Ice Cream Cones a little more difficult, but it didn't change much else before lvl 15 for me.

Tibbeh posted:

You're not. Game is better when people are putting kits together from bits and pieces. The issue I guess is that then people who are bad at PVP also end up using worse stuff and vice versa.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

Aren't most of the hideout areas lvl locked (by traders) and kinda useless without being able to buy/sell on the flea anyway?

Not finding an awl for ages made Ice Cream Cones a little more difficult, but it didn't change much else before lvl 15 for me.

You're not. Game is better when people are putting kits together from bits and pieces. The issue I guess is that then people who are bad at PVP also end up using worse stuff and vice versa.
giving 50k in parts for illuminating 2 or firing range or quest keys can be the difference between getting players hooked or losing players. I think it's a bad change. They want to make the game focused around 1 to 15 but still have a curve issue due to the flea

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Tarkov's more forgiving than a couple of my IRL hobbies but the trader and hideout gating really don't help. All the weird items and tools should at least have barter trades or other ways to bootstrap your season without needing the Red Torx Screwdriver of Shithousing.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 1, 2022

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I don't mind the hideout changes, but I do think the changes to keys are bad because you just hit arbitrary walls that stop quest progress dead in your tracks

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I think it all misses the point a bit anyway. All these changes to combat RMT; but we're on what, the seventh? Eighth? Round of changes designed to stop. Surely this time it will work and solve all the problems unlike the last half dozen times! Instead of just making the game way more inconvenient and arbitrary. Say, I wonder what drives people to want to buy items for real cash? Do you think it's because they're inconvenient to get normally?

Runescape had the same problem for ever, and just like Tarkov they imposed more and more restrictions until there were very few ways to move items between people. Ultimately they gave up and the RMT people "won" I guess, but it also made the game better to be able to trade items with your friends, and the RMT trading turned out to not be that big of a problem anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

Fart Car '97 posted:

I don't mind the hideout changes, but I do think the changes to keys are bad because you just hit arbitrary walls that stop quest progress dead in your tracks

Did they change keys? I've done a few jacket runs and the dop rate feels lower.