Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Something that tends to get overlooked when people downgrade Wilt/Russell for their level of competition is how perversely modern their games were. If you just looked at a picture of Wilt and his stat line you'd expect him to play like a young Shaq but his game was actually much more similar to Kevin Garnett, if Kevin Garnett was 7'2 and built like Karl Malone. Russell's whole deal on offense was that he was brilliant at facilitating incredibly quick possessions. They both played at a speed and with a skillset that would translate incredibly well to the current game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Maybe the last few years were just quiet because of the pandemic but it feels like every player is doing like eight pro-ams this summer

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Criminal Minded posted:

Something that tends to get overlooked when people downgrade Wilt/Russell for their level of competition is how perversely modern their games were. If you just looked at a picture of Wilt and his stat line you'd expect him to play like a young Shaq but his game was actually much more similar to Kevin Garnett, if Kevin Garnett was 7'2 and built like Karl Malone. Russell's whole deal on offense was that he was brilliant at facilitating incredibly quick possessions. They both played at a speed and with a skillset that would translate incredibly well to the current game.

On defense he played way more like a modern defensive player too. There's a half of him vs wilt on YouTube and they both had like 5-6 blocks a piece in the first half and the announcers barely commented on it (before blocks were recorded).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I bet Russell woulda been similar to Moses Malone or at worst, Mutombo. So utterly forceful at the things he excels at that his shortcomings are irrelevant.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I bet Russell woulda been similar to Moses Malone or at worst, Mutombo. So utterly forceful at the things he excels at that his shortcomings are irrelevant.

Draymond?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

kingcobweb posted:

Lmao at Shams tweeting the news two minutes after the official Bill Russell account instead of pressing the convenient RT button

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Danny ainge almost tweeted the news out.

Algund Eenboom posted:

11-time NBA champion and five-time Most Valuable Player, Bill Russell, passed away today at the age of 88. He is survived by his booking agency, AthleteSpeakers.com.

Lmfao goddamn

RIP to a true legend in so many more ways than just basketball.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
A great player and a better person. No he wasn’t as good as Wilt and his offensive limitations probably keep him out of the top ten all time, but clearly he was the most impactful defender of all time. Plus rings Ernuh.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

predicto posted:

A great player and a better person. No he wasn’t as good as Wilt and his offensive limitations probably keep him out of the top ten all time, but clearly he was the most impactful defender of all time. Plus rings Ernuh.

he was better than wilt in every way which matters

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

There's a half of him vs wilt on YouTube and they both had like 5-6 blocks a piece in the first half and the announcers barely commented on it (before blocks were recorded).
I'm pretty sure that would have been because that was probably an average half for both of them.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Criminal Minded posted:

Watch Wilt's post-up game here.

If that analyst is correct, 60% of his FGs coming from post-up fadeaways is a pretty loving :stare: stat.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
bank bank bank. he's timmy. he's kobe. he's javale mcgee. he is all of these men and more in one

this is a pretty awesome Remember some Guys video in great quality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yugzCLNsjHs

Brolander fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 1, 2022

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

russell had a more well-rounded game on offense than people remember (check those assist numbers in a much harsher statistical environment with worse shooters)

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

anakha posted:

Watch Wilt's post-up game here.
"When this giant walks out onto the floor, the 76ers automatically have a great number of points." the ur-Magic commentating on this poo poo

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Lady Radia posted:

he was better than wilt in every way which matters

I didn’t know Bill Simmons was a goon

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

russell had a more well-rounded game on offense than people remember (check those assist numbers in a much harsher statistical environment with worse shooters)

Very Good passer for a big guy, but he scored 15 ppg on 44 percent shooting despite being right around the basket and being far more athletic during his time than anyone other than Young Wilt (before Wilt wrecked his knees). Bill basically shot around league average for his career. Meanwhile, Wilt scored 30 ppg on 54 percent shooting. Wilt also got more assists than Bill, more rebounds, etc.

This clearly is not the right time for me to say anything negative about the man. He was a real one and a winner and a civil rights legend. But I don’t think that saying that overall he wasn’t quite as good as Wilt or a very small group of maybe ten or so other legendary players in the history of the game is really that controversial of a take

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
That clip of Russell jumping over a dude in transition is unbelievable.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Always remember to remind people that they still played 82 game seasons. You know, in case they're some of those dumbasses that talk about doughy rec league players. Well you know what? Fine. But Bill and Wilt also played against other peak athletes, such as, you know, each other. And they did it much more frequently because there weren't nearly as many teams.

Imagine having to play Lebron double digit times in a season.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/1554119544213409793?s=20&t=Rb2vPex-YyypSlOH9Dk7lA

shocked

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Lol Cuban/the Mavs claimed they were not going to report this. I guess the league decided it was too blatant to ignore.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Good.

Even better when the investigation finds nothing. But I want someone to be inconvenienced.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The gently caress you gonna do to us Silver, we already waste all our assets

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/SDinwiddie_25/status/1554128077046697985

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I feel like the bar of "don't release the exact terms of the contract before FA starts and then have the player sign those exact terms" is pretty easy to clear and if teams can't be bothered to do even that, take away a 2nd rounder or something.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Bill Russell loving OWNED. I think I always assumed he was overrated or whatever because of how annoying Bill Simmons and his ilk are about him, but nope. Absolute legend.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Lockback posted:

I feel like the bar of "don't release the exact terms of the contract before FA starts and then have the player sign those exact terms" is pretty easy to clear and if teams can't be bothered to do even that, take away a 2nd rounder or something.

The rule either needs more teeth or it shouldn’t be there at all. Free agency should start the day after the Finals ends.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Declan MacManus posted:

yeah, it's just bizarre that he managed to shoot in the low 40s despite being stronger, faster, and longer than almost everyone on the court.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Are we talking about russell westbrook orrr

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Doltos posted:

Are we talking about russell westbrook orrr

Whats there to talk about

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

DeimosRising posted:

yeah, it's just bizarre that he managed to shoot in the low 40s despite being stronger, faster, and longer than almost everyone on the court.

too committed to CHAMPIONSHIPS and TEAM PLAY and DEFENSE and WINNING to learn how to put a lil more touch on those layups

you gotta remember the mikan drill was cutting edge at that point

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Yes the game is probably three x better than it used to be. But he can’t time travel. Legend in his time and That’s good enough

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Dejan Bimble posted:

Yes the game is probably three x better than it used to be. But he can’t time travel. Legend in his time and That’s good enough

The conversation I've had with my friends is that the all-timers would've been great in any era, but the floor of talent to get into the NBA is so much higher than it used to be due to international talent and better development at home. The best are still the best, but today's benchwarmers would be top tier talent in the past.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Declan MacManus posted:

too committed to CHAMPIONSHIPS and TEAM PLAY and DEFENSE and WINNING to learn how to put a lil more touch on those layups

you gotta remember the mikan drill was cutting edge at that point

but it was league average shooting even at the time, is the weird part. i'm not comparing him to modern guys in that way, it's just weird that he wasn't one of the better scorers of the era, even

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Maybe he just didn't have the best hands for shooting, for all his obvious skills on defense.

Maybe more plays went through him than should have, because he was the star. I'm not gonna claim they were the same player by any means, but what would Ben Wallace's stat line look like if you tossed him back through time and he was clearly his team's star player with his obvious talents?

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
I regret to report that as punishment for tampering, James Dolan is being forced to sell the Knicks. He will also be forced to compose the new NBA 2K title song, and will only be payed studio musician rates.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/Jpdabrams/status/1554103095109484550?s=20&t=Rb2vPex-YyypSlOH9Dk7lA

quote:

“When Red and I had started to discuss my becoming coach, there were some things we didn’t have to say,” Russell wrote in his book about his friendship with Auerbach in 2009. “For example, when I was finally named publicly, I didn’t know that I had just become the first African-American coach in the history of major league sports.”

It was 1966, and the distinction did not cross his mind until Boston reporters informed him. “When I took the job, one reporter wrote seven articles focusing on why I shouldn’t be coaching the Celtics,” Russell wrote.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

morestuff posted:

“When I took the job, one reporter wrote seven articles focusing on why I shouldn’t be coaching the Celtics,” Russell wrote.
the reporter: Dan Shaughnessy's father

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/YourManDevine/status/1554175817474871297?s=20&t=Rb2vPex-YyypSlOH9Dk7lA

quote:

When Players Only started last fall, it was billed as a unique NFT project, co-founded by Michael Carter-Williams,

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I don't watch as much basketball as I ever mean to, and I'm parachuting into the thread, but I would like to say this about Bill Russell's passing: the game is a lot better to me with a GOAT so far up Mount Olympus that nobody can ever dream of touching him. He dominated an era in a way we're unlikely to ever see again, while not even being the strongest player at the time, and breaking off-court barriers so those who came after wouldn't need to. It just doesn't matter so much to me whether Kareem or MJ would cook him; in my head, they'd hit their averages and lose the series, just like Wilt.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

duodenum posted:

Draymond?

He said the shortcomings would be irrelevant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

Ohtori Akio posted:

I don't watch as much basketball as I ever mean to, and I'm parachuting into the thread, but I would like to say this about Bill Russell's passing: the game is a lot better to me with a GOAT so far up Mount Olympus that nobody can ever dream of touching him. He dominated an era in a way we're unlikely to ever see again, while not even being the strongest player at the time, and breaking off-court barriers so those who came after wouldn't need to. It just doesn't matter so much to me whether Kareem or MJ would cook him; in my head, they'd hit their averages and lose the series, just like Wilt.

Reg date of July 2022, this might actually be bill simmons