Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Maybe the Cubs will forget to trade Contreras before the deadline? Every minute brings me hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

seiferguy posted:

Hosmer still has a 112 OPS+. I get he's never been a SLG guy and you could probably get better out of a 1B, but it's not as if he's worthless.

He's still owed 3/39 for his age 33-35 seasons and his WAR totals for the last 5 seasons have been -0.5, -0.9, 0.7, 0.6, 0.4 with no reason to really think he's going to magically learn how to not constantly hit the ball on the ground directly into the shift in his mid-30's. I agree that a team trading for him isn't necessarily immediately going to DFA him or try to buy him out of his contract, but he's definitely not a guy anybody is taking without SD attaching an attractive prospect or two as a sweetener.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Did the Orioles seriously trade Mancini to mainly get another pitching prospect...who's ALREADY INJURED???? What a bad trade. And I realize dealing Mancini was the correct move. But jesus christ this organization does not need more injured pitching talent.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

hot dang, Dads making moves, I was starting to be convinced there'd be no deal

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
gently caress you Hosmer

I'm still mad that Preller signed him in the first place - just completely pointless.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sydin posted:

He's still owed 3/39 for his age 33-35 seasons and his WAR totals for the last 5 seasons have been -0.5, -0.9, 0.7, 0.6, 0.4 with no reason to really think he's going to magically learn how to not constantly hit the ball on the ground directly into the shift in his mid-30's. I agree that a team trading for him isn't necessarily immediately going to DFA him or try to buy him out of his contract, but he's definitely not a guy anybody is taking without SD attaching an attractive prospect or two as a sweetener.

On the plus side… shift ban coming. It’s probably not rational to assume Hosmer will become a MVP contender but if the Padres are looking to unload him and pay the bulk of his salary maybe that’s a worthwhile lottery pick? There’s gotta be a list of dudes who the league thinks will most benefit from the death of the shift and who might be a value grab before it happens.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Artix posted:

Man, I know you want to sell high on relievers but gently caress, this deadline sucks. I can at least understand why we traded Trey even if I don't like it, what are we getting by trading Lopez? Our AAA guys for the bullpen have sucked, this is just dealing our closer because ????
agree, trading Trey was fine

I don't get this, Lopez had 2 more seasons of control. Did they just not want to pay him? Taking a bunch of guys who probably won't be helping us in the next two years for our all-star representing closer lol.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Please do something Dombrowski

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

Maybe the Cubs will forget to trade Contreras before the deadline? Every minute brings me hope.

They'll announce Willson signed an 8-year extension with the Cubs

Please?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Please do something Dombrowskiwhoever the Mets GM is currently

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This return for the Nats is light right? I’m not imagining things? They are sending Bell as well and not even dumping Corbin?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I don't think the Nats could have got much more, from the Padres or anyone else, but getting "fair value" for a guy like Soto is basically impossible

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

This return for the Nats is light right? I’m not imagining things? They are sending Bell as well and not even dumping Corbin?

There's been a lot of rumors swirling the last couple days that the prospect return for Soto from any team was going to be much lighter than originally conceived. At the end of the day I think the Nats maybe tipped their hand too hard and teams knew they were under ownership mandate to move Soto now, which gave them leverage to refuse offering the entire top end of their farms + MLB talent.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

bawfuls posted:

I think they got a really good return, but it's light in the sense that they gave up a possible future Hall of Famer when they could have just kept him and paid him.

I really like James Wood, he's a 6'7" extremely athletic outfielder who is OPSing over 1.000 (with only 17% K rate) in Single A despite being over 2 years younger than the rest of the level.

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1554502698879389696?s=20&t=D-aW_8Z2PjlFRT2tzvIMyw

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya it's light cause its Juan Soto but no team would have given more.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Soto was probably not going to get a huge haul that the Nats were originally leveraging for, and the Nats know his value is at it's highest and only goes down as he loses team control so they probably panicked a bit.

Either get the Padres deal, or keep Soto for the next 2 1/2 seasons while they remain uncompetitive.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Just going with “Rizzo was shook by AF fleecing him last year” as my headcanon on this one

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1554518152704311301?s=20&t=zocUrNe2S4tHwoPIN7-7wg

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The state of the league where you flip the 23 year old superstar for a sandwich, more Guys In A-Ball, and someone else winds up with Homsar because a billionaire won’t open the vault.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah there is no fair compensation for a guy like Soto. The prospect haul seems roughly what you want and better than or comparable to any of the other publicly proposed packages. Bell being included is odd but maybe needed to get X over Y. But you’re never gonna get a sure thing star with years to match Soto because no one wants to give up their sure thing star with years. The Nats did so whelp. You get what they offer.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1554515620582105094

gently caress off Dodgers, they're supposed to be Blue Jays!!!

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Popete posted:

Tatis Jr. pulls Hosmer to the side and explains how he needs to do this as a team player.

Lol

Just DFA his rear end Preller

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

And so it begins.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ColdBlooded posted:

Lol

Just DFA his rear end Preller
I hope he does and Hosmer gets real mad about it

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I still can't believe the Cardinals missed out on Soto because they refused to trade Dylan Carson. lol, just lmao.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sydin posted:

I still can't believe the Cardinals missed out on Soto because they refused to trade Dylan Carson. lol, just lmao.

Watch Carlson stink but then a guy named Quacky Struthers who was drafted in the 45th round win 7 consecutive MVPs

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

fight fight fight

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Ahahahahashahahahahahashaha

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Despite everyone knowing the Nats are for sale, I don't think I've heard of a single rumored buyer.

It would be really funny if no one wanted to buy the Nats

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The worst thing about this trade is it might make Dodgers tickets in San Diego more expensive next month

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1554521787790139394

Sure why not. Groshans power is gone now so whatever.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1554522155349598211?s=20&t=jFScL2MT7oJhQ3Nd1BWg2w

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
https://twitter.com/susanslusser/status/1554521100695900160

I know there's still hours left in the trade deadline so I will hold off on my full McMagic/DaveCrazy style meltdown until the dust settles and the Giants have done nothing but trade for a single average middle infielder.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Despite everyone knowing the Nats are for sale, I don't think I've heard of a single rumored buyer.

It would be really funny if no one wanted to buy the Nats

Walgreens should just buy them, fulfill their destiny.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Groshans for multiple pieces feels weird. Is this gonna be a salary dump from the Marlins?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I'm not sure Groshans is on any top 100 lists anymore.

The Jays Bullpen is mostly former Marlins now

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

I'm not sure Groshans is on any top 100 lists anymore.

The Jays Bullpen is mostly former Marlins now

Still #82 on MLB.com's top 100!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

zach pop

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I can't imagine any Jays fan is mad about this one, makes total sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hand Knit posted:

Groshans for multiple pieces feels weird. Is this gonna be a salary dump from the Marlins?

It could be like a fallout from Soto. Everyone was saving their best assets to try and get him so now that he’s off the market you gotta get something and the remaining sellers have some leverage. Could result in a market bubble?

I don’t actually know what I’m talking about. And why Miami would be in on it I dunno. So ignore me.