Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which August 16th release are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Blossom Tales 2: The Minotaur Prince [PC, Switch] – August 16 12 21.82%
Rollerdrome [PC, PS5, PS4] – August 16 31 56.36%
Tribes of Midgard [XSX, XBO, Switch] – August 16 5 9.09%
Way of the Hunter [PC, PS5, XSX] – August 16 7 12.73%
Total: 55 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
https://twitter.com/DrainBamager/status/1554483095260110848

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Given a choice between defense and attack, I'm more likely to pick defense since I am not good at avoiding damage in games.

That being said,

Saint Freak posted:

Anyways the answer is level Luck/Crit because it's the most fun.

is the correct answer in games where luck actually does something.

I went through all of Bowser's Inside Story only leveling up Luigi's and Mario's mustache stat. The only regret I have with that game is that I didn't realize that if you pick the same stat each time, the game will lower the amount you get if you continue picking that stat, so I don't know if I would have had more stache by occasionally popping a level in another stat or not.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Jay Rust posted:

When I was a young gamer, unable to decide whether to level up my attack stat or my defence stat, my gamer friend put it thusly: “would you rather have a normal amount of health but defeat enemies in one hit, or deal a normal amount of damage but be invincible”, and to this day I don’t know the correct answer

It depends too much on the game. How big are encounters? Do enemies use a lot of status effects? I usually pick attack over defense because wounded enemies are just as deadly as fresh ones, but dead enemies don’t do poo poo.

There’s a game called Tactical Nexus that’s very much about this question. Your decision to pick up a +1 Def item on floor 1 could be the deciding factor to whether you can beat floor 10.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

imo the best defense is a good offense. If I end the fight quicker I don't have time to make mistakes

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

X JAKK posted:

Gameplay footage of Gotham Knights is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjFFzgT8YOA

So freeflow combat is gone, instead we get the generic industry standard 3 light hits or hold for heavy hit melee, no counters, just dodge, and presumably predator encounters are out too, and the gameplay in this video was GODAWFUL, so Im confused on what im supposed to be excited for.

lol this just like any of the batman city games I played

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

The ladder picture makes me hope that there are good object collision physics. It was disappointing to see the WWE games have wrestlers just slide to the side when they're close to something.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol I think I now have access to every single Yakuza game through Game Pass and PS Plus now

I'm still not going to install them but it's funny I keep getting thrown them

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You should buy them on a real platform that counts and play them.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol I think I now have access to every single Yakuza game through Game Pass and PS Plus now

I'm still not going to install them but it's funny I keep getting thrown them

Play the Yakuzas

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Play the Yakuzas

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Is this the one trying to recapture that N64-era AKI gameplay or am I confused with something else.

Because all these years later there's still no reason to play any other wrestling game than No Mercy

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Wrestling games should pretend that everything about wrestling canon is real, like Undertaker being undead and his nemesis being a tall man with no skin (?), or any other magic stuff

My reference points may be a bit outdated

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Arkham Origins is the secret best one so it's a shame this new thing looks like it sucks so bad

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm going to not play them and play good games instead

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

When is NetherRealms going to finally announce Injustice 3? Or are they no longer working on that series? its been awhile since Mortal Kombat XI came out and NR stopped supporting it, so I would have thought they would announce their next game already.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Play the Yakuzas

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I feel like a wrestling game that isn’t glitchy as hell is betraying the legacy of the genre

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Baller Time posted:

Wrestling games should pretend that everything about wrestling canon is real, like Undertaker being undead and his nemesis being a tall man with no skin (?), or any other magic stuff

My reference points may be a bit outdated

gently caress this is a good idea, I'd play wrestling games again if it happened.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Always spend your XP on making your XP gain faster first

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

Is this the one trying to recapture that N64-era AKI gameplay or am I confused with something else.

Because all these years later there's still no reason to play any other wrestling game than No Mercy

Yes AEW are specifically trying to make a game that's like the one everyone loves

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
WCW Revenge and No Mercy were dope.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Arkham Knight was so funny because me, a person who has never read a comic book watched a trailer for that game and was like "that's Robin"

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Car Stealth! Car Platforming! Car Combat!

I don't remember if there were any Car Detective bits but it wouldn't surprise me. I remember a section where you had to fight about 1000 enemy cars and it felt like it took a half hour. I really didn't care for that game.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It’s my high school economics class all over again. Gotta spend money to make money, and better start as soon as you can.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jolo posted:

Car Stealth! Car Platforming! Car Combat!

I don't remember if there were any Car Detective bits but it wouldn't surprise me. I remember a section where you had to fight about 1000 enemy cars and it felt like it took a half hour. I really didn't care for that game.

There's one bit where you have to chase a villain with a jetpack while in the car. Also at least two bosses you have to use the car to fight

And yeah, fighting tanks with the car unlocks as a world event late in the game, and some of them go on forever

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
On the other hand, the car gave us the greatest game glitch video I've ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj5_xbC_eUk

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If it costs you a perk point then it's a trap

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I said come in! posted:

When is NetherRealms going to finally announce Injustice 3? Or are they no longer working on that series? its been awhile since Mortal Kombat XI came out and NR stopped supporting it, so I would have thought they would announce their next game already.

from what i understand, we know that they're working on something but they haven't said what it is yet, and probably won't reveal it until the Game Awards (because evo is not a big enough event)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

I believe this is the one Yuke's is making after WWE dumped them for saying they were getting bored doing the same thing every year.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Boosting attack makes numbers go up. Boosting defense makes numbers go down. Not even a contest really

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It's all in the numbers.

Number 1? That's terror. Number 2? That's terror.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

cheetah7071 posted:

Boosting attack makes numbers go up. Boosting defense makes numbers go down. Not even a contest really

*coughs in THAC0*

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

damage makes HP go down tho... makes you think

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

haveblue posted:

*coughs in THAC0*

This is why OSE is the best version of B/X, because it added ascending AC

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

FFXIV:
Elf NPC: “how did your duel with that big dragon go”
Me, to myself irl: “duel?? There were three other catgirl players with me”

FFXIV shouldn’t have been an mmo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The catgirls are also you

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

FFXIV:

Yeah ok this seems like we should hurry and defeat the bad guy bent on destroying the multiverses but my valet just came back with some eggs and I need to give him some more orders, brb

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

FFXIV:
Elf NPC: “how did your duel with that big dragon go”
Me, to myself irl: “duel?? There were three other catgirl players with me”

FFXIV shouldn’t have been an mmo

WoL soloing bosses like that being canon is very cool imho because I play as a white mage for almost all the story dungeons/trials

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Soloing bosses is usually not canon though
In main story trials all the time the npcs vaguely allude to forming parties or grabbing like-minded adventurers.

Hell, when you get to the very first bossfight in the ARR story (Ifrit) and you're stuck in a cave with nothing but the bossroom entrance there's even an NPC right there who is like "hey i found a secret path out you should go form a party to frag this boss and then come back"

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Always go for Attack over Defense.

If you deal more damage, the boss will die faster and thus hit you less, it's just pure math.