Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Mnoba posted:

is tis the harry potter stuff any good?

Even setting theming aside, Forbidden Journey is an absolute banger of a ride.

Andy's right though; so much of what Disney did with Galaxy's Edge is obviously influenced by the success of the Harry Potter areas. Making shopping an experience (at Universal, it's Ollivander's, at Disney, its the Lightsaber build), trying to make a drink that everyone wants (butterbeer/alien milk).

It's worth noting that Wizarding World succeeds at these, too. Ollivander's is a really fun show, and you don't have to buy anything, and butterbeer tastes good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Boxman posted:

Andy's right though; so much of what Disney did with Galaxy's Edge is obviously influenced by the success of the Harry Potter areas.
Pandora, Springfield, Avengers Campus, and Super Nintendo World are all also built in the Wizarding World full immersion style.

That is also a complete list of all the major theme park lands built since Hogsmeade opened, save only Diagon Alley, which is also obviously done in the Wizarding World style too. It's the new standard.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Also Cars Land.

Animal Kingdom's Asia and Africa lands (Africa moreso since it got two expansions) are also detailed to a similarly crazy degree but they don't really get the credit they deserve because they don't have an IP attached.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

CapnAndy posted:

Pandora, Springfield, Avengers Campus, and Super Nintendo World are all also built in the Wizarding World full immersion style.

That is also a complete list of all the major theme park lands built since Hogsmeade opened, save only Diagon Alley, which is also obviously done in the Wizarding World style too. It's the new standard.

Yeah, I was also thinking of the specific pattern of making food and shopping much more than an afterthought, which, now that I think about it, applies to some degree for those as well. Pandora had banshee adoption and those creepy look-alike avatar action figures. Springfield has Duff beer and the donuts. Avengers has the web slinger attachments and I guess Pym's kitchen? Super Nintendo World has those power up bands, although those are a new twist on the "buy more to have more fun," in that they actually give you something to do.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Aug 3, 2022

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you like Harry Potter get the hopper for one day so you can ride the train, you loving nerd.

MJeff posted:

I've heard it's pretty sick but I really wanna avoid going when it's too crowded mostly because covid but also because I hate crowds and lines. And from what I've heard Halloween is the most crowded time of the year that's not spring break or summer specifically because Horror Nights are so cool. :v:

HHN starts in September.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

the restaurant in atlantis world is pretty good if you want a fancier sit down dinner

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Aphrodite posted:

If you like Harry Potter get the hopper for one day so you can ride the train, you loving nerd.
I’m going for two days next month and I decided against the hopper because $40 for a train ride seemed not worth it

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It absolutely is not. It’s just some videos playing on a screen on each side of you. Still, some people are big enough Harry Potter fans I guess.

If you do have a hopper ticket (or annual pass) the line for it is much longer than just walking out one park and into the other. Universal isn’t Disney, the entrances are like 2 minutes apart.

The first time I went I only had a day there so I did get the hopper. It was a colder February rainy day so there were no lines for basically anything. The train was the longest wait of the entire day. Even more than Velocicoaster and Hagrid’s.

(That’s a bit of special circumstance probably, because riding those two in even light rain feels like being punched in the face by tiny fists the entire time.)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I was under the impression the Harry Potter train is something that practically gets you from park to park quicker than walking. Is it only something you do if you really wanna ride the train from Harry Potter? (which I do not particularly care about)

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

MJeff posted:

I was under the impression the Harry Potter train is something that practically gets you from park to park quicker than walking. Is it only something you do if you really wanna ride the train from Harry Potter? (which I do not particularly care about)

Unless the line is like 20 minutes or less, it is faster to walk to the other park. That's if you're at the train stations. If you're at the front of either park it's literally only a 5 minute walk to the other park. Lots of people don't realize this and it makes the line for the train much longer than it should be for what is a pretty underwhelming experience. As a whole, including the walk through Kings Cross Station, it is okay, but absolutely NOT worth upgrading to a two park pass for.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MJeff posted:

If there was no queue it would be, but there always is.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Also, is the train currently running? It wasn’t mid-June.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Also, is the train currently running? It wasn’t mid-June.

Yeah, it was only a 10 day closure.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
The velocicoaster is the best roller coaster ever made but unfortunately that has meant 2h+ lines every time I've ridden it

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It's the best coaster in Florida but it has a lot more competition than most Floridians are aware of because in reality, most of the coasters in Florida are average.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh and also, you absolutely must do Fast and Furious Supercharged.

But only if the queue is like 15 minutes or less. It loving sucks, but it needs to be experienced provided it's not taking up too much of your time. Telling you this will not spoil how bad it is, because even with advance knowledge how much it sucks it will still manage to be worse.

Don't do single rider, you will want to experience the preshow.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

It's the best coaster in Florida but it has a lot more competition than most Floridians are aware of because in reality, most of the coasters in Florida are average.

Eh, it's still like top 3 by most rankings.

The problem is the one consistently ranked better is in Ohio and nobody should ever have to go to Ohio.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Aphrodite posted:

Oh and also, you absolutely must do Fast and Furious Supercharged.

But only if the queue is like 15 minutes or less. It loving sucks, but it needs to be experienced provided it's not taking up too much of your time. Telling you this will not spoil how bad it is, because even with advance knowledge how much it sucks it will still manage to be worse.

Don't do single rider, you will want to experience the preshow.

Eh, it's still like top 3 by most rankings.

The problem is the one consistently ranked better is in Ohio and nobody should ever have to go to Ohio.

Don't do express either?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I've never had an express pass so I'm not actually sure.

The queue is usually short anyway because it's been out about 4 years now and everyone knows it's bad.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

the dragon ride in the harry potter section is great but it was cooler when they synced up the two coasters

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
MJeff I'm having a really hard time reading this thread right now (concentration issues) but PM me some specific questions and I can give you advice. My wife and I go a few times a year. Where to stay what to eat, what to bring. Let me know and I'll answer whatever.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Music Theory posted:

the dragon ride in the harry potter section is great but it was cooler when they synced up the two coasters

It's also gone now unless they rebuilt it somewhere else. it's Hagrid's Motorbike now.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
The two Dragon rides been gone for like 7 years

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I went to Universal Studios Halloween Horror Nights 0in LA. That year's theme was Jordan Peele's movie "Us". There was a long rear end line and for that price I was convinced they just paired every single customer with a doppleganger from Central Casting.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Elendil004 posted:

It's also gone now unless they rebuilt it somewhere else. it's Hagrid's Motorbike now.

Malcolm Excellent posted:

The two Dragon rides been gone for like 7 years

:eng99:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

If you believe the rumor that the dragon coaster was originally intended for Animal Kingdom -- which I do -- it had a hell of an interesting history, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Still good ride videos on YouTube in case you need to relive that tiny cobra roll on Ice. What a little beast that was.