Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which August 16th release are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Blossom Tales 2: The Minotaur Prince [PC, Switch] – August 16 12 21.82%
Rollerdrome [PC, PS5, PS4] – August 16 31 56.36%
Tribes of Midgard [XSX, XBO, Switch] – August 16 5 9.09%
Way of the Hunter [PC, PS5, XSX] – August 16 7 12.73%
Total: 55 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You knew the risks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

just use a macro that copies the name of your target to the chat window, like all the healers do with their rezzes

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
rez macros are all bad

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Not to boast but I’ve had several creative writing workshop classes in university and if there’s one thing I took away from them, is how to be tactful and diplomatic in my criticism

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

cheetah7071 posted:

clearly the solution is to pull more and play perfectly so nobody talks to you at all

Or be a coward dps

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
believe me I'm judging bad dps even harder than bad healers and tanks

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the only reason nobody says anything is they can't tell which dps is the bad one without admitting to parsing

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I would be a healer. I like healing in games.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Other people in games that is. I always forget to heal myself.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The idea was interesting but the execution was incredibly poo poo. The coop in resistance 2. Soldiers just stood there with their shields. Spec ops were constantly tossing ammo and being lovely dps, and the healers just kept the trigger held down against endless waves of enemies that barely had ai.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

VideoGames posted:

Other people in games that is. I always forget to heal myself.

You've got to take care of yourself in order to take care of others!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

VideoGames posted:

Many years ago when I willingly inflicted playing an MMO on myself, I got called out by a guy in a raid who dumped a damage report and demanded in public to know why I was on the bottom of the DPS list, bitching that I was just taking up a space without contributing anything.

This was followed by everybody else in the raid surprisingly gently pointing out to them that I was the healer :shobon:

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

From memory the Conjurer/White Mage job questline dips into an arc where the game is essentially lecturing you that contributing to dps is an important part of being a healer. Still the best role though.

Redezga fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Aug 4, 2022

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

thats the sex number

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Really needed 397 more points.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Healing in FF14 owns because you are also a decent dps for the most part, then you're stupid team makes a mistake and people start dying but don't worry cause your instant cast is off cooldown and you res the tank and group heal everyone and it feels great because you saved the day

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Healing in FF14 owns because you are also a decent dps for the most part, then you're stupid team makes a mistake and people start dying but don't worry cause your instant cast is off cooldown and you res the tank and group heal everyone and it feels great because you saved the day

Unless you play WHM, in which case the tank dies before your full heal takes effect and everybody dies.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

How does FFXIV work on the PS5? I played through the first part solo on the computer, and there were so many buttons

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

VideoGames posted:

I played through the entire FFXIV:ARR plotline as a White Mage, it was really fun except that the first part of the endgame White Mage outfit you get is the pants, which is actually no pants. So I beat the final dungeon fully pantsless.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gripweed posted:

How does FFXIV work on the PS5? I played through the first part solo on the computer, and there were so many buttons

Quite well! There's ways of managing your buttons so you have easy access to every one.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I keep meaning to try plugging a controller in to FFXIV so I can play it on my big comfy couch

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Gripweed posted:

the short answer is that the shoulder buttons switches between toolbars and it quickly becomes second nature. It is actually a really nice way to play the game.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Healing is so stressful for me, idk how you guys do it.

Seeing a party member’s hp drop, I hit them with a heal... or try to. Turns out they were out of range and my heal didn’t go off. And I didn’t notice, until it’s too late. They die, and I die of embarrassment

My favourite part of playing as a white mage was running up to groups of enemies and Holying them down. Yep my favourite part was dpsing

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Jay Rust posted:

Seeing a party member’s hp drop, I hit them with a heal... or try to. Turns out they were out of range and my heal didn’t go off. And I didn’t notice, until it’s too late. They die, and I die of embarrassment

My favourite part of playing as a white mage was running up to groups of enemies and Holying them down. Yep my favourite part was dpsing

The secret to being a good healer is that you need to understand any time a DPS dies it is their own fault.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah it seems like they made the game assuming a large portion of players would be on console. The quick chat options cover most of what you would need to say in a few presses, but if you really prefer it you can plug in a wired USB keyboard and use that with the controller. Alternatively if you really prefer mouse and keyboard you can do that on the console version as well.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Healing in FFXIV is fun, at least at higher levels, because they give all the healers a lot of tools that let you weave healing between your damage spells. Keeping up the damage while also weaving in healing feels really cool and tactical, especially with jobs like Sage and Scholar.

I mostly tank these days (Gunbreaker ftw) but healing's a good time, too.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Jay Rust posted:

This is basically why I play tank, because that way I'm still supporting the team but all my support is fully preventative (outside of like, having to provoke a mob off my allies occasionally).

Healer classes tend to be too much plate spinning for me, though I suppose I haven't tried it in FFXIV.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i like being a tiny scholar and preparing for tense situations by pulling out my moogle popup book

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

The secret to being a good healer is that you need to understand any time a DPS dies it is their own fault.

Always treat DPS as the disposable trash that they are

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I level all the classes together so I tank, heal and dps. I'm a triple threat, baby :smug:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Rarity posted:

I level all the classes together so I tank, heal and dps. I'm a triple threat, baby :smug:

you are the triple triad

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Rarity posted:

That's called triangle strategy

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

you are the triple triad

Whoa :aaa:

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

they officially announced that Tactics Ogre remaster:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osHD91sQUOk

very excited for this and I feel like there's actually some really decent looking games coming out later this year.
The ones I'm looking forward to checking out are: Tactics Ogre, Star Ocean, Bayonetta 3 and Valkyrie Elysium and probably some others I'm forgetting about.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm interested in harvestella. maybe the only AA game i care about in the back half of this year

maybe DQ Treasures but that feels like it has a single-A budget

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DQ Treasures seems chill and from screen shots it looks like you can get a Sham Hatwitch in your party so that's pretty exciting

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
SquareEnix with a bunch of bangers this year for sure

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

It's a great time to be play video games, after all.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Wait ff14 is on ps5? well might as well have an excuse to use the console for me :v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Shindragon posted:

Wait ff14 is on ps5? well might as well have an excuse to use the console for me :v

Sure is