Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Report: Apple retaliated against women who complained about misconduct

quote:

The Financial Times has published a lengthy report saying that Apple has fostered a culture of apathy toward reports of employee misconduct, and has actively retaliated against staff members who complained about colleagues, including those who reported incidents of sexual assault. If accurate, the allegations are at odds with the image of inclusiveness that Apple projects, and cast a pall on the real progress it has made in boosting its workforce diversity.

Multiple women described filing complaints with Apple's human resources department over sexual abuse, bullying and other incidents. Former employee Megan Mohr complained that a colleague removed her bra and clothes while she was asleep and took photos of her after a platonic night out. However, the HR representative called the experience "a minor traffic accident."

"Although what he did was reprehensible as a person and potentially criminal, as an Apple employee he hasn't violated any policy in the context of his Apple work," Apple's HR department said in an email seen by FT. "And because he hasn't violated any policy we will not prevent him seeking employment opportunities that are aligned with his goals and interests."

An Apple Store Genius employee complained about two instances of serious sexual assault including being raped, and said HR treated her not as a victim, but as the problem. "I was told [the alleged rapist] went on a ‘career experience’ for six months and they said: ‘maybe you’ll be better by the time he’s back?" She requested a transfer but it was declined, and she still works at the same store.

IP attorney Margaret Anderson complained of a "toxic work environment" and "gaslighting," and said a male vice-president wanted to fire her, citing false allegations that predated her arrival at Apple. HR reportedly ignored a document she created refuting the allegations.

Employees have also complained about Apple suppressing worker organizing and blocking Slack channels used by employees to complain about bad managers and pay inequity. Software engineer Cher Scarlett said Apple retaliated after she filed a complaint with the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB). The company offered her a $213,000 severance package, but she refused to sign it because Apple demanded she hand over a letter sent to the NLRB that included the names of other employees.

She accepted the deal when Apple withdrew the demand, but was forced to pull the NLRB complaint. However, she intentionally broke the agreement when Apple sent a letter to the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) saying it "supports the rights of its employees and contractors to speak freely." Scarlett then showed her exit arrangement to the media, which led to eight US state treasurers asking the SEC to investigate "whether or not Apple misled the Commission and investors."

The highest profile complaint was from Jayne Whitt, a director in Apple's legal department. She told HR that a colleague hacked her devices and threatened her life, with the expectation that the complaint would be handled seriously. Instead, the employee investigative division said Whitt "failed to act in a professional and work appropriate manner" during their meeting, at a time when Whitt "said she was begging for help and reliving trauma," the FT wrote.

She subsequently posted a 2,800 word essay on the whistleblower platform The Lioness describing the situation, prompting an outpouring of support from Apple employees. However, Apple proceeded to fire her based on what she called an "irrelevant" six-year-old indiscretion.

Whitt is now challenging Apple legally, and said the Slack channels on gender-pay disparity helped open her eyes. "I was disadvantaged — this is how women struggle," she said. "Had these stories [on Slack] not been coming out, I would not have been compelled to do the right thing, to blow up my career."

Apple told The Financial Times in a statement that it works hard to thoroughly investigate misconduct allegations and strives to create "an environment where employees feel comfortable reporting any issues." However, it acknowledged not having always met those ideals. "There are some accounts raised that do not reflect our intentions or our policies and we should have handled them differently, including certain exchanges reported in this story. As a result, we will make changes to our training and processes." It wouldn't comment on specific cases "out of respect for the privacy of the individuals involved."

"Although what he did was reprehensible as a person and potentially criminal, as an Apple employee he hasn't violated any policy in the context of his Apple work"
"And because he hasn't violated any policy we will not prevent him seeking employment opportunities that are aligned with his goals and interests."

jfc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
every dude in every apple store ive ever been to was an incredible shithead

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Beeftweeter posted:

i've cut myself on a ton of pc-at cases when i was a kid

not to mention those fuckers were huge

scene: brother went over to neighbor's house. mid 90s. helpin them fix the computer
it was one of those big AT towers with the upside down U shaped top cover. he had removed it and it was sitting behind them

Wrinkle: my brother has a really bad habit of tipping in his chair.

27 stitches in his forearm. his friends mom ran in and immediately puked cause of all the blood

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Jonny 290 posted:

scene: brother went over to neighbor's house. mid 90s. helpin them fix the computer
it was one of those big AT towers with the upside down U shaped top cover. he had removed it and it was sitting behind them

Wrinkle: my brother has a really bad habit of tipping in his chair.

27 stitches in his forearm. his friends mom ran in and immediately puked cause of all the blood

lol that tracks. i think the i worst i got was from a horizontal desktop-style "leading edge" (i think thats quanta now, lmao). i was replacing the cpu with one of those 486 overdrive things and didn't realize the entire side railing of the case was basically a sharp edge. blood everywhere but no stitches

Shaggar posted:

this tracks too. apple really isn't a good employer

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

it's u! :xd:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
weird how someone cuts power to every apple store you go to

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
sorry dude but if you cut your little finger on a macbook computer u need to do some more labor. use a shovel every now and then. gently caress sakes. i mean im a weakling and a nerdlinger but feeling threatened by brushed aluminum is next level

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
the apple store by me used to have a dude working there who wore a utilikilt all the time. He was buff and moderately handsome tho so it worked for some people i guess.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

rotor posted:

the apple store by me used to have a dude working there who wore a utilikilt all the time. He was buff and moderately handsome tho so it worked for some people i guess.

had a guy at the university that wore a kilt all the time too, and similarly he was hot as hell (and i say that not very often oriented that way). very cool, hot people really should try to do some normalizing at least now and then.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

champagne posting posted:

what did you have before and has this been an improvement?

How likely are you to recommend this to friends or family?

In rapid succession, I moved from a Dell Latitude 9520 that our campus security software absolutely doorstopped by way of excessive iops to a base model m1 mba we happened to have in our loaner pool. i don't do complicated video renders, but i do need to edit together videos and the cc apps and video files filled out the 256gb, so the m2 came to me with more storage.

and

reasonably likely i guess but all my friends and family are confused by macs (0 people found this review helpful)

re: apple having lovely employees and lovely labor practices, i once went to the store and grabbed the wrong 2m charging cable because the boxes are all too visually similar and the stink the person i got for checkout put on the word 'specifically' when they were saying 'so you want SPECIFICALLY the lighting to audio adapter and SPECIFICALLY the usb-c to lightning cable' made it so that i never went to an apple store again until my ipone se 2's battery poo poo the bed after 11 months, and the just condescending attitude i got off all four of the employees i had to interact with for that was incredibly souring. i don't remember any of that being an issue when i bought my ibook in person back in 2005, but steve was still kickin so maybe things changed. maybe i was just more tolerant of other people's poo poo at the time. regardless, i hated it, and it's completely unsurprising to hear that their HR doesn't bother to forcefully condemn bad behavior even if it isn't actionable for them, and based on the quotes in that article, they don't seem particularly motivated to refer material to law enforcement where appropriate, so that's pretty poo poo.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

hot people really should try to do some normalizing at least now and then.

I try.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
it is a heavy burden we bear

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

hot people really should try to do some normalizing at least now and then.

tell me you haven't paid any attention to fashion for the past 20 years without t

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Jonny 290 posted:

tell me you haven't paid any attention to fashion for the past 20 years without t

the result was that everything is fashionable if you're hot and dorky if you aren't

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

carry on then posted:

the result was that everything is fashionable if you're hot and dorky if you aren't

have a swimmers body, this one weird trick to fashion

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

champagne posting posted:

have a swimmers body, this one weird trick to fashion

i do like the trend of ultra-tight shirts designed to make bodybuilders look like they just hulked out, just so comical looking

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Beeftweeter posted:

lol that tracks. i think the i worst i got was from a horizontal desktop-style "leading edge" (i think thats quanta now, lmao). i was replacing the cpu with one of those 486 overdrive things and didn't realize the entire side railing of the case was basically a sharp edge. blood everywhere but no stitches

this tracks too. apple really isn't a good employer

I had to check because leading edge was absolute poo poo and quanta is competent but as far as two seconds of wikipedia, no relation afaik (leading edge was owned by daewoo but its possible quanta odm’d for them post selloff)

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

carry on then posted:

i do like the trend of ultra-tight shirts designed to make bodybuilders look like they just hulked out, just so comical looking

that plus a dude that triples arm day looks like a wrestling action figure from 1994. I had to leave the bar for a minute because i just about lost it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

in a well actually posted:

I had to check because leading edge was absolute poo poo and quanta is competent but as far as two seconds of wikipedia, no relation afaik (leading edge was owned by daewoo but its possible quanta odm’d for them post selloff)

huh, not sure why i thought that then

agreed though that thing was loving trash

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mad Wack posted:

do people still use iPad? wackwife and i haven't touched ours since the pros, we just sort of lost interest in them because other devices do everything so much better

I read a ton and have to comment on work material so I print off a ton of docs to OneNote on the iPad, mark them up, and use that for meetings or outlining. paper is still best for creative stuff, and computers for when I need to put something together that others deal with (other than my posts which are trash)

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Smythe posted:

drat this looks awesome on my desktop and like utter trash on my phone. cool. never seen this kind of embed before

get an anti glare screen protector for your phone

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
almost everytime i switch from a single airpod to 2 airpods I have to manually adjust the balance on my mac

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
* 2 airs pod

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Cold on a Cob posted:

Report: Apple retaliated against women who complained about misconduct

"Although what he did was reprehensible as a person and potentially criminal, as an Apple employee he hasn't violated any policy in the context of his Apple work"
"And because he hasn't violated any policy we will not prevent him seeking employment opportunities that are aligned with his goals and interests."

jfc

only trust your fists, hr will never help you

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
“love” how everything like r/apple handwaves away the problem by stating that “of course HR will do that” as if that’s a valid way of expressing concern about the actual problems

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

qsvui posted:

only trust your fists, hr will never help you

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

nurrwick posted:

In rapid succession, I moved from a Dell Latitude 9520 that our campus security software absolutely doorstopped by way of excessive iops to a base model m1 mba we happened to have in our loaner pool. i don't do complicated video renders, but i do need to edit together videos and the cc apps and video files filled out the 256gb, so the m2 came to me with more storage.

and

reasonably likely i guess but all my friends and family are confused by macs (0 people found this review helpful)

re: apple having lovely employees and lovely labor practices, i once went to the store and grabbed the wrong 2m charging cable because the boxes are all too visually similar and the stink the person i got for checkout put on the word 'specifically' when they were saying 'so you want SPECIFICALLY the lighting to audio adapter and SPECIFICALLY the usb-c to lightning cable' made it so that i never went to an apple store again until my ipone se 2's battery poo poo the bed after 11 months, and the just condescending attitude i got off all four of the employees i had to interact with for that was incredibly souring. i don't remember any of that being an issue when i bought my ibook in person back in 2005, but steve was still kickin so maybe things changed. maybe i was just more tolerant of other people's poo poo at the time. regardless, i hated it, and it's completely unsurprising to hear that their HR doesn't bother to forcefully condemn bad behavior even if it isn't actionable for them, and based on the quotes in that article, they don't seem particularly motivated to refer material to law enforcement where appropriate, so that's pretty poo poo.

all apple store staff i’ve ever dealt with have been fine and generally helpful, hth

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ive only dealt with people at harvey norman and noel leeming

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

yospsa: best buy has apple music and news+ free for 6 months and apple tv+ (returning + new) and fitness (new members only) free for 3 https://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/applesubscriptions

music and tv+ work on android or web, btw

e: lol got the time periods wrong. xpostin' in weekend thread

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 7, 2022

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Gentle Autist posted:

all apple store staff i’ve ever dealt with have been fine and generally helpful, hth

before the intel shift, i got a real mixed bag, after it's been fine. maybe it was the one store? maybe they all thought they were steve jobs until that was impossible?

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

i'm comfortable assuming it's just my local store. i have something like five i could get to locally, but i just don't need apple stuff that frequently.

one thing that helped the flow of the experience back in the Long Ago was that there was a coherent place to go to check out when you were done, whereas the modern model is 'hope someone stops talking to their coworkers long enough to notice you look like you need something from them...' again though that may be the management and staff of my one closest store.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
no. the checkout process is uniformly godawful. it's like they don't actually want you buying stuff

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Chris Knight posted:

no. the checkout process is uniformly godawful. it's like they don't actually want you buying stuff

lol, try using cash or *gasp* a cheque

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

ok gramps

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I serve and sell poo poo to people on the daily

I scan barcodes

type in peoples phone numbers to bring up loyalty cards

I’m good at it too. often I’ll give someone a receipt. sometimes I say to the other people working “can you finish this for me?” and they do

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I use cash for small business whenever I can.

I like using checks but only for like plumbers, school fees and stuff.

The idea that youd voluntarily contribute to paypals position as an informal common bank is laughable, to me.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

in developed countries zelle-like instant transfers between banks with an app have been a thing for 10+ years that just work

the fact that it took forever for zelle to even be created and the fact that it's a gigantic piece of poo poo that depends on each individual bank's implementation of it speaks more to the fundamnetal problems with america's ancient ach system and the inability to do anything about it

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

yeah, zelle's attempts to paper over batch ach nightlies is kinda wild but not in the way banks want it to be

i'm trying to recall if it's all per-bank-to-bank trust and risk assessment that decides limits and expediency, which would favor larger institutions that already had existing agreements. they already smoothed over customer transfers across systems before full batch processing in the wee hours, so i'd expect it to burden smaller banks to get into the mix

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Agile Vector posted:

yeah, zelle's attempts to paper over batch ach nightlies is kinda wild but not in the way banks want it to be

i'm trying to recall if it's all per-bank-to-bank trust and risk assessment that decides limits and expediency, which would favor larger institutions that already had existing agreements. they already smoothed over customer transfers across systems before full batch processing in the wee hours, so i'd expect it to burden smaller banks to get into the mix

i don't know how the zelle clownshow works behind the scenes but i suspect this is correct

transfers went from being instant with bank of america (...and a 0.2% interest rate) to several days with ally bank (1.6% :eyepop:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Beeftweeter posted:

next you'll tell me to send in my order by fax