Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

anybody but the driver is lucky they even get a seatbelt

rear passengers are lucky they get a seat.

StormDrain posted:

I knew this but didn't draw the connection, most rear passenger seats are garbage second tier seats. Hard, uncomfortable, no features. That's why it seems so luxurious to me.

I always think of the rear as where kids go, so the idea of putting that much control back there seems real bad.

e: snype edit to add context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

NitroSpazzz posted:

Nice morning to drive the 7 in, still splattered with bug guts from my last early morning drive. Makes everything else on the road look absolutely massive. The chrome mirror needs to be replaced, it's useless and ugly.

Only complaints at this point are the transmission tunnel gets really warm, 115F in the pedal box, and due to the filler neck design it is an absolute pain to fill at the pump.

Heat reflective tape is worth a look, or an actual metal heatshield if there's room. Is there a flap inside the filler neck?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Panty Saluter posted:

ok but where did you get those floor mats

Come stock with the upper trim Hilux Surf in 1996, aka 3rd gen 4Runner for Japan and it comes with a sick spare tire cover

chrisgt posted:

that's gloriously anachronistic.

I know, it rules.

Blowjob Overtime posted:

I always think of the rear as where kids go, so the idea of putting that much control back there seems real bad.

Can't say I'd see a luxury executive car as being targeted towards kids, its really more of a private limousine.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

KakerMix posted:

Can't say I'd see a luxury executive car as being targeted towards kids, its really more of a private limousine.

Yeah, I wasn't clear, the idea of putting that much control back there seems bad until I remember some cars are luxury executive cars that kids will never be near.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Heat reflective tape is worth a look, or an actual metal heatshield if there's room. Is there a flap inside the filler neck?

I'm going to look at a few materials to line the transmission tunnel with, would also be nice to increase air flow through the tunnel. I don't think there's a flap but I need to check and verify, neck turns down 90 degrees right behind the opening so it's mostly splash back I think.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Blowjob Overtime posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HqljsJBkq4&t=134s

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Blowjob Overtime posted:

My toddler has discovered she can reach the seat heater button from and make it light up and will absolutely not stop playing with it. No way to disable the rear controls either which seems like a dumb oversight on the manufacturers part.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
On the occasion of its second wash of the year and a trip to my parents' housewith a nicer driveway than mine:

Yes those are loving blizzaks on my winter wheels shut up there's still a global pandemic and I've only put 13k miles on it in 4.5 years and there's a car seat for a three year old in the back so you know I don't have the energy to put my summers on I'll do it next summer I swear!

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

All is forgiven with a burnout.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

ThirstyBuck posted:

All is forgiven with a burnout.

In my parents driveway? Dad would kill me!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

davebo posted:

In my parents driveway? Dad would kill me!

I actively encourage it when people come over to my house in capable vehicles, so my boys will be A-OK to do it at home.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
https://imgur.com/a/2Z8GEy7

Got radials on it, but it still struggles with traction. My cousin smoked me in chevelle, but it sounds good and runs strong.

Not pictured: the burnout.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Went and aimlessly drove around today:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

chrisgt posted:

Went and aimlessly drove around today:

I'd feel underdressed in anything less than a suit driving around in that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

davebo posted:

On the occasion of its second wash of the year and a trip to my parents' housewith a nicer driveway than mine:

Yes those are loving blizzaks on my winter wheels shut up there's still a global pandemic and I've only put 13k miles on it in 4.5 years and there's a car seat for a three year old in the back so you know I don't have the energy to put my summers on I'll do it next summer I swear!

Man, those look good in yellow.

Enos Cabell posted:

I'd feel underdressed in anything less than a suit driving around in that.

...dying from the heat because no AC... :P
But you're not wrong. At least slacks and a hat.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
Back on the road for the first time in 22 years.

1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Fornax Disaster posted:

1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass

Oh hell yeah, that is loving clean.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Gorgeous.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Fornax Disaster posted:

1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass

I just started reading your thread today, excellent work!

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Fornax Disaster posted:

1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass
God drat that chrome looks great! If that car drives half as nice as that rear end-end looks, you must have a lot of fun in that thing.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Fornax Disaster posted:

1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass

Very cool. I have a ‘70 Sports Coupe that hasn’t really seen the road in a decade or so. I should do something about that.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

this was my ride this weekend and also next month

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Beautiful

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

A friend of mine put this in our car club discord

quote:

anyone have any recos for more "off-road" type of suspension and wheels? Maybe from personal experience, a friend you can link me up with, or your readings (if you could send links so I can educate myself, bonus points). I'm not looking to rally the car, just want to be able to take some dirt roads with potholes, etc without an intense amount of clenching.
Yours would be way overkill, but would you mind posting the specs?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Hell yeah.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Both very cool and very good.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

AFewBricksShy posted:

A friend of mine put this in our car club discord

Yours would be way overkill, but would you mind posting the specs?

sure, but yeah i think if you just wanna rip down some dirt roads then a good fresh oem suspension + tire setup should be okayish. between the super stiff tire sidewall, poly bushings, gravel suspension and racing bucket + harness, the car is pretty uncomfortable to putz around in at low speed, it's kind of jarring to be riding in around the service park and stuff lol. it all smooths out at speed and handles jumps well but it's a rally car

- k-sport sti gravel coilovers in the rear
- k-sport brz/86/fr-s gravel coilovers in the front
- full poly bushings
- method rally wheels (501 i think)
- pirelli k gravel tires (we ran hards because of the intense heat but mediums may have been better for grip, maybe even mediums at the front and softs at the rear)

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 10, 2022

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

This looks so fuckin fun

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Yeah, a rally 86 sounds like a hoot and a half. Also that Cutlass is superb, I've always liked the window line and silhouette on those.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

And it still has the original tape deck and Bose subwoofer!

https://i.imgur.com/h9lznrf.mp4

NO CD is because I've tapped into the original CD changer to get bluetooth.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

This is an absolutely beautiful car.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

look how much glass is in that big bitch. It's awesome.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Yuuuuuuuup, gonna have to request you post more pics of this

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

ffffff

Much needed wash today, it's been living outside for the past 4 months while I've been fixing up the 919 and had gotten pretty bad.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
I haven't taken that many pictures of the car, but here's a couple:

And here's one with the other blue car:

I should take them both out on a shoot someday.

intheflesh
Nov 4, 2008

This car FUCKS

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Blue car day!

Finally went and picked this up today. One owner EM1, all maintenance records from new, and was garage kept until 2020.

Small mechanical things to be done: sway bar end links, valve cover gasket, exhaust mid pipe - all will be done tomorrow hopefully. Maybe some pads and rotors, TBD.

One cosmetic 🤮 spot from a parking lot hit 20 years ago that came back to the surface which will probably be taken care of in the spring.

Current plan is to leave it stock and drive it occasionally.

Edit: better pics will come in the daytime.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 14, 2022

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

A pristine blue unicorn!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
One small hit hardly rates. It's so phenomenal to see one of those cars totally stock after all these years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

gently caress me, best color and stock??

I'm reeeeally curious what you paid if you don't mind sharing.