Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yes, but they didnt sell off the other studios to fund the nft thing. nfts cost like barely any money to make. thats the whole grift.

like they say in the article, they just want to focus on their core japanese business.

for some reason people are very convinced theyre going to sell to sony even though squeenix is a huge megacorp with their fingers in a billion pies outside of video games. what is sony going to do with the rights to a bunch of shonen manga nobodys reading.

they're also in the process of building and acquiring new japanese studios.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

yes, but they didnt sell off the other studios to fund the nft thing. nfts cost like barely any money to make. thats the whole grift.

like they say in the article, they just want to focus on their core japanese business.

for some reason people are very convinced theyre going to sell to sony even though squeenix is a huge megacorp with their fingers in a billion pies outside of video games. what is sony going to do with the rights to a bunch of shonen manga nobodys reading.

they're also in the process of building and acquiring new japanese studios.

I mean, Square Enix has been kinda been the Japanese Activision-Blizzard since before there was an Activision-Blizzard, this just makes it... really obvious.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh, definitely.

in general squeenix was pretty late to the late 2000s/early 2010s japanese obsession with trying to make 'western-style' games, both in terms of getting in and in terms of getting out. this doesnt really read any differently to me than back when capcom shut down capcom vancouver. dont think it really has anything to do with NFTs. why own a bunch of western studios that you have to fumble around with in a market where japanese games sell very well in the west?

Endorph fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 5, 2022

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Failing to properly integrate studios you acquired over a decade ago is really the failure. Recognizing that it's just not working and selling them off is actually the smart move. Puts you a step smarter at least than AT&T or Boeing.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Hasn’t SquEnix basically been on one long continuous “failing upwards” trajectory since at least when Spirits Within turned out to be a box office bomb?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Hasn’t SquEnix basically been on one long continuous “failing upwards” trajectory since at least when Spirits Within turned out to be a box office bomb?

It's been more like a roller coaster. This is vastly simplified but Spirits Within almost sunk them (and also temporarily halted their plans to merge with Enix, who were like "uh poo poo you guys are losing a lot of money"), then they had some more successes which led to a merger with Enix that led to more successes, then they had more failures, then more successes.

Square Enix's failures tend to be pretty high-profile (things like Spirits Within, FFXIV 1.0, Avengers though maybe that was profitable I don't know, etc.) so it's easy to see a narrative of a company just doing absolutely nothing right but still somehow hanging on, but the only reason they've hung on is because they've managed to successfully recover from those failures.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

Eh. They put out legitimately ground breaking games during the PS2 era, and stuff like FFX and FF11 had pretty tight development cycles considering how much new ground they were pushing and spirits within being a massive moneypit in the background of their development. It was really only in the PS3/360 era that they started to stumbled hard, but they've recently started to turn the corner on that.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Squeenix is massive and doesn't just have a single team. They have a lot of folks working on a lot of different projects, many of which are treated by the higher ups as money sinks that fund their prestige projects like FF16.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Harrow posted:

It's been more like a roller coaster. This is vastly simplified but Spirits Within almost sunk them (and also temporarily halted their plans to merge with Enix, who were like "uh poo poo you guys are losing a lot of money"), then they had some more successes which led to a merger with Enix that led to more successes, then they had more failures, then more successes.

Square Enix's failures tend to be pretty high-profile (things like Spirits Within or FFXIV 1.0) so it's easy to see a narrative of a company just doing absolutely nothing right but still somehow hanging on, but the only reason they've hung on is because they've managed to recover from those failures.

Yeah, they have a handful of dramatic failures that people love to point to, but they also have a lot of minor to major successes that allow them to take those risks. They publish well-received stuff constantly that just isn't trumpeted as some big SE deal. They own loving Dragon Quest. That isn't as visibly popular in the West but man they're gonna be fine.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

You don't make like ten FF13 games because that property is under performing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ColdPie posted:

You don't make like ten FF13 games because that property is under performing.
ff13 was a massive development boondoggle and its sequels were an attempt to get more profit out of what they sunk into it by reusing assets, but also, lightning is like the 3rd most popular ff character ever.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Regalingualius posted:

iirc, they managed to lose money the year they put out ff7:r because of the avengers game flop

which also ended up affecting the genuinely good guardians of the galaxy game which had horrible marketing

i kind of hope they're trimming the company to sell the japanese division to sony at this point, the leadership seems to be a drat mess. at least yoshi-p seems to have pretty free rein with ff14

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

square enix's biggest crime is dropping the accessory customization they had in KH a fragmentary passage so you can't put cat ears on donald duck

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Endorph posted:

what is sony going to do with the rights to a bunch of shonen manga nobodys reading.
i don't think sony will acquire square enix, but, like... sony owns crunchyroll+funimation and now rightstuf, and crunchyroll has a manga app/sub

so that wouldn't be a problem for them I think, just more amalgamation there

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

i don't think sony will acquire square enix, but, like... sony owns crunchyroll+funimation and now rightstuf, and crunchyroll has a manga app/sub

so that wouldn't be a problem for them I think, just more amalgamation there
i mean the issue there is that crunchy is a subsidiary that handles the manga/anime stuff, sony isnt handling that directly

if they bought squeenix squeenix would be a subsidiary with all that stuff as a sub-subsidiary. like its not out of the question but its not exactly 'streamlined for purchase' like forbes articles or w/e keep saying

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

fair enough

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

ff13 was a massive development boondoggle and its sequels were an attempt to get more profit out of what they sunk into it by reusing assets, but also, lightning is like the 3rd most popular ff character ever.

Yeah, like how FF15 was originally supposed to be some vaguely-defined “spinoff” of 13 that basically just kept getting tumbled around and retooled until they just threw their hands in the air and made it into a mainline game to try to recoup some of the money they’d sunk into it.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
FF14 is quite astounding. Yoshi P and his team turned what was a completely loathed product into an alright game. Then they released Heavensward and the game got really good really quickly. Now every expansion release destroys the game servers due to the influx of returning players because the plot and world building is top notch, and the game play is fun and not grindy

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
FFXIV on its own has to be funding years worth of gently caress-ups from S-E, I don't think they're going to actually be "in trouble" anytime soon, unless FFXIV has two trash expansions in a row or something.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

DanielCross posted:

FFXIV on its own has to be funding years worth of gently caress-ups from S-E, I don't think they're going to actually be "in trouble" anytime soon, unless FFXIV has two trash expansions in a row or something.

I mean, I legitimately wouldn’t be surprised if Endwalker is the point where they peaked, storywise. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qxoX2uiMd_Y

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I've heard that SE is being bankrolled by a combination of XIV and their lovely mobile gacha games.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

SirSamVimes posted:

I've heard that SE is being bankrolled by a combination of XIV and their lovely mobile gacha games.

It's frankly a miracle that they haven't tried to turn XIV into a lovely gacha game yet.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

stev posted:

It's frankly a miracle that they haven't tried to turn XIV into a lovely gacha game yet.

At this point I think SE is plenty happy leaving Yoshi-P alone since he's basically the guy who turned straw into gold. As long as FFXIV doesn't collapse under it's own girth before S-E figures out what they're doing with the future and keeps earning pretty good money and, maybe more importantly, a ton of goodwill towards one of their most venerable brands, they're probably pretty happy.

But yes, the real big earner for SquareEnix is their phone games anymore. They do pretty ok over here but all of their big titles are multimillion-dollar-monthly hits in Japan. If you told me that Record Keeper, Brave Exvius, and Dissidia: Opera Omina each individually have made Square-Enix more money at this point then all their western studios combined, I'd buy it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the romancing saga mobage, of all things, is making them a crazy amount of money

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Didn't some of those just die?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Endorph posted:

the romancing saga mobage, of all things, is making them a crazy amount of money

They should give some of that money to me then, since I did, uh, some of the system text for them at some point.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Didn't some of those just die?

Think Record Keeper was the most recent (and probably only one of that list idk) to announce end of service.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Endorph posted:

A Romancing the Stone MOBA would take off like gangbusters, I tell you!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

How Rude posted:

FF14 is quite astounding. Yoshi P and his team turned what was a completely loathed product into an alright game. Then they released Heavensward and the game got really good really quickly. Now every expansion release destroys the game servers due to the influx of returning players because the plot and world building is top notch, and the game play is fun and not grindy

FF14 is a funny story given if it was any other title they'd probably have quietly canned it but because it was a mainline Final Fantasy MMO, they could not afford to. Basically they had to let him keep hammering away at the game until it became good, and all that effort means trying to make it go all gacha or whatever has actually gotten through to the execs as potentially killing the golden goose. They just became the #1 traditional MMO, and they're taking on refugees of one of the formerly most prestigious Western developers crashing and burning.

Actually, S-E seems an odd mix because they overmanage and ruin some projects while spoiling others, primarily Final Fantasy ones.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
It's pretty clear that the Final Fantasy making parts of Square Enix has split into two philosophies/camps.

There's the Nomura camp which likes making big complex flashy boondogles and has been riding high on a lot of successes from FF 7 onwards then there's the Hiroyuki Ito/Final Fantasy Tactics camp which Yohsi P belongs to (nothing FFXIV loves emphasising than references to Ito directed games) but hadn't had a smash hit recently until FFXIV: A Realm Reborn.

The big test is whether 16 will be a big success since the Ito camp is in charge of that game and hasn't touched an FF since 12 and it's underwhelming response.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

A Bystander posted:

Think Record Keeper was the most recent (and probably only one of that list idk) to announce end of service.

afaik it just ended global service, it will keep running in jp

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

A Bystander posted:

And at that, it's only the global version of Record Keeper that's hitting EoS; the Japanese servers are staying up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

really the reason for the clusterfucks like ff13 or kh3 go a lot deeper than just 'big and flashy' id say. and kh4 seems like its coming out on a reasonable timescale at least, given what theyve shown off of it and how nomura's talking about it compared to kh3. even if it gets delayed its not coming out that much after kh3 for a big aaa jrpg franchise.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

KH3 was very good so I forgive it its troubled development history.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

fez_machine posted:

The big test is whether 16 will be a big success since the Ito camp is in charge of that game and hasn't touched an FF since 12 and it's underwhelming response.

Final Fantasy XII received "universal acclaim" according to review aggregator Metacritic. It was the sixth game to receive a perfect score from the Japanese gaming magazine Famitsu.

Final Fantasy XII was named best PlayStation 2 game and best RPG by numerous video game journals and websites, including GameSpot, GameSpy and IGN. Both Edge and Famitsu awarded it Game of the Year 2006. The Japan Game Awards 2006 honored Final Fantasy XII with their "Grand Award" and "Award for Excellence" and the PlayStation Awards 2006 bestowed the "Double Platinum Prize".

Final Fantasy XII sold more than 1,764,000 copies in its first week in Japan, almost equaling the sales of Final Fantasy X in its first week. In North America, Final Fantasy XII shipped approximately 1.5 million copies in its first week.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_12#Reception

FF12 was the ninth best-selling game on the PS2, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_2_video_games

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I replayed 12 recently and it’s still a lot of fun. Got some bullshit to go with its “single-player MMO” design but not TOO much.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endorph posted:

Which game is this?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Is there a short way to summarize for someone unfamiliar with the game why original FF14 was bad and how they fixed it and turned it into a successful game? People always bring it up in a really matter of fact way and it always makes me curious what they are talking about since it seems like an interesting story.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Item Getter posted:

Is there a short way to summarize for someone unfamiliar with the game why original FF14 was bad and how they fixed it and turned it into a successful game? People always bring it up in a really matter of fact way and it always makes me curious what they are talking about since it seems like an interesting story.

Short? Eh not really lol it’s a bit of a story ( a really good one honestly) if you have time for a video though I can recommend the no clip series.

https://youtu.be/Xs0yQKI7Yw4

It’s a fantastic watch and very well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
There's like a whole documentary on it, but basically they were super complacent and thought they could do no wrong, so they made FFXI again except worse (super buggy and terrible programming, etc etc). Then it crashed and burned because the MMO market had changed a lot since then and people didn't like games where you just endlessly grind for no reason. So a new director came in who'd played WoW and they remade everything from the ground up to be more modern and with a bigger emphasis on story.

Edit: Yeah, that documentary.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 6, 2022