Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

btw, did anyone end up watching "The Battle of Lake Changjin."?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aHDj84CcsY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Scuffy_1989 posted:

Are you sure you're not confusing Korea with Vietnam?

The country being split in 2 at the 28th parallel was decided at Potsdam, and the USSR agreed to it. After the war the USSR armed the North Koreans for an eventual invasion of South Korea while the US intentionally denied requested military aid to South Korea because they didn't want Syngman Rhee to start a war.

In June of 1950 the North Koreans, using the military aid supplied to it by the USSR, invaded South Korea and very nearly succeeded in defeating South Korea and its allies. However, UN forces, headed by the United States, successfully counterattacked and defeated the North Korean forces, pushing almost all the way to the Yalu River. The communist Chinese then came in and drove the UN forces back to the parallel and held them there for several years of bloody conflict until an armistice was reached.

The war wouldn't have happened if the North Koreans hadn't attacked south in 1950. It would have been over if the Chinese hadn't gotten involved in 1950. The Chinese have every right to defend their territory, but the UN forces never crossed the border into China.

And as a practical matter, the North Koreans had to be extremely ignorant to look at the might of the US military and what it had done to Japan, a power that far exceeded anything Korea had, and thought "yeah, attacking US forces in South Korea will totally work out well for us."

You should educate yourself instead of just listening to a podcast.

you sound like you really know a lot about the korean war. what is the significance of this information

quote:

The bombing was long, leisurely and merciless, even by the assessment of America’s own leaders. “Over a period of three years or so, we killed off — what — 20 percent of the population,” Air Force Gen. Curtis LeMay, head of the Strategic Air Command during the Korean War, told the Office of Air Force History in 1984. Dean Rusk, a supporter of the war and later secretary of state, said the United States bombed “everything that moved in North Korea, every brick standing on top of another.” After running low on urban targets, U.S. bombers destroyed hydroelectric and irrigation dams in the later stages of the war, flooding farmland and destroying crops.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...m=.cf944c7a66c5

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Scuffy_1989 posted:

Are you sure you're not confusing Korea with Vietnam?

The country being split in 2 at the 28th parallel was decided at Potsdam, and the USSR agreed to it. After the war the USSR armed the North Koreans for an eventual invasion of South Korea while the US intentionally denied requested military aid to South Korea because they didn't want Syngman Rhee to start a war.

In June of 1950 the North Koreans, using the military aid supplied to it by the USSR, invaded South Korea and very nearly succeeded in defeating South Korea and its allies. However, UN forces, headed by the United States, successfully counterattacked and defeated the North Korean forces, pushing almost all the way to the Yalu River. The communist Chinese then came in and drove the UN forces back to the parallel and held them there for several years of bloody conflict until an armistice was reached.

The war wouldn't have happened if the North Koreans hadn't attacked south in 1950. It would have been over if the Chinese hadn't gotten involved in 1950. The Chinese have every right to defend their territory, but the UN forces never crossed the border into China.

And as a practical matter, the North Koreans had to be extremely ignorant to look at the might of the US military and what it had done to Japan, a power that far exceeded anything Korea had, and thought "yeah, attacking US forces in South Korea will totally work out well for us."

You should educate yourself instead of just listening to a podcast.

Glad to see you like to defend genocide as long as it's done against non-white people.

The war wouldn't have happened if America hadn't decided to prop up a brutal military dictatorship.

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

scary ghost dog posted:

you sound like you really know a lot about the korean war. what is the significance of this information

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...m=.cf944c7a66c5

Well you can read the whole quote in context here, I recommend you do then you tell me what you think.

https://books.google.com/books?id=e...20Korea&f=false

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

MonsieurChoc posted:

Glad to see you like to defend genocide as long as it's done against non-white people.

What are you talking about? I'll defend the strategic bombing of Germany all day long.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Scuffy_1989 posted:

What are you talking about? I'll defend the strategic bombing of Germany all day long.

I'm talking about you defending the decimation of an entire country.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Scuffy_1989 posted:

The “strategic bombing” that massacred mostly non-military targets? Good lord you are a piece of work.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Scuffy_1989 posted:

Well you can read the whole quote in context here, I recommend you do then you tell me what you think.

https://books.google.com/books?id=e...20Korea&f=false

im not smart enough to read books. i was asking you to tell me what it meant in context of the koren war because im a big dummy who doesnt know anything

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm talking about you defending the decimation of an entire country.

You're the one defending the aggressors in the Korean War, the whole thing kicked off when the communists invaded South Korea.

They attempted to militarily conquer the whole country and failed, but the resulting war devastated the whole peninsula.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Scuffy_1989 posted:

You're the one defending the aggressors in the Korean War, the whole thing kicked off when the communists invaded South Korea.

They attempted to militarily conquer the whole country and failed, but the resulting war devastated the whole peninsula.

im really stupid and dont know anything but have you ever heard of the “bodo league”

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Scuffy_1989 posted:

so glad we have a learned disciple of Dan Carlin's Hardcore History here to teach the Trailer thread about the Korean War

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

Scuffy_1989 posted:

A pitch for an action movie.

Ivan Drago is Ukrainian and was banished there after the events of Rocky IV. After Creed 2, he's again on the outs with the Russians.

How about a movie where he takes up arms against the Russian invasion of Ukraine?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Student of history

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

How the gently caress do your invade your own country lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

What an absolute mad lad

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

Ringo Roadagain posted:

How the gently caress do your invade your own country lol

IDK, ask General Sherman.

So, what happened on June 25, 1950?

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Scuffy_1989 posted:

IDK, ask General Sherman.

So, what happened on June 25, 1950?

Peoples army crossed over some arbitrary line decided on by foreign nations?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
God this this thread stinks of late stage SA brain worms.

Re: Strategic Bombing.

Isnt it wonderful to be able to shift the moral grains of sand that we know of the the 2nd World War, right now, 80 years later, and wag the finger at our ancestors for going too far in that desperate struggle for their very existence.

What a luxury that is for us to have, a luxury that they secured for us.

Yes it was too much, it was too far, but in the words of my Jewish Belgian Grandmother who suffered the German occupation, "They started it."

Quote the reaping tweet.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I like movie trailers

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

This is the trailer thread....for upcoming breakdowns

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
neoconservatives OUT!!!

glory hole cthulhu.... welcome

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
what the

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Get back to movie trailers, stop this derail.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

yup

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Venuz Patrol posted:

glory hole cthulhu

New username?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRu3zLOJN2c
Hey, a new Martin McDonagh movie! Knowing McDonagh things are going to escalate quite a bit more than what the trailer shows.
Controversial opinion maybe but as much as I love Brendan Gleeson I'm kinda getting tired of the McDonagh clan's schtick. It feels kinda obnoxious and edgelord a lot of the time, in a way I can't really express but like Joe Carnahan level annoying.
I really didn't like Three Billboards or Seven Psychopaths. I liked In Bruges, but I was like...16 or 17 or something, so that makes sense.
To be fair I haven't seen enough of John Michael McDonagh to paint him with the same brush, but I got the same vibes from The Guard, which I also wasn't a fan of. They just seem like, 50 something racist dickhead white dudes...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I feel you, those films do nothing for me.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Controversial opinion maybe but as much as I love Brendan Gleeson I'm kinda getting tired of the McDonagh clan's schtick. It feels kinda obnoxious and edgelord a lot of the time, in a way I can't really express but like Joe Carnahan level annoying.
I really didn't like Three Billboards or Seven Psychopaths. I liked In Bruges, but I was like...16 or 17 or something, so that makes sense.
To be fair I haven't seen enough of John Michael McDonagh to paint him with the same brush, but I got the same vibes from The Guard, which I also wasn't a fan of. They just seem like, 50 something racist dickhead white dudes...

I kind of feel like this, although In Bruges is still one of my favorite films. It is very "scripty" as it has so many basic screenwriting set-ups and Chekov's guns but somehow it works, the dialogue is really funny, the mood is melancholy but at the same time nonchalant.
But after that, I've found his films really masturbatory and irritating. Like he is parodying himself or something.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.
I just realized no know has posted the trailer for RRR yet! For shame!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgBoMJy386M

One of the most entertaining movies I've ever seen.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s been out for months

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

CelticPredator posted:

It’s been out for months

This is true. It doesn't change the fact that it is awesome and no one had posted it before, as far as I can tell.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Meh i don’t think anyone really wants the true story of marilyn monroe. The myth is just far more intriguing. Hard pass, unless it’s another psychological horror by pablo larrain

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
mcdonagh has stagewriting sensibilities which makes his movies a little less exciting

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Scuffy_1989 posted:

The whole thing could have been avoided if the Communists had decided to not invade South Korea.

My favorite part of blowback is finding out how the 38th parallel becoming a thing was just 2 drunk American generals realizing that their strategic line was due the next day so found the closest line that worked in a National Geographic magazine at like 2am because neither had ever looked at a map of Korea let alone been there.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm a hard pass on biopics in general I've completely burned out on them. No to Elvis. No to Marilyn. No to whoever eventually makes a Gene Wilder one. No.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The only biopics I'm interested in are ones that feel more like a historical period flick than a hagiography, or one that uses its subject as a vessel for a larger musing. Something like The Aviator doesn't really feel like a biopic to me because it intersects with so many other things that I'm interested in, it really soaks in its era, and it also felt like it was more about genius than it was about Hughes.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I recently enjoyed Alex Cox's Walker because it actually sets out to comment on the entire history of American imperialist policy in Latin America, and makes some really creative/fun/anachronistic choices, rather than just set out to make a historical biopic about William Walker.

The Aviator is fun but I really just wanted the first chunk about Hughes in the studio system to be the entire movie. Shoulda been The Filmmaker, man.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Agreed, it would have been a better trilogy with time jumps between. And that first film would definitely have been my favorite of them.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

The only biopics I'm interested in are ones that feel more like a historical period flick than a hagiography, or one that uses its subject as a vessel for a larger musing. Something like The Aviator doesn't really feel like a biopic to me because it intersects with so many other things that I'm interested in, it really soaks in its era, and it also felt like it was more about genius than it was about Hughes.

Honestly I felt like Chadeick Boseman's biopic on James Brown Get Up hit this as well.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I know Elvis is a biopic technically... but it's Baz Luhrmann. I can't imagine lumping that in with the genre as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Someone needs to learn the right lesson from Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. Make that Lennon biopic, but have it be about how he defeated the saucer men.