Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

just always take “mine” to fix merge conflicts. gently caress those other guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Speaking of those, it's "funny" that --ours and --their have the opposite meanings in rebase mode since git does a rebase by checking out the target branch and doing a kinda cherry-pick of each commit onto it. So if you're working on a branch named some-feature and do `git rebase main`, --ours refers to main and and --their refers to some-feature.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

brand engager posted:

Speaking of those, it's "funny" that --ours and --their have the opposite meanings in rebase mode since git does a rebase by checking out the target branch and doing a kinda cherry-pick of each commit onto it. So if you're working on a branch named some-feature and do `git rebase main`, --ours refers to main and and --their refers to some-feature.

yes, git is endlessly confusing and hostile

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

mystes posted:

Xerox parc really invented everything, huh

turns out if you can get a place with a budget that upper management forgets about for a couple of years you can get real work done

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

akadajet posted:

just always take “mine” to fix merge conflicts. gently caress those other guys

i just always take theirs because i have impostor syndrome and obviously they know better

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I almost always take theirs if the merge is looking ugly because I wrote my changes, it's going to be really easy for me to write them again on top of the new baseline. Certainly way easier than figuring out what someone else's changes actually were and rewriting them on top of my own code.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

brand engager posted:

ty for mentioning this because I suspected this was the case but have never bothered to look it up while rebasing (or remembered to look it up afterwards)

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

like I said, hell is merging other peoples' changes

the worst is when someone makes a javascript or css change and can't remember why they did it and then figuring out it was a merge gone wrong because they only merged half the changes in a conflicting changeset.

But otherwise, having the gui handle merge conflicts is one of the nicer things that I don't miss about git. Or at least git in the early days, since merge conflicts generated these huge ugly blocks of text that got plopped right in the middle of the source files.

All the git-managed code that I have is in my own codebases so there are never any conflicts. Maybe I should pick up git again, just so I can feel

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

click magic wand tool in jetbrains merge and then take a nap

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

brand engager posted:

just open it in kdiff where it's A and B so you've got no idea which is which and then guess!

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

brand engager posted:

Oh that reminds me, almost everyone should change the git config so pull.rebase=true (will rebase instead of doing a merge commit if your local branch had changes not in the remote when you pull) and merge.conflictstyle=diff3 (shows what the conflicting section looked like in the common ancestor commit before yours and the other conflicting branch changed it). There's probably plenty more I don't know about, a bunch of the default git settings are terrible.

i wish pull didn't even exist. if you want it then alias it yourself.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

why can’t clients show the branch or tag name or something useful when merging?

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

i just introduced the idea of forking to a team using Bitbucket to version control a project and its variants with 10 branches with no discernible dependency structure between branches beyond the first few commits. the main branch is empty (just a .gitignore)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
reporting was running like dogshit cause operations was slamming some report with a really bad query. it was taking like 10 minutes to run so i open up this function and its total rear end. i spent like an hour trying to understand what its doing and why it doesnt perform well, but it doesnt really make sense cause it should work fine. as bad as the query is the joins and the indexes look correct. I started to re-write it and then on a hunch i enter the secret code OPTION(RECOMPILE) and now its instant.

the query is still really loving bad, but now i dont have to rebuild it.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Shaggar posted:

reporting was running like dogshit cause operations was slamming some report with a really bad query. it was taking like 10 minutes to run so i open up this function and its total rear end. i spent like an hour trying to understand what its doing and why it doesnt perform well, but it doesnt really make sense cause it should work fine. as bad as the query is the joins and the indexes look correct. I started to re-write it and then on a hunch i enter the secret code OPTION(RECOMPILE) and now its instant.

Why did you make it so bad in the first place, OP?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Shaggar posted:

if it's running bad and you don't have that option, add it. if it's running bad and you do have that option, remove it. repeat until no one actively complains

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

gently caress, I think I've just committed to starting a new company and rewriting a product from scratch.

i.e. a product & custom project shop is quite frequently the wrong approach. Need to split into a product shop and design studio. This ironically from wanting to do the custom projects, but the product is so dire it is making me look bad.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 5, 2022

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

MrMoo posted:

gently caress, I think I've just committed to starting a new company and rewriting a product from scratch.

get as much capital as you can, then figure out how to get it into your bank account

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

get as much capital as you can, then figure out how to get it into your bank account

i'm from the murder capital where we murder for capital

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it is easier to raise in sf as a nyc company than to raise in nyc as a nyc company an astounding amount of the time

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Shaggar posted:

yer a dba now Harry

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

chaosbreather posted:

click magic wand tool in jetbrains merge and then take a nap

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's not enough to put visual studio out of business, noe they're going after Hitachi?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

it's remarkable just how many moderately to very succesful businesses use ruby on rails, given how few people seem to program/learn it (at least according to the SO dev survey) and how awful it looks. dynamic types, monkey patching, active records. everything i hate, but the evidence is really stacking up against my dislike of these things!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

distortion park posted:

it's remarkable just how many moderately to very succesful businesses use ruby on rails, given how few people seem to program/learn it (at least according to the SO dev survey) and how awful it looks. dynamic types, monkey patching, active records. everything i hate, but the evidence is really stacking up against my dislike of these things!
I'll admit, I don't understand the reason to choose ruby on rails over Django. Does anyone here know the real pros/cons?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I go away for a week and someone somehow messed up a rebase on idk day 2 and they've been scratching their heads the rest of the time trying to work out why their diffs to master are wrong

idk what they did, from the graph is it looks like they somehow imported the changes but linearly into the branch instead of moving the branch "up" to split off master, so the branch became a list of two sequential sets of commits

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
lol git
all you hear is rebase horror stories

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I just don't use rebase. who cares, just merge. hg had it right forbidding all that nonsense by default

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

distortion park posted:

a lot of saas nonsense is just glorified crud poo poo at its core, and things like django or rails are actually really productive for things like that. people who actually like sql will detest most of the database touching parts, but you sure can bang out a lot of forms in -> tables out poo poo in a very short amount of time. you don't even need to know much about sql, and i'd say django also has a significantly better chance of avoiding a lot of common sql pitfalls than a lot of mid-level engineers i've worked with. there's also a ton of pretty good extension libraries for doing pretty common things that would otherwise take quite a bit of resources to get right, things like database tree structures, tag managers and whatnot.

intuitively speaking it seems to me like choosing a framework like rails or django when starting a business would be a pretty good thing - you probably have pretty limited resources, you don't have scaling issues yet, you just want to focus on shipping something. i've been on greenfield projects in node and golang where a ton of time was spent on reinventing wheels and/or researching which of half a dozen open source libraries we should use to do something that's builtin functionality in django.

once the project grows big enough you start running into the usual orm limitations and scaling problems, but by then you should have the resources to deal with it, and you can actually run a pretty dang big business out of a heroku standard tier postgres database these days.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 8, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

TheFluff posted:

a lot of saas nonsense is just glorified crud poo poo at its core, and things like django or rails are actually really productive for things like that. people who actually like sql will detest most of the database touching parts, but you sure can bang out a lot of forms in -> tables out poo poo in a very short amount of time. you don't even need to know much about sql, and i'd say django also has a significantly better chance of avoiding a lot of common sql pitfalls than a lot of mid-level engineers i've worked with. there's also a ton of pretty good extension libraries for doing pretty common things that would otherwise take quite a bit of resources to get right, things like database tree structures, tag managers and whatnot.

intuitively speaking it seems to me like choosing a framework like rails or django when starting a business would be a pretty good thing - you probably have pretty limited resources, you don't have scaling issues yet, you just want to focus on shipping something. i've been on greenfield projects in node and golang where a ton of time was spent on reinventing wheels and/or researching which of half a dozen open source libraries we should use to do something that django comes with built in.

once the project grows big enough you start running into the usual orm limitations and scaling problems, but by then you should have the resources to deal with it, and you can actually run a pretty dang big business out of a heroku standard tier postgres database these days.
I think django is easy to understand but rails seems less so in 2022

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 8, 2022

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

mystes posted:

I think django is easy to understand but rails seems less so in 2022

fair, i've never actually used rails myself either

mystes
May 31, 2006

TheFluff posted:

I mean rails always seemed a little more magical but I don't think they're necessarily that different when you just compare django and rails specifically... but outside of rails ruby is so much less popular than python that it seems like it would be much easier to use django anyway? I don't know

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the companies using rails in 2022 that are big started using rails in 2013 or whereabouts when the ruby vs python thing was a little bit less settled in favor of python and ruby was the weirdos interested in it lang, like rustlang is now

mystes
May 31, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the companies using rails in 2022 that are big started using rails in 2013 or whereabouts when the ruby vs python thing was a little bit less settled in favor of python and ruby was the weirdos interested in it lang, like rustlang is now
I guess good for them for not pointlessly rewriting it every couple years then

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its also, like... stripe has 4000 devs and the core ruby team has a very comparable number of devs to core python team, both <100 devs. so if you're an incipient tech major like stripe is you can go and get language extensions done

Deffon
Mar 28, 2010

distortion park posted:

This video was really influencial at the time from what I understand.

People also seemed to prefer it in general, both ASP.NET MVC and Spring Boot took more inspiration from it than than they took from Django from what I can see.

Ruby on Rails started losing popularity when Node.js (async), SPAs and Mongodb became more popular. Not only was it losing market share to other ecosystems that took inspiration from it, but now the "hip" paradigms were a lot different than what Ruby on Rails offered.

Why use it if you don't care about server-side dynamic web pages and SQL ORMs?
The magic is suddenly not intriguing enough if you maintain a separate frontend.
Ruby on Rails also gained a reputation as a framework that doesn't scale (for good reason) when e.g. Twitter rewrote their backend in Scala.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

TheFluff posted:

rails (well, activerecord really) pisses me off with all the goofy convenience methods is spews out.

an integer should not have a days_ago method that returns a date/time

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

nudgenudgetilt posted:

an integer should not have a days_ago method that returns a date/time

:barf:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Just deleted 25% of a production app's code for a dashboard without losing any features. It now runs in 1/8th the time because it makes only 1/5th the number of API calls. It was just making a poo poo load of API calls that could all be one call on a fairly rate limited API, then making a bunch of dataframes for reasons that I still dont understand but could actually be one dataframe.

It feels like taking a satisfying poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

distortion park posted:

I just don't use rebase. who cares, just merge. hg had it right forbidding all that nonsense by default

searching and filtering commits in git is so godawful that merging too much makes the history unreadable