Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a digital orc
May 14, 2003

You see, Guragh, they can't fire me for sexual harassment. The crime doesn't fit the punishment! :orks:

born on a buy you posted:

sure but like if you’re in the United States and are a chud why are you backing the bobbies?? shouldn’t you be pro local racist cops

sorry but you need to describe what bobbies are in american for me thx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

hbag posted:

i dont know but we have a big-rear end, loud-rear end air conditioner in the "office" and when i had them on i literally could not hear it at all

the reason active noise canceling headphones work is they are actually generating soundwaves that are 180 degrees out of phase with the sound waves they pick up from outside.

this middle category is what your headphones are doing. its nifty, but i'm personally not a huge fan of active noise canceling because although i can't hear the sounds it's generating to cancel the other sounds, it feels like there's pressure on my ears when the active noise canceling is on.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

a digital orc posted:

sorry but you need to describe what bobbies are in american for me thx

slang for oral sex, innit

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Mr. Nice! posted:

this middle category is what your headphones are doing. its nifty, but i'm personally not a huge fan of active noise canceling because although i can't hear the sounds it's generating to cancel the other sounds, it feels like there's pressure on my ears when the active noise canceling is on.

yeah its nonrational but this is why i cant wear em either, it just feels bizzare and unnatural

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

born on a buy you posted:

sure but like if you’re in the United States and are a chud why are you backing the bobbies?? shouldn’t you be pro local racist cops

back the blue, no matter who

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

noise canceling headphones do that to me too. ive even gotten nauseous from them before when they were really going nuts and the seal on the headphones was weird

it isn't irrational to not wanna feel bad

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

rotor posted:

yeah its nonrational but this is why i cant wear em either, it just feels bizzare and unnatural

i don't think its non-rational - although you cannot interpret the sound waves because they negate each other, there are still sound waves and thus pressure being generated.

i also have tinnitus and hearing loss and weird ear stuff from time to time anyways, so that may have some impact here.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
rip the rare good australian

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i do not think the majority of people are bothered by it, but based upon my experience and that of two goons i'm confident in saying that some people are bothered by active noise cancellation. that doesn't mean it's bad. my ex-gf loves her headphones. i can't use em.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Mr. Nice! posted:

i do not think the majority of people are bothered by it, but based upon my experience and that of two goons i'm confident in saying that some people are bothered by active noise cancellation. that doesn't mean it's bad. my ex-gf loves her headphones. i can't use em.

well yeah duh she got them in the breakup

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

bump_fn posted:

well yeah duh she got them in the breakup

lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Mr. Nice! posted:

i don't think its non-rational - although you cannot interpret the sound waves because they negate each other

1 + (-1) is zero - the sound pressure isn't actually there, at least not theoretically. Maybe its the errors on the edges of the sound or something that are sub-audible but still somehow feel weird.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Mr. Nice! posted:

for my twitch/youtube setup, because i hate headphones, i use speakers but they bleed into the mic a little bit. so i have a special dedicated box set up that takes the speaker audio, inverts the phase, and delays it by about 2.5 ms to match the distance x speed of sound in air delay, then feeds it into the mic channel. basically handrolled the above

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

rotor posted:

1 + (-1) is zero - the sound pressure isn't actually there, at least not theoretically. Maybe its the errors on the edges of the sound or something that are sub-audible but still somehow feel weird.

yeah that's right. for some reason i was thinking that after perfectly destructive interference there was still a pressure, but the waves are gone so there can't be.

my bet is you're right and it's some bleedover with an neigh inaudible frequency.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i haven’t thought about it at all, but wouldn’t they only cancel in some places but not others? like since their source location is different it can’t actually totally cancel the sound.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i get the pressure thing too. i've always used cheap devices with anc and figured it was just due to them being cheap, but these posts make me suspect i'd feel the same with bose

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Eeyo posted:

i haven’t thought about it at all, but wouldn’t they only cancel in some places but not others? like since their source location is different it can’t actually totally cancel the sound.

nope. airpods pro have two microphones. one is on the outside and hears, well, the world. this is the main driver for the noise cancellation. the only thing you care about is time of arrival at the ear, they dont care how far away it is

they also have a microphone inside facing your ear. this is a correction mic that fine tunes the cancellation algorithm because everybodys ear and fit is gonna be different, so it will detect if some high frequency content is leaking through or whatever, and tune the math to cancel that out.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jonny 290 posted:

for my twitch/youtube setup, because i hate headphones, i use speakers but they bleed into the mic a little bit. so i have a special dedicated box set up that takes the speaker audio, inverts the phase, and delays it by about 2.5 ms to match the distance x speed of sound in air delay, then feeds it into the mic channel. basically handrolled the above

that's awesome!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

nope. airpods pro have two microphones. one is on the outside and hears, well, the world. this is the main driver for the noise cancellation. the only thing you care about is time of arrival at the ear, they dont care how far away it is

they also have a microphone inside facing your ear. this is a correction mic that fine tunes the cancellation algorithm because everybodys ear and fit is gonna be different, so it will detect if some high frequency content is leaking through or whatever, and tune the math to cancel that out.

computers are fast

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

mine sure aint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

computers are fast

and the wild thing is that, yes, since you have an ear-facing microphone right next to the speaker in the airpod, it's basically getting hurricane'd constantly with really high volume audio. but it has its own noise cancelling algorithm to nullify that out, so it's listening for mouse farts while ignoring the tornado two mm from it. computers are faaaaaast

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

ok it makes more sense with an extra feedback mic. i was thinking the wavelength was shorter too, but it's like > 1cm, so the ear is small compared to that and yeah just getting timing right should do it.

i was thinking of like waves in a pond from 2 different sources.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Jonny 290 posted:

and the wild thing is that, yes, since you have an ear-facing microphone right next to the speaker in the airpod, it's basically getting hurricane'd constantly with really high volume audio. but it has its own noise cancelling algorithm to nullify that out, so it's listening for mouse farts while ignoring the tornado two mm from it. computers are faaaaaast
haha that poo poo rules.

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

helo yospals <3

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
what if you got a pair of those earmuffs people wear to mow lawns and put those on on top of your normal headphones?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

prefect posted:

what if you got a pair of those earmuffs people wear to mow lawns and put those on on top of your normal headphones?

this is a thing yes, sometimes when dudes go shooting they wear noise cancelling over-ear cans, but then put the earbud from a walkie-talkie in first, so they can talk to each other. it works fine

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

when i was a kid we had a pair of earmuffs that had a mic on the outside, and then it would cut out when it detected a gunshot. worked great, and you could crank the volume so you had amplified hearing when you were waiting for a deer to walk by that was circa 1993 and it owned

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

cjs: forgot about a project for two months but I found the least painful way to fall on my sword and got it through pommel and all so well the customer didn't even notice I had done it lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

when i was a kid we had a pair of earmuffs that had a mic on the outside, and then it would cut out when it detected a gunshot. worked great, and you could crank the volume so you had amplified hearing when you were waiting for a deer to walk by that was circa 1993 and it owned

yeah i have a pair and they're very different than noise cancelling earphones, i like em a lot.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

rotor posted:

yeah i have a pair and they're very different than noise cancelling earphones, i like em a lot.

those things are cool.

big heavy duty passive ear muffs are cool, too, but they only get around 20db in reduction. going into the engine rooms you're supposed to wear those and earplugs.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

cjs: forgot about a project for two months but I found the least painful way to fall on my sword and got it through pommel and all so well the customer didn't even notice I had done it lol

I ducking hate working on multiple projects at once and I will never go back to it

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

quack quack motherfucker

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

bump_fn posted:

rip the rare good australian

Olivia newton john or the footie guy

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Achmed Jones posted:

these turned out to be the best option for woodworking, you can turn the external mic up to what’s comfortable and then it compresses anything above like 90dB with 2ms to the max volume setting you’re on. for some reason (market size?) woodworker muffs tend to be passive from 24 - 30 suppression but there are very few active options that use compression - though there are lots of radio tuner versions. anyways, they are amazing for woodworking or anything intermittently loud.

i’m betting the reason airpods have an in-ear microphone is because noise cancelling as a concept Works really well but is very sensitive to calibration i.e very slight distance changes in the parameters. if you don’t cancel it completely you get a bit of the original signal and the inverse and they can add up. there’s probably a generic distance parameter and then they just adjust from the feedback. this is probably also why they have that nice sealed ear test. it’s extremely cool but the wild part is it’s working on ms level - which is a 100 microseconds which is a decent amount of time to process and adjust. especially when tuned, processors are really fast yeah

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Enderzero posted:

these turned out to be the best option for woodworking, you can turn the external mic up to what’s comfortable and then it compresses anything above like 90dB with 2ms to the max volume setting you’re on. for some reason (market size?) woodworker muffs tend to be passive from 24 - 30 suppression but there are very few active options that use compression - though there are lots of radio tuner versions. anyways, they are amazing for woodworking or anything intermittently loud.

100% can confirm

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Mr. Nice! posted:

yeah that's right. for some reason i was thinking that after perfectly destructive interference there was still a pressure, but the waves are gone so there can't be.

my bet is you're right and it's some bleedover with an neigh inaudible frequency.

idk if this is related, but a lot of people (like me) feel pressure on ur eardrums when you stand inside an anechoic chamber

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I ducking hate working on multiple projects at once and I will never go back to it

I’m the only datacenter expert in the project delivery team :smithicide:

on the plus side it means my boss is willing to throw fat stacks of money to keep me around so :confuoot:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

fart simpson posted:

idk if this is related, but a lot of people (like me) feel pressure on ur eardrums when you stand inside an anechoic chamber

now i'm remembering the couple of times i've been in a recording studio and yeah whichever ear was facing the nearest sound-absorbing wall would feel a pressure on it

i'm just gonna chalk it up to our evolution never encountering true silence and so when it happens it sort of glitches out a bit. idk

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

fart simpson posted:

i have never been in one of those nor do i know what one of those is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
so how do you know you've never been in one?