Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
a long time ago the cable modems w/ phone service came w/ a slot to load a battery into the actual modem, but then i guess they realized nobody wanted phone service so building a rarely used compartment into every modem was a waste of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Agile Vector posted:

sorry, cox gigawhat?

you heard right

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

also, no one has a home phone anymore. Everyone has a smartphone so the whole five nines reliability that wired phone service was known for is now a relic of the past

my parents used to have dsl and the same home phone number for, uh, 30 years? Or something. And they dropped that poo poo like a hot potato when they got cable because the only legitimate calls they got were on their smartphones

reminds me of the cutover service when they took that poo poo seriously

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saRir95iIWk

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i had a home phone for a little bit because the court demanded someone in my home be on house arrest and the device had to go through a phone line.

finally took the jack out today after at&t came out.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i had a home phone for a little bit because the court demanded someone in my home be on house arrest and the device had to go through a phone line.

finally took the jack out today after at&t came out.

I actually had a home phone in 2017 for about a year or two and was planning to run a bbs off of it but running a 50W minitower 24/7 was not something I wanted to expense at the time for shits and giggles. Would have added like $35 to my electric bill or something. Now that I think about it, I should have tried to source a US Robotics 56K external modem and connect it to an rpi or something.

I swear, electricity must have been dirt cheap in the 90s because we ran a 486 as a linux router to share the cable modem and no one cared about the bill.

Anyways, I had the phone line because it helps AT&T with some sort of federal accounting rebate and cuts my bill by $10, even with the phone line, which I ended up not using at all.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

needless to say, they don't offer that deal anymore because I would have seriously considered starting a yosbbs where you can download anime wallpapers and doom WADs

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://twitter.com/suzushiro333/status/1476509104512585732?t=OkiMc9PqRnYJYEEqDvcu7w&s=19

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

electricity was cheap but you'd better make yourself scarce when your parents got that first phone bill after you discovered how to dial out to different places

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

spankmeister posted:

electricity was cheap but you'd better make yourself scarce when your parents got that first phone bill after you discovered how to dial out to different places

guess who downloaded patches and demos from the Sierra BBS! Yes, it was me. My parents were NOT happy.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Had a 2400 baud modem, too. 20 minutes for a megabyte, if I remember correctly.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

sb hermit posted:

I actually had a home phone in 2017 for about a year or two and was planning to run a bbs off of it but running a 50W minitower 24/7 was not something I wanted to expense at the time for shits and giggles. Would have added like $35 to my electric bill or something. Now that I think about it, I should have tried to source a US Robotics 56K external modem and connect it to an rpi or something.

I swear, electricity must have been dirt cheap in the 90s because we ran a 486 as a linux router to share the cable modem and no one cared about the bill.

Anyways, I had the phone line because it helps AT&T with some sort of federal accounting rebate and cuts my bill by $10, even with the phone line, which I ended up not using at all.

not sure about the $35 part.

I have no idea where you live, but:

50w * 24h/day = 1200wH = 1.2kwH
1.2 kwH * 30d = 36 kwH

even worst case scenario of hawaii at $0.4311/kwH that's $15.52 per month

Best case scenario of washington at $0.1034 that's $3.72 per month

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
BBS's were cool. I still logon to an operation overkill server sometimes.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Wild EEPROM posted:

not sure about the $35 part.

I have no idea where you live, but:

50w * 24h/day = 1200wH = 1.2kwH
1.2 kwH * 30d = 36 kwH

even worst case scenario of hawaii at $0.4311/kwH that's $15.52 per month

Best case scenario of washington at $0.1034 that's $3.72 per month

I live in southern california with a tiered plan (so it can get pretty bad) but your math don't lie, in any case. I wonder what kind of rig I wanted to use, or if I was remembering the pricing incorrectly. I probably priced it at the most expensive tier at the time, and might have been using more than 50 watts.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

BBS's were cool. I still logon to an operation overkill server sometimes.

I haven't logged onto a bbs in a dog's age but I kinda want to run a home grown renegade or wildcat when I retire and if POTS systems are still around.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

7-11 stores in denmark are closed since last night, media suspects ransomware lol

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

:owned:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

there is a functioning land line in my house connected to a working handset, and I can’t convince my fiancée to let me get rid of it. it took like four tries for bell to successfully get the right number on the right account with the right service (“you mean the VOIP service, right?” “no, amazingly, I still do not”)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

even my boomer parents canceled their landline over a decade ago. i remember exactly 15 years ago when i moved into a house with some other dudes, we had to get a landline number to get internet. we didnt need to actually put in a phone, just had to have a number (i assume for their janky cms or something). we got something like 32122222 because it was funny to have that and not use it

also, 7-11 confirms its a "hack"

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

sb hermit posted:

man i wanna cut them cables, looks satisfying. and it has a purpose too

i think i might have a cable cutting fetish

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
tied in the house phone wiring with an rj-21x in the network rack, plugged in a dumb phone, and patched it into a sip box. costs practically nothing to have a physical phone on the wall for when the kids are old enough to stay home alone for a bit but mot have a cell phone.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
tor relay /
sip trunk prepaid

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Beeftweeter posted:

e: ^^^ yeah thats my understanding

i'm really skeptical an ONT might cause this, primarily because

seems much more likely, what about the other networking hardware? if it's consumer off the shelf poo poo it just might not be up to the task, depending on whatever the load is

Third party SFP ONT are a convenience item if you have a router with a sfp wan port or a nerd fidget spinner(since it will require constant tinkering). It does nothing for latency or performance(since most units have a gigabit phy, same as the ISP external ONT kit). Source: I have a technicolor AFM0002TIM SFP ONT provided by my ISP.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

sb hermit posted:

also, no one has a home phone anymore. Everyone has a smartphone so the whole five nines reliability that wired phone service was known for is now a relic of the past

my parents used to have dsl and the same home phone number for, uh, 30 years? Or something. And they dropped that poo poo like a hot potato when they got cable because the only legitimate calls they got were on their smartphones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saRir95iIWk

i love this video so much

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

sb hermit posted:

needless to say, they don't offer that deal anymore because I would have seriously considered starting a yosbbs where you can download anime wallpapers and doom WADs

cox is still cheaper with an phone than without, adding the $15 or whatever for a line enables me to get a $30 "bundle" discount, but I haven't had an MTA with a phone jack in 10 years.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

whoever had my apartment last had the service with the phone cuz the ont was the kind that comes with a battery input and a place to put a battery, but since i didn't have the phone service there wasn't a battery. i just got my own battery (normal-rear end sealed lead acid) and plugged it in cuz why not

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
at one point in that video, the guy explains that the cutting tools have been sharpened in a special way to prevent shorts… wth is he talking about?? the shape of the blade or something? idgi

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

namlosh posted:

at one point in that video, the guy explains that the cutting tools have been sharpened in a special way to prevent shorts… wth is he talking about?? the shape of the blade or something? idgi

i think it means they won't short wires together (which i've definitely had happen myself), I can't imagine how it wouldn't short against the metal of the cutter itself but that would only be very brief

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
covering the blade with something insulating and only sharpening away the bit directly on the edge would do it i reckon.

you're not really concerned about temporarily "shorting" the strand you're cutting with the other half of it that you're cutting it away from - the thing to be avoided is bridging different strands together.

assuming this is some kind of stranded cable with multiple distinct strands in it, anyway. i think even 100 years ago when those things were built they wouldn't be using such a chunky cable for a single signal.

e: or yeah, probably just talking about cutting in a way that it doesn't leave strands bridged together after you take the cutters away. that's pretty important considering half of those lines are about to be energized by the new equipment you're turning on.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
thx, that sounds plausible.

I didn’t mention that I’m intimately familiar with shorting two leads together while cutting them. years ago I went to cut the connector on a fully charged 3S lipo I was using in an RC car.

if I hadn’t realized and thrown it immediately I may have lost fingat
well, maybe not that, but it did flash liquify the solder and emit a really high pitched whine

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

This is my lack of knowledge about old switching and ESS but why did all of the cables have to be physically cut before that guy towards the end of the video could throw the switch?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

rafikki posted:

This is my lack of knowledge about old switching and ESS but why did all of the cables have to be physically cut before that guy towards the end of the video could throw the switch?

i think the official answer is that they're physically connected to the same lines, and the old-school system doesn't have a convenient "disconnect and don't respond to any signals" switch the way the new system does. just cutting all the cables to the old system before turning the new one on is faster and cheaper than retrofitting a simultaneous system-wide disconnect switch to the old system that you intend to use exactly once.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jabor posted:

i think the official answer is that they're physically connected to the same lines, and the old-school system doesn't have a convenient "disconnect and don't respond to any signals" switch the way the new system does. just cutting all the cables to the old system before turning the new one on is faster and cheaper than retrofitting a simultaneous system-wide disconnect switch to the old system that you intend to use exactly once.

and which would also require you to cut in to the lines to fit the disconnect switch anyway so i mean, yeah

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

this is how i cut cables

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etBb4pfkMvw&t=93s

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

They cut the telephone lines, yet dialed into a mainframe to get the money :thunk:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

CommieGIR posted:

They cut the telephone lines, yet dialed into a mainframe to get the money :thunk:

the one bruder is splicing cables, maybe those are some of them? idk

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
"Are there any emergency calls in progress at this time? Good enough."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Carthag Tuek posted:

the one bruder is splicing cables, maybe those are some of them? idk

But they then cut all the cables with a chainsaw. Unless its in the basement?

Tech in film is always fun.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Loezi posted:

this is the kind of thinking that'll land you maintaining a huge erlang/otp codebase, and no one wants that

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

CommieGIR posted:

But they then cut all the cables with a chainsaw. Unless its in the basement?

Tech in film is always fun.

“The codes, if you please.”

“I can’t! There’s no internet!”

“Mr Takage, i will count to three. There will not be a four”

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Loezi posted:

lmao she actually says "good enough" :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jabor posted:

assuming this is some kind of stranded cable with multiple distinct strands in it, anyway. i think even 100 years ago when those things were built they wouldn't be using such a chunky cable for a single signal.

Those are old trunk cables, each one probably has 60 or even 144 individual POTS lines that correspond 1 to 1 with actual people's phones and also carries 48VDC. That current is what they wanted to make sure they didn't short when they cut the cables.