Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBADLsYZnCE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Vacation's over! Except for Corden, but the other four shows are on again. Don't have end-of-week for Colbert yet. Kimmel's guest hosts this week are Dana Carvey, Kerry Washington, and RuPaul. No Friday show for Fallon. And both of Seth's guests tonight (Monday) have obscene plugs—Issa Rae is promoting Rap Sh!t, and Nikki Glaser's hawking Fuckboy Island, both on HBO. He also has the cast and director of Nope on Thursday. Fun!

Schedule for the week starting 2022.07.18
Subject and likely to change

Colbert
Monday - Billy Crystal, Paul Hollywood
Tuesday - Ethan Hawke, Courtney Barnett
Wednesday - Ice-T, Michael Pollan
Thursday - TBA

Corden
Reruns

Kimmel
Monday - Guest Host Dana Carvey;
Quentin Tarantino, Julia Garner, DOMi & JD BECK feat. Anderson .Paak
Tuesday - Guest Host Dana Carvey; David Spade, Maria Bakalova, Whitney
Wednesday - Guest Host Kerry Washington; Dwayne Johnson, Derek Jeter, Wiz Khalifa and Lizzo
Thursday - Guest Host RuPaul; Hannah Waddingham, Phoebe Robinson, The Interrupters

Fallon
Monday - Jane Fonda, Joe Keery, Alex G
Tuesday - Michael Cera, Keke Palmer, The Black Keys
Wednesday - Daniel Kaluuya, Sarah Hyland, Denzel Curry
Thursday - Ryan Gosling, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Pete Lee
Friday - Rerun

Seth
Monday - Issa Rae, Nikki Glaser
Tuesday - Lisa Kudrow, Alex Holder, Hoodo Hersi
Wednesday - Katie Holmes, Joe Pera
Thursday - Daniel Kaluuya, Jordan Peele, Keke Palmer and Brandon Perea

pwn fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 20, 2022

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Excited to see The Interrupters on Kimmel. One of m—

Somebody fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 19, 2022

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
ONE OF YOUR FAV BANDS?!?!

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Stare-Out posted:

Apparently this is on Youtube: "Conan O'Brien Can't Stop" with commentary by the director, Conan, Mike Sweeney, Andy and Sona.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGatvwHuP1Q

This is awesome, thanks so much for sharing it. I'm always stunned at how goddamn quick Andy is; he's capable of just the simplest, perfect jokes about stuff with what feels like a half-second of setup.

Speaking of, I don't know how much actual gloves-off poo poo talking he and Conan have done over the years, but he was on Comedy Bang Bang! a few weeks back and clearly gives absolutely zero shits about playing nice. He rips into Jay at multiple points and even bags on Max Weinberg, who apparently was a bigger dick than I realized and Jimmy Vivino taking over as band leader when they moved to TBS makes a ton more sense than just "oh, he was touring with Springsteen."

It's a funny episode in general (mainly because he's so good at riffing and is so fast on his feet), but those bits came out pretty much unprompted and he clearly feels either comfy by whatever that HBO deal Conan got or just is going to coast on residuals or something, but there's zero career protection happening for the whole thing, and it's great.

[edit] Do we know when Brian Stack jumped over to Colbert? He's been there for years now, but seeing him again in a place where he was clearly more appreciated makes me sad that he's given such weak rear end poo poo to perform now. I'm glad he has work, but I hate that it's so... lovely.

[edit2] I know I keep posting Seth clips, but I'm such a helpless fan of late night absurdity, and I want to reward taking an entire segment to do stuff like this before the guests have come out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ9ES2jr3CI

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 21, 2022

pwn
May 27, 2004

GreenNight posted:

Excited to see The Interrupters on Kimmel. One of m—

OldSenileGuy posted:

ONE OF YOUR FAV BANDS?!?!

Lol

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Colbert moderated the LOTR prequel series panel at SDCC. Should be good.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

did he say if hes in it yet? hes being coy but man id love if they made him tom bombadil

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
RIP Full Frontal I only ever watched you for the first year or so off and on but your later segments were pretty great

pwn
May 27, 2004

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

RIP Full Frontal I only ever watched you for the first year or so off and on but your later segments were pretty great

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/samantha-bee-canceled-full-frontal-1235324772/

Now who do I turn to for punching-left poo poo takes?

Anyway that led me to this article which was absolutely disgusting but totally believable: CBS Mulls Replacing James Corden With Late-Night Panel Show After Exit

quote:

People familiar with the matter suggest CBS is mindful of having the new show’s production costs align with the new ways people are watching late-night TV. Producers of the shows often find themselves focusing more intently on feedback from social media users, who pass around clips from the previous evening’s programs and watch them on Twitter or YouTube. In some views, the big late-night shows remains tied to some of TV’s earliest traditions and may not be as relevant to an audience that often watches comedy clips on phones and tablets. Many networks have chosen to test weekly shows that have ties to late-night antics, such as Samantha Bee’s “Full Frontal” on TBS or “Desus & Mero” on Showtime.

I'm not happy to be Old Man Yelling at Clouds about the matter, but I hate this shift over the past few years. Fallon doesn't do a monologue anymore, he does half a dozen self-contained bits that can be cut up and put online. And the race to the bottom for diminishing attention spans for the people watching the show live continues; every show now teases upcoming segments and shows with lower-third snipes, earlier this year Fallon started teasing clips of upcoming segments, surprisingly at ABC they added the Cleto and the Cletones credit back into the opening after cutting it several years ago. Anyway I hate change and want things to be the same as they used to be etc

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

In a world where we have Cody Showdy doing Some More News on YouTube, we don't really need anyone else.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Exactly, right? I started off enjoying her show at the beginning, but once she did a few segments about how bad Bernie Bros were in the lead up to the 2016 election, I felt something was off.
I never really resumed watching during the ensuing Trump years.

EL BROMANCE posted:

In a world where we have Cody Showdy doing Some More News on YouTube, we don't really need anyone else.
That show is an absolute masterstroke. I can't believe how well he delivers long stretches of funny and insightful takes (and you can tell that he actually believes his rants, unlike the hosts of some other shows).

pwn
May 27, 2004

y'all warming my angry leftist heart with cody love

Corden still on vacation (I don't think the cruise show's ever gonna happen, guys,) and Kimmel is repeats this week as well. Still got entertainment for you! Really!!

Schedule for the week starting 2022.07.25

Colbert
Monday - Rep. Jamie Raskin, Death Cab for Cutie
Tuesday - Charlamagne tha God, Brett Gelman
Wednesday - Amanda Seyfried, Stephen Merchant, Louis Cato and Stay Human
Thursday - Jonathan Karl, BJ Novak

Corden
Reruns

Kimmel
Reruns

Fallon
Monday - Kevin Hart, Joseph Quinn, Toro y Moi
Tuesday - John Krasinski, Regé-Jean Page, Maggie Rogers
Wednesday - Neil Patrick Harris, Cara Delevingne, Bruce the Robot
Thursday - Mark Wahlberg, Billy Porter, AJR
Friday - Rerun

Seth
Monday - Rhea Seehorn, Jeremy Allen White
Tuesday - Ethan Hawke, Joel Kim Booster, Iman Vellani
Wednesday - Nathan Lane, Maren Morris Canceled!
Thursday - TBA, Adam Pally Canceled!

pwn fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 28, 2022

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

Exactly, right? I started off enjoying her show at the beginning, but once she did a few segments about how bad Bernie Bros were in the lead up to the 2016 election, I felt something was off.
I never really resumed watching during the ensuing Trump years.

She was really early on the train of redeeming awful right-wingers who swore they were Never Trumpers too. Which is a shame because she did some really good bits at least in the early days.

I ended up with a bizarrely framed watch of her show, since I think my last episode was the one after Trump won the election and they clearly had no plans for it. I remember some review noting the pitch-black comedy of playing Wagon Wheel and trying to get a despondent crowd to sing along that "They Were Feeling Good As Hell" to close that one out.

Still a shame since it's another in the long line of shows getting gutted by the Warner/Discovery merger though.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Still a shame since it's another in the long line of shows getting gutted by the Warner/Discovery merger though.

Discovery is going to run it into the ground in a few years.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Aw man

https://twitter.com/ConanOBrien/status/1552394635884040192

I'll always remember him pouring beefaroni down the back of his pants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj-5YQw4Zf4

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Jesus, I practically just listened to the very recent "inside conan" ep with him and the other prop hero, unbelievable in hindsight. The stuff they did and how, simply god drat. It's worth your time to listen to. Distilled Late Night

pwn
May 27, 2004

Mid-week update:

https://twitter.com/sethmeyers/status/1552280100338638849

Also St Vincent has been sitting in with Jon Batiste Louis Kato and Stay Human.

pwn
May 27, 2004

New week, same as the last week: No Corden or Kimmel, Fallon and Colbert Monday-Thursday. Only difference is that Seth is still out sick, tentatively scheduled to return Wednesday.

ALSO! We have James Taylor sitting in all week with the Stay Human band over on Colbert, and will be a proper guest on Thursday. Last week, I neglected to mention that St Vincent was there all week, my deepest apologies. Seems to be a thing they're doing for the Summer. Fun!

Schedule for the week starting 2022.08.01

Colbert
Monday - Patton Oswalt, U.S. Secretary of Energy Jennifer Granholm
Tuesday - Shitlibs from Pod Save America, Bianca Cristovao
Wednesday - Ron Howard, Morfydd Clark
Thursday - James Taylor, Colman Domingo

Corden
Reruns

Kimmel
Reruns

Fallon
Monday - Chance the Rapper, The Cast of Reservation Dogs, Chance the Rapper feat. Joey Bada$$
Tuesday - Michael Strahan, Jamie Campbell Bower, King Princess
Wednesday - Kevin Bacon, Jo Koy, Katherine Blanford
Thursday - Joel McHale, Zoey Deutch, Saucy Santana
Friday - Rerun

Seth
Monday - Rerun
Tuesday - Rerun
Wednesday - Billy Porter, Jane Mayer
Thursday - LL COOL J, Cristin Milioti

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Jon Batiste's absence has only gotten weirder the longer he's been out. I'm happy that there are guests subbing in (I wasn't really familiar with St. Vincent, but she actually nailed the bits of banter with Colbert I saw), but it's weird seeing him front and center in the intro every week and then be a no-show for months on end.

I'm also bummed about Seth being out, since as I've mentioned that he feels like the only one of the late night hosts that manages both Conan-style weirdness-for-the-sake-of-weirdness and actual political commentary with any real teeth. I'm also dealing with a roommate that has The 'Vid, and even a week later, she's still testing positive.

Also, seeing any love for Cody's Showdy makes me so drat happy, as I've been a SMN backer for years now, and it's consistently some of the best long-form deep dive commentary out there that ALSO manages to make me laugh. Seeing mention of it just randomly pop up somewhere is awesome, since I don't think it's quite gotten the attention it deserves given how hard those guys work every week.

pwn
May 27, 2004

SamBishop posted:

Jon Batiste's absence has only gotten weirder the longer he's been out. I'm happy that there are guests subbing in (I wasn't really familiar with St. Vincent, but she actually nailed the bits of banter with Colbert I saw), but it's weird seeing him front and center in the intro every week and then be a no-show for months on end.

I strongly suspect that he's going to leave sooner than later. He's a Grammy-winner now, he doesn't need them anymore. He's taking the Summer to promote his album. I'm obviously upset but tbh the writing has been on the wall. His band had become low-effort over the home shows period; The 8G and Reggie Watts's LLS bands were doing fresh music every show, and the Cletones were doing some new music frequently (though not every show,) Stay Human had the same small collection of cues used for the whole period, rarely cycling in new material (it's worth noting that NBC just used pre-pandemic recordings of the Roots for Fallon's home shows, with some fresh bits... but Fallon was one of the first to return to a studio sans audience, and the Roots returned with him.) When Colbert and Stay Human both returned to the Ed Sullivan Theater, Batiste began with the trend of playing the same couple of cues over an episode. I suppose this could have been a creative decision, though I think it's not a great one, what does it matter what I think. Hopefully I'm wrong and he stays.

Louis Cato is a lot better about mixing it up throughout the show (though for a while he was really using Vertical Horizon's "Everything You Want" to the point of absurdity.) When Batiste first returned after a month or whatever of Cato I thought maybe he'd follow that tone but no, he went right back to the same 1-2 themes in a night. He also seemed less enthusiastic about it. It's hard to criticize this (a white guy demanding a black performer to be more enthusiastic isn't, erm, a good look,) these have just been my observations.

SamBishop posted:

I'm also bummed about Seth being out, since as I've mentioned that he feels like the only one of the late night hosts that manages both Conan-style weirdness-for-the-sake-of-weirdness and actual political commentary with any real teeth. I'm also dealing with a roommate that has The 'Vid, and even a week later, she's still testing positive.

Hope you enjoyed the two shows we got last week, because he's off all this week :haw: Can't find a reason, perhaps it was planned time off? Kinda doubt it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They only did the two shows last week because of the ones he missed with Covid. NBC told the show to take August off because the the entire networks ratings are poo poo in the summer and it's not worth the cost to do the show until September and seasonal shows start up again.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They only did the two shows last week because of the ones he missed with Covid. NBC told the show to take August off because the the entire networks ratings are poo poo in the summer and it's not worth the cost to do the show until September and seasonal shows start up again.

Source? Searching "NBC late night" yields no relevant results.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
He mentioned in corrections that he was taking all of august off

pwn
May 27, 2004

He mentioned in corrections that he was taking all of august off

Ah! And I still haven't watched the latest Corrections, thank you.

By the way you can get your jackal on with the long-awaited official Corrections mugs :monocle:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
They really need a vacuum flask option

pwn
May 27, 2004

Only 11:35 shows this week, Corden and Seth are off. Fallon is doing another :airquote: co-host :airquote: show, this time with Megan thee Stallion, on Thursday. Kimmel has guest hosts Rob McElhenney and David Alan Grier, an Colbert continues Grandpappy Old Home Week with Joe Walsh sitting in with the band all week.

Schedule for the week starting 2022.08.08

Colbert
Monday - Mindy Kaling, Senator Chris Murphy
Tuesday - Ben Stiller, D’Arcy Carden
Wednesday - Kieran Culkin, Run the Jewels
Thursday - White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre, Tatiana Maslany

Corden
Reruns

Kimmel
Monday - Guest Host Rob McElhenney; Kumail Nanjiani, Charlotte Nicdao, Trombone Shorty
Tuesday - Guest Host Rob McElhenney; Ryan Reynolds, Kaitlin Olson, Tones and I
Wednesday - Guest Host David Alan Grier; Jamie Foxx, Abbi Jacobson, Soccer Mommy
Thursday - Guest Host David Alan Grier; Ashton Kutcher, Amandla Stenberg, Jessie Reyez

Fallon
Monday - Idris Elba, Aubrey Plaza, Sofia Carson, Lauren Spencer-Smith
Tuesday - Kate McKinnon, Lili Reinhart, Maitreyi Ramakrishnan, Jon Pardi
Wednesday - Madonna, Elvis Costello, Rusty
Thursday - with "co-host" Megan Thee Stallion, Natalia Dyer
Friday - Rerun

Seth
Reruns

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

pwn posted:

I strongly suspect that he's going to leave sooner than later. He's a Grammy-winner now, he doesn't need them anymore. He's taking the Summer to promote his album. I'm obviously upset but tbh the writing has been on the wall. His band had become low-effort over the home shows period; The 8G and Reggie Watts's LLS bands were doing fresh music every show, and the Cletones were doing some new music frequently (though not every show,) Stay Human had the same small collection of cues used for the whole period, rarely cycling in new material (it's worth noting that NBC just used pre-pandemic recordings of the Roots for Fallon's home shows, with some fresh bits... but Fallon was one of the first to return to a studio sans audience, and the Roots returned with him.) When Colbert and Stay Human both returned to the Ed Sullivan Theater, Batiste began with the trend of playing the same couple of cues over an episode. I suppose this could have been a creative decision, though I think it's not a great one, what does it matter what I think. Hopefully I'm wrong and he stays.

Louis Cato is a lot better about mixing it up throughout the show (though for a while he was really using Vertical Horizon's "Everything You Want" to the point of absurdity.) When Batiste first returned after a month or whatever of Cato I thought maybe he'd follow that tone but no, he went right back to the same 1-2 themes in a night. He also seemed less enthusiastic about it. It's hard to criticize this (a white guy demanding a black performer to be more enthusiastic isn't, erm, a good look,) these have just been my observations.

Oh man, I think I must've heard them playing "Everything You Want" without it fully registering that I knew (and liked, at least back in like 1999) it. I completely agree that the music as a whole has gotten aurally super boring despite all the talk of how amazing the band is. I always roll my eyes at that, and I guess these residencies are a good kick in the pants for the band to play something new, but yeah, I just never got the fawning when there was a sense of it being phoned in. It's kinda weird that I went from being shocked and pleasantly surprised that they were playing Zelda and FF7 music when throwing to commercials to it just being... noise.

To be clear, I think Jon's earned his chance to bask in his success. I'm sure it doesn't help that he's basically a kid. I'm sure all of this feels amazing, and I wish him continued success, but I share that same sense that he's on his way out despite being in the intro. It was kinda cool seeing him very slowly lose a little of the awkwardness when he first started and find a dynamic that worked with Colbert, but... well, things change. So be it.

pwn posted:

Hope you enjoyed the two shows we got last week, because he's off all this week :haw: Can't find a reason, perhaps it was planned time off? Kinda doubt it.

The sad thing is I DID really enjoy them, and was looking forward to more. Alas, I'll have to subsist on Corrections to get my fix. Do they record those when they're on hiatuses? Either way, I think I'm in the market for a new mug.

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Aug 16, 2022

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I agree with the vague sense that Batiste may be on his way out, though I do question whether it's really the best career move for him. I'm not an expert on the economics of it all, but I would think having a guaranteed spot on a nightly show is a pretty good gig, whereas an actual music career is way less certain. Couple that with the fact that I'm not really sure what his audience is. The Grammys love him, but what about real people? I like the guy but let's be honest, that Album Of The Year win was pretty strange. Who actually listened to it?

On the other hand, great art usually isn't the most economically sound idea at first, so I would never say never. If this totally hypothetical thing does happen.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Does hbomax exploding mean Conan new show is at risk

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Yes

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Does hbomax exploding mean Conan new show is at risk

lol if you ever thought there was another show

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I hope they at least do some travel shows; those seem like they’d be a fit with Discovery.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Vegetable posted:

I hope they at least do some travel shows; those seem like they’d be a fit with Discovery.

when conan first came to tbs he did those serious jibber-jabber episodes bc he really wanted to do longer form interviews and not play to a studio audience

i think the podcasts p much fulfill that and hes gonna just focus on those with occasional specials. not saying i wouldnt love a new conan show, just think hes comfortable where hes at

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I only really watch closer look on Seth's show and drat, these late-night shows take a lot of breaks

pwn
May 27, 2004

runaway dog posted:

I only really watch closer look on Seth's show and drat, these late-night shows take a lot of breaks

Eh, Seth's show is 41 minutes without commercials, on par with the other late night shows, and NBC's prime time hour shows. It's that the show is usually front-loaded with a looong act 1 that necessitates having a couple breaks ganged together at the end.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I think they mean 1-4 week breaks

pwn
May 27, 2004

I think they mean 1-4 week breaks

Oh

It's Summer!

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
https://pitchfork.com/news/jon-batiste-exits-late-show-with-stephen-colbert-as-bandleader-after-7-seasons/

Well whomever called it was right. Unsurprising really I am surprised he stuck around as long as he did frankly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

On one hand, lame that he didn't even come back for the announcement. On the other, at least we're spared the "this has been the hardest decision of my life" schtick.

Anyway, all hail our Louis Catoverlord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCzMaHHcEoE