Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

tsushimachat:

yeah i felt the same way re: the story.

one thing i really liked was that the story was so completely on rails. like, i have criticisms for what the story _was_ but I was really glad not to have to janitor relationships or make sure to keep people alive (beyond full-on failure conditions, which was fine) or make Hard Decisions About Honor every twenty minutes. Having the narrative 100% divorced from the gameplay meant that I was pretty happy to sometimes be an honorable samurai-man doing standoffs and playing yojimbo, and sometimes happy to shank fuckers from the grass, and was always able to switch as soon as I got bored one way or the other.

it was really nice that I never felt like the game compelled me to do something that I wasn't enjoying so that I could get the narrative outcome I wanted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I felt like the game was pretty strongly telling me to fight with HONOR! Which put me as a (admittedly broke-brained) player in the same No-Fun position as trying to do the opening few missions of GTAIV by trying to honor Niko's dream of going straight this time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
it's also nice ludonarrative harmony that the dishonorable tactics are significantly easier than the honorable tactics. you can be an upright samurai warrior guided by bushido like your uncle is telling you to, and get your rear end kicked a lot, or you can be a sneaky underhanded ninja backstabber like all the other characters are telling you to, and actually get poo poo done on the first try. you do make decisions about honor, the game just doesn't make a big deal about it, and the fact that you're doing it is written into the story

challenging a dozen motherfuckers to a duel and winning is still totally badass though

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

haveblue posted:

it's also nice ludonarrative harmony that the dishonorable tactics are significantly easier than the honorable tactics. you can be an upright samurai warrior guided by bushido like your uncle is telling you to, and get your rear end kicked a lot, or you can be a sneaky underhanded ninja backstabber like all the other characters are telling you to, and actually get poo poo done on the first try. you do make decisions about honor, the game just doesn't make a big deal about it, and the fact that you're doing it is written into the story

challenging a dozen motherfuckers to a duel and winning is still totally badass though

If you follow the story, even if you try to be honorable, you commit fairly serious war crimes.

Like... we're talking about going from "underhanded guerrilla tactics against a superior invading force" on the dishonorable side of things, straight to genocide. It's jarring even if you're playing in a "ninja assassin" sort of way.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

MrQueasy posted:

straight to genocide

loving goons never change

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/stablediff/status/1556646851675394048

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

there wasnt any genocide in tsushima. there were definite war crimes, but the people you warcrimed were military invaders (the mongols bring zero civilians/support with them almost certainly to avoid this issue), and you were targeting them for being invaders, not because they're mongols

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The story starts with you watching your dad get murdered by villagers who's island he's massacring. >_>

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Talking about war crimes the samurai slasher video game ftw.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
doesn't your dad get murdered by the mongol invaders? or is this some pre-story prologue I've forgotten about

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 9, 2022

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Super Punch Out has a secret mode where two people can play against each other.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdVWQpeSupo

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
really thought ghosts of tsushima was about picking rice all day and living the honorable peaceful life of a farmer, i am distraught that it is actually about killing people over and over again

I have been sucker punched

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

jins dad gets killed in battle when jin was a kid, later it turns out what he was doing at the time was fighting rebels on an island that you do as dlc or something (i think 'jins dad was on iki island' came later, before that it was 'generically died in battle' im pretty sure). i havent done the dlc; idk if your dad is supposed to be massacring innocent villagers but i somehow doubt it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m
gutted I can’t play it

someone said it was assassins creed japan

gently caress I love me some rear end creed. when it’s good it’s so good. origins owned and odyssey was good until I ran thin

valhalla was too long and drawn out but the landscapes were incredible and the fighting was real good

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Achmed Jones posted:

jins dad gets killed in battle when jin was a kid, later it turns out what he was doing at the time was fighting rebels on an island that you do as dlc or something (i think 'jins dad was on iki island' came later, before that it was 'generically died in battle' im pretty sure). i havent done the dlc; idk if your dad is supposed to be massacring innocent villagers but i somehow doubt it

Your dad is sent to pacify the island. What does that usually entail?

Maybe I am misremembering the DLC vs the actual story but I remember it being alluded to several times.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
that's basically what it is, yeah. you're turned loose in a large chunk of feudal japan and given a map full of icons. each icon is something you can do by either stealthing around or challenging it to a duel and getting mobbed by mongols. do enough of them and you get a mission that advances the overall plot and sometimes unlocks additional chunks of feudal japan and more map icons

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the best thing about asscreed valhalla was ninja sniping a whole fort then calling your longboat in to “pillage” with almost no opposition

nothing will beat strategically placed plague corpses in origins, though. you could take out 50 guys by just waiting

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The 1 on 1 duels are some of the best content in that game, wish there were more of them. One of the most beautiful ones was the one in the garden.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

the best thing about asscreed valhalla was ninja sniping a whole fort then calling your longboat in to “pillage” with almost no opposition

nothing will beat strategically placed plague corpses in origins, though. you could take out 50 guys by just waiting

oh those dudes you poisoned? yeah my fave

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The 1 on 1 duels are some of the best content in that game, wish there were more of them. One of the most beautiful ones was the one in the garden.

:yeah:

i didnt even enjoy the fighting all that much, but they were awesome just for the backgrounds and stuff. i say that i really want a game like this but with no combat. but idk what would go in place of the combat for something like this - i guess it could be a survival sim sorta thing. only thing i can really think of is a puzzle game or photography game, and i dont think the technology is really there to do a really good photography game

idk i like walkin around waterfalls and forests and petting foxes i guess

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Man i could not get into rear end origins, just excessively brown, splattered all over the landscape

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i really liked origins, weirdly for a desert setting i thought it was way more interesting than odyssey. once you’ve seen one pretty greek island you’ve seen em all, but origins had proper desert, semi-arid bits, lush delta plains. drat i like that game world a lot

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

I knew he was a Quake Master, but it's good to see that he kept up with the professional gaming scene

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

he also had his own thps spinoff iirc

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Stephen Hawking Pro Scientist

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Stephen Hawking Pro Scientist

oh man i loved that game

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i wasn't great at it but you could get pretty far just spamming the 'research' and 'publish' buttons

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Pick it up, pick it up, pick it up, pick it up

So here I am
Doing everything I can
Holding on to what I am
Pretending I'm a science man

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Crow posted:

Man i could not get into rear end origins, just excessively brown, splattered all over the landscape

what the heck? origins has one of the most varied and interesting environments of any outside game

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i wanted to like assbro multiplayer, but the grind + being able to matchmake with max level players with everything unlocked made it a bit frustrating

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/CommodoreBlog/status/1557081277102264325?s=20&t=a7t0fOTkGWCyljjW57byog

Soldering all those boards by hand :o:

Full video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JJywbVZvCI

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad

Paid more than I probably should have for the SNES colorscheme model, but drat if it doesn't look gorgeous. Can definitely recommend the SN30 Pro if anyone's looking for a decent portable PC/Mobile/Switch controller, it actually feels really nice to use and it's become the go to for me whenever I need a pad for a game. Now to hunt down the SF30 model at some point heh.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Does it have R1/R2 and L1/L2?

I'm thinking of getting something other than an xbox controller for emulator stuff and that looks promising

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Yeah, not analog triggers unfortunately though so bad for racing games. Also has rumble and motion control, though I haven't figured out getting motion control on PC working yet, handy for Breath of the Wild and the like though. The Pro 2 has handles and analog triggers and macro mapping support, but it's also first party controller price so that's a consideration to make.

InternetOfTwinks fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 10, 2022

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

echinopsis posted:

what the heck? origins has one of the most varied and interesting environments of any outside game

yeah but if you don't get out of bayek country you never learn this :eng99:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The frustrating thing about the 8bitdo controllers is they have a wide variety of features but not all of the features are accessible in any one emulation mode -- the gyro isn't available in the Xbox emulation, the analog triggers are purely binary in the Switch emulation, the Android mode (normal USB HID DirectInput) limits basically everything and I've never gotten the macOS mode (some kind of half-assed DualShock 4 emulation) to work at all

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 10, 2022

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

yeah but if you don't get out of bayek country you never learn this :eng99:

the first time I played I didn’t get out of the tomb and didn’t come back for a while

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Paid more than I probably should have for the SNES colorscheme model, but drat if it doesn't look gorgeous. Can definitely recommend the SN30 Pro if anyone's looking for a decent portable PC/Mobile/Switch controller, it actually feels really nice to use and it's become the go to for me whenever I need a pad for a game. Now to hunt down the SF30 model at some point heh.

yo the slight extension of the dpad and button circles to accommodate the twin sticks makes that controller look stacked

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
even i own an sn30 pro. its very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I finished Forbidden West, and I enjoyed it a lot. It made a lot of improvements over the first game, and most importantly the boss fights were way better than the first game. I toned it down to easy for the majority of the game, and then story for the final boss fight. Don't know if it was because I didn't understand the combat mechanics but I kept on getting owned. Lol

The 3rd game sounds like it will have a cool story.