Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

EbolaIvory posted:

If I had money to burn, I'd probably pick up the index wireless thing

I’m sorry the what now??

I have money to burn, but I’ve been out of the loop. The what?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Bad Munki posted:

I’m sorry the what now??

I have money to burn, but I’ve been out of the loop. The what?!

I think someone linked it a few pages ago but theres a sorta preorder thing going and a buddy lives in aussie land where the things being made I guess.

He says "sold". We were both huge vive wireless adapter fans too. And he says its as good latency wise.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A curious rhythm game coming to AppLab
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfhtIoJUPN4

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-08KCheaGg

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 10, 2022

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

So basically its the notes and walls from Powerbeats VR/Viro Move but being thrown by bad guys.

Ok then.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
beats of the dead

RE: that HL2, I might try it out but honestly I'm not sure HL2 holds up that well.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bhodi posted:

beats of the dead

RE: that HL2, I might try it out but honestly I'm not sure HL2 holds up that well.

:catstare:

:mods:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Quest 2 saga update: Best Buy sent me a third unmarked refurb (in a loving row, making it three for three).

I told support that we've been through this twice already now so just send me to a supervisor, and they said one will call me back in two hours.

:negative:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Unsinkabear posted:

Quest 2 saga update: Best Buy sent me a third unmarked refurb (in a loving row, making it three for three).

I told support that we've been through this twice already now so just send me to a supervisor, and they said one will call me back in two hours.

:negative:

If it makes you feel better, it was probably the same exact one three times

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I ordered mine from best buy and I don't think I got a refurb. At least it had the stickers on the lenses. But maybe I did, who knows, I'm not that observant.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

He should mark it somehow and see what happens with the 4th one!

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

Lol, it actually wasn't, the giveaway damage was in a different place each time! Such a fun game to have to look for.

This last one was subtle enough that I might have missed it if they hadn't put me on high alert via the first two. Number two was extremely obvious, like they didn't even try to correct the problem. The area around that USB port looked like the front door keyhole area of someone who comes home drunk every night.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Agent355 posted:

I ordered mine from best buy and I don't think I got a refurb. At least it had the stickers on the lenses. But maybe I did, who knows, I'm not that observant.

I didn't get far enough on the first one to find the lens stickers, but the last two did have them. It looks like they always replace the foam and lenses.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What's so controversial about that?

HL2 was a great game, but I feel like it's replay value is pretty weak. Gameplay/mechanics/encounter-ise, it's super straightforward by modern standards, while also lacking the more creative/fun weapon and enemy sets of some of the shooters that came before it.

Ravenholm is cool though. I'd probably be tempted to replay that.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

HL2 is going to have the Aliens problem. Which is to say that it set so many standards that were copied after it's release that it feels really basic and boilerplate now.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Maybe I’m wrong but I get the distinct impression you can’t two hand weapons in this.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Who knows, I wonder if it gives you two VR hands or just one? I think the trailer just shows one, but that doesn’t mean anything really

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Who knows, I wonder if it gives you two VR hands or just one? I think the trailer just shows one, but that doesn’t mean anything really

There’s definitely two hands present as you can see them rest one on a wall as they shoot around the corner.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Unsinkabear posted:

Lol, it actually wasn't, the giveaway damage was in a different place each time! Such a fun game to have to look for.

This last one was subtle enough that I might have missed it if they hadn't put me on high alert via the first two. Number two was extremely obvious, like they didn't even try to correct the problem. The area around that USB port looked like the front door keyhole area of someone who comes home drunk every night.

What was the issue with the third one?

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

Lemming posted:

I guess it was naive to release the locomotion as open source, I hoped that people would use it as a basis for making games but with good locomotion, but it just turned into a bunch of trash clones. Oh well.

This is very interesting, when the clone article was posted I almost unlurked to muse on whether the clones were just using name recognition to shovel unrelated software or trying to replicate the game proper, but this answers all of my questions and creates a few more that will only be solved by shovelling the dust off the Q2 and jumping in.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Harminoff posted:

What was the issue with the third one?

Same as the first, basically. Minor marks and scuffs all around the casing that couldn't be explained by shipping in that packaging. Fabric worn away on the edges of the side piece. One tiny dent in the plastic on top. The kinds of little dings and marks in the finish that only happen with light use over time. It's in decent condition for a refurb or open box deal, but it's not the new item that I ordered, have specifically requested as a replacement twice now, and paid an extra $50 for vs the refurb listing (which I would have picked if I wanted this). I'm honestly less concerned about the scuffing and wear than I am with the fact that it's a stealth refurb at all. I don't know what caused it to be returned in the first place, and I don't trust Meta or Best Buy to thoroughly and ethically handle returns/refurbishment, especially when they aren't even labeling the items as such.

Also...

Unsinkabear posted:

They never loving called me. :argh:

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 11, 2022

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Unsinkabear posted:

They never loving called me. :argh:

Time to riot!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Wheezle posted:

Maybe I’m wrong but I get the distinct impression you can’t two hand weapons in this.

You couldn't two-hand weapons in Alyx and I didn't mind at all, but they designed all of them including the shotgun to be pistol-grip.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I know not everyone agrees but IMO fake two-handing a nonexistent weapon by holding empty air is the stupidest loving thing. Alyx did the right move making the guns all one-handed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Eyes Have It posted:

I know not everyone agrees but IMO fake two-handing a nonexistent weapon by holding empty air is the stupidest loving thing. Alyx did the right move making the guns all one-handed.

Try it with a game that does it really well like Pavlov or H3VR. It makes fine-tuning long-ranged shots MUCH easier.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I liked the way Stormland did it.
Man, that game is easily the best VR action game I've played. It's a shame it's got such terrible performance.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I've never heard of this stealth game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEd505_K_cE

It's still early on development, but looks promising.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

I've never heard of this stealth game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEd505_K_cE

It's still early on development, but looks promising.

It looks interesting, but that grappling hook sound effect got really old just within the span of that video, let alone the thought of spending a whole game with it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Try it with a game that does it really well like Pavlov or H3VR. It makes fine-tuning long-ranged shots MUCH easier.

Even with those you've still got the issue that there's just nothing to brace against, so you're really shaky and easily lose your sight picture when you do anything beyond pulling the trigger. Though when I did get one of those physical controller holding stocks it made them play much more intuitively.

Also speaking of H3VR, I've been playing a fair bunch of that recently, and it's pretty funny how it instills a real appreciation for the ergonomics of certain guns. Stuff like automatically locking open on an empty magazine, drop-free mags, or even just decent ironsights all comes in surpisingly handy. On the flip side I've been killed plenty of time trying to finangle a stripper clip or even individual bullets into some horrible 19th century antique :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Perestroika posted:

Even with those you've still got the issue that there's just nothing to brace against, so you're really shaky and easily lose your sight picture when you do anything beyond pulling the trigger. Though when I did get one of those physical controller holding stocks it made them play much more intuitively.

Not so, at least with H3VR. Anton's improved the virtual stock system in recent months, especially for sniping, and it's much steadier now.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Related, but I haven't used a two handed gun in any VR game. But I've definitely noticed in HL:A that my aim is very wiggly.

Now alot of this is that I'm just not that steady handed anyway, but the physical weight of a firearm does make the wiggly somewhat lessened. I can do target shooting just fine in real life but doing anything other than very carefully and deliberately aiming in HL:A is p hard.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Roadie posted:

It looks interesting, but that grappling hook sound effect got really old just within the span of that video, let alone the thought of spending a whole game with it.

Maybe you can mod in the Zelda hookshot sound

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Hey quick dev tip: when another studio is supposed to be responsible for providing sounds for your builds but is dragging their feet, record yourself saying "sample" and use that.

Nothing gets a gun sound provided faster than giving a milestone build with "samplesamplesamplesample" every time you pull the trigger :haw:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Roadie posted:

Like the video says, it's a prototype, their twitter also implies they have lots of placeholder stuff, so I wouldn't put a lot of attention on some specific sounds at this stage.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Lynx headsets are pretty close to having the first units roll out of the factory. I'm interested in seeing how that turns out.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
Anyone have recs for a headset stand for the Index?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Zet posted:

https://www.michaels.com/floracraft-smoothfom-male-head-white/10477859.html

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’ve thought about those foam heads but you’d need a really gnarly base to go with them.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Zet posted:

I got a wall mount thing which is great for reclaiming your desk space:
https://a.co/d/hNZRTGE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Nuts and Gum posted:

I got a wall mount thing which is great for reclaiming your desk space:
https://a.co/d/hNZRTGE

I have 3 dollar hook things from menards that when I do hang a headset, I use those. They come in multiple colors, come with a screw, and hold every headset ive owned well. They also can be "bent" a little if you have a bunch of mods n poo poo on your headset. Like when I had my vive pro setup with wireless the battery mount on it for example. They are also what I use to hang the 90 controllers I have laying around. I like em.

https://www.menards.com/main/storag...4241067&ipos=24