Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
Looking at some armor augment results they look definitely not entirely random. My guess it's something like this:
You get a number of points, depending on rarity - rarity 8 gets 30, rarity 9 gets 15
+1 of defense or resistance costs 1
+1 slot costs 10
+skill costs 10 for skills on basic list - that's your element attack, element and status resists and whatever else, usually matching size 1 deco
skill costs more for rarer skills; wait for datamining I guess - Chain Crit and Heroics are definitely worth more
removing skills armor had refunds same points.

Skills you'll get are rolled randomly and then the result is adjusted to the right points total by adding/removing defense and resists. If you rolled a rare skill one or more of armour's skills get taken for balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Galaga Galaxian posted:

If you're gonna go that far just cheat edit a talisman and be done with it. Save yourself the time.

Nah the randomness is the fun part of it. Same as with the qurio hunt. There isn't a specific talisman I want or have in mind. I throw poo poo at the melding machine and see what it comes up with for me.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Augus posted:

Sick, how high level are we talking here?

Level 50+ investigations

Incidentally for people trying to unlock A5 anomalies, it works like gathering temepered tracks in world, you have to be at 50 or higher and you need to be fighting monsters in the same pool to get them to drop, so stuff from A4

Pyromancer posted:

Looking at some armor augment results they look definitely not entirely random. My guess it's something like this:
You get a number of points, depending on rarity - rarity 8 gets 30, rarity 9 gets 15
+1 of defense or resistance costs 1
+1 slot costs 10
+skill costs 10 for skills on basic list - that's your element attack, element and status resists and whatever else, usually matching size 1 deco
skill costs more for rarer skills; wait for datamining I guess - Chain Crit and Heroics are definitely worth more
removing skills armor had refunds same points.

Skills you'll get are rolled randomly and then the result is adjusted to the right points total by adding/removing defense and resists. If you rolled a rare skill one or more of armour's skills get taken for balance.

You probably have a chance at a lucky roll that gives you more points, I've got a malzeno helm that gained coalescence but lost wex and a set of diablos bracers that got chain crit for free

Wellwinds fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 10, 2022

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Dabir posted:

So where do you unlock Spinning Bludgeon: Charge? And what are its downsides over the regular?

I believe it's out of the box when you get to master rank.

The downsides is fewer hits in your spin, which only matters if you use spinning bludgeon to help stack in more element damage.

Honestly, it's great, learn how to use it and try it and see if you like it. I'm still bouncing between it and the regular and playing with what gets me the biggest Numbers on downs

(Had a big bang combo do as much damage as an impact crater. Hammer is in such a good spot right now)

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Zombeef posted:

I assume that, just like save scumming charm melding, you have to force your rng seed to change. Meaning you need to do a quest and save. Most people doing charm scumming just load up the rajang arena quest and die because it's much faster than most options.

Given people are saying it's patched there's likely some other way to force your seed to update. Otherwise we're basically 3u char tables all over again

Think we are back to tables. No one has found a way to reset your seed. Not sure if its one big table or different ones.

Base Rise was the same but they eventually patched it when people started getting stuck in loops.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Wellwinds posted:

Level 50+ investigations

Incidentally for people trying to unlock A5 anomalies, it works like gathering temepered tracks in world, you have to be at 50 or higher and you need to be fighting monsters in the same pool to get them to drop, so stuff from A4

Seems pretty stupid to make new monster quests RNG if you ask me

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Wellwinds posted:

Level 50+ investigations

Oh god they brought back the most annoying part of investigations in World.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Neo_Crimson posted:

Oh god they brought back the most annoying part of investigations in World.

At least with investigations, you could still just fight the monster normally in a quest without the extra reward drops

Seems like here it's RNG if you get to fight the monster at all

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Think we are back to tables. No one has found a way to reset your seed. Not sure if its one big table or different ones.

Base Rise was the same but they eventually patched it when people started getting stuck in loops.

Why is it so hard for them to replace their hacked together bullshit with a known good RNG library

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
On the plus side, once you unlock one you'll get the rest really fast, just unlocked seven of them off of one quest

Also anomaly zinogre is ridiculous once he gets powered up, shredded me with maxed birds

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Nah the randomness is the fun part of it. Same as with the qurio hunt. There isn't a specific talisman I want or have in mind. I throw poo poo at the melding machine and see what it comes up with for me.

And that’s fine, and what I’m doing. But if you (the generic you, not you) are gonna save scum the process just edit a talisman lol

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
If they can just avoid screwing things up to the extent of MH3U’s cursed tables, I doubt there will be any issue - charms are much more interchangeable now with decorations and the death of the point threshold system.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
the issue with mh3u charm tables were that due to a programming error they never rotated and so you were stuck with whatever table you landed on when starting a new game. this is not the same thing.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

editing talismans doesn't feel super guilty since I feel like the grind of weapon/armor mats is plenty to do and difficult enough and it's annoying RNG. also, the perfect talisman is giving what, 10% more damage and maybe fitting in something QoL, like stun resistance or speed eating? which does not seem game breaking when anomalies have tons of HP and some QoL skills lower my frustrations greatly

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I don’t blame anyone for editing a talisman lol, it’s not a competitive game, enjoy it as you wish. I just don’t see why anyone would take the time wasting half measure of savescumming it.

I guess it’s hard to cheat on switch, but if you wanted to “cheat” you should get the pc version lol. So many good mods.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah savescumming would be for switch hunters, I can't imagine there's many people out there with that inclination who wouldnt just edit in a talisman.

Maybe they genuinely enjoy the savescumming process??? There's lots of people out there. You never know.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Farg posted:

I'm a big proponent of just cheating yourself a solid wex talisman and not being a slave to the charm grind

Being a slave to the grind is what the whole dang game is about. You slowly transform into a speedrunner

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
I think you overestimate how many people know how to do save editing in the first place, that and they're probably worried about screwing up their game by trying

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Figuring out exactly how REFramework works is a little annoying at first but when you're there it's pretty simple to get going.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
That was an exhilarating few hours of gameplay

See you again next title update

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Is there a way to get afflicted dragon blood yet or is that next update

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Is there a way to get afflicted dragon blood yet or is that next update

Leveled up versions of the previous anomaly monsters now drop upgraded materials; dragon blood comes from high level stuff that dropped afflicted blood so like tetranadon and khezu

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Somehow I managed to get every higher tier of affliicted item besides that, thanks

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If I do higher level afflicted investigations can I get higher versions of anything Ive already unlocked? Or will I have to slay Tetranadon 100 times to see how strong this bastard can get. Love the guy, wanna see him at his finest.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Wellwinds posted:

Assume you mean at Anomaly level 50 or higher to unlock A5s, not MR?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Really wish there were more options for the gunlance. I know damage isn't everything but it sucks that something like the rathian GL decreases in shell level when upgrading it and there's very few shell 8 GLs. Still maybe my favorite weapon and perfectly useable, just expected a little better from the bazel set at least.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

In Training posted:

If I do higher level afflicted investigations can I get higher versions of anything Ive already unlocked? Or will I have to slay Tetranadon 100 times to see how strong this bastard can get. Love the guy, wanna see him at his finest.

It’s the first thing, no need to fight Tetranadon 100 times even though I totally would

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

In Training posted:

After every hunt it shows you what investigations you unlocked. I’ve gotten like 5-6 at a time. It depends on how many parts you break and how well you do in the hunt, I think.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Mr E posted:

Really wish there were more options for the gunlance. I know damage isn't everything but it sucks that something like the rathian GL decreases in shell level when upgrading it and there's very few shell 8 GLs. Still maybe my favorite weapon and perfectly useable, just expected a little better from the bazel set at least.

What are all the level 8s anyways?

Long: Canyne
Wide:abyssal and cornpopper
Normal: french whatever (kadaki lance)

Are there more?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Farg posted:

I'm a big proponent of just cheating yourself a solid wex talisman and not being a slave to the charm grind

Yep. I just cheated myself the best possible legal talisman and a full set of the current dereliction hunting horn meta armor at the beginning of village and never looked back. Ain’t no one have time for actually grinding that poo poo lmao.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Are there more?

Rathian rank 10 is also lvl 8 Normal.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Are there more?

OG Rathian, crablance, and Iron tree are also normal 8

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Sneak attack works with shelling so that's something at least

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Yep. I just cheated myself the best possible legal talisman and a full set of the current dereliction hunting horn meta armor at the beginning of village and never looked back. Ain’t no one have time for actually grinding that poo poo lmao.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRWMGjXuyVo

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

After every hunt it shows you what investigations you unlocked. I’ve gotten like 5-6 at a time. It depends on how many parts you break and how well you do in the hunt, I think.

Gathering qurio-afflicted things also can give you clues for a new investigation.

The system is pretty fun IMO; I've had a lot of success just joining up on join requests for what Bahari wants me to hunt.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Homeless Friend posted:

Being a slave to the grind is what the whole dang game is about. You slowly transform into a speedrunner

I agree for all things except charm grinding - between the system being obtuse, random, and sometimes even straight up non-functional, it's not really engaging or rewarding to have to deal with it.

"If you break the toe, you probably get a chunk of toe" is a simple and satisfying grind. "[however the gently caress charm grind currently works]" is not.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'd be more mad about the state of GL in the update but I really love the Pyre Rakna one and am fine to continue using it. Its cool sneak attack works but uh the armor seems pretty bad for GL otherwise so I imagine builds using it are going to be really stretched

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Has anyone else on switch encountered occasional hitching ever since the update, especially in the hub

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

I'd be more mad about the state of GL in the update but I really love the Pyre Rakna one and am fine to continue using it. Its cool sneak attack works but uh the armor seems pretty bad for GL otherwise so I imagine builds using it are going to be really stretched

I like the canyne one fine so I'm not super mad either, I still think this is the best GL has felt and played like in ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Has anyone else on switch encountered occasional hitching ever since the update, especially in the hub

Not in the hub but some areas of the citadel tank the frame rate if you get the camera caught in the foliage

Edit: wait do you mean the gathering hub back in komura? I never go there, komura is full of weird losers. Elgado runs fine for me.