Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
gently caress.

https://consequence.net/2022/05/netflix-ceo-defends-ricky-gervais/?fbclid=IwAR3jSJDsuyuJvodQBLV-7sV6LJ3DPYqziMEKVh6GXoVFLGw2Fw96u4O2bJ0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

quote:

"Nobody would say that what he does isn't thoughtful or smart. You just don't agree with him."

Well actually,

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

This isn't defending Gervais, this is defending the decision to publish and support transphobic comedy. Sarandos is just using Gervais as a PR shield.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The full quote is even funnier.

quote:

“I think it’s very important to the American culture generally to have free expression,” he said. “We’re programming for a lot of diverse people who have different opinions and different tastes and different styles, and yet we’re not making everything for everybody. We want something for everybody but everything’s not going to be for everybody… Nobody would say that what he does isn’t thoughtful or smart. You just don’t agree with him.”

Like, this is just such a lie. Let's not even go into the extreme things like 'oh so would you let me make a holocaust denial 'documentary' under the Netflix brand, you know, for people of that viewpoint', just imagine someone making a super hardcore right wing culture war movie about anything other than trans people for Netflix. Just pick any given Prager U 'actually slavery was good' or Ben Shapiro 'the democrats want to make you communist to kill straight relationships' thing and imagine the reality where Netflix would proudly create that and advertise and defend it.

It's just such a loving farce even by right wing standards because this is so clearly just 'we know trans people are an acceptable victim to pick and want the reactionary views'. Absolute cowardly pigs.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Bo Burnham released 1 hour of outakes from Inside

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XWEVoI40sE

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Cael posted:

We don't have to talk about Gervais anymore, because Norm's last special just dropped on Netflix today and that's all anyone should be posting about. I'm barely into it, but the flight attendant bit had me doubled over.

His bit on eating co-pilot wouldn't have worked with anyone else but by God he made it hilarious.

I wish Adam Eget had been on the aftershow.

Arbite fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 1, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Watching that new Gervais is like scrolling through Reddit, jesus it's tedious.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Bo released the Inside outtakes and an extended album.

On that subject, there’s a podcast called Dissect that analyzes whole albums, so far artists from Lauren Hill to Childish Gambino, but he’s currently doing a series on Inside and it’s fascinating. I highly recommend it for the analytical comedy geeks. One tidbit I hadn’t realized is the simplified chord progression played as the into to Problematic, where Bo is revealed to be watching his first YouTube video, are the chords from that video’s song, “My Whole Family.”

e. This deluxe Inside album really fills the gaps that make the special much richer than the 20 song album. The example I gave is the track "Looking Back" and oh no I'm going to listen to Inside day-in-day-out for another full year of my life aren't I

superjew fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 3, 2022

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Yeah the deluxe album is really really solid

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Finally watched the Norm Posthumous Special and pretty disappointed to realize I’d seen almost all of it from when I caught a leaked Las Vegas set from last year. A few chuckles, but mostly just reminiscing about the decades of sidesplitting, gut busting yucks. We’ll never see his like again, no one will ever be funnier.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Why are comedians so stupid about identifying the best versions of their bits? They're pathologically averse to admitting that each performance has superior and inferior deliveries for each joke, and culture is all about packaging all-hitter-no-filler moments. No kid in 2022 watches a full set for any comic at all, and anyone hooked into that is a decaying Boomer. "Dave Chapelle's latest Trans-joke is hilarious!" "I don't know, whatever. Ok uncle Lowtax, please shut up while I reinvent comedy in your bloated shadow"

The only comedians surviving to 2022 (who didn't lock down a Gaffigan deal) are irrelevant. Godspeed in your future appearances on Danny Lobell's podcast Grampas, God knows there's no place for you here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXbywvhIcQU

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Analytic Engine posted:

No kid in 2022 watches a full set for any comic at all, and anyone hooked into that is a decaying Boomer.

You’re totally right. Last comedian I went and saw do standup, every other joke someone stood up and announced “THAT ONE SUCKED” and left the room until there was nobody left by the end.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Cael posted:

You’re totally right. Last comedian I went and saw do standup, every other joke someone stood up and announced “THAT ONE SUCKED” and left the room until there was nobody left by the end.

Yep, my confusing drunken rant was predicting an inevitably empty house for all (!!!!) performers

On reflection, I prefer comedians who can deliver for minutes without walking the room. People who give it straight, like pear cider made from 100% pears

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkrPwPOTQ0w

(edit: much better set now)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzUooSwSTEE

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 4, 2022

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cael posted:

this would be incredibly funny

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

New Stavvy spesh is good, and free

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNpkhX85yf0

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

hell yeah dude

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

the video from Kyle Kinane's 2020 special is up on youtube now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIBg8L2yxJA

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

This is Paul F Tompkins' best set and a good argument for why he "is the greatest standup of all time" as he puts it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXbywvhIcQU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, I dig Paul (especially his improv podcast characters). My comedy favs are Brody Stevens and Neil Hamburger I'd say. And everything Tom Green does is funny.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

my mistake, "The best comedian in the world"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
PFT is absolutely delightful and extremely talented in the booth

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Tom Green moved back to his hometown (well, a rural area well outside of Ottawa) and is working on a new hour / special. Performs with his dog on stage, too.

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Aug 11, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Tom Green is a very mediocre stand up but has lived one of the all time craziest lives in human history and basically pioneered/discovered a new type of comedy media, he has nothing left to prove. Literally burning millions and millions of corporate hollywood bucks while being married to Drew Barrymore and getting drunk with Dennis Rodman. Absolute Legend

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I saw him live a couple years ago, and got riffed on myself in the audience, by the TG himself! What a hero.

Also all of his on and off again podcasts and video shows over the years. Plus so much great Neil Hamburger stuff with him, Poolside Chats especially. That's some of my fav stuff.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Anyone who likes Tom Green should watch “LOL: Canada”, one of the many country specific offshoots of the Japanese show Documental where it’s comedians trying to make each other laugh for prize money. The Canada season has an amazing cast, Tom Green is a god on it.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Cael posted:

Anyone who likes Tom Green should watch “LOL: Canada”, one of the many country specific offshoots of the Japanese show Documental where it’s comedians trying to make each other laugh for prize money. The Canada season has an amazing cast, Tom Green is a god on it.

This show was probably my favorite random surprise I watched this year. I watched some interview with Jay Baruchel where he mentioned it so we binge watched it and I've been yelling at everyone to watch it since.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yeah but what about those cheese sandwiches?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Unless I'm completely brain farting, PFT is easily the top of my "Want to see live but never have" list. Not even close.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Tony Phillips posted:

Unless I'm completely brain farting, PFT is easily the top of my "Want to see live but never have" list. Not even close.

He's a consummate entertainer. Fans know he can ramble for an hour amazingly well, but he still books a variety of acts and guests for his big shows. We saw the foley artist murderer sketch from the Tompkast with Jon Hodgman

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Tom Green used to tape his cable access show down the street from my middle school, where I became a fan. Followed him to his CBC pilot, his Canadian comedy channel show, and midnight games of soccer at Parliament Hill from his college radio call-in show.

Lost track of him a bit through his US years, but can co-sign on LOL Canada.

PFT incredible in all formats, and has always been very gracious in chance encounters.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I don't think PFT really does much actual standup anymore. CBB/Spont/Superego/TAH plus his Varietopia thing seems to be what he does. Which, to be clear, all of that is incredible

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
He was also best supporting actor in probably the best animated drama ever produced

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tony Phillips posted:

I saw him in London a bunch of years ago for the show that became Crying and Driving and it was so great. He did about 30+ minutes about the UK at the beginning because he'd been there a bunch so had some good stories to tell. Naturally, I now remember none of them.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Cael posted:

I've been afraid to watch the non-Japanese versions of documental because I've heard they are universally terrible and miss the comedic beats that make it great, but I'll try the Canadian one.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Bip Roberts posted:

I've been afraid to watch the non-Japanese versions of documental because I've heard they are universally terrible and miss the comedic beats that make it great, but I'll try the Canadian one.

It’s interesting to see how different countries interpret the ‘rules’. The German one has random stuff happening constantly in the background, like Heino singing while on helium, but also features an absurdist spoken word poet and a Jim-Carrey type comedian as competitors. The Mexican one has a salt road comic making GBS threads on a TikTok guy’s awful act and complaining about politics in the show. The French one has a filthy female comic winning.

But in general I’d say the cornier the host is, the worse the version is. I haven’t seen the Brazilian or Italian version yet.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

I’d agree the Japanese one is still better, it’s a very specific narrow focus and Canada (the only other one I’ve seen) does a lot of miscellaneous stuff I don’t necessarily think works well but it gets by on the fact that you’ll recognize the majority of the cast and appreciate where they are in their headspace / type of comedy more.

Harminoff posted:

They were delicious.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Harminoff posted:

I COULD LOSE ALL OF THIS

Cold Milk Bottle
Nov 19, 2012
All of them were terrible before the Canadian one.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Regarding PFT, Laboring Under Delusions is amazing

And agreed about how great LOL:Canuckistan was. Green and Mochrie both brought their a games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy

EL BROMANCE posted:

I saw him in London a bunch of years ago for the show that became Crying and Driving and it was so great. He did about 30+ minutes about the UK at the beginning because he'd been there a bunch so had some good stories to tell. Naturally, I now remember none of them.

I also saw him in London during that show. I was at the late show after a guy had a heart attack in the crowd during the early show so it was a lot of talking about that. It was well worth flying in from Sweden just for the show