Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

dissss posted:

Shoulda kept the Japanese 'MasterAce Surf' naming scheme (with trims called 'Royal Lounge' and 'Grand Saloon')

:godwin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Imperador do Brasil posted:

KW-M560BT, whatever the difference might be 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'm not sure what the difference is either. They both use the same firmware and have identical specs, and the owner's manual covers both models. :shrug: One or the other seems to be in stock at any one time.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

One could be the chip shortage special with different parts swapped inside from other suppliers. There's a lot of that going around at the moment.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Hit a milestone.
2015 BRZ, got it in May of 2015.
I guess I should have cleaned my gauge cluster earlier in the week.

Per the maintenance schedule looks like I’m about due for :
Fuel filter - this would be the biggest pain in the rear end and the most expensive to do labor wise. Is it actually with doing now?
Engine air filter
Rear dif
Brake fluid
Clutch fluid
Also is this poo poo that a) I should/can easily do, b) I should have my regular mechanic do, or c) take it to the dealer?

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 12, 2022

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Suburban Dad posted:

One could be the chip shortage special with different parts swapped inside from other suppliers. There's a lot of that going around at the moment.

I would think they'd use different firmware if that were the case?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

STR posted:

:shrug:

Pure speculation at this point. Dunno if there's an actual difference but if they're just replacing like for like components that are functionally identical I don't see why anything software related would need to change.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

Hit a milestone.

Fuel filter - this would be the biggest pain in the rear end and the most expensive to do labor wise. Is it actually with doing now?
Engine air filter
Rear dif
Brake fluid
Clutch fluid
Also is this poo poo that a) I should/can easily do, b) I should have my regular mechanic do, or c) take it to the dealer?

Congratulations! Now I’m no BRZ expert, but my vote honor the maintenance schedule. Do it right, and get another 100K out of the thing.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

AFewBricksShy posted:

Hit a milestone.

Engine air filter
Rear dif
Brake fluid
Clutch fluid

Don't know about the effort on the fuel filter but the rest are easy. Diff needs large Allen wrenches, the rest is very basic tools.

Subaru has a maintenance portal thing. When I bought mine it was $30 for 3 days and i could download all the factory service manuals in searchable pdf form.

I should diy vs my mechanic is just if you want to do it yourself.

Dealer would be a plus for resale, maybe, but more expensive. Probably not worth it.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

STR posted:

A sizable number of head units are linux tablets, so all it takes to handle multiple system boards with different chips on a single image file is adding all the driver packs.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

STR posted:

I'm not sure what the difference is either. They both use the same firmware and have identical specs, and the owner's manual covers both models. :shrug: One or the other seems to be in stock at any one time.

The product page says one is SiriusXM ready, the other doesn't mention it

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

honda whisperer posted:

Don't know about the effort on the fuel filter but the rest are easy. Diff needs large Allen wrenches, the rest is very basic tools.

Subaru has a maintenance portal thing. When I bought mine it was $30 for 3 days and i could download all the factory service manuals in searchable pdf form.

I should diy vs my mechanic is just if you want to do it yourself.

Dealer would be a plus for resale, maybe, but more expensive. Probably not worth it.

There is also this :)
https://gt86stuff.onrender.com/t3Portal/

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Went to get a new tire. Dropped the wheel/old tire off (been on my spare for awhile). Went to dr appt, came back. Picked up the tire. Came out to find a different tire flat. Walmart's Auto Center said too bad, we're not taking any more cars (it was 5:30, they close at 7), they won't help at all, they won't sell me another tire either. They were happy to sell me a jack. :argh: I should have a jack in the car anyway, but having a tire shop refuse to just slap the tire/wheel on when I had a flat in their parking lot, after buying a tire and paying for mounting/balancing... :sigh: I noticed a screw in the tire earlier in the day; it wasn't there after it was flat, I'm guessing it came out or went into the tire.

The flat tire looked absolutely horrible, despite being mfg week 11 of 2021. Splits, cracks, belts starting to appear from one split. loving yikes. I need to get that other Goodyear replaced ASAP; hopefully I can do that tomorrow.

Got the window regulator out. One rivet put up a fight. Dorman's parts list isn't remotely right, the bolts are all too long (and they call for 10 of them, I only need 6). I'll roll over to Lowe's in the morning and get some half inch long bolts and get everything back together. I'll see if the parts store will exchange the window regulator for one without a motor too (they carry both, and I haven't opened the box or broken the seal on it). Should get $35 back in my pocket.

e: new regulator came with all the hardware. :doh: anyway. new regulator in. Used some old styrofoam for the missing plastic piece on the window. New tire on, so it has 4 matching(ish) tires now.

dissss posted:

The product page says one is SiriusXM ready, the other doesn't mention it

Just checked JVC's website for both; they both show SiriusXM ready. I'm assuming you looked at Crutchfield's product pages. I know my 56 has a SiriusXM tuner cable on the back.

But looking at JVC's website, the 56 only has a manual for North America (in the 3 main languages spoken in NA); the 560 has manuals for most of the world, in plenty of languages.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 13, 2022

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Fitted the custom coil cover on the RS2, I think it looks smashing!

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

My dads 05 1/2 ton suddenly lost AC, and it had been intermittently working before. Compressor wouldn't turn on despite having enough pressure to do so, no power at the pressure sensor. It took about 12 seconds of a cursory look to discover that somebody (probably my dad) didn't reattach the engine harness correctly, and it rubbed on the PCV for a long long time. 2 AC related plugs, 2 on the throttle body all have broken or mostly broken wires. Somebody also broke the coolant temp sensor plug and had bare terminals shoved in there, but thankfully pigtails are easy to get.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

afen posted:

Fitted the custom coil cover on the RS2, I think it looks smashing!

It looks great, I'd be tempted to do something on the manifold, like fill in the low spots with some low gloss metallic silver or take it to a machine shop and skim the top part of that rectangle off. Or tape it up and try and block it down by hand.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Found out that C6s have launch control for the manuals built into the Competitive Driving mode. Gave it a go this Friday at the track. Was a cool night, so had the best night of runs I've had yet. Best run was 7.62@99.67 in the 1/8th.

https://imgur.com/a/HkewqQa

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

gently caress old sway bar end links until the end of time

Valve cover progress:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It took me a few attempts on a few different cars to realise that this is the way to do it. Grease does loving reek when it gets hot though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It took me a few attempts on a few different cars to realise that this is the way to do it. Grease does loving reek when it gets hot though.

Cutting things off with an angle grinder is always the right way to do things.

The other thing you can try (works great with both exhaust and rusty sway bar links) is just go full send on tighten with the rattlegun. You're not gonna re-use those rusty rear end bolts anyway so just break them as efficiently as possible.

E: also, it's valve cover gasket time on the cayenne. Along with a bunch of other stuff.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 14, 2022

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Olympic Mathlete posted:

There was no grease left, these were 22 years old…had to cut all four off.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I remember trying to do the end links and bushings on my old 99 civic. Got the links replaced and then tried to undo the bar and all 4 bolts snapped. I just took the bar off. :v:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Sway bar links are also why I bought a torch.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Part two today:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Mazda sway bar links superior then, mine were 22 when I cut them off too! :v:

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

This is less of what did I do to my ride and more what did my ride do to me.

I took E36 out to run some errands on a day off. I went to leave, pushed in the clutch, heard a crunch, and then the pedal and a bunch of plastic debris and springs hit the floor.

AFAIKT the clutch master went out and took all of the associated old plastic bits attached to the pedal along with it. Big puddle brake fluid on the ground. I replaced the slave with the clutch not that long ago so I'm assuming it is not that.

Some pedal bits.

First tow. For this car.

In retrospect, I should have just started it in gear and driven it the couple of miles home as the tow driver was very unpleasant.

Thinking about the crunchy plastic, I have never touched the cooling system in the car in the time that I've had it so I should shotgun a cooling system replacement before the GDCS gods call for me.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

You probably already know this, but that job isn't finished. You need to put in the grease fittings and squeeze in just enough grease to make the boots swell a little bit. It looks like that might be easier said than done in-situ.

Moog knows to put wrench flats on the "bolty" part of the sway bar link. Why don't automakers know to do this?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

PBCrunch posted:

You probably already know this, but that job isn't finished. You need to put in the grease fittings and squeeze in just enough grease to make the boots swell a little bit. It looks like that might be easier said than done in-situ.

Moog knows to put wrench flats on the "bolty" part of the sway bar link. Why don't automakers know to do this?

Yeah I had to put the fittings in after the installation of the actual links - no room otherwise. The grease gun part might be left to the safety inspection station. Along with installing the new exhaust center section which I’m just too tired to do at this point. I’m done dealing with rust bolts for a while.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 15, 2022

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

ThirstyBuck posted:

This is less of what did I do to my ride and more what did my ride do to me.

I took E36 out to run some errands on a day off. I went to leave, pushed in the clutch, heard a crunch, and then the pedal and a bunch of plastic debris and springs hit the floor.

AFAIKT the clutch master went out and took all of the associated old plastic bits attached to the pedal along with it. Big puddle brake fluid on the ground. I replaced the slave with the clutch not that long ago so I'm assuming it is not that.

Some pedal bits.

First tow. For this car.

In retrospect, I should have just started it in gear and driven it the couple of miles home as the tow driver was very unpleasant.

Thinking about the crunchy plastic, I have never touched the cooling system in the car in the time that I've had it so I should shotgun a cooling system replacement before the GDCS gods call for me.

gently caress plastic crap in any capacity for clutch operation. About the only advantage is "not rusting" in the case of the master or slave cylinders. In the pedal? LOL, gently caress no. Too much stress, too many cycles to use plastic in that application.

edit:

Mr-Spain posted:

It looks great, I'd be tempted to do something on the manifold, like fill in the low spots with some low gloss metallic silver or take it to a machine shop and skim the top part of that rectangle off. Or tape it up and try and block it down by hand.

I've had good luck with doing that with a stiff sanding block and care, but that was on ones that already had the particular surface machine originally.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Yeah I had to put the fittings in after the installation of the actual links - no room otherwise. The grease gun part might be left to the safety inspection station. Along with installing the new exhaust center section which I’m just too tired to do at this point. I’m done dealing with rust bolts for a while.

gently caress it I bought a mini grease gun and did it myself.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Had the stock BRZ driveshaft shortened 5.5" to fit the K24 being back compared to stock since the 1pc aluminum driveshaft has some annoying vibration above 70mph. Hopefully it is an improvement.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

gently caress it I bought a mini grease gun and did it myself.

FYI, this thing rules for getting yourself out of jams like that:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SR6XO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I was looking for something like that but I only went to HF on the way home from work. I took the wheels off and cranked the end links a little to get to the fittings and then put the wheels back on - it was a good chance to check my work anyway.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Hypnolobster posted:

My dads 05 1/2 ton suddenly lost AC, and it had been intermittently working before. Compressor wouldn't turn on despite having enough pressure to do so, no power at the pressure sensor. It took about 12 seconds of a cursory look to discover that somebody (probably my dad) didn't reattach the engine harness correctly, and it rubbed on the PCV for a long long time. 2 AC related plugs, 2 on the throttle body all have broken or mostly broken wires. Somebody also broke the coolant temp sensor plug and had bare terminals shoved in there, but thankfully pigtails are easy to get.

Fixed these bastards, used the glorious mini tape roll with a socket trick.
It didn't fix the AC, but my dad parts-cannoned sensors at it (it's his truck, so he's welcome to) and the compressor kicks on now. Recharged and it's all good. I am so tired of broken harness problems.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Reminds me of the time I replaced the interior control module in the Integra and still had no chime or interior lights. I was about to open the harness when I thought to stroll through the engine bay fuse box one more time and discovered the fuse for the "interior lights" was blown. Replaced it and everything was gold. Thanks Honda for not labeling that a little more clearly, but I narrowly avoided making a much bigger mess. Lesson learned - don't crack into the harness unless EVERY other possibility has been ruled out

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I pulled a gauge cluster and was testing everything this last week, and after crazy insane yoga to get it back in the blinkers weren’t working. Thankfully I realized I pulled the hazard switch on the dash and thought maybe it’s tied in. Yes it was.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

So glad PA is a no-front-plate state

Edit: I also now smell like sheep grease.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 18, 2022

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Panty Saluter posted:

Reminds me of the time I replaced the interior control module in the Integra and still had no chime or interior lights. I was about to open the harness when I thought to stroll through the engine bay fuse box one more time and discovered the fuse for the "interior lights" was blown. Replaced it and everything was gold. Thanks Honda for not labeling that a little more clearly, but I narrowly avoided making a much bigger mess. Lesson learned - don't crack into the harness unless EVERY other possibility has been ruled out

To be fair, at least on 90-93 Integras, those were HIGHLY prone to failure. Though the usual first symptom was wonky wiper behavior.

When I still had my Integra, I would raid junkyards and get every module I could, and test them on my own car. Then sling them on eBay. Did the same with the HVAC controls, except on those it was always cracked solder joints. Touch them up, verify continuity with a multimeter, sell them on eBay.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Edit: I also now smell like sheep grease.

Fluid Film does stink. It reminds me of the smell of driving behind a garbage truck on a hot summer day. The company that makes PB Blaster makes an alternative lanolin-based product called Surface Shield. I haven't been able to find it in stores, but the FAQ page says:

quote:

DOES SURFACE SHIELD® HAVE AN ODOR?
B’laster Surface Shield® has a mild cedar fragrance so you can protect your project without stinking up your garage.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I put a new head unit into the BRZ today, I finally got all of the proper harnesses.

Edit: and I just changed the splash screen on both the BRZ and the ranger to show the appropriate logo instead of the Jvc screen.
It’s the little things that make me happy.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

PBCrunch posted:

Fluid Film does stink. It reminds me of the smell of driving behind a garbage truck on a hot summer day. The company that makes PB Blaster makes an alternative lanolin-based product called Surface Shield. I haven't been able to find it in stores, but the FAQ page says:

If you want a not-stinky fluid film, get Woolwax from https://www.kellsportproducts.com/. It's the same stuff, made by the same people, but it's thicker and has no smell.

e: well, it has a different smell.