Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which August 16th release are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Blossom Tales 2: The Minotaur Prince [PC, Switch] – August 16 12 21.82%
Rollerdrome [PC, PS5, PS4] – August 16 31 56.36%
Tribes of Midgard [XSX, XBO, Switch] – August 16 5 9.09%
Way of the Hunter [PC, PS5, XSX] – August 16 7 12.73%
Total: 55 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Why is capricorn a mailman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/realgdt/status/1558103309797318658?s=21&t=okY0ogOqGH3UwyG1sjkX0A

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish people close to this project could talk about what P.T. was meant to be and what the plans were for this. Like I think we know it was meant to be a Silent Hill sequel? But I don't think many more details were ever released outside of that.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hope the new alone in the dark has the window shot in it like the first 4 games had

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I said come in! posted:

I wish people close to this project could talk about what P.T. was meant to be and what the plans were for this. Like I think we know it was meant to be a Silent Hill sequel? But I don't think many more details were ever released outside of that.

They're probably bound by NDAs still. It seemed like it was mostly a proof of concept/mood teaser for a new Silent Hill, yes.

I also imagine it was so early in development when it got canned that there's not much to say.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 12, 2022

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Oh man, my one (scorpio) is fantastic :D

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I missed dog page but that's not gonna stop me. Here's Coco in a big stretch

Also I just saw Hogwarts Legacy got delayed into 2023? Did anyone think that was actually gonna hit this year?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

wuggles posted:

Also I just saw Hogwarts Legacy got delayed into 2023? Did anyone think that was actually gonna hit this year?

They've been working on it since 2017, so I had certainly hoped it would for their sakes, but alas.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They've been working on it since when a AAA Harry Potter game was an appealing product.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUhKEuG3kfA

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

They've been working on it since when a AAA Harry Potter game was an appealing product.

Haha, that's literally true. Problematic stuff in the text aside, when they started it, JK hadn't gone full mask-off yet.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Oh man, my one (scorpio) is fantastic :D

I am scorpio as well!

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

AceOfFlames posted:

I'm sorry but this series has already hit it's zenith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k8KYp0aaJY

Because of this game my wife and I usually end up just randomly saying "I'm the key!" at each other. It was so much jank and so much fun.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

wuggles posted:

Oooooo big streeeeeeeeetch

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I have been playing a lot of Swtor recently and while I am in no way saying it is a better story or that it is better written than ff14, the actual mechanics used to convey the story to the player feels better to me.

It really helps that everything is voice acted and that you can even make some decisions now and then, it really gives the player a bit more personality (I know ff14 does choices in the expansions sort of).
Also, the amount of dialogue is more concise and the plot(s) are more focused which helps me from forgetting who is doing what and why.
I don't like the way the majority of dialogue in FF14 is presented in very small text snippets while still doing cutscene pans and camera movements, it really bogs down the story for me. I'd much prefer the unvoiced dialog being presented as plain text that I can read trough at my leisure and not having to click trough all these dialog boxes.

All this being said, I think the story overall is interesting and engaging and I do think my issues have been addressed over the years and the storytelling in Endwalker was much improved from earlier parts of the game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I have been playing a lot of Swtor recently and while I am in no way saying it is a better story or that it is better written than ff14, the actual mechanics used to convey the story to the player feels better to me.

I’ve never done any content past the class stories in SWTOR. Do the expansions compare favorably?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Harrow posted:

I feel like it's kinda like... FFXIV's flaws get alternately glossed over and also overstated pretty often. Like I think people sometimes really hyperbolically overstate how bad ARR is at the same time as they gloss over some of the lower points of the later expansions, and poo poo, even the best expansions have some low points.

FFXIV's a weird game to recommend to people because it's so many different games.

Pre-abridged ARR was really bad imo, the only reason I cleared it back then was because I was unemployed and that was a struggle then but yeah even in the expansions it can often feel like there's just too many cutscenes and not enough gameplay. Their solution to 'healer exist and have bad dps/rotations' just seems to be 'give the player minimal combat gameplay in the MSQ' and outside of the endgame it's the least multiplayer MMO I've ever seen

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

In the coffee?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
The Kirby concert having lore was wasn't a surprise, but it was welcome.

https://twitter.com/mirai_lor/status/1557839391019544576

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm here for a Kirby ARG

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
tlon, uqbar, kirbis tertius

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

haveblue posted:

new thread title

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

It's pretty obvious from the text of the game that that was earth

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

But the frozen planet in 64 was Earth!

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

DemoneeHo posted:

In the coffee?

it never fails

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

haveblue posted:

I understood this reference but can't think of a witty joke to respond with.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

why should the story be blamed for your ignorance of its source material

very weird post

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
ah you didn't read some unrelated and overrated boomer comic? begone

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gaius Marius posted:

I understood this reference but can't think of a witty joke to respond with.

mirrors and cake are abominable, because they increase the number of Kirbys. No that doesn't make any sense.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

berserk's a genuine classic that's been highly influential in japanese fantasy media, but it's also old enough to have gone to college and had kids by now, so i don't think it's that odd if someone's unfamiliar with it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Calling Berserk unrelated and overrated when it massively impacted Japanese fantasy and pretty much all Japanese fantasy games, is a bit of a stretch. You could instead call it a comic you personally don't care for.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Berserk owns. Golden age arc is overrated

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I didn't care for it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Too much sexual violence, not enough high fives

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Not knowing about it is normal, and cool

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

More like Boresuck

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

More like Boresuck

this, quite frankly

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Does anyone know if Persona 5 Royal worth checking out if I already beat the original back when it came out

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

Does anyone know if Persona 5 Royal worth checking out if I already beat the original back when it came out

If it's been awhile then yeah it is, the additional post-game content is absolutely massive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Help Im Alive posted:

Do you want to do the combat and dungeons again with more refined mechanics?

Are you interested in doing a new dungeon and seeing a new story chapter after doing the 80+ hours of the base game again?

If yes, then yes