Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's probably mosaic tile work not paint.

I'm digging the Hagia Sophia there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
That last shot of what I'm assuming is the palace is great. I think the two statues are supposed to be Elros on the left and maybe Elrond on the right?

The waterfall is pretty extravagant, but hey, you've got to do something with the excess after keeping Nimloth watered.

The Minas Truth shape is a logical thing too. It makes sense that the exiles would build their cities in memory of Numenor.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 14, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Data Graham posted:

I hope there’s a reason for the aqueduct system feeding a 300-foot waterfall in the middle of the city other than “it looks cool”

Could be a river.

Train Surgeon
Jan 14, 2012

Data Graham posted:

I hope there’s a reason for the aqueduct system feeding a 300-foot waterfall in the middle of the city other than “it looks cool”

I sure also hope there will be an on-screen architectural explanation relevant to the storyline, taking up screentime, for this totally unrealistic feature in a fantasy series built on perfectly logical building decisions.
Also Sauron should have at least a 3 episode arc discussing building a tower with a giant eye on top, otherwise we'll have to cancel this foolish tv-show.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Seems like some of y’all are totally unfamiliar with monumental architecture

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
The Elven architect Elbert Spear.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Engineered by Elroscar Niemeyer

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

2nd Amendment posted:

The Elven architect Elbert Spear.

Hitler would've wanted these built

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Judgy Fucker posted:

arms need to be higher

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Imagine what those rock formations would have looked like before some stonemasons cut away everything that didn't look like a pair of dudes

e:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I had a teacher that tried to get us to guess how the sphynx lost its nose. None of got it right.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

YaketySass posted:

arms need to be higher

Yeah they're about halfway between a Roman salute and the Supremes

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
Ham hamil
'bout what you trying to do to me
Fairië
Faiiiiiirië
ooh fairiëëëë!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

all the expensive shots won't save it if the acting's crap. they should've gone with at least a few familiar faces. rob brydon as sauron, steve coogan as ar pharazon maybe

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

since they turned ar pharazon into an "advisor" of tar-miriel i kind of suspect they'll give miriel the role of ar pharazon in the book (seeking immortality and being seduced), while the guy billed as pharazon is actually sauron in disguise, or some bullshit like that

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Is Lenny Henry not considered a "familiar face" these days?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Shibawanko posted:

since they turned ar pharazon into an "advisor" of tar-miriel i kind of suspect they'll give miriel the role of ar pharazon in the book (seeking immortality and being seduced), while the guy billed as pharazon is actually sauron in disguise, or some bullshit like that

That's going to leave a nice taste; switching it round so the vain weak-minded woman is the one who wrecks Numenor. Though it's likelier this is just pre- him usurping her.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Judgy Fucker posted:

It will forever annoy me that in this shot both statues have their left arm raised, but in shots from the other side once the Fellowship have passed through, both statues have their inside arm raised (ie the guy on the left has his right arm raised instead)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

webmeister posted:

It will forever annoy me that in this shot both statues have their left arm raised, but in shots from the other side once the Fellowship have passed through, both statues have their inside arm raised (ie the guy on the left has his right arm raised instead)

The shot from the back is reversed so the two statues have switched places (the points on the crowns are the giveaway) and now they're both holding their right arms up. You can see the back of the elbow of the left arm of the statue which is now on the right.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The shot from the back is reversed so the two statues have switched places (the points on the crowns are the giveaway) and now they're both holding their right arms up. You can see the back of the elbow of the left arm of the statue which is now on the right.

Neat! The whole landscape frame is flipped! Parse out the path of the river! In the top one it takes a hard turn to the left but in the bottom one that turn would have had to be to the right if looking out from the statues

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Shibawanko posted:

could be that they are condensing down the millennia long struggle between the he Faithful and the King's Men into a smaller chunk and him usurping power will summarize that

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/LOTRonPrime/status/1559224572687241217

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

yep so they are condensing the King's Men and Faithful down into one large event instead of a thousand year debacle.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Shibawanko posted:

all the expensive shots won't save it if the acting's crap. they should've gone with at least a few familiar faces. rob brydon as sauron, steve coogan as ar pharazon maybe

I still maintain Marton Csokas would be the perfect Ar-Pharazon. Hes good at playing charismatic and unhinged bad guys and I recently finished that show INTO THE BADLANDS and it further solidified my belief in Marton Csokas as the best candidate for playing a human sacrificing mad king declaring war on God.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
The episode timing has been released. As was speculated, they're releasing the first two episodes together. They're coming a little earlier, too: 9pm ET.

https://twitter.com/PrimeVideo/status/1559555674064834560

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Data Graham posted:

Imagine what those rock formations would have looked like before some stonemasons cut away everything that didn't look like a pair of dudes

Geology kinda loses it's meaning in a world where people can just randomly make the earth round.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

goddamnit

https://twitter.com/FellowshipFans/status/1560127172718755840

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

lol

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
I'm reading my daughter the Hobbit. My reading involves some gender swapping (not a lot of women in the Hobbit but Bilba Baggins will do, throw in Kili and Fili) and is heavily informed by the Rankin Bass versions (Glen Yargshuggoth really got the music). It involves a lot of "can we go back to "Ho ho my lad" and "Bilba falling down the tunnel".

I'm really depressed about this news.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Who the hell are Embracer Group and their logo better be a giant octopus wrapped around the globe for maximum supervillainy with a name like that.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

GOD DAMMIT

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

RIP, and not even 5 years after Tolkien's son died*

* Granted I don't think he liked the Peter Jackson movies existing either

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fittingly, I just got to the recent Exploring the Lord of the Rings episode where Olsen goes off on a tangent about adaptations and about how everyone is always terrified that some upcoming iteration will be terrible and will "ruin" the original work. i.e. it happened with Jackson (I recall the trepidation with which we all awaited news and clues in the run-up to 2001), and one of the listeners said he remembered it happening with Bakshi. The Hobbit movies were of course godawful. And yet here we all still are.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Smeagol as a shopkeeper and tanner, who ekes out a meager living.

Until one day, when Everything Changes Forever

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Runcible Cat posted:

Who the hell are Embracer Group and their logo better be a giant octopus wrapped around the globe for maximum supervillainy with a name like that.

Swedish media holding company that's been buying a poo poo load of companies over the last few years. They bought Asmodee the massive board game company for 2.75 billion euros last year, Dark Horse, Gearbox, chunks of Square Enix (as Square are stupidly going into NFTs or something) so they now own Tomb Raider, Deus Ex etc.

Saudi Arabia's public investment fund put in 1 billion at 8% a few months back, valuing them at 12.5 bil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mergers_and_acquisitions_by_Embracer_Group

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

PST posted:

Swedish media holding company that's been buying a poo poo load of companies over the last few years. They bought Asmodee the massive board game company for 2.75 billion euros last year, Dark Horse, Gearbox, chunks of Square Enix (as Square are stupidly going into NFTs or something) so they now own Tomb Raider, Deus Ex etc.

Saudi Arabia's public investment fund put in 1 billion at 8% a few months back, valuing them at 12.5 bil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mergers_and_acquisitions_by_Embracer_Group

Yeah, I was gonna say, they just released a poo poo ton of press releases about all the companies they just acquired. I haven't heard of most of them. Check out this Twitter thread.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1560117210181275648?s=20&t=Gin8b7YBUUtkNPnjMuat3Q

Limited Run Games and the Tolkien stuff seems like the two biggest companies from this latest media grab, but mostly they seem to be expanding their portfolio. Doesn't mean they'll do anything with LOTR, specifically.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Middle-Earth battle royale game with flossing Gandalf and eagle air drops coming in 2023.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

For only two buttcoin in in-game purchase, you can activate the EAGLES! See if they can simply drop the Ring of Power into Orodruin!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Orodruin? Nobody's going to know what an "Orodruin" is. Sure, there might be a bit of fan backlash if we change it to "Lava Mountain," but they're going to watch it anyway and we really want to capture the 6-12 demo to hook them as lifelong consumers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe if they give Orodruin huge cleavage