Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

nrook posted:

I think the roguelike renaissance might be good for shmups overall, since most hybrid roguelikes have a game structure like an arcade game. But making a shmup roguelike itself is very difficult, since the best things about a good shmup are successfully executing and conquering a part of the game that gave you trouble in the past.

Void rains upon her heart is exactly this

I don't love that game for various reasons, but it has a really strong template for something that could work just fine in the shooter space - smooth difficulty onramp, lots of meters and numbers to increase for meta progression, easy to pick up and play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
People shouldn't beat themselves over trying to 1cc a game that seems too difficult. One of the cool aspects of playing shmups is that you get into a kind of zen mode as you weave through difficult patterns and progress further into the game - it's just you and the infinite storm of bullets. You don't have to be able to reach the final boss to experience this feeling, but you have to grit your teeth a little instead of mashing that Continue button.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I just spent 5 hours on The Void Rains Upon Her Heart

how
how did this happen

this game is fantastic

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Char posted:

I just spent 5 hours on The Void Rains Upon Her Heart

how
how did this happen

this game is fantastic

^

See? :v:

Something like that with like A-tier production level could be a massive hit, but I don't know that there's quite enough dev nostalgia out there for it to happen. We'll see, mutant rogue* dna is infecting all kinds of genres, maybe it'll trigger a breakout indie shmup hit.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think part of the challenge of mixing roguelikes with shmups is that memorization seems to kind of be part of the deal with what makes stages work. At least for the ones I’ve stuck with, like Jamestown.

The void game is amazing but it’s also just boss rushes, so it doesn’t quite fill the same niche for me as something like Blazing Lazers.

also thread is great, shmups are cool and I’d like to be better at them

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I used to be a fan of the genre but the last time I tried to 1cc anything was, like... when did Ikaruga release on Steam... 2014? Yeah sounds about right.
TVRUHH is very gentle in attempting to reintroduce me to the genre.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

HoloCure is probably one of the better implementations of what I might consider both a Roguelight and a Shmup. I think the fact that you have to make decisions on which weapon combinations to go for and how it effects the build of your character (which you can think of in terms of a class choice in a roguelike) and just powerup choice in general-- this is analogous to me to the decisions you make in many roguelike games. The enemies seem to have some randomization to them, but also the stage is fixed at enemy types/patterns appearing at specific timer so there is also memorization, strategy and optimization involved.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

since it isn't on the racketboy list, I'm gonna mention world reborn for the gba. finished, but never released, looks really good and doesn't have a shop/upgrade system but does have an experience/leveling system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIY_F5vRN5Q&t=2221s

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah it feels weird to say they never got an indie rennaissance when one of the biggest indie series ever is shmups

Mostly I mean the "highly-publicized" part, there hasn't been anything like the Fez-mania and that period where even non-gaming publications were tripping over themselves to talk about platformers.

But maybe that's part of it, and ties back to victrix's comments on the first page of this thread: you kind of already have to be a certain kind of gamer to get the SHMUP appeal.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Operation STEEL on Steam is a fantastic shmup with roguelite elements. Not too difficult on the normal mode too, a real comfy ride. Nice soundtrack too.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1489300/Operation_STEEL/

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
My Egret II Mini finally arrived today and it's got some pretty good shmups on it. Rayforce, Darius Gaiden, Metal Black, and Fun Frontier are all hard as hell but really cool, and some of the older ones like Halley's Comet aren't life changing but it's neat to see where some ideas got started.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
In an attempt to better understand some of the old style games I picked up G-Darius and R-Type Dimensions for Switch. G-Darius is gorgeous and really tricky holy poo poo!! It's so fun to play a game where the dev team was obviously bursting with creative energy.

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 15, 2022

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

After The War posted:

Mostly I mean the "highly-publicized" part, there hasn't been anything like the Fez-mania and that period where even non-gaming publications were tripping over themselves to talk about platformers.

But maybe that's part of it, and ties back to victrix's comments on the first page of this thread: you kind of already have to be a certain kind of gamer to get the SHMUP appeal.

touhou is insanely big even among people who don't care about shmups. It didn't need help from western non-gaming publications when half the booths at comiket where selling touhou fanworks

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So on that note, today it's actually exactly 25 years since the very first (and second) Touhou game had a public release, on Comiket 52 in 1997. It had been completed and shown before then, but not sold.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Aw, no love for early 90s Western shmups?

I played a lot of Major Stryker and Raptor: Call of the Shadows as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueSS8IGBz98

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbJf2dNGn6M

And now, decades later, I can play the menu theme from Major Stryker and the Bravo Sector music on guitar :rock:

(edit: well, I say "can play" in the sense of "have successfully played flawlessly exactly one time". I should really get practising again)

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Aug 15, 2022

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
How the hell is there no Gradius compilation? It’s the shmup franchise. I’d kill to have something with 1-5 arcade and console, Gaiden Rebirth and the Salamander games, hell throw in the Game Boy ones too. It’s ridiculous there’s no feasible legal way to get some of these. The last time for most was either on the defunct Wii vc or finding a 15 year old PSP game on eBay.
Hell put Rtype there too, they only ever rerelease 1&2, never 3,Delta, and Leo.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I can't really play shmups due to a low tolerance for failure and a packed schedule, but I really like to read about their design. Zero Ranger really stands out to me in that regard.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Hyperlynx posted:

And now, decades later, I can play the menu theme from Major Stryker and the Bravo Sector music on guitar :rock:

(edit: well, I say "can play" in the sense of "have successfully played flawlessly exactly one time". I should really get practising again)

That counts as 1CC. I did the same thing with Big Blue

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Been playing some of this lately https://hitp-studio.itch.io/schildmaid-mx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etPWvUg1ZeA

it's got what i would call the aesthetics of a euroshmup but no buying upgrades, instead it's about absorbing bullets with your shield and destroying enemies to extend your shield time. if you fail to keep it up you become vulnerable for a while until it recharges, so it's about trying to carry your combo through entire stages.

it's supposed to be coming to steam and switch i think eventually, if you don't want to buy from itch

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

galagazombie posted:

How the hell is there no Gradius compilation? It’s the shmup franchise. I’d kill to have something with 1-5 arcade and console, Gaiden Rebirth and the Salamander games, hell throw in the Game Boy ones too. It’s ridiculous there’s no feasible legal way to get some of these. The last time for most was either on the defunct Wii vc or finding a 15 year old PSP game on eBay.

I'm more of a Konami apologist than most, but their incredibly slapdash approach to compilations in the past 15 years is infuriating. I was hoping the set of arcade + Castlevania comps was leading to something, but nope, there was never any further followup outside of the GBA Castlevania collection.

This is a company that did some absolutely deep and involved ports all the time from the CD era through the PSP, and then suddenly it became "we'll crap out an infamous Silent Hill compilation and stop, lol" once the PS360 Gen rolled around. I guess there was that half-baked Metal Gear one too, same period.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

I wouldn't be surprised if a Gradius compilation came along at some point, but M2 is really busy all the time so I wouldn't expect it soon.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
G-Darius is so loving cool

https://imgur.com/io7NZxu.mp4

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It's sensational. I've really come to appreciate the polygonal shmups of the PS1 and Saturn, back when dev costs were low enough to let them do cool things with it.

I'd give a big recommendation to R-Type Delta, it's one of the most approachable in the series and still looks great today.

There's also Thunder Force V, Raycrisis and Raystorm (think these are getting ported again soon), Einhander, and as a kid I really liked Star Soldier Vanishing Earth on the N64. Sure there's more I'm forgetting.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 16, 2022

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
G-Darius was originally published in arcades, hence the excessive visuals. It was supposed to be a big sendoff for the series, and they wouldn't do another until Dariusburst 12 years later. Also the latest Dariusburst is said to be an exceptional port job, and does include ghosts on the leaderboards like a racing game

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

secretly best girl posted:

I'm more of a Konami apologist than most, but their incredibly slapdash approach to compilations in the past 15 years is infuriating. I was hoping the set of arcade + Castlevania comps was leading to something, but nope, there was never any further followup outside of the GBA Castlevania collection.

This is a company that did some absolutely deep and involved ports all the time from the CD era through the PSP, and then suddenly it became "we'll crap out an infamous Silent Hill compilation and stop, lol" once the PS360 Gen rolled around. I guess there was that half-baked Metal Gear one too, same period.
Haven't followed in a while but vaguely recall various news at different times of them basically killing everything that wasn't pachinko or Metal Gear or PES. You'd think they'd take some relatively easy money with compilations. I just want to play Gradius V :cry:

beer gas canister posted:

G-Darius is so loving cool
Yeah the console release is one of the ones that planted the seeds for me way back, it's such a great spectacle all around.

Need to play Dariusburst more, just have the Switch version so only 32:9 but got to play a bit of it with my nephew on a bigger screen this weekend and was pretty cool (and he liked the music, he is a young man of culture). Gotta remember to try it out on my projector sometime.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Fresh beginner friendly port landing on Switch today: Hell Blasters. Developed by a veteran shmup player. Features a story mode that doubles as training. First released on Steam in 2021. Shmup Junkie liked it enough to host a scoring caravan event last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZXam10cNUY&t=765s

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Best part of DariusBurst is the first level with that cheesy song while everything explodes and that woman’s singing“Freeeeeedoooom!” and I’m just totally hyped and ready to kill every fish in the ocean.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

The whole Dariusburst soundtrack is fantastic. DBCS is one of my favorite shmups, CS mode has a ton of variations on the levels and bosses and the way it lets you decide how strong you want your ship be is real nice for when you just want to blow things up and not focus as hard on dodging. If you get the steam version you can play AC mode across two monitors or an ultrawide monitor like the arcade version does.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
One extra hour of TVRUHH - what sets it apart from the experience I remember I had with shmups in the past is that this game tells you very clearly when and why you are doing well (except, well, surviving).
Its quickplay mode, especially, tells the player very clearly what breaks a score chain: either you getting damaged (which is a fancy way to lose a life), or stopping your attack.
I get that other games have a more technical scoring system, but the game here tells me everything without having to look to external sources.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I picked up a Switch OLED recently and have a bunch of travel coming up where I feel like sinking some time into a shmup.
What would people recommend that plays well in handheld mode? Assume no Flip Grip - I've got one but probably won't bring it as I prefer to use a Hori split pad rather than the joycons.
(I already own Aleste Collection, Black Bird and Aqua Kitty DX).

I kind of figure from the screen orientation that something horizontal would be better suited but would love to find vert stuff that works well on the Switch besides the GG Aleste games.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
All of the vertical shooters I've played are thoroughly legible in hori. Since you like Aleste check out Raging Blasters and other games by that publisher. Progear no Arashi (play the JP rom, EN difficulty is set too high by default) and Gigawing are both hori and they're cheaper than a red bull. Other horis include Deathsmiles, Steredenn, Cotton Reboot, Terra Force, and Rolling Gunner.

Also Metal Slug 3

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
I've been practicing Esp Ra De Psi, and I'm really appreciating the fact that the Shottriggers version gives you 40 quicksave slots. Being able to just reload a pattern immediately is so, so, so useful. I've managed to make it up to the Stage 4 boss on a single credit, and knocked the health down pretty far before dying. I am pretty proud of that. Stage 5 is brutal, though. The final boss just seems nasty as hell, wow. Learning her patterns is going to be a rough go, I can already see.

I also went to a local arcade a week or so ago, and I feel like it's made me better at arcade games in general. I got way deeper into Galaga than I'd ever been, and it was pretty breezy for a while.

DrankSinatra fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 17, 2022

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I wish you all would stop posting about shmups i want to play that are not available for Switch :mad:

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Mode 7 posted:

I picked up a Switch OLED recently and have a bunch of travel coming up where I feel like sinking some time into a shmup.
What would people recommend that plays well in handheld mode? Assume no Flip Grip - I've got one but probably won't bring it as I prefer to use a Hori split pad rather than the joycons.

I kind of figure from the screen orientation that something horizontal would be better suited but would love to find vert stuff that works well on the Switch besides the GG Aleste games.

A game I never heard of but am enjoying: Star Hunter DX. Hori, three different ships and an interesting slowdown mechanic that makes it both newbie friendly and good for scoring.

It's also sold in a bundle with Space Moth, which I really should give a serious try one of these days. Is it any good?

EDIT: Oh, and my favorite never-mentioned game - Binarystar Infinity. Very beginner-friendly, cool 1-bit graphics and I've never seen it priced above 99 cents. Won't set your world on fire, but I like it in small bursts.

A Worrying Warlock fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 17, 2022

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Danmaku Unlimited 3 is half off on the Switch for anyone interested in that one.

Ineptitude posted:

I wish you all would stop posting about shmups i want to play that are not available for Switch :mad:
I want Blue Revolver :negative:

Sobatchja Morda posted:

It's also sold in a bundle with Space Moth, which I really should give a serious try one of these days. Is it any good?
It seemed solid enough from what I played but didn't figure out the nuances of its mechanic too much.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Thunderforce OST goes so hard. Someone needs to hire that man for a modern game.

Really a ton of old shooters had insanely good music.

A Banana
Jun 11, 2013

Mode 7 posted:

Sounds like you want to play Neko Navy

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Mode 7 posted:

If you like Gradius and other classic horizontal arcade shmups, Super Hydorah is a great game in that style with enough of it's own ideas to be worth playing. It has branching paths and a different weapon to earn in each level and there's Co-Op as well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7i4GQI1FTE

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

victrix posted:

Thunderforce OST goes so hard. Someone needs to hire that man for a modern game.

The composer of Thunder Force 5 did do the music for a couple of modern games:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/771070/Infinos_Gaiden/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/444710/Battle_Crust/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

beer gas canister posted:

G-Darius was originally published in arcades, hence the excessive visuals. It was supposed to be a big sendoff for the series, and they wouldn't do another until Dariusburst 12 years later. Also the latest Dariusburst is said to be an exceptional port job, and does include ghosts on the leaderboards like a racing game

Dariusburst really is something else. The Chronicle Saviours mode was a neat way to give a shmup more longevity, and having to tackle various sets of stages with various ships offered something slightly different each time. It's a shame all the DLC amounted to: "Here's a cool new ship and three cut-and-paste stages".