Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Randalor posted:

How do you have a stealth section in a game about naval combat? I mean, even "Hoist the enemy nation's flag" would still have the issue of... your boat doesn't look like their boats.

I've been watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes lately, so I could buy that if done right, naval combat stealth could be rad as poo poo. Secretly flanking enemies or sending a small squad to wreck supply lines could have potential in the right game.

TooMuchAbstraction is probably not making that game, mind you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, if you're going to do stealth naval combat, submarines are the obvious answer. You can give enemy ships fairly clear rules for how they detect you (based on the noise you make while inside their sonar range), the basic attack method for subs is similar to a stealth takedown (fire torpedoes, then try to fade into the shadows), and subs have basically zero defense if they are detected. And there's plenty of submarine games out there that basically hew to this concept! The problem, as usual, is that if you try to retrofit stealth mechanics onto a game that wasn't designed with stealth in mind, it never works well.

If I'm lucky enough to be able to do a submarine DLC for Waves of Steel, it'll be more like one of those old Flash games where you play a shark that has to jump out of the water to eat swimmers, boats, helicopters, etc.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Dewgy posted:

While I respect your creative vision, I do have an important thing to note:

Giant silencers for your ship guns would be extremely funny.

Giant deck-mounted gun with a small silencer at the end. Enormous shockwave every time it fires, with a little psew

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I kept having people try to convince me to add a stealth section to my game about arcade naval combat. This is my response:

:sickos:

On top of everything else about how much this rules, "byobattleship" is an amazing username. Top marks all around.

Hel posted:

Either Assassins Creed 3 or Black Flag had a ship stealth section, IIRC you basically followed an enemy ship through a swamp and stopped at predetermined hiding spots to not be detected, was not a good idea.
It was Black Flag and it sucked rear end.

However, a little thing that I do enjoy about Black Flag is that it's great for short bursts of pickup gaming during lunch, commutes, etc. Definitely worth the $20 on the Switch store. It probably helps that I didn't play it before now though.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
In Black Flag I enjoy that the protagonist spends about 75% of the game trying not to learn anything about the main plot (except about the thing that everyone's after) because it has nothing do with being a pirate and getting rich.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Giant deck-mounted gun with a small silencer at the end. Enormous shockwave every time it fires, with a little psew

Comedy option: dynamite gun cruiser, like the USS Vesuvius.

What is a dynamite gun, you ask? A huge air-powered dynamite barrel launcher. A gigantic potato gun with explosive projectile. No gunpowder, no flash, no roar.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

madeintaipei posted:

Comedy option: dynamite gun cruiser, like the USS Vesuvius.

What is a dynamite gun, you ask? A huge air-powered dynamite barrel launcher. A gigantic potato gun with explosive projectile. No gunpowder, no flash, no roar.

if this is added to the game it would also mean the addition of a good THOOMP sound so it's got my vote :v:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Let's also have a non-stealth submarine game. Instead of using dishonorable sneak-attacks with torpedoes you surface in front of the target, raise the flag, and open up with your 12" batteries.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

The Lone Badger posted:

Let's also have a non-stealth submarine game. Instead of using dishonorable sneak-attacks with torpedoes you surface in front of the target, raise the flag, and open up with your 12" batteries.

Gotta watch Blue Noah again.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

FreshFeesh posted:

The Let’s Game it Out guy has a whole YouTube series about messing with the cooking simulator games and what the physics engine will let you get away with

Thank you very much for mentioning him, I'm loving his videos.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The Lone Badger posted:

Can I interest you in a Submarine Cruiser?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

biosterous posted:

if this is added to the game it would also mean the addition of a good THOOMP sound so it's got my vote :v:

I went and checked the SFX site I have a subscription to for potato gun sounds, but all I could find was foley involving actual potatoes :(

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
There was a gag on Black Sails where pirates are trying to bring back a captured Spanish warship into a British port without getting sunk by harbor defense. One of the crew suggests striking the flag as they approach and the captain replies to the effect of "I would be less worried about them noticing the flag and more worried about them noticing gigantic red crosses on the front of the sails." That's how I imagine naval stealth. Stick some Groucho glasses on the Nimitz, nobody will recognize it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Velocity Raptor posted:

There was a similar troll added to Buckle Up and Drive. On the maps, among the various billboards you see while driving, occasionally the billboard will have a LGBT+ pride flag. Expecting this wouldn't sit well with some people, the dev added a "Pride Flag Billboard Toggle" option to the settings. Except, switching it doesn't remove the pride flags. It makes EVERY billboard have a pride flag.

https://www.glitched.online/buckle-up-and-drive-dev-trolls-homophobes-by-adding-pride-flag-toggle-that-does-the-opposite-of-what-it-says/

Only thing I would have changed would be to make the pride flags and toggle not appear until at least two hours of gameplay have passed.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Agents are GO! posted:

Only thing I would have changed would be to make the pride flags and toggle not appear until at least two hours of gameplay have passed.

:drat: That's good

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

christmas boots posted:

In Black Flag I enjoy that the protagonist spends about 75% of the game trying not to learn anything about the main plot (except about the thing that everyone's after) because it has nothing do with being a pirate and getting rich.

It was overpowered but Black Flag also had a set of armor that you could earn that would automatically "parry" gunshots killing the person who shot at you.

It was very fun

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Nameless Pete posted:

Stick some Groucho glasses on the Nimitz, nobody will recognize it.

Can't lock onto the enemy ship sir, the targeting computer doesn't recognize it!

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Dewgy posted:

While I respect your creative vision, I do have an important thing to note:

Giant silencers for your ship guns would be extremely funny.

If you are gonna add silencers you gotta add loudeners too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WKM9GDuX0Y

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

I kept having people try to convince me to add a stealth section to my game about arcade naval combat. This is my response:

Nameless Pete posted:

There was a gag on Black Sails where pirates are trying to bring back a captured Spanish warship into a British port without getting sunk by harbor defense. One of the crew suggests striking the flag as they approach and the captain replies to the effect of "I would be less worried about them noticing the flag and more worried about them noticing gigantic red crosses on the front of the sails." That's how I imagine naval stealth. Stick some Groucho glasses on the Nimitz, nobody will recognize it.
Stealth section solved :colbert:. Groucho glasses on the sails and bow of the ship.
Your base Stealth stat is 0, the more you put on there the more Stealth xx% bonus you get.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Stuff like Q-ships and disguising warships as civilian vessels or other classes had absolutely been a thing. That said, in a game those would play nothing like a stealth section and at best be context dependent setups.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Randalor posted:

How do you have a stealth section in a game about naval combat?

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Weird thing to emptyquote but alright

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

christmas boots posted:

I find this very relatable. Being a pirate is much more entertaining than trying to unravel an AssCreed game plot.

On a similar note, I have no clue what the actual storyline of Skyrim is, because whenever I start a game I immediately gently caress off into the woods as soon as I get the first shout.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Der-Wreck posted:

Weird thing to emptyquote but alright

It's a stealth ship, Google dazzle camo

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

sebmojo posted:

It's a stealth ship, Google dazzle camo

I did but Google image search just returns a bunch of photos of open ocean.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Randalor posted:

I did but Google image search just returns a bunch of photos of open ocean.

Look behind u :smuggo: that ship has been there for days, awaiting it's chance

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

heh, nice joke, but this is pyf, where factual accuracy is more important - dazzle camo only works in motion

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I never understood why they didn't just make the ships out of mirrors in the first place.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

I went and checked the SFX site I have a subscription to for potato gun sounds, but all I could find was foley involving actual potatoes :(

https://www.soundsnap.com/mechanism_grenadelauncheroomphtonal_001_wav

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Croccers posted:

Stealth section solved :colbert:. Groucho glasses on the sails and bow of the ship.
Your base Stealth stat is 0, the more you put on there the more Stealth xx% bonus you get.

Ahh, I see! And then you have to pass a series of checkpoints manned by enemy ships, and if they detect you they arrest you and you go to ship jail.

Aha, excellent! Thank you!

Zero_Grade posted:

On a similar note, I have no clue what the actual storyline of Skyrim is, because whenever I start a game I immediately gently caress off into the woods as soon as I get the first shout.

I only played Skyrim once, but this was my experience. I had a pretty fun time just wandering around and doing whatever, and then as soon as I decided "you know, I'd like to have access to the full-power physics shout" and started trying to do the main question, my interest in the game dropped off a cliff.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ahh, I see! And then you have to pass a series of checkpoints manned by enemy ships, and if they detect you they arrest you and you go to ship jail.

What about a stealth mission where you put fog machines on the sides of your ship, so you look like a fog bank, and you can add blue or green torches to your ship so the enemies think you're a ~spoooooooooky~ ghost ship.

I guess what I'm saying is make an option mission where it's less a stealth mission and more an episode of Scooby-Doo where you play dress up as the ghost of the week.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Randalor posted:

I guess what I'm saying is make an option mission where it's less a stealth mission and more an episode of Scooby-Doo where you play dress up as the ghost of the week.
Has there been a Hitman level set in a haunted house?

Cause if not what have they even been doing

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

heh, nice joke, but this is pyf, where factual accuracy is more important - dazzle camo only works in motion

Never stop scrolling

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

My Lovely Horse posted:

Has there been a Hitman level set in a haunted house?

Cause if not what have they even been doing

there's a target in one mission you can lure out by making it appear that the ghost of his mom is haunting his mansion, so 47 is the haunter i guess

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

0 times xx% is still 0
I do like the idea of your ship going to jail though. You can't waterboard a ship, so would you like... dirt bury them then?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Well some of the checkpoints require ship stealth, some of them involve boxing the other ships, some of them involve fooling the other ships into thinking that you're selling some fine leather jackets.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

Croccers posted:

0 times xx% is still 0
I do like the idea of your ship going to jail though. You can't waterboard a ship, so would you like... dirt bury them then?

You said 'the more Stealth xx% bonus you get' which doesnt have to mean multiplication :hehe:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Croccers posted:

0 times xx% is still 0

Wedge them sideways in the Suez Canal and make them think about what they've done. This of course raises the aggro of all the other ships

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Joey Freshwater posted:

Wedge them sideways in the Suez Canal and make them think about what they've done. This of course raises the aggro of all the other ships

I have a mission set at the southern exit of the Suez Canal that's completely littered with derelict cargo ships. (And then there's enemy ships hiding amongst the wreckage, and an airstrip built on the back of one of the ships) I didn't think that the meme value of actually wedging a ship in the canal would hold up long-term, but that's my little nod to the event.