Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Starsfan posted:

The seats are half empty even for the game Canada is playing in? That's legitimately surprising..

Maybe everyone else is finally starting to care as little about the world juniors as I do :)

The game starting at 4pm probably had something to do with it.

Edmonton’s just not a hockey town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Girouxs transformation into Shoresy is nearly complete

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

It is novel, but also "taking the stanley cup to the temple of worship" is maybe the furthest thing from contradicting "pretty lame" conceptually possible.

OTOH it'll make Don Cherry and his dumbass fans angry

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

The Dirty Burger posted:

Girouxs transformation into Shoresy is nearly complete

Completely forgot he was on the Sens. Re-pumped for next year all over again. DeBrincat-Stutzle-Giroux's gonna be real good.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How bad is life in Ottawa that an NHL player can't find ice in the summer?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

bub spank posted:

Completely forgot he was on the Sens. Re-pumped for next year all over again. DeBrincat-Stutzle-Giroux's gonna be real good.

Oh poo poo, it is gonna be good isn't it.

And they got rid of Murray.

The senators are going to make the playoffs.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Powershift posted:

Oh poo poo, it is gonna be good isn't it.

And they got rid of Murray.

The senators are going to make the playoffs.

Yeah besides the 2018 Hockey Canada case looming over Batherson and Formenton there’s a lot to be excited about for next year. Top 6 is nasty and I really like Formenton-Pinto-Joseph as a 3rd line, that’s a lot of speed

Obviously still need a RD, and with Weegar and Marino both moved already I hope Pierre doesn’t sell the farm for Chychrun. Guy has missed 25-30 games every season and the asking price is insane

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The Senators got a lot better but they were 30 points out of the playoffs last year. I don't know if Giroux + Debrincat + young guys being one year old suddenly makes up that entire gap. I think the exact same 8 teams from the East will make the playoffs - but Boston, Pittsburgh, and Washington will be out the door soon.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It is impossible to predict which, and it's not super likely for any individual one of them, but it is aggregately likely that at least one of Bruins/Pens/Caps collapses into the abyss this season.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Eric the Mauve posted:

It is impossible to predict which, and it's not super likely for any individual one of them, but it is aggregately likely that at least one of Bruins/Pens/Caps collapses into the abyss this season.

Yeah I thought so too, but I'm not as sure anymore. They all did a pretty good job mitigating the problems they have. They're all OLD teams, but I still think they're probably still better than the up-and-coming teams in the East. This year. Next year and beyond I think one or all of them are going to get bumped out.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

They've gotten thin as well as old, it just takes two injuries to plunge any of them into darkness. Probably the Pens/Caps more so though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah I thought so too, but I'm not as sure anymore. They all did a pretty good job mitigating the problems they have. They're all OLD teams, but I still think they're probably still better than the up-and-coming teams in the East. This year. Next year and beyond I think one or all of them are going to get bumped out.

The Pens and Bruins have some young stars which might help forestall collapses a little bit. Guentzel and Pastrnak could keep those teams competitive even as their older stars start fading. The Pens also have either the best or at worst second best coach in the league (I'd only maybe take Cooper over him, and I'm not even sure if I would do that). Pens had Crosby and Malkin missing for substantial chunks of last year and they still just plodded right along being competitive or even outright dominating teams at times.

Still, it's a year by year thing at this point and sooner or later father time will hit hard enough that even Sullivan can't out coach it.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Well, depends on if Pastrnak even re-signs with Boston. Personally I'm of the opinion that they should just give him as much money as he asks for, but you never know. He's never indicated that he wants to go somewhere else, McAvoy just signed a big deal, and they've been bringing in his buddies (Zacha, Krejci), so we'll see. Pastrnak, McAvoy, and Swayman I can imagine keeping the team somewhat relevant and at least on the playoff bubble. Just McAvoy and Swayman, I don't know. I guess it would depend on what they got for Pastrnak in a trade - and they'd absolutely have to trade him, they can't let him walk for nothing.

It feels like Washington and Pittsburgh don't have as much young talent on the way, but they're going to keep going for it (as they should) as long as Ovechkin and Crosby are in the NHL and effective.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 14, 2022

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Jamwad Hilder posted:

the sens were sank early with horrendous goaltending and injuries, particularly chabot and batherson missing tons of time. They will be competitive this year.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

my morning jackass posted:

the sens were sank early with horrendous goaltending and injuries, particularly chabot and batherson missing tons of time. They will be competitive this year.

Yeah I definitely think they'll be better and will hang around most of the season, I'm just not sure that they're "15+ more wins" better, which is about what it'd take to make them a playoff team. Especially considering the division they're in. That's an enormous amount of improvement that generally doesn't happen in a single offseason.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Isn’t McAvoy out until xmas after shoulder surgery? Is the Bruins D good enough to stay in the race without him playing 22mins+ a game

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Dirty Burger posted:

Isn’t McAvoy out until xmas after shoulder surgery? Is the Bruins D good enough to stay in the race without him playing 22mins+ a game

October will be fine.

They may not win more than 3 games in November.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

The Dirty Burger posted:

Yea, they're missing McAvoy and Marchand for the first bit of the season. They should be ok though even missing those two. Certainly at least good enough to tread water.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
If Kuemper doesn't work out, I think the Caps would be the ones to fall out. They were the 8 seed only after an improbably good start to the season last year where they were No. 2 in the Metro at the holiday break. The second half looked a lot more like the kind of bubble team they are.

Who knows though, it's not hard to see Strome being better than 2021 Backstrom. If the scotch tape holding the D together holds...

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
https://twitter.com/user/status/1558936651363123200

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

A true thorn in the side of management.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
did he write that "sign" on the inside of a case of Lucky Lager or what

ps can we start off season beer chat yet? I'm in northern BC again for the month so i'm on the river pounding Kokanee like you wouldn't fuckin believe

mennoknight fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 15, 2022

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

mennoknight posted:

did he write that "sign" on the inside of a case of Lucky Lager or what

ps can we start off season beer chat yet? I'm in northern BC again for the month so i'm on the river pounding Kokanee like you wouldn't fuckin believe

You should pound the beer and eat the fish. I hope this isn't just a symptom of CFFD (Calgary Flames Fan Disorder) which is brought on by being a Flames fan for too long. I have very little luck with the fishing lately, but beer like I'm the Washington Capitals on parade day anyway.

That dude is a star for that sign.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Jhet posted:

You should pound the beer and eat the fish. I hope this isn't just a symptom of CFFD (Calgary Flames Fan Disorder) which is brought on by being a Flames fan for too long. I have very little luck with the fishing lately, but beer like I'm the Washington Capitals on parade day anyway.

That dude is a star for that sign.

I've caught 7 humpies so far but no coho. gotta fill that freezer!

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I saw someone mention the other day how Pavelski was nearly a PPG this season in his age-37 season. I took a look at his H-R page, and man, he has had a much better career than I would have guessed. He's been consistently productive his entire career. Can possibly finish with ~450 goals and ~1000 points. Had some Selke trophy votes most seasons. Had some top-10 goal/point finishes.

However, I feel like since San Jose has such a reputation for losing, he'll probably never even come close to the Hall. Which is a funny reputation since they had 3 Conference Finals trips, and a Cup final during Pavelski's tenure, but if you don't win the big one, no one cares.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Honestly, I think the time zone hurts Sharks players too. Nobody really watches them at all except those horrible Alberta people that hate them.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hahahaha that rules

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Twin Cinema posted:

I saw someone mention the other day how Pavelski was nearly a PPG this season in his age-37 season. I took a look at his H-R page, and man, he has had a much better career than I would have guessed. He's been consistently productive his entire career. Can possibly finish with ~450 goals and ~1000 points. Had some Selke trophy votes most seasons. Had some top-10 goal/point finishes.

However, I feel like since San Jose has such a reputation for losing, he'll probably never even come close to the Hall. Which is a funny reputation since they had 3 Conference Finals trips, and a Cup final during Pavelski's tenure, but if you don't win the big one, no one cares.

I don't think he's a Hall of Famer player but he comes respectably quite close. There was never a time when he was even a top 20 player in the league. He's just been consistently excellent for a long time.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Honestly, I think the time zone hurts Sharks players too. Nobody really watches them at all except those horrible Alberta people that hate them.
I don't really see that bearing out in either awards voting or Hall of Fame consideration.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I'll always remember Pavs fondly for that U.S. men's team that almost did the thing if not for Sidney Crosby being inhuman. I believe he kept the play alive and helped set up Parise's goal.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Thank goodness no one east of Alberta knows who Corey Perry was and he won't get into the HoF, real bullet dodged there.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Thank goodness no one east of Alberta knows who Corey Perry was and he won't get into the HoF, real bullet dodged there.

He’s that guy who keeps losing in the Cup Finals.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pavelski is good but people were griping about Marleau getting hall mentions and Pavelski didn't even best his peaks and unless he puts up 3 more 20 goal seasons won't match his longevity

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Marleau is going to get in because of the games played and the 560-odd goals but he really shouldn't. He is not a Hall of Fame player and neither is Pavelski.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Yeah, I should have put that I don't actually think Pavelski is a HHOFer. I don't mind players making it that are consistent, like Gartner, but they also have to have pretty gaudy totals to match that consistency.

e: I say "don't mind" as if players making the HHOF effects my day-to-day life somehow.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Yeah there is a valid argument on the other side of it, which is that the sheer difficulty and impressiveness and overall value of a player being consistently very good for a really long time is enough to be in the Hall and while I understand that point, I don't think I agree with it.

But playing 1,800 games in the league and being a good player for most.of it is rare and I would not die on this hill at all if Marleau got in.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think Joe Pavelski has HHOF caliber career numbers, but he doesn't have anything else going on for him beyond an Olympic silver.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

fawning deference posted:

Yeah there is a valid argument on the other side of it, which is that the sheer difficulty and impressiveness and overall value of a player being consistently very good for a really long time is enough to be in the Hall and while I understand that point, I don't think I agree with it.

But playing 1,800 games in the league and being a good player for most.of it is rare and I would not die on this hill at all if Marleau got in.

It's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall Of Being The Very Best At Hockey.

Being great and playing a ton of games should make you famous.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I feel like Marleau is plenty famous, but perhaps that just comes with the territory when you play as long as he has and aren't just a plugger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Please do not put Marleau in the HHOF. He broke 80 points twice in 23 seasons. His only exemplary skills were not getting injured too often and always being sufficiently useful to avoid being out of the league entirely.

His highest individual honour was a 3rd place finish for the Lady Byng in 2006.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 16, 2022