Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Ugh thank you for being the voice of reason. Also, if giving them another machine solves the problem they were having and you get their unit back and it can quickly go back out with someone else as their 'new machine', in what way is this causing serious loss?

The process you described, I've had to deal with as a user before and it drives me bonkers. It's just weirdly controlling and punitive to users, assuming right out the gate the machine is fine and the issue is the user is doing something wrong to it, that even giving it attention is wasted time for IT, and thus that users need to be disincentived from asking for help. And so, the system is made needlessly complex to make it harder for users to get help. What the fuuuuck

Lol, when we got bought and they tried to force this loaner process on us, my boss was like "gently caress no, that process is dumb as hell, we'll keep doing it our way". Now like two years later we've convinced management that this is how things should be done and also that the subcontractor that's been in charge of procurement orders for PCs is dog poo poo.

They once sent us 20 MacBooks and it took two weeks of back and forth before they realized that those were meant for a school district on the other side of the country. Now they just send us "cleaned and repaired" PCs that are full of bugs and don't actually work ( or were declared 'unrepairable' but work fine, lol).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think that given thread history I should ask: computer bugs or live bugs?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

goatface posted:

Yeah, but chemo drugs.

Drug dealers are drug dealers are drug dealers are drug dealers through and through. Period. Never gonna work in that section of the manufacturing industry ever again, I'd prefer not to know anymore.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I got a brand new laptop over a year ago when my old one stopped working. In the time since they shipped a replacement, the old one started working again and I'm still using it now. No one has asked about the old laptop, the "depot" that sent it to me is unreachable, the only person who called from there to arrange delivery appears to have called me with a personal cell that no longer works and despite asking my manager probably 50 times, I've never gotten any response as to what I should do. I guess I got myself a brand new Lenovo and a dock 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

TheSpartacus posted:

Sounds like you need a table of specific gravities that say "if <0.9, use EtOh, 0.9 to 1.1, use water, >1.1 use PEG" or something similar. Then you point to the SOP and tell your clients it's procedure and never budge.

If it's chemo drugs wouldn't zima be suitable?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

MrQwerty posted:

because they're a bunch of loving idiots, had to deal with water runs failing to do anything real as far as data on poo poo both thicker and thinner than water once it got to actual engineering runs

edit:also throwing away a shitload of PEG or medical-grade ethanol is expensive and hazardous and you can get the customer to sign off on water

lmao I'm nowhere near being an engineer and my first thought was "why did they not test it with VG?"

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

AceClown posted:

lmao I'm nowhere near being an engineer and my first thought was "why did they not test it with VG?"

there's strict approval protocol for what you can and can not bring into a grade a aseptic cleanroom or adjacent compounding cleanroom, it's a real motherfucking mess and a half to make any kind of change request because it has to be approved by the company, the customer, and the regulatory agency/agencies that are going to be covering the product. So, say it's a controlled substance (worked on those) that's going to be sold in the US, Europe and Turkey: that would be the executive board of the plant, the customer (Merck, Pfizer, etc.), DEA, FDA, EMA and Turkish FDA all saying, "yeah we don't think introducing VG into the cleanroom for an engineering run will compromise the integrity of the product or the cleanroom." Then since it's not PEG there has to be another cleaning protocol for wash & prep and they have to validate that since it's being done on equipment that touches active product that goes into people's bodies, etc.

Or you can just do a water run and call it good because once there's $5 million worth of compounded drug in a room and the company filling it is making $250k off a successful fill, nobody gives a gently caress about the people in New Mexico in the room with it, time is money bro.

Needless to say, that job was a lot of sitting around for 6-9 hours of a 12 hour shift then frantically piling into a cleanroom at the end of the shift.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 11, 2022

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

Dumb poo poo my work did is succumb to the same problems leading to all the tech layoffs happening, getting my rear end cut after 6 years of service. We had the somewhat unique position of succeeding massively because of covid and it was assumed the surge would continue for another 1-2 years but whoopsie doodle I guess not. I guess they wanted to shitcan people who knew the pre-covid world so they could quietly forget all the dot com trappings that used to exist, I dunno. I have another job lined up but man nothing beats that new success smell, beer taps on every floor and hipster snacks and drinks and go-karts and slides, it’s stupid but it adds up to a pretty cool place to work. Not anymore it seems.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

"No one wants to work!"

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

evilpicard posted:

"No one wants to work!"

Welp, school work so back in from holiday soon.

A couple of months ago there was a massive quitfiring spree, which the management saw as "cleaning house".
They did indeed remove almost all the malcontents. Unfortunately, most of them were only malcontents because of the management style, so ???
Anyway, we now have a workplace largely cleansed of stuff like opinions, initiative, and talent. In before "so you fit right in lol".

Except, apparently a bunch of the replacements have either not shown up, turned out to have significantly lied on their CV, shown up and noped out, or covid related issues have meant thy couldn't do the needful.

Who could possibly have predicted this shocking twist?

There will, of course, be an additional shocking twist in a couple of months when, among those new recruits who do actually show up, there turn out to be individuals harbouring opinions, initiative, or talent.
Those treacherous fiends.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Every year around this time, the leadership makes a big deal about having a "Mid-year update" so they can pretend like they're being transparent (While transparently sucking their own dicks) and taking our concerns seriously with a live Q&A where "anyone" is allowed to ask a question. My team always helps set up the A/V equipment for it, so we get to learn snippets of what the plan is, even as lowly computer janitors.

This year, they realized there's only two questions that are going to be asked: "Are you going to keep trying to force us to come into the office even if we work better from home?" "Are you going to to stop saying significant raises are on the horizon and start giving those raises?" So of course they've already taken those concerns into account and will have solid plans to present wo the inquiring minds of their valued stafPHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

They're just flat dropping the Q&A this year, because either they don't have answers to the two things that ranked highest on that dumbass survey they sent or the answers they have will result in them being ripped apart like a zombie movie.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cthulu Carl posted:

Every year around this time, the leadership makes a big deal about having a "Mid-year update" so they can pretend like they're being transparent (While transparently sucking their own dicks) and taking our concerns seriously with a live Q&A where "anyone" is allowed to ask a question. My team always helps set up the A/V equipment for it, so we get to learn snippets of what the plan is, even as lowly computer janitors.

This year, they realized there's only two questions that are going to be asked: "Are you going to keep trying to force us to come into the office even if we work better from home?" "Are you going to to stop saying significant raises are on the horizon and start giving those raises?" So of course they've already taken those concerns into account and will have solid plans to present wo the inquiring minds of their valued stafPHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

They're just flat dropping the Q&A this year, because either they don't have answers to the two things that ranked highest on that dumbass survey they sent or the answers they have will result in them being ripped apart like a zombie movie.

Oh hey, the solution my company did the last time people got too feisty about the fact that they were being somewhat less than truthful!

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
We have these “all hands” Teams meetings updates:
*Every month at a business unit level
*Every quarter at a regional level
They’d always have time at the end to answer questions asked

They used to leave the questions open, you could ask anonymously, you could “thumbs up” questions so there’s be a visual indicator on what people were also wanting answered. For some reason they started moderating questions - I never saw anything inappropriate but they’d tend to ignore or give a brush off to those sort of things, like “what are you doing about remuneration and retention? We’re losing staff every week because we’re not paying market rates” and they’d just do a “we’re addressing this at an executive level and will provide information in future updates”.

The only questions we get to see now are the ones the moderator let’s through, they’re not quite at “how did you get to be so smart and handsome?” but there’s now limited questions about redundancies and pay and those kind of irksome things. I mean there were always kiss asses who asked stuff like
“Would you say your plan for the next quarter is more bold and ambitious or inspirational and bold?” but now that’s all it is.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Someone has assembled a site to auto-generate inspirational LinkedIn messages to post based on your prompts.

It does an incredible job:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Blue Moonlight posted:

Someone has assembled a site to auto-generate inspirational LinkedIn messages to post based on your prompts.

66.6%. Shameful.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Outrail posted:

66.6%. Shameful.

:wrong:

1/3, then 1/3 of the remaining 2/3 (4/9ths)

Only fires ~44% of staff, even more shameful.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Volmarias posted:

If you fired all your staff in one day, what would you do the next day? Need to leave some behind to grind out that work.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Volmarias posted:

Its the same 1/3 of his staff, he's just phoning them back to make sure they understood they are definitely fired because they didnt seem upset enough the first time. Hence firing them again.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The Stephanie McMahon manoeuvre

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

History Comes Inside! posted:

The Stephanie McMahon manoeuvre

SiKboy posted:

Its the same 1/3 of his staff, he's just phoning them back to make sure they understood they are definitely fired because they didnt seem upset enough the first time. Hence firing them again.

Volmarias posted:

Orvin posted:

If you fired all your staff in one day, what would you do the next day? Need to leave some behind to grind out that work.

You're all fired

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Outrail posted:

You're all fired

You know what? Thats fair. I'm okay with that I think, I'd do the same in your position.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
So when the director of a million dollar nonprofit abruptly resigns with 2 weeks notice along with the 2nd or 3rd (probably) highest paid person leave and it's been a week and there's been no news, that's good, right?

Does it help if one of these two was under investigation for harassment and embezzlement and was maybe having a relationship with the other one?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Everything is fine

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

A Stupid Baby posted:

So when the director of a million dollar nonprofit abruptly resigns with 2 weeks notice along with the 2nd or 3rd (probably) highest paid person leave and it's been a week and there's been no news, that's good, right?

Does it help if one of these two was under investigation for harassment and embezzlement and was maybe having a relationship with the other one?

Don't sweat it too much, but make sure you go into the office in the next few days and put stickers with your name written on them on all the good poo poo to let everyone else know you've called dibs.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

You’ll probably be fine, the FBI and IRS are busy with other stuff right now.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

A Stupid Baby posted:

Are you just a non profit or a registered charity?

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

Blue Moonlight posted:

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

Outrail posted:

Are you just a non profit or a registered charity?

Not sure, probably just a nonprofit. It used to be a function of the city here, but got spun off into a nonprofit rumor goes so they could close it as it was "losing money" (aka it was being spent on something that didn't have a fiscal return). It's actually doing really well financially now so I doubt they're going to use this as an excuse, and my current job does have to be done for the place to operate.. so hopefully our department will be okay. The city still is technically the employer of some of the people that work here so that's who's doing the investigating, it isn't at the level of a FBI/IRS thing... yet, or that we know of anyway.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

They're doing the "mid-year update" (aka Executive Suckfest 2022) and they just loving had an ad. No "Oh hey, we have a new ad and you get a sneak peek!" One exec wrapped up, walked off the stage, the boom commercial.

Also one exec said we're going to "disrupt the disruptors".

We're getting into NFTs.

Most of the (pre-screened) questions are about wanting more pay. I'm sure they'll be ignored conveniently.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Cthulu Carl posted:

They're doing the "mid-year update" (aka Executive Suckfest 2022) and they just loving had an ad. No "Oh hey, we have a new ad and you get a sneak peek!" One exec wrapped up, walked off the stage, the boom commercial.

We're getting into NFTs.

Most of the (pre-screened) questions are about wanting more pay. I'm sure they'll be ignored conveniently.

You're getting raises, but will be paid in apes.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

McGavin posted:

You're getting raises, but will be paid in apes.

Last time we got a "thank you" from the CEO, it was a couple $25 gift cards for Kroger and Graeter's that were clearly left over from some other event, lol.

The COO (who at the last event like this said "you should feel blessed that we bought you") got on stage and everyone started spamming the thimb's down emoji on the reaction board thing they decided to add to the stream

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Was 🖕 not an option?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

CFO decides to spend at least 15-20 minutes each corporate sprit day telling us how important our physical appearance is, as a group of accounting people who never see customers, ever.

He gave an email saying we didn't need to wear ties today, then ensured he was the only one wearing a tie while giving this speech. Power move.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Cthulu Carl posted:

We're getting into NFTs.

Abort! Aboooooooooooport!!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Agents are GO! posted:

Was 🖕 not an option?

It doesn't seem to be available in our teams install.

Today we had a second meeting about a recent mandate requiring us back into the office for a % of each week, this time with my group head, who is chair of the division's accommodation committee.

While visibly scowling: "I was told about this 5 minutes before you were"

"There are currently just enough desks for everyone to be in the required amount of time. You'll have to reserve your desk in advance, so be prepared to snipe spots when they become available if you don't want to work Friday."
~"What about the people who already work in the office full time and so take up extra desk-hours?"
~~"We don't know."
~~~"If the main benefit is for people to have face to face meetings and training, how will that interact with the reservation system?"
~~~~"We don't know."

"If someone books a slot and just doesn't show up in the office, how will anyone know?"
~"We don't know."

"There's a new CEO starting in a month or two, are they going to change this policy again?"
~"Quite possibly."
~~"So why are we doing this just before they arrive?'
~~~"I have no idea."

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Got a meeting in 4 hours where it looks like the executives are going to mandate 2 days a week in office because of the usual bullshit collaboration blah blah blah socialization blah blah. Can’t wait to see us bleed more people.

I wonder if I can get a doctor’s not saying I have a severe allergic reaction to people and offices.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ChickenDoodle posted:

I wonder if I can get a doctor’s not saying I have a severe allergic reaction to people and offices.
"I have COVID" buys you a couple weeks to look for a new job.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

I’m actually in an interesting spot with that. I like where I work, and there is a position opening that I have been wanting for a while. I feel like I wouldn’t mind AS much if I was doing that job. The one I am doing now, oh gently caress yeah I would be mad as poo poo going back to the office.

Either way I just updated my resume for that position so I’m good to go if I need to bail :j:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I was informed I’m losing my office because we are moving to a hotel-desk system. However, that is also part of the “just come into the office for our team meeting once a week” so I can’t complain too much.