Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

All roads lead to Julio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Will tarnish my father's reputation for cash

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/ShowtimeBoxing/status/1553586490361405440?t=ZE6sHT_8sJKdI4eW-MuTcg&s=19

https://twitter.com/ShowtimeBoxing/status/1553592008383631360?t=s-jmhBD3XL3nLaFEQfoTbw&s=19

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lmao at the 114-114, what the gently caress

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Am I asking for too much for some boxer to beat Jake Paul's rear end?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxing/hasim-rahman-jake-paul-fight-27626023

quote:

But that didn't stop Rahman Jr from saying: "I told the truth. I didn’t pull out with some bullshit 'my mind's not right for boxing' excuse. You been soft boy."

Me knowing I would miss weight by 15lbs and asking the contract to be changed? That's just the truth.
You pulling out cuz of your mental health? Absolutely soft, no excuses.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Garcia/Benavidez was boring as gently caress.

Garcia looked ok. He's still a B+ fighter at his core. He could probably hang with/potentially beat guys like Liam Smith, Tim Tszyu, etc. Don't think he could beat the elite of the division.

I'd like to see him fight Brian Castano to give us a real litmus test of his potential at the division.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Garcia/Benavidez was boring as gently caress.

Garcia looked ok. He's still a B+ fighter at his core. He could probably hang with/potentially beat guys like Liam Smith, Tim Tszyu, etc. Don't think he could beat the elite of the division.

I'd like to see him fight Brian Castano to give us a real litmus test of his potential at the division.

Benavidez has talent but he's a one gear kind of guy with no ability to adjust. Danny pretty much got to fight his fight comfortably for twelve rounds. Hard to get a gauge on where he stacks up in the weight class, considering Jose moved up in weight too.

I've got a lot of respect for Danny as a fighter and I was moved by his post fight interview, where he broke down and then basically owned the fact that he was breaking down on live TV. That's not at all easy to do and it takes a lot of courage to express those kinds of emotions in public instead of retreating from them.

It was also interesting to hear that he's still in boxing not for money but out of love for the game and a personal need to fight. Makes me appreciate his career a lot more in retrospect. Garcia's not an all time great or anything but he fought a lot of top tier opponents and was always competitive even in his losses.

IMO the 154 lb division is pretty weak and full of come-forward guys that Danny can eat up provided he brought some power up with him. The only guy there I'd pick outright to beat him is Charlo.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
In heavyweight news:

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1554843701700165634?s=20&t=xGfk6F9bFV73mBiArTtMiA

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Joyce will end Parker’s run as a top contender in the division.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZInhMWq08s

lol take the L jake

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

That is sparring footage from before when jake fought Nate Robinson.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What kind of move is grabbing the jab in both hands? Just a boast when you're convinced they're not planning any other punch? It makes sense in kickboxing to grab their lock at range, but a cross is right there.

The size difference alone seemed to be a huge problem to Jake, who had reasonable fundamentals but not the speed to overcome it.

Let them fight I say.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Vergil Ortiz isn't at all ready for Crawford or Spence-and he probably will be moved far away from Boots Ennis for many years-but there isn't another welterweight who I would consider a toss up to beat him

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Until we get Hasim Rahman Jr vs Evan Holyfield I guess this is the best we can do

https://twitter.com/DAZNBoxing/status/1557095080808308736

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

https://www.boxingscene.com/wilder-helenius-on-october-15-barclays-center-headline-fox-sports-ppv--168234

quote:

BoxingScene.com has learned Wilder is likely to box Robert Helenius on October 15 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn in what would be the former WBC heavyweight champion’s first fight in more than a year. Wilder-Helenius is expected to headline a FOX Sports Pay-Per-View show 53 weeks after Wilder suffered an 11th-round knockout loss to Tyson Fury in the thrilling third fight of their trilogy.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
So we have Anthony Joshua vs Oleksandr Usyk 2, Joe Joyce vs Joseph Parker, Deontay Wilder vs Robert Helenius, Andy Ruiz vs Luis Ortiz, and Frank Sanchez returning vs an opponent TBD this year. Also Fury claiming he wants to fight Dereck Chisora by the end of the year. Very active/relevant heavyweight division!

Also I don't really understand the Benn/Eubank fight at all, other than the obvious dad connection. Eubank is a former super middleweight and Benn is an average sized welterweight. Total lose/lose for Eubank, and if Benn wins, he may struggle to get back down properly to 147, and he's too small IMO to be competing at 154.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

And Hrgovic vs Zhang is on the Usyk/Joshua undercard. It is a good second half of 2022 for heavyweight boxing.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

LLCoolJD posted:

And Hrgovic vs Zhang is on the Usyk/Joshua undercard. It is a good second half of 2022 for heavyweight boxing.

Hrgovic/Zhang is for an IBF mandatory spot, and theoretically Joyce/Parker is for the WBO mandatory spot. Somehow Deontay Wilder is still rated #1 by the WBC despite losing twice in a row, so I would hope the Joyce (WBC #2) / Parker (WBC #3) winner is also made WBC #1/mandatory.

Not sure, as usual, what is going on with the WBA.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Hrgovic/Zhang is for an IBF mandatory spot, and theoretically Joyce/Parker is for the WBO mandatory spot. Somehow Deontay Wilder is still rated #1 by the WBC despite losing twice in a row, so I would hope the Joyce (WBC #2) / Parker (WBC #3) winner is also made WBC #1/mandatory.

Not sure, as usual, what is going on with the WBA.

Dubois became their world champ beating Trevor Bryan (and getting stiffed by Don King). Frank Warren will probably hold on for dear life and Dubois will fight nobodies for a few years and eventually get cashed out

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Yeah, I've never really been clear on the WBA's policy of mandatories - if it's the WBA regular titleholder or just their #1 contender. I guess with the WBA now (thankfully) trying to do away with the WBA regular title, it makes sense that Dubois is the mandatory. Of course, Dubois is years away from practically being ready for a shot at the likes of Tyson Fury, Oleksandr Usyk, etc., and might never be.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Also I don't really understand the Benn/Eubank fight at all, other than the obvious dad connection.

I think that's enough for the perceived boxing fandom. Gotta wonder how far part in weight two fighters' sons would have to be for some promoter not to try it.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Link is in French but David Lemieux has announced his retirement from boxing at 33 following the murder of his father.

I'll always remember him as one of the best punchers of this era who could never get over the hump to win a world title but someone who boxing fans always wanted to see.

https://www.journaldemontreal.com/2022/08/13/la-retraite-du-guerrier?fbclid=IwAR3roRppvi4E1y51Jbimr_Ng_n05UCqr6ydWPkCG7zLVk1q8WKM2OPKQgmU

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 13, 2022

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/JakeNDaBox/status/1559965235531976708?s=20&t=zqI-zp5lFP3N-Y01pOW76A

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Nice to see Wilder getting back in there. I was half convinced he would retire after the Fury trilogy.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

If Joyce and Wilder win their fights I'd like to see them match up. Not sure about Joyce winning, but I'm quite certain that Helenius won't have the head movement to avoid a big KO.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Just put £10 on AJ at 2 to 1. Seems like a bargain to me...

Who ya got?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

I'm not gambling on it but I pick Usyk. His level of motivation must be through the roof and I am not convinced that AJ is all-in anymore.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm also picking Usyk. The focus right now appears to be how much more improved AJ will be in the rematch, people are sleeping on the improvements Usyk is capable of making too. I don't see AJ winning a decision here and I don't really think he will knock Usyk out either.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I think Joshua knows he's got to go for the stoppage and he ends up walking onto one. Usyk by KO in 7.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Joshua has to go for the early KO. But Usyk knows that and is v clever. I think Usyk is the favourite but Joshua is massive and powerful and just needs a good shot or two

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
I agree that AJ will come out very aggressive- I assume that's why he went to Robert Garcia in the first place and that's been the gameplay they've been working on. I don't have any real conviction for why but for the sake of making the "bold" prediction and say that it works and that he out aggros Usyk for a split decision win but admittedly I'm not really sure enough to put my money where my mouth is

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
what time does the fight start. i missed it was tonight and would like to watch it if its not in the US

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Jose posted:

what time does the fight start. i missed it was tonight and would like to watch it if its not in the US

Ringwalks for the main event are apparently at 10:30 UK Time

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
nice i should be good and drunk by the time the fight starts such that i might not remember the actual fight

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jose posted:

i might not remember the actual fight

alright AJ

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Quizzlefish posted:

Who ya got?

AJ between 7-12. Not sure it'll be as 1 sided as the last, hoping the big man weathers a storm and drops Usyk late.

plus a smaller bet on Usyk on points because I'm a coward.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

This Zhang-Hrgovic fight sure is something.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

rare Magic card l00k posted:

This Zhang-Hrgovic fight sure is something.

Yeah really great fight.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Hope they dry the ring before the main fight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Well if anyone had any doubts about sportswashing this advert settles it