Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

one of my friends has a boy and a girl and they both like building toys. i make it a point to send them both race cars or both star wars spaceships or both hamburger stands or something like that rather than split across gender lines. i've introduced them to plastic models recently and send them both a kamen rider or a gundam to build and it seems to have gone over pretty well with both of them and my friend and his wife have both told me they appreciate not getting the gi joe/barbie dichotomy from me. turns out sometimes i'm not a total jerk after all. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

the only reason to have horns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-GaXa8tSBE

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

id totally grow a pair of animal horns if we had the biotech

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
in 2006, a friend and me made a bet who would learn to play a full song on the guitar fastest.
I've had a guitar for three years now, and that puts me way ahead of my friend.
I still can't play the guitar. it's my left hand, I just don't have the coordination for it. also have zero ear for music. i replaced a string once, though.
my friend has a keyboard that he can't and doesn't play either.

I think whoever dies last is going to win that bet by default

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

EricBauman posted:

in 2006, a friend and me made a bet who would learn to play a full song on the guitar fastest.
I still can't play the guitar. it's my left hand, I just don't have the coordination for it. also have zero ear for music. i replaced a string once, though.

if you gave me a drum set and told me I have a full year to learn the easiest song or you’d kill me, I’d tell you to pull the trigger now because I have absolutely no hand/feet coordination

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i also bought a guitar a little while back. i really should kick my rear end into gear with it (the mixed metaphor is intentional)

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
if you touch computers less you will naturally become better at actually useful skills

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

infernal machines posted:

nothing good has ever come out of a clarinet

:wrong:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbkR_y_QMnw&t=486s

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

mediaphage posted:

id totally grow a pair of animal horns if we had the biotech

ram, deer or ibex?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

rotor posted:

ram, deer or ibex?

comedy moose option

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What are nonbinary instruments?

I'd say electric guitar because it shreds no matter what.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’s incredible to me how many of you learned a band instrument growing up drat

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

EricBauman posted:

i’ve had this conversation with lots of people who just don’t get that I am unco with guitar. it’s like they think if you practice enough then you’ll stop making mistakes

my friends progress when we were kids was just steadily uphill. I pick up things fast but plateau. i like playing but i’ll never be good

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

mobby_6kl posted:

I already went over this. all versions of the saxamaphone are gender neutral

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/yPfEZGL.mp4

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I played clarinet in 5th grade, mostly because 1.) it was small and light to carry to school and 2.) putting it together reminded me of a movie where some dude put a snipe rifle together out of a case :D

I was actually pretty good at it, but my bro made fun of me for playing a girls instrument so i gave it up.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
my middle school band had one male clarinet player, who was also the tallest kid in the school by far. he switched to bass clarinet after 1 year

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Plank Walker posted:

my middle school band had one male clarinet player, who was also the tallest kid in the school by far. he switched to bass clarinet after 1 year

i mostly played bass clarinet too esp in high school and all-state and stuff. i think they’re a blast to play

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

echinopsis posted:

i’ve had this conversation with lots of people who just don’t get that I am unco with guitar. it’s like they think if you practice enough then you’ll stop making mistakes

my friends progress when we were kids was just steadily uphill. I pick up things fast but plateau. i like playing but i’ll never be good

like there are obviously levels of talent but imo actually taking lessons from a good instructor can make the difference for just about anyone

kind of a pain to carve out that much time and effort tho. and good lessons are. expensive ime

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

aw frig aw dang it posted:

cishet people loooove gendering stuff. they can't get enough of it

this drink is for girls, that food is for boys, only men buy this lawnmower brand, women pilot drones like this, etc...

the only useful gendering is in assigning computers to idiots

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad

mediaphage posted:

fun fact: theoretically being a closed tube resonance chamber clarinets (and i guess trumpets etc?) only produce odd harmonics
The original square wave oscillator

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

this drink is for girls, that food is for boys, only men buy this lawnmower brand, women pilot drones like this, etc...

all people like stereotyping and bucketing things, as you just demonstrated. +1 Astute

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Jonny 290 posted:

all people like stereotyping and bucketing things, as you just demonstrated. +1 Astute

hmm yes all lives matter

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

jery should not have got ipad

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
they shouldn't let kids start playing instrument by giving them something that needs a reed. what bs that is

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

hmm yes all lives matter

nah you're being kinda dumb

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Kenny Logins posted:

they shouldn't let kids start playing instrument by giving them something that needs a reed. what bs that is

we started with big-rear end recorders in like first or second grade

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

mobby_6kl posted:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Chris Knight posted:

in my grade 12 music theory class, we would write short pieces and in the class performance the teacher would play a part while the composer observed. I wrote a piece in c# minor, and when he got the score just looked at me and said "what key is this?!" lol. it was super easy to play though.

c# minor is just e major tho?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i won the state fiddling championship for my age group when i was a youth. now i play the computer.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Roosevelt posted:

i won the state fiddling championship for my age group when i was a youth. now i play the computer.

that’s rad

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

wait the fiddling not the computers

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

it’s good for capitalism

the easiest way to create an in group is to create an out group and it’s toxic as gently caress but also easy to make money with

it’s not because cishet people have some fundamentally more broken approach to society, and I resent the notion that because you’re in a privileged majority that you’re fundamentally worse than someone else, you just need to check your privilege and continue to learn and grow and be kind and be compassionate.

disparaging the “other” is toxic for culture

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://twitter.com/veldrin/status/1560834502897070080?s=21&t=06InMTGr9uDBmuWE67Ff0A

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

9_9

lol

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 21, 2022

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

echinopsis posted:

it’s good for capitalism

the easiest way to create an in group is to create an out group and it’s toxic as gently caress but also easy to make money with

it’s not because cishet people have some fundamentally more broken approach to society, and I resent the notion that because you’re in a privileged majority that you’re fundamentally worse than someone else, you just need to check your privilege and continue to learn and grow and be kind and be compassionate.

disparaging the “other” is toxic for culture

echi I think you're a person worth trying to reach and if you'd like to talk to me about this my PMs are open

It seems like I failed to read the room w/ this subforum and made a joke that would have gone over as nothing in most of the spaces I frequent (which are full of other queer folks like myself). So instead of continuing to alienate people here I'd like to drop it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

echi I think you're a person worth trying to reach and if you'd like to talk to me about this my PMs are open

It seems like I failed to read the room w/ this subforum and made a joke that would have gone over as nothing in most of the spaces I frequent (which are full of other queer folks like myself). So instead of continuing to alienate people here I'd like to drop it

its ok we can make jokes in the gay thread

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
apologies if i’ve misread a joke

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

mediaphage posted:

its ok we can make jokes in the gay thread

hell yeah :gaysper:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU