Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I dunno why everyone thinks the special effects guy must’ve killed the snake. It wasn’t a special effect, it was a real snake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Glorious was fun, not what I expected.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

John Yossarian posted:

I just watched Return to Oz for the first time in years, and those wheelers still make me uncomfortable. The 80's was a weird time for kid's movies.

They are absolutely terrifying and just plain wrong, like the child snatcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
A somewhat weird request but can anyone recommend some music similar to Colin Stetson's soundtrack to Color out of space ( besides Stetson's other work of course ).
It has this incredible haunting quality and sends shivers down my spine every time I listen to it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Anyone watching the Vampire flick Day Shift on Netflix. Its honestly not bad.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Hollismason posted:

Anyone watching the Vampire flick Day Shift on Netflix. Its honestly not bad.

I got halfway through the opening action scene, realized I was actually thinking about a recipe I was gonna make on Thursday, rewound 4 minutes but then just took that as a sign I wasn’t into the movie so I stopped.

Does it pick up if I fought on? That first bit seemed very wannabe-Raimi, but not like in a good way, more like a means-tested coporate slurry whats-up-fellow-horror-kids way.

Fully admitting I didn’t actually give it a fair shot.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
return to oz is a horror movie

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

I got halfway through the opening action scene, realized I was actually thinking about a recipe I was gonna make on Thursday, rewound 4 minutes but then just took that as a sign I wasn’t into the movie so I stopped.

Does it pick up if I fought on? That first bit seemed very wannabe-Raimi, but not like in a good way, more like a means-tested coporate slurry whats-up-fellow-horror-kids way.

Fully admitting I didn’t actually give it a fair shot.

Its not bad I mean its a buddy cop formulae horror movie which is pretty good. I like Jamie Foxx and think he's good in it.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
Day Shift is dumb fun though I wouldn’t consider it much of a horror movie. Surprised me by being the better of the two movies from the John Wick guys released this month.

Orphan: First Kill is unsurprisingly inferior to the first movie, but it’s far better than a belated prequel directed by William Brent Bell has any business being

The Innocents (Norwegian horror-drama about kids with supernatural powers) is new on Shudder and very good, though it’s a pretty slow burn

https://youtu.be/hm45yGSwArY

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Day Shift was alright , like its got some good parts, and the action is pretty good. It's alright vampire flick.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Hollismason posted:

Day Shift was alright , like its got some good parts, and the action is pretty good. It's alright vampire flick.

From your recco it’s slowly rising from “yeah I’m good no thanks” to a begrudging “okay maybe I’ll give it a proper day in court”.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's weird they haven't done a big budget reboot of The Wizard Of Oz given how much Hollywood loves reboots these days

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's weird they haven't done a big budget reboot of The Wizard Of Oz given how much Hollywood loves reboots these days

There were those two Oz movies a few years ago that bombed, and then a Wicked movie that's supposed to come out at some point

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

Do 80 year old movies have that kind of cultural clout?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I always wonder how a movie like Orphan: First Kill comes into being.

I actually quite enjoyed the first movie but don't recall it being any kind of hit.

Then not only is there a prequel but it comes years after the original when most people have forgotten it if anyone saw it in the first place.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Can I watch First Kill if I haven't seen/don't remember the other Orphans?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yes, absolutely

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

TOOT BOOT posted:

Sam Raimi directed one for Disney and it made half a billion dollars and was immediately forgotten

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yeah, it's a prequel so it doesn't build on any knowledge you'd need from the first one. It's also significantly better, and I kinda wish I hadn't bothered watching the first one since I found it pretty boring. The second one is a lot campier and Julia Styles kills it.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Sam Raimi directed one for Disney and it made half a billion dollars and was immediately forgotten

There was a window of time there when a Tim Burton Wizard of Oz movie would've been the easiest billion dollars in the world but I think the moment has passed.

Also nobody has had the balls to touch The Wizard of Oz directly, it's always some adjacent "Oz something something" or "Wizard something something" or "Wicked something something" and even if they're hits everyone knows it's not the real poo poo.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Going from one May 1980 horror film to another, is there any way to watch the European cut of The Shining in the US? I'm guessing the answer is to import a Region 2 DVD or :filez:, but I thought I'd check.

One more call for this before I go digging for gold

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Watched MEN and Black Phone last night.

MEN was good, but got too weird for my wife at the end, lol.

Black Phone wasnt incredible, but was enjoyable we cheered at the end when he breaks the Grabbers neck with the phone cord.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

There was a window of time there when a Tim Burton Wizard of Oz movie would've been the easiest billion dollars in the world but I think the moment has passed.

Also nobody has had the balls to touch The Wizard of Oz directly, it's always some adjacent "Oz something something" or "Wizard something something" or "Wicked something something" and even if they're hits everyone knows it's not the real poo poo.
I think part of it is that the original Wizard of Oz has really stayed accessible in a way that not all older films do. I think showing your kid the original for the first time still feels meaningful.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

aren't there like a trillion movels about Oz that have nothing to do with the wizard? I'm okay if they never go back to that well

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
NBC had that program for a bit where it was a serious wizard of oz that was going for a GoT vibe but network television. I feel like the tinman got a blowjob, but i am searching "emerald city blowjob" and "tinman blowjob" and nothing is coming up. Feel like I gave myself a mandela effect somehow.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

That's a hell of a thing to have a false memory of but I hope it's real because holy poo poo.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

NBC had that program for a bit where it was a serious wizard of oz that was going for a GoT vibe but network television. I feel like the tinman got a blowjob, but i am searching "emerald city blowjob" and "tinman blowjob" and nothing is coming up. Feel like I gave myself a mandela effect somehow.

There was a 2007 TV series called "Tin Man" which I barely remember, but it was a re-imagining of the story and had a darker tone to it. I honestly don't remember that specific detail though!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Snooze Cruise posted:

I picture it like drinking directly from the faucet

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I think the Raimi film was very much trying to get a taste of that Alice in Wonderland success, but didn't quite hit as big. I don't know why though, to be fair I've not seen Raimi's Oz since it came out but I remember broadly enjoying it whereas Burton's Alice was a profoundly dispiriting experience.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Karloff posted:

I think the Raimi film was very much trying to get a taste of that Alice in Wonderland success, but didn't quite hit as big. I don't know why though, to be fair I've not seen Raimi's Oz since it came out but I remember broadly enjoying it whereas Burton's Alice was a profoundly dispiriting experience.

Tim Burton in general has been a dispiriting experience for a couple decades now.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Anybody remember this one from 1997?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHjyyGWLCT0

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

No, but :lol: that a singular Frankenstein is one of man's most feared predators, considering werewolves and vampires were plural.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Going from one May 1980 horror film to another, is there any way to watch the European cut of The Shining in the US? I'm guessing the answer is to import a Region 2 DVD or :filez:, but I thought I'd check.

I think this is the first time I'd heard of a European cut of The Shining. What got changed compared to the original US release?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Class3KillStorm posted:

I think this is the first time I'd heard of a European cut of The Shining. What got changed compared to the original US release?

it's shorter by a fair amount and has less scenes not set at the hotel (like most of the stuff with Dick Hallorann). Wikipedia has some info on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shining_(film)#European_version. I feel like I saw that version a long time ago (on DVD maybe) but it doesn't seem to be easily available in the US on blu and the UHD only has the original cut.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yep. It's bad!

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Class3KillStorm posted:

It's 25 minutes shorter! Most of the cuts being in the exposition.

What I find kind of hilarious is that while it seems obvious to me that this was a nakedly mercenary decision by Kubrick to produce a more intense audience-pleasing horror film (the fact that it's never been advertised that there's two different versions and there's no clear consensus on which he preferred gives it an air of shame), most reactions I've read tend to fall back on easy stereotypes: namely an assumption Kubrick must have thought Americans were dumber and needed more explaining than their more sophisticated European contemporaries.

I'll never know if I don't see it myself, though! Being a fan of the theatrical cut of Aliens over its extended edition, the idea of a leaner and meaner 'The Shining' definitely appeals to my sensibilities.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
If the Hallorhan stuff is cut that definitely takes something away from the movie though. You need those scenes to build up the expectations in the audience's mind that Hallorhan is actually gonna get to the Overlook and accomplish something.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I watched the Curse of Frankenstein and it was good! After all the sleight of hand scenes where Peter Cushing conveniently covers up most of the severed head, eyes and brain he handles, the reveal of the Creature was pretty intense! Chris Lee in make-up looks pretty horrifying for what I imagined for 1957, and the sped up zoom as he tears off the bandages makes it a great scare.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

davidspackage posted:

I watched the Curse of Frankenstein and it was good! After all the sleight of hand scenes where Peter Cushing conveniently covers up most of the severed head, eyes and brain he handles, the reveal of the Creature was pretty intense! Chris Lee in make-up looks pretty horrifying for what I imagined for 1957, and the sped up zoom as he tears off the bandages makes it a great scare.

curse of frankenstein owns glad you enjoyed it OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Dog_Meat posted:

There was a 2007 TV series called "Tin Man" which I barely remember, but it was a re-imagining of the story and had a darker tone to it. I honestly don't remember that specific detail though!

I remember this was in development hell for a long time and I ended up totally missong it when it came out.