Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

A jargogle posted:

A: "I will do good, with the only skillset I have:

Evil"

can't make an omelette without... *checks notes* torturing a chicken for a few hundred thousand years with MAGICAL NIGHTMARE BEES until it somehow starts making GBS threads out eggs already frappe'd and cooked??????

aight soungs straightforward, let's get to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaskedReader
Aug 14, 2022
Something else that's interesting to consider is that A's influence isn't just contained to the facility, even if his body/mind is. As Wonderlab shows, there are numerous branches elsewhere containing abnormalities that don't have the luxury of 'eternal time looping' or 'memory suppression, all of which follow HQ's protocols on the matter. They'll be 'saved' by the Seed of Light in A's perfect world assuming his plan goes...well, according to plan, of course - But that's another layer of suffering necessary for A's plan to take into account - One that doesn't have the convenient mitigating factors re: memory/time loop/rebirth that the prime facility itself has.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

TheMaskedReader posted:

Something else that's interesting to consider is that A's influence isn't just contained to the facility, even if his body/mind is. As Wonderlab shows, there are numerous branches elsewhere containing abnormalities that don't have the luxury of 'eternal time looping' or 'memory suppression, all of which follow HQ's protocols on the matter. They'll be 'saved' by the Seed of Light in A's perfect world assuming his plan goes...well, according to plan, of course - But that's another layer of suffering necessary for A's plan to take into account - One that doesn't have the convenient mitigating factors re: memory/time loop/rebirth that the prime facility itself has.

On the other hand, the people in those branch offices can only get murdered horribly once, which is probably a blessing all told.

Yveltal
Jul 19, 2022

Tenebrais posted:

On the other hand, the people in those branch offices can only get murdered horribly once, which is probably a blessing all told.

Who's to say though that Hokma didn't have the records for all the employees, not just the ones from the game. Especially since if I remember right, only the facility the game is set in has the Records department.

TheMaskedReader
Aug 14, 2022

Tenebrais posted:

I'm sure that there are a few abnormalities shipped out there that can wind up killing people twice or possibly more, especially with all the Abberations. We know that Alephs are held in those facilities (Nothing Is and Titania), so all their shenanigans are probably valid fears, among other repeat deaths/fates worse then death possible to earn via Abnormality or simply normal City living.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

Yveltal posted:

Who's to say though that Hokma didn't have the records for all the employees, not just the ones from the game. Especially since if I remember right, only the facility the game is set in has the Records department.

given the employee records were there to enable resetting, and the branch offices didn't get resets (otherwise, I don't think Wonderlab would have hit 4th Trumpet the way it did), I think only the main office employees were subject to live-die-live-die-ad-infinitum.

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010

NullBlack posted:

given the employee records were there to enable resetting, and the branch offices didn't get resets (otherwise, I don't think Wonderlab would have hit 4th Trumpet the way it did), I think only the main office employees were subject to live-die-live-die-ad-infinitum.

Yeah, I think I remember someone mentioning that only the main HQ has Records or Extraction.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
It might be mentioned in LobCorp itself, but it's definitely mentioned in WonderLab.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yeah, the branches can have any combination of departments except for Records, Extraction and Architecture. Of course, every branch has at least the Control team, and probably the Research Team and Discipline Team.

TheMaskedReader
Aug 14, 2022

Lord_Magmar posted:

Yeah, the branches can have any combination of departments except for Records, Extraction and Architecture. Of course, every branch has at least the Control team, and probably the Research Team and Discipline Team.

I'd be shocked if the standard combo also didn't include a Safety or Welfare, because for as much as Lob Corp doesn't give a poo poo if their employees die to produce energy, it'd probably hurt productivity if there wasn't some kind of infirmary and/or morgue to handle people whose deaths are no longer profitable, or the aftermath of said 'death to produce energy'.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Going back to WonderLab again, the branch where it takes place doesn't have a Welfare department. Or Central.

TheDoomkitten
Jun 11, 2022

Angela did nothing wrong.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Going back to WonderLab again, the branch where it takes place doesn't have a Welfare department. Or Central.

That's probably because the branch is a lot smaller than HQ. Central isn't needed for an office that is of a reasonable size, and without such a massive inventory and so many different potential points of failure Welfare is also less necessary.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Similarities between Angela and Rei from Evangelion:

-Blue hair in bob cut
-Nonhuman
-Clone/copy of dead lady who is very important to assholish scientist
-Screws over creator ("I'm not your doll" scene)
-Starts out (seemingly) emotionless but becomes more emotional over time

iwfan53
May 11, 2018

Junpei posted:

Similarities between Angela and Rei from Evangelion:

-Blue hair in bob cut
-Nonhuman
-Clone/copy of dead lady who is very important to assholish scientist
-Screws over creator ("I'm not your doll" scene)
-Starts out (seemingly) emotionless but becomes more emotional over time

Works with a red haired female associate with anger issues….

Don’t they also both have somewhat unnaturally pale skin?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

-both schoolgirls

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Does Wellcheers taste like tang

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Hwurmp posted:

-both schoolgirls

Anime Ruina Academy... could do some incredible shitposts set in such a place.

Yveltal
Jul 19, 2022

Quackles posted:

Anime Ruina Academy...

Starring Omni and Chinely, I hope

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
I finally caught up, and juuuuust before we get to the bit I've played through to!

On the A discourse: to A, the ends justified the means. Any and all suffering of the Sefirot and the staff pale in comparison to saving the world. Angela is a machine, and doesn't matter. Ayin will, by hook or by crook, enact Carmen's plan and change the world. And in doing so, allow others to rest in peace and he will die as a sacrifice in order to achieve absolution for his sins.

Of course, it's an intensely flawed plan with giant gaping holes. But it's the plan of a true believer. Of someone who would wipe their own memory countless times in order to make sure it happens, of someone who's willing to torture all their friends to bring it about.

Because the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, and because the world needs saving.

Ayin didn't do it to torture Angela or because he's some mustache twirling villain. He was a fanatic, and they rarely think about the wider consequences of their actions.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I mean it's quite obvious that the original Lobcorp was a cult, super charismatic leader and all lol

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022

Hattie Masters posted:

Ayin didn't do it to torture Angela or because he's some mustache twirling villain. He was a fanatic, and they rarely think about the wider consequences of their actions.

See, here's the thing: Ayin had a blind spot to Angela. He wasn't even capable of thinking she was a person, or at least he did his very best not to think about that, to put it so far back that he wasn't conscious of it. He convinced himself, brainwashed himself, into believing Angela was a machine, though I feel there was always a part of him that knew it was wrong. If he acknowledged Angela was a person, able to be hurt, he would have to face the fact of how much he had sinned by attempting to resurrect Carmen and what his failure had wrought. This is the reason the plan failed: he blinded himself.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Xun posted:

I mean it's quite obvious that the original Lobcorp was a cult, super charismatic leader and all lol

I had to stretch things a bit, but this is what I think about Carmen:

Feel free to argue whether I put everyone in their right places, this was done in a short time with only a bit of wikipedia skimming and some of them were just spares I had to throw somewhere.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Will This Thread Ever Stop Producing Amazing Fanart? Local Scientists Unsure.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
I think it's more than a little insulting to refer to LobCorp as a cult. Carmen simply had an beautiful goal and had the charisma for people to rally behind her. She wasn't a perfect person and things went very wrong but it seems more than a little mean to demean all that.

oobitydoo
Oct 1, 2021

KobunFan posted:

I think it's more than a little insulting to refer to LobCorp as a cult. Carmen simply had an beautiful goal and had the charisma for people to rally behind her. She wasn't a perfect person and things went very wrong but it seems more than a little mean to demean all that.

It's not so much demeaning her goals as showing the result of her methods -- go back and see how Christopher talks about Ayin before being sent to get eaten by what is ostensibly Nothing There in one of Geburah's LobCorp cutscenes. The people there were religious fanatics dedicated to her charisma and her stated ideals at the cost of their own lives. Whether or not Carmen and Ayin originally wanted to start a cult, that's definitely what happened.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

KobunFan posted:

Considering the poo poo that they were getting up to even before it become a wing, lobocorp was definitely a cult.

NotteBoy97
Aug 17, 2021
I'm not sure I would call Lob Corp a cult. Pre Lob Corp in the outskirts totally but Ayin kind of turned that cult into a normal soul crushing corporation as part of his plan and becoming a wing. Though I guess Hokma being around still makes it a cult given his attitude towards Ayin. So never mind then lol

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

KobunFan posted:

So she was a good girl who had done nothing wrong in her life?

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It doesn't seem like it was an intentional cult, but a definite cult of personality definitely did arise around Carmen. The Sephirot who supported her all treated her as transcendent, and A was fanatically devoted to her.

For whatever it's worth, she believed in what they were doing herself, otherwise she wouldn't have sacrificed herself to become the bucket.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Keldulas posted:

It doesn't seem like it was an intentional cult, but a definite cult of personality definitely did arise around Carmen. The Sephirot who supported her all treated her as transcendent, and A was fanatically devoted to her.

For whatever it's worth, she believed in what they were doing herself, otherwise she wouldn't have sacrificed herself to become the bucket.

I thought she committed suicide and then A made her into the bucket.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

KobunFan posted:

Yeah when people start talking about how society is sick and oh hey they just happen to be the only one who sees whats wrong and has the cure that'll fix what ails yah and then gathers a group of fanatically devoted followers who literally kill themselves and others to follow you and your goals....thats like textbook cult man :v: Even Roland calls it out at the very beginning

Xun fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 22, 2022

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

KobunFan posted:

I think it's more than a little insulting to refer to LobCorp as a cult.

yeah insulting to cults maybe

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
You could argue that the legal status as a Wing made them politicians instead of cultists, if you really want them to not be a cult.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022

Xun posted:

Yeah when people start talking about how society is sick and oh hey they just happen to be the only one who sees whats wrong and has the cure that'll fix what ails yah and then gathers a group of fanatically devoted followers who literally kill themselves and others to follow you and your goals....thats like textbook cult man :v: Even Roland calls it out at the very beginning

And seeing how the City is, you are going to say how that isn't sick? With entire districts that are devoted to torturing people while they turn them into food? Humanity did have a sickness. They didn't make that up. And they were trying to cure it.

Yes, maybe it was similar in some ways to a cult of personality but the people at the top weren't profiting from this. That's what makes the difference. They were suffering just as much as everyone else.

KobunFan fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 23, 2022

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

KobunFan posted:

Yes, maybe it was similar in some ways to a cult of personality but the people at the top weren't profiting from this. That's what makes the difference. They were suffering just as much as everyone else.

Speaking of, what do we know about the Head?

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

Quackles posted:

Speaking of, what do we know about the Head?

That they'll murder your entire family if you cheat on your taxes.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
They'll murder you if you break arbitrary rules (like recording video or audio in District 14). They'll commit genocide to keep the current social order (all machines must be subordinate). They'll do whatever they need to to keep things exactly the way they are.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

KobunFan posted:

And seeing how the City is, you are going to say how that isn't sick? With entire districts that are devoted to torturing people while they turn them into food? Humanity did have a sickness. They didn't make that up. And they were trying to cure it.

I suggest you look up the definition of a cult :v: They are literally a cult

quote:

A cult is a group or movement held together by a shared commitment to a charismatic leader or ideology. It has a belief system that has the answers to all of life's questions and offers a special solution to be gained only by following the leader's rules.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022

Xun posted:

I suggest you look up the definition of a cult :v: They are literally a cult

You know what? Never mind, this conversation isn't going anywhere.

Instead, I'm going to say that Angela looks really cute when she smiles.

KobunFan fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

KobunFan posted:

They'll murder you if you break arbitrary rules (like recording video or audio in District 14). They'll commit genocide to keep the current social order (all machines must be subordinate). They'll do whatever they need to to keep things exactly the way they are.
They also had at least one sadistic goth girlboss on their payroll.