Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Opopanax posted:

Oh I am absolutely in for Left4Klownz

Except it’s made by the people who made Friday the 13th so it will actually be good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I'm rewatching The Terror.

gently caress I love watching a bunch of British character actors in silly little outfits get murdered. It's literally one of my favorite things in all the world.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hollismason posted:

Yeah but there was not like a Hannibal Lecter rap video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfkR5o_bcSg

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Me in a better universe: I love the new episode of Hannibabies.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hollismason posted:

It still blows my mind that Freddy Krueger a child murderer was a pop culture icon in the 80s

Broke: Freddy Kreuger, child murderer.

Woke: Charles Lee Ray, child murderer.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Freddy as an icon kinda makes sense in that he's a villain for young teens and the only consistent character through the series. He's scary but the movies show that kids can have power over their nightmares.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He’s also funny and charismatic

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm only upset about the Killer Klowns game because I wish Dead By Daylight licensed them instead. It's bad enough DBD is missing Jason just because he got his own game.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I dated a girl who was legitimately attracted to Freddy Krueger. Not Robert Englund, mind you.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

please tell me you ran with it. And ran out to spirit Halloween

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

It’s the hat, more horror villains need a jaunty hat.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Its just kind of one of those weird occurences that Freddy is a pop culture icon now. Like its just weird. There's a few horror icons but Freddy kind went over to the mainstream and appeared in all kinds of poo poo.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

It really is just because Robert Englund absolutely nailed it straight out of the gate. Most other horror icons kinda stumbled to begin with, or they started strong then tapered off. Freddy is just Englund giving 110% for 7 movies in a row.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hollismason posted:

Its just kind of one of those weird occurences that Freddy is a pop culture icon now. Like its just weird. There's a few horror icons but Freddy kind went over to the mainstream and appeared in all kinds of poo poo.

I think part of it is that there's just an iconic look to certain characters, that makes them memorable. He's got an iconic hat, sweater, and weapon, you can identify him easily in silhouette.

You can't really tell the difference between Michael Meyers or Jason Voorhees in silhouette. They also don't have anything clever to say.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The subtextual implication that Freddie was a child molester was always there, but it wasn’t explicitly textual and I think this made a difference when we watched the original NoES in the theater during its initial run.

He was a child-MURDERER, and violence and murder was much more palatable at the time than the idea that he was a pederast.

Hell, violence of any kind was much more acceptable than anything to do with sex, whether it was pederasty or not.

The remake was much more explicit about that, which did not go over well.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think it's mostly how chatty he is, and they leaned hard into that for the sequels.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think it's mostly how chatty he is, and they leaned hard into that for the sequels.

It's why chucky is awesome too

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
And nearly as iconic!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MacheteZombie posted:

It's why chucky is awesome too

:hmmyes:

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Medullah posted:

Unless you're being sarcastic, Gun Media (the Friday the 13th studio) have been working on a Texas Chainsaw Massacre game, not this

No, you're right - I read "From the Executive Director of Friday the 13th the Game" in the trailer and assumed that meant studio involvement too.

Also:

MacheteZombie posted:

Horror thread: It's why chucky is awesome too

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
You know, Child's Play could make a cool game in the vein of Alien: Isolation, especially if you get Brad Dourif to record 1000 quips for every time you get murked while hiding in a locker.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Comedy is the seasoning all slasher movies need. It's why the NoES remake sucked and why Noted Thread Favourite TCM2 is so good.

Iron Crowned posted:

You know, Child's Play could make a cool game in the vein of Alien: Isolation, especially if you get Brad Dourif to record 1000 quips for every time you get murked while hiding in a locker.

I'm in with one condition: Jennifer Tilly as Tiffany is present too.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Chucky is better than Freddy because he’s not above just saying “gently caress you!” instead of going into a whole Bugs Bunny routine. Freddy tries too hard sometimes.

Not every kill needs a bit - sometimes “gently caress you!” is all that needs to be said. Chucky understands this and his movies are better for it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Slugworth posted:

I dated a girl who was legitimately attracted to Freddy Krueger. Not Robert Englund, mind you.

Hold up, she was attracted to Freddy Krueger… but also attracted to you…

What does that say about you?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Xenomrph posted:

Hold up, she was attracted to Freddy Krueger… but also attracted to you…

What does that say about you?

Cool hat.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

MrMojok posted:

He was a child-MURDERER, and violence and murder was much more palatable at the time than the idea that he was a pederast.

So then what was his non-sexual motive?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I guess you could go with the idea that he's just a sadist.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I was a kid who was in grade school in the 70s, and we grew up watching the old Universal horror films, which were not horror films at all by modern measure.

This was a Friday night standard, for us at the time:

https://youtu.be/eDKJqwYAlxg

And reading the Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine with the horrible Forrest Ackerman puns, and reading the marvel Werewolf by Night and Tomb of Dracula comics, which were all pretty tame.

They did not show Hammer horror films on TV back then, likely because there was too much blood and tits in them.

So when the slasher genre began with Halloween and F13, it was a whole new deal.

Halloween is famously pretty devoid of blood and gore, F13 had a lot of it, but NoES was on a whole different level.

There was gore, it wasn’t so simple as a killer trudging along to penetrate multiple morally-deficient teenagers, it was about guilt, puberty, and the dream-world angle was quite original, at the time. The movie was a sensation.

I paused here for ten minutes because I forgot where I was going with this, but I am going to post it anyway.

I had some point I was leading to but I seem to have forgotten. Too much leaded gasoline, perhaps.

Flame away.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

OK SMG, you got me.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Man the NOES remake is so loving bad

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Chucky barely quips or has anything clever to say, he just kind of yells at you and then stabs you because he's a dumb violent rear end in a top hat.
This is all extremely good, just to be clear.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MrMojok posted:

I was a kid who was in grade school in the 70s, and we grew up watching the old Universal horror films, which were not horror films at all by modern measure.

This was a Friday night standard, for us at the time:

https://youtu.be/eDKJqwYAlxg

And reading the Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine with the horrible Forrest Ackerman puns, and reading the marvel Werewolf by Night and Tomb of Dracula comics, which were all pretty tame.

They did not show Hammer horror films on TV back then, likely because there was too much blood and tits in them.

So when the slasher genre began with Halloween and F13, it was a whole new deal.

Halloween is famously pretty devoid of blood and gore, F13 had a lot of it, but NoES was on a whole different level.

There was gore, it wasn’t so simple as a killer trudging along to penetrate multiple morally-deficient teenagers, it was about guilt, puberty, and the dream-world angle was quite original, at the time. The movie was a sensation.

I paused here for ten minutes because I forgot where I was going with this, but I am going to post it anyway.

I had some point I was leading to but I seem to have forgotten. Too much leaded gasoline, perhaps.

Flame away.

I don't really know where you're going either, but there was definitely a major shift in horror in the 70's and by the 80's horror had become completely different, and I kinda wish I had been around to witness it.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Man the NOES remake is so loving bad

The only saving grace of my viewing experience was that it was so dark and poorly shot that I don’t really remember much of it at all.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Wasn't there a Freddy Krueger 1 900 number or am I misremembering. Like whats the most outrageous Freddy merchandise

edit:

Yes There was! Did anyone here call it?

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 24, 2022

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Libra posted:

Chucky barely quips or has anything clever to say, he just kind of yells at you and then stabs you because he's a dumb violent rear end in a top hat.
This is all extremely good, just to be clear.

I happen to enjoy the simplicity of kill number #147 not having an elaborate muder-weapon centric pun and just being like, "I hosed your dad! With my DICK!!"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Chucky isn't particularly quipy.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hollismason posted:

Wasn't there a Freddy Krueger 1 900 number or am I misremembering. Like whats the most outrageous Freddy merchandise

edit:

Yes There was! Did anyone here call it?

Everything had a 900 number in the 80's and 90's

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Everything had a 900 number in the 80's and 90's

Freddy's the only horror icon with a 1-900 number

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Which one are you? I’m “Freddy The Sex Symbol”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Opopanax posted:

I like Van Helsing. I don't care if it's stupid :colbert:

Van Helsing was a great Castlevania movie.