Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
gently caress yeah, now I don't have to feel bad about downloading my horsecock mods from their site!! But seriously: good on them.

Fake edit: a shameful snype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

given how poorly the workers there are treated, i'd imagine they're also used because of low labor costs.

i don't think that's the intent of the post but using subcontractors isn't something you do to give yourself deniability or something.

that's exactly why you use contractors. you aren't responsible for a god drat thing that happens to them, and it gets much harder for them to unionize and gain rights. it also lets you skirt labor laws but again, that's just deniability

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
In theory there is an actual difference between an employee and a contractor—I'd say the most archetypical example of a contractor is like a plumber, who you don't keep on staff, but hire specifically to fix something that's broken—but employers quickly realized that they could just redefine all their employees as contractors and get away with murder, as it were.

Edit: I should note that contractor are not inherently "less" than employees, in fact it's kind of assumed that they are self-employed small business owners who can handle their own poo poo—which is why they don't get protections. The problem is only that employers are redefining employees as contractors to skirt various labor laws, unionization, etc.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 18, 2022

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Clarste posted:

In theory there is an actual difference between an employee and a contractor—I'd say the most archetypical example of a contractor is like a plumber, who you don't keep on staff, but hire specifically to fix something that's broken—but employers quickly realized that they could just redefine all their employees as contractors and get away with murder, as it were.

This. The terms of contractor vs. full time employee are actually fairly clear cut in the law, but as usual, companies with too much money have whittled away at the differences over the years. It effectively comes down to a series of questions, but again - consider this to be barely valid at the federal level. There is also a longer test to be used in court but I'm too lazy to look for it right now:

IRS posted:

1. Behavioral: Does the company control or have the right to control what the worker does and how the worker does his or her job?

2. Financial: Are the business aspects of the worker’s job controlled by the payer? (these include things like how worker is paid, whether expenses are reimbursed, who provides tools/supplies, etc.)

3. Type of Relationship: Are there written contracts or employee type benefits (i.e. pension plan, insurance, vacation pay, etc.)? Will the relationship continue and is the work performed a key aspect of the business?

A handful of states are starting to push back against this, notably California. I believe MA and one or two other states are working on this as well, but of course, a ton of companies are pushing back as hard as possible.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The idea that you could be a “temp” for 5 years and never get any benefits or retirement assistance seems like one of those “so obvious it’s offensive” type scams like health insurance or car insurance

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
you guys are mixing up independent contractors with "contractors" who are employed by staffing agencies (frequently as full-time employees)

in this case these were temporary employees employed by Aerotek and not independent contractors, and to be clear Nintendo would almost certainly be liable if one of their full time managers harassed one of them

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 18, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I'm pretty sure it's the employers who are intentionally mixing that up, not us. They're just calling them contractors so they don't have the rights of an employee, full stop.

Edit: In this case, Aerotek is the "contractor" and their employees are therefore contractors of Nintendo, but as we discussed this is just a shell and Nintendo controls all the terms and conditions of their work. They are employees of Nintendo in all but name, Aerotek is just a legal fiction.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 18, 2022

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Feels Villeneuve posted:

you guys are mixing up independent contractors with "contractors" who are employed by staffing agencies (frequently as full-time employees)

in this case these were temporary employees employed by Aerotek and not independent contractors, and to be clear Nintendo would almost certainly be liable if one of their full time managers harassed one of them

Clarste posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the employers who are intentionally mixing that up, not us. They're just calling them contractors so they don't have the rights of an employee, full stop.

Edit: In this case, Aerotek is the "contractor" and their employees are therefore contractors of Nintendo, but as we discussed this is just a shell and Nintendo controls all the terms and conditions of their work. They are employees of Nintendo in all but name, Aerotek is just a legal fiction.

It's this. They should be classified as statutory employees, per the IRS. But again, large corporations have largely litigated it to the point where the temp agency is effectively a pass-through entity to provide the contracting company with plausible deniability for any wrongdoing, and the opportunity to hire (or non-hire) at lower wages. It also helps prevent people from unionizing - if Aerotek employees were to attempt to organize, the contracting company would simply void the contract and everyone would be out of a job.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The world's most cynically named IP farm and questionable decision makers on where to host AMAs strikes again

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1560117210181275648

They've also acquired Tripwire (Killing Floor) and Tuxedo Labs (Teardown)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

The 7th Guest posted:

The world's most cynically named IP farm and questionable decision makers on where to host AMAs strikes again

They've also acquired Tripwire (Killing Floor) and Tuxedo Labs (Teardown)

Also all? remaining Lord of the Rings/Hobbit game rights, a variety of indies and some foreign studios, and "an undisclosed acquisition within PC/Console gaming that for commercial reasons is not disclosed today". Man. These guys really live the supervillain life.

edit: I'm sorry, I misread, it's all LotR/Hobbit rights, not just games???

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 18, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

most notably they also acquired the toaplan catalog, which includes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fvTxv46ano

im pretty sure zero wing is the sole reason they acquired it, since their other IPs include 'snow bros 2: with new elves' and 'mahjong sisters'. they were very influential to 80s/90s shmups but most of it has little actual name value.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 18, 2022

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Endorph posted:

most notably they also acquired the toaplan catalog, which includes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fvTxv46ano

im pretty sure zero wing is the sole reason they acquired it, since their other IPs include 'snow bros 2: with new elves' and 'mahjong sisters'. they were very influential to 80s/90s shmups but most of it has little actual name value.

I guess you could say, for the embracer group, it's all going according toaplan

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Good for Nexus.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

secretly best girl posted:

Man. These guys really live the supervillain life.

Exactly
https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1534473385559969792

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yes. Yes, it is. What even is Embracer at this point?

(Though I believe the Tolkien estate still owns some aspects of the IP?)

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Aug 18, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
At this point I think it might well be that Embracer had noticed how many media companies are tearing the copper out of the walls for no particular reason and selling off massively popular IP at a steal.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

CottonWolf posted:

Yes. Yes, it is. What even is Embracer at this point?

They're a respectable front for billions of dollars from the Saudi government

Ghost Leviathan posted:

At this point I think it might well be that Embracer had noticed how many media companies are tearing the copper out of the walls for no particular reason and selling off massively popular IP at a steal.

I don't think they're selling cheap. It's that there's a loose anti-trust environment on cultural work and plenty of international institutional money making big gambles on the stability of cultural value.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Aug 18, 2022

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
You’re also seeing a fuckton of acquisitions lately because of inflation - if you have a ton of money sitting around in reserve doing nothing in particular, inflation means that all just got worth 10% less, so every company is looking to turn that liquid capital into solid assets ASAP.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

(Though I believe the Tolkien estate still owns some aspects of the IP?)

https://embracer.com/release/embrac...-j-r-r-tolkien/

At first I thought this was just them flexing about acquiring licenses and announcing that some of their hundreds of studios would now be making LotR games... but no. Embracer is buying Middle-earth Enterprises, meaning all merchandising/franchise rights minus the portion that Tolkien's estate still controls, which is some TV and book rights.

As of now there are four LotR video games in production:
Gollum from Daedelic (Nacon)
Heroes of Middle-Earth, a mobile cash generator (EA)
Unannounced Weta Workshop project (Take Two)
Return to Moria, a survival sim (North Beach Games)

[Insert fitting quote from the ring verse here]

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/ASFTUgame/status/1562319004949028864?t=2aVzoc0IZKJo62aQ5NLweQ&s=19

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Never heard of these guys, but sucks for burgeoning creativity to be stabbed in the back like that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

THE BAR posted:

Never heard of these guys, but sucks for burgeoning creativity to be stabbed in the back like that.
Sidescrolling adventure game with lovely art

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pqube games have always been shady as hell. as a random example they grabbed the visual novel Our World Is Ended, tried to bait some kotaku writer into an argument about the fanservice in it, put THE CONTROVERSIAL VISUAL NOVEL into its steam description even though nobody cared, and then it turned out they'd released the initial vita version of the game instead of the later updated version that had new content and some more artwork for the original scenes, because the original version of the game was cheaper to license.

It's a shame because they do publish some decent stuff, I enjoyed bustafellows, but they've always felt very fly by night.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think they generally had some decent translators but ehhhh

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think they generally had some decent translators but ehhhh

I don't think a publisher like that would have in-house translators at all, they'd just contract that work out to someone else.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/WatcherGuru/status/1563127680702115843

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Let's see if EA will be the one being led behind the shed this time.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1563136384059285505?s=20&t=Rf_Rso2q9fvsAURej-vm2w

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
Chris Roberts long con to force all of EA to use "StarEngine" :trustme:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

BREAKING: Failed Terrible Games Publisher May Or May Not Buy Successful Terrible Games Publisher

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

That's a beautiful curve. I'd love to know who launched the rumour and how much they made out of it.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
This tweet has vanished.

To everyone: Please screenshot tweets you link because this kind of thing is depressingly common.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Pickled Tink posted:

This tweet has vanished.

To everyone: Please screenshot tweets you link because this kind of thing is depressingly common.

no

the tweet said amazon rumored to be buying ea

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Looks like this is an ongoing pattern with PQube.

https://twitter.com/AETERNOBLADE1/status/1565340890712772615?t=ATY84zwQzuVCoUC3h_sWAQ&s=19

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Following that, Pqube responded by saying that they had in fact relinquished publishing rights. The Aeternoblade devs then said: lol, no you didn't
https://twitter.com/AETERNOBLADE1/status/1565904230996930560

This got me wondering if Pqube is maybe just doing this poo poo to stave off financial problems, but they haven't released an audited financial report in years so there's no way to know

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
https://twitter.com/vodeogames/status/1567581119608156161?s=46&t=Fo0jCOHsYQRNV3o_PFF7_g

https://twitter.com/vodeoworkers/status/1567583503377731588?s=46&t=Fo0jCOHsYQRNV3o_PFF7_g

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Just when you thought NFT assholes couldn't get any worse...

NFT Expert imagines a hopeful future where poor people serve as real life NPCs in games.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t see how that’s any worse than hiring them for customer service or tech support jobs. NFTs are dumb as hell but getting people to play the digital equivalent of an extra is hardly exploitative.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

You know, every so often my views on capital punishment are challenged and it appears that today is one of those days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vegetable posted:

I don’t see how that’s any worse than hiring them for customer service or tech support jobs. NFTs are dumb as hell but getting people to play the digital equivalent of an extra is hardly exploitative.
why would you want them to do that, though

the reason you hire people for customer service or tech support is those jobs are too complex for a computer to do yet outside of some basic question -> answer prompts, if the problem isnt obvious you need a person

this guy's idea is hiring people to fish and walk in circles, things you can program an ai to do