Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Wait did the Cubs actually ignore Sosa wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Hell yeah

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Kilometers Davis posted:

He didn't leave on good terms with the organization, and coupled with the PED associations (and bat corking) they won't have anything to do with him.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's dumb. Nobody gives a poo poo about Sosa taking PEDs anymore, at least not enough to fully disown him. Corked bat is just straight up funny.

Sosa is beloved by Cub fans still, it's just the FO that has a problem.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

That’s a shame. As a Cardinals fan growing up watching him vs McGwire was just flat out special. They need to give him love asap.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kilometers Davis posted:

The ownership stance is that they will only accept Sosa back if he gives a public apology for taking roids. And look yeah Sosa was obviously juicing but he technically never got caught and has maintained his innocence all this time, so that's a bridge to far for him. It's also dumb because Ricketts didn't own the team until well after Sosa departed, so frankly they aren't entitled to jack from him in terms of an "apology." Particularly since I'd wager Sammy roiding up and hitting a bunch of dingers fostered many a young Cubs fan who are now going to Cubs games and giving ownership money they otherwise wouldn't be getting.

The whole thing is loving stupid and all ownership has to do is swallow a bit of pride and bury the hatchet, but they won't and now we're going to have a Cubs HoF that won't include Sammy Sosa.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Sydin posted:

The ownership stance is that they will only accept Sosa back if he gives a public apology for taking roids. And look yeah Sosa was obviously juicing but he technically never got caught and has maintained his innocence all this time, so that's a bridge to far for him. It's also dumb because Ricketts didn't own the team until well after Sosa departed, so frankly they aren't entitled to jack from him in terms of an "apology." Particularly since I'd wager Sammy roiding up and hitting a bunch of dingers fostered many a young Cubs fan who are now going to Cubs games and giving ownership money they otherwise wouldn't be getting.

The whole thing is loving stupid and all ownership has to do is swallow a bit of pride and bury the hatchet, but they won't and now we're going to have a Cubs HoF that won't include Sammy Sosa.

That's so bad. Sosa was awesome....it's sooooo reaaal

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Thanks, but Pujols is coming back next year so we can do it again!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MrMidnight posted:

That's so bad. Sosa was awesome....it's sooooo reaaal

DANCING SOSA

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Diamondbacks traded Paul Goldschmidt for Luke Weaver.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Mike_V posted:

Thanks, but Pujols is coming back next year so we can do it again!

If Pujols falls a couple shy of 700 the Cards have to give him another one year deal, right? They’d get crucified for saying no.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Dinosaurs! posted:

If Pujols falls a couple shy of 700 the Cards have to give him another one year deal, right? They’d get crucified for saying no.

Pujols was asked this like a week ago and seemed adamant in this being his last year. Maybe he changes his mind if he's at like 698 or 699 but he's also 53 and likely wants to retire already

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Niwrad posted:

The Diamondbacks traded Paul Goldschmidt for Luke Weaver.

And the Rockies paid like half of Arenado's salary just to dump him

Teams stop hooking up the Cardinals challenge

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rip

https://twitter.com/toddzolecki/status/1562923423298363393?s=21&t=0NhytuBwT3NMvEwkkZB8Og

Rip to the rip. Rest in pieces 🪦

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Dinosaurs! posted:

my theory is that as long as he passes ARod, he's content.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Intruder posted:

And the Rockies paid like half of Arenado's salary just to dump him

Teams stop hooking up the Cardinals challenge

They did mildly get owned on the Ozuna trade I guess.

https://twitter.com/betr/status/1562633952187535361

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Random but because I couldn't stop thinking about how bizarre the Pekin, Illinois thing was...

WikiPedia posted:

From the high school's founding until the 1981 school year, the football team was officially named the "Pekin Chinks", represented by a red dragon logo, done in part to represent the town of Pekin's wrongly supposed relation to the Chinese city of Peking.[3][4] The team mascots were a male and a female student who would wear stereotypical Chinese attire, calling themselves the "Chink" and "Chinklette", and striking a gong whenever the team scored.[5][6]

:stare::stare::stare::stare::stare:

This is like something you ironically see in Curb Your Enthusiasm good god

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Red posted:

Odd thing I learned: Robin Roberts was anti-Little League. It sounds like crazy old man talk, but he actually has some decent points.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/74368860/tipton-county-tribune/
Sometimes that site has issues, at least for me, so in case anyone else is interested I went ahead and transcribed what he Roberts said. I'll leave it outside quote blocks in case any of you want to quote it.

“If I told you and your family that I want you to help me from the middle of May until the end of July, one that would totally disrupt your dinner schedule and pay nothing, you would probably tell me to get lost. That’s what Little League does. Mothers and fathers or both spend four or five nights a week taking children to Little League, watching the game, coming home late and eating sandwiches for a late dinner.

“This is the only time they have available. These same adults are in most cases unqualified as instructors and do not have the emotional stability to work with children of this age. Most instructors will never understand that youngsters eligible for Little League are of the age when their concentration lasts, at most, for five seconds and without sustained concentration organized athletic programs are a farce.”

“Pitchers in the program are the most mature. They throw harder, and if they throw strikers very few batters can hit the ball. Consequently, it makes good baseball for most hitters to take the pitch. Don’t swing. Hope for a walk. That could be a player’s instruction for four years. The fun is in hitting the baseball; the coach says don’t swing. That may be sound baseball, but it does nothing to help a young player develop his hitting.”

“I believe more good young athletes are turned off by the pressure of organized Little League than are helped. Little Leagues have no value as a training ground for baseball fundamentals.”

“First of all, I wouldn’t start any programs until the school year is over. Any young student has enough of a schedule during the school year to keep busy. These programs should be played in the afternoon with a softball (Ted note: does he mean softer ball?); it hurts when it hits you. A softball is bigger, easier to see and easier to hit.

“The instructors should be young adults from college, or high school graduates. The instructor should be the pitcher and umpire at the same time. These programs should be run on public playground or in schoolyards”

“When you start talking about young people playing baseball at 13 to 15, you may have something. Organize them a little, but be careful: they are still young. But from 16 and on, work them really hard. Discipling them, organize the leagues, strive to win titles, travel all over. Give this age all the time and attention you can give them.”

“I believe the [Little League] has done just the opposite. We’ve worked hard with the 8-12 year olds. We overorganize them, put them under pressure they can’t handle, and make playing baseball seem important. When our young people reach 16 they would appreciate the attention and help from the parents, and that’s when our present programs almost stop.”

“I still don’t know what the men who started this program had in mind back in 1939. I’m sure they didn’t want parents arguing with their children about kids’ games. I’m sure they didn’t want to have family meals disrupted for three months each year. I’m sure they didn’t want young athletes hurting their arms pitching under pressure at such a young age. I’m sure they didn’t want young boys who don’t have much athletic ability made to feel that something is wrong with them because they can’t play baseball. I’m sure they didn’t want a group of coaches drafting the players each year for different teams. I’m sure they didn’t want unqualified men working with the young men. I’m sure they didn’t realize how normal it is for an 8-year-old to be scared of a thrown or batted baseball.”

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

This seems like a non issue that I don’t know why it was reported except for it being a slow news day.

https://twitter.com/SNY_Mets/status/1562904971615809538?s=20&t=DoPzvKs265IWe6EOehQnlg

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

TV Zombie posted:

This seems like a non issue that I don’t know why it was reported except for it being a slow news day.

https://twitter.com/SNY_Mets/status/1562904971615809538?s=20&t=DoPzvKs265IWe6EOehQnlg
Ye Olde Bulletine Boarde Materiale

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's incredibly easy to incense New York sport media.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
it's a funny quote, like yeah no poo poo a guy drafted by the Braves is gonna poo poo on the Mets

the fact that people are treating it like an actual story is ridiculous

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sydin posted:

The Ricketts Family-

Steroids=bad

Donating to insurrectionists= good

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Crazy Ted posted:

Random but because I couldn't stop thinking about how bizarre the Pekin, Illinois thing was...

Central/Southern IL is just Missouri, in baseball as well as regular life.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

more falafel please posted:

Central/Southern IL is just Missouri, in baseball as well as regular life.
There are certainly pictures of this, and I really don't feel like going down that rabbit hole.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

I was catching up on the thread this morning over coffee at like 4AM and browsed through that wikipedia page myself because of the discussion in here. It was a very surreal read while half awake

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
https://twitter.com/baseball_ref/status/1562961775431421952

Probably the best right hander ever.

Also lol I forgot how loving huge those dudes were during the steroid era.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Well Played Mauer posted:

Clemens' seasons in Toronto seem largely forgotten, but they were extraordinarily good.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I was going to interject with Maddux so I looked at the bWARs and Clemens had a loving 139.2 bWAR?! :stare:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

fuckin' clemens murdered the m's in the 2001 ALCS :smith:

edit: no it was mostly andy pettitte :(
edit2: I was thinking of this 2000 ALCS game https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/SEA/SEA200010140.shtml

Mr. Fix It fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 26, 2022

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Intruder posted:

I was going to interject with Maddux so I looked at the bWARs and Clemens had a loving 139.2 bWAR?! :stare:
20.0 over just two seasons in Toronto. He had arguably two of the 4-5 best seasons of his career with the Blue Jays.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

yeah he won 7 Cy Youngs, two more than the next most (The Big Unit)

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

23 years ago Clemens started an affair with a 15 year old.

He’s a piece of poo poo.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

secular woods sex posted:

23 years ago Clemens started an affair with a 15 year old.

He’s a piece of poo poo.

drat I only ever heard about the roids (which I do not care about because hell yea roid up)

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians
“Drafts and minor leagues

The New York Mets selected Clemens in the 12th round of the 1981 Major League Baseball draft, but he did not sign.”

Vaughn Grissom just following in the footsteps of those that went before him

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

GPTribefan posted:

“Drafts and minor leagues

The New York Mets selected Clemens in the 12th round of the 1981 Major League Baseball draft, but he did not sign.”

Vaughn Grissom just following in the footsteps of those that went before him

Hopefully not entirely

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Cubs should call up Matt Mervis and actually play him. I don't know if he's fools gold but the dude is mashing.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Does Ohtani still sit the day after he pitches? Some friends are going to Jays / Angels on Sunday and I think he’s scheduled to pitch Saturday.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Intruder posted:

As an Astros fan I'm surprised you forgot how good he was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

The averages of that Oakland lineup makes me wanna cry. The highest is a rookie they brought up not too long ago