Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

MrMidnight posted:

The averages of that Oakland lineup makes me wanna cry. The highest is a rookie they brought up not too long ago

as an Athletics fan can confirm this season is extremely Not Tight. thank you based Fisher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Thanks for the unfortunate Sosa info y’all. I read up some more on it and yeah, it’s a lot of bullshit. He should be all over that franchise.

Intruder posted:

I was going to interject with Maddux so I looked at the bWARs and Clemens had a loving 139.2 bWAR?! :stare:

Good lord that’s incredible, Clemens was unreal.

secular woods sex posted:

23 years ago Clemens started an affair with a 15 year old.

He’s a piece of poo poo.

The girl in question said that didn’t happen fwiw.

quote:

On November 17, 2008, McCready spoke in more detail to Inside Edition about her affair with Clemens, saying their relationship lasted for more than a decade and that it ended when Clemens refused to leave his wife to marry her. However, she denied that she was 15 years old when it began, saying that they met when she was 16 and the affair only became sexual "several years later".

If you dig deeper into that and his affairs in general it’s a wild loving ride.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 26, 2022

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Kilometers Davis posted:

When was this? All I managed to find was this

quote:

“We never had a meeting in secret. We went on vacations together: We went to Palm Springs; we went to Las Vegas, New York City. I wanted him to do right by me … and when he wouldn’t, I broke it off.

“I have nothing but remorse and nothing but sympathy for what she’s [Debbie Clemens] had to go through with this situation, and she has my utmost apology.”

which isn't a denial of a relationship, it's more her thinking he was going to leave his wife for her or something like that

And then like a month later she killed herself probably in large part thanks to all the abuse she was getting from baseball fans and sports media

e: oh that's what I get for leaving the reply window open while googling

e2: and it's still pretty questionable that she specified it didn't become sexual while she was underage, not that it didn't begin while she was underage

Intruder fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 26, 2022

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Astros will not have a losing season officially.

Go stros.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sab0921 posted:

Astros will not have a losing season officially.

Go stros.

Glad the Astros were able to shut down that cheater Carlos Correa

good to have the cheaters off the team. Thank goodness Altuve was proven to have not used the bangs

e: also every time Vasquez starts I wonder more and more why the gently caress Maldy is still getting the majority of the starts

I get that he's a good guy and all but come on

Intruder fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 26, 2022

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Carlos is definitely bailing on the Twins

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Let's be real he'll be a Yankee next season after Judge walks

this post could very well be considered violence

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

Thanks for the unfortunate Sosa info y’all. I read up some more on it and yeah, it’s a lot of bullshit. He should be all over that franchise.

Good lord that’s incredible, Clemens was unreal.

If you dig deeper into that and his affairs in general it’s a wild loving ride.
grooming a 16 year old isn't much different

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

grooming a 16 year old isn't much different

that's the other thing it's still grooming even if you wait until they're legal for the actual sex

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Intruder posted:

Glad the Astros were able to shut down that cheater Carlos Correa

good to have the cheaters off the team. Thank goodness Altuve was proven to have not used the bangs

e: also every time Vasquez starts I wonder more and more why the gently caress Maldy is still getting the majority of the starts

I get that he's a good guy and all but come on

Vasquez almost stole a base today!

Dusty getting wild with his calls.

Also - Maldy has been solid at the plate over the last couple of months. I went yesterday and ge got 2 hits

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sab0921 posted:

Vasquez almost stole a base today!

Dusty getting wild with his calls.

Also - Maldy has been solid at the plate over the last couple of months. I went yesterday and ge got 2 hits

He has absolutely not been solid at the plate. He's had moments but his slash is .214/.267/.422 since June 1

If you want to use a literal definition of two months he's slashing .221/.270/.433 since June 25

e: you can live with a dead spot in the lineup like that when you don't dead spots like Dubon, Chas, recent Pena and Yuli also in the lineup but when you have Vazquez as an option where he's a good defensive catcher and can also hit...

I have no idea if Vazquez has any interest in staying in Houston but I'd love to see him get a 3ish year deal. 2 with a team option? IDK if he'd accept such a short deal though

Intruder fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 26, 2022

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I can’t believe this Machete slander.

And coupled with praise for a former Red Sock, no less.

Just shameful :colbert:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The Red Sox are 3-13 vs the Jays and have been outscored 100 to 52 in those games :lol:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can’t believe this Machete slander.

And coupled with praise for a former Red Sock, no less.

Just shameful :colbert:

e: eh that was unnecessary fire towards our Angels fan friends :shobon:

Intruder fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 26, 2022

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Nodoze posted:

The Red Sox are 3-13 vs the Jays and have been outscored 100 to 52 in those games :lol:

I was wondering the other day if the Jays had a positive run differential outside of the Red Sox games and I guess the answer is “yes but not by much.”

DefensiveLockout
Feb 18, 2022

Nodoze posted:

Padres Fans posted:

52 runs in 16 games? Stop bragging!

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Crazy Ted posted:

Clemens' seasons in Toronto seem largely forgotten, but they were extraordinarily good.

ya he was really good with the jays

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

https://theathletic.com/3539812/2022/08/26/mlb-carew-manfred-rules-analytics/ posted:

Carew and other Hall of Famers, voicing frustration shared by many currently working in the game, say analytics is damaging the sport and negatively affecting the way players perform. Manfred does not dispute that point, saying, “analytics has had a deleterious effect on the way the game is being played on the field.”

“I’m interested in the game. I’m interested in the kids coming up,” Carew said. “They’re not allowing these kids to use the sixth tool, which is their brain. Think instead of trying to do everything somebody else says they should. Baseball has never been that way before.”

There is not an eye roll emoji big enough to express my feelings about this

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Soon all baseball games will be decided by The Algorithm™ in advance. No need to waste time playing.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

camoseven posted:

So teams will just get a math PhD from Harvard to play out in right, since they will be allowed to use their brain while on the field, and can then tell their teammates optimal positioning and pitch selection. Problem solved.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Soon all baseball games will be decided by The Algorithm™ in advance. No need to waste time playing.

Just watching OOTP sims

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Some sassy posts when folks complain about front offices not spending money based on analytics. It’s absolutely increased the gap between the best and worst teams

I don’t think it’s weird to think a solved sport is less interesting than one that has folks acting sub-optimally sometimes.

Folks here really dig the dearth of starters going later into games?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

camoseven posted:

I'm generally inclined to like and support Rod, so I may be a bit biased but I save my eyerolls for the poor, wounded, offended Manfred:

quote:

Manfred, who has spoken at the dinner and presented gifts to the new Hall of Famers every year since becoming commissioner in 2015, said there is an explicit understanding among the participants that the conversations will remain confidential, and took exception with Carew going public.

“The idea that somebody is talking about in the detail that Rod elected to is wholly inappropriate,” Manfred said. “It’s not up to one person to decide that an assumption the group has proceeded on for years, he can blow up by himself.”
:qq:I should be able to blow off these oldtimers and they should just have to accept whatever pablum I graciously extend in absolute silence:qq:

Confidentiality only protects candor when you're being candid, Rob:

quote:

Manfred said he was not going to put himself in the same category as Carew by going through the “jots and tittles” of what was said at the dinner. But he gave a point-by-point account of his position on analytics, saying his private and public versions are no different.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

uggy posted:

Some sassy posts when folks complain about front offices not spending money based on analytics. It’s absolutely increased the gap between the best and worst teams

I don't know what you're trying to say here but it sounds stupid

quote:

I don’t think it’s weird to think a solved sport is less interesting than one that has folks acting sub-optimally sometimes.

It's not solved and never will be. Also TLR is still managing so go watch White Sox games if you like watching sub-optimal decisions.

quote:

Plenty of guys still do it, and since it's not as common it's more exciting.

Overall your post is 0/5 stars, wholly unenjoyable to read and respond to.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
MLB players are gonna barnstorm in Korea later this year. I hope it's on at like 7am here, I love morning baseball

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

MrMidnight posted:

Boras’ motives aside, I love when a player bets on himself. Shame he hasn’t had the season he was hoping for, tho.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

uggy posted:

This is one of the side effects of baseball meta-game optimization, and there's a worthwhile conversation to be had about that, but the old guys whining about "analytics" are never able to articulate it as such. Just look at the quote, Carew is complaining that players aren't allowed to think for themselves anymore (????).

Other flavors of old guy complaints are things like "these players today are too soft, pitchers can't go deep cause they are being babied and they're such pussies they just sit there and take it." It's nonsense and it's not worth engaging.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
https://twitter.com/AH_Pod/status/1563167409762369537?s=20&t=CEPJrX-LDRxdcUaQpBhHgQ

This dude has something legit mentally wrong with him, right?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

bawfuls posted:

This is one of the side effects of baseball meta-game optimization, and there's a worthwhile conversation to be had about that, but the old guys whining about "analytics" are never able to articulate it as such. Just look at the quote, Carew is complaining that players aren't allowed to think for themselves anymore (????).

Other flavors of old guy complaints are things like "these players today are too soft, pitchers can't go deep cause they are being babied and they're such pussies they just sit there and take it." It's nonsense and it's not worth engaging.

sure that's fair, i focused more on the first paragraph re manfred and carew both lamenting analytics in general.

the boomer brain take is dumb, agreed

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

why does he have hitch on VHS hitch came out like 3 years after DVDs superseded VHS

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

zach pampers, imo

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

uggy posted:

sure that's fair, i focused more on the first paragraph re manfred and carew both lamenting analytics in general.

the boomer brain take is dumb, agreed
Manfred is similarly incapable of articulating what the problem with "analytics" is exactly. To him it's a buzzword that endears him to geriatric fans.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Intruder posted:

Let's be real he'll be a Yankee next season after Judge walks

this post could very well be considered violence

I'm officially done if this happens. They have 2 top SS prospects that they are hugging alot so it won't though.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
https://twitter.com/JesseSanchezMLB/status/1563200918379671553?s=20&t=zsVprScvOCQq-rcSmBuvwg

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Holy hell Julio about to be the first half billion dollar player

Good job Mariners, you finally spent money!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

I'm officially done if this happens. They have 2 top SS prospects that they are hugging alot so it won't though.
:toxx: or don't post these lies

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1563205554553516034?t=k5qMTiUQ60BNJOByU4aeqg&s=19

14 goddamn years! Mariner for life. I love my baseball team and its new star.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

MrMidnight posted:

I thought there was the tiniest chance he'd stay, but as usual we didn't manage to field a full rotation of actual Major League starting pitchers and we're paying for it yet again. And it's not like we'll use that salary "room" to actually pick up pitching, either. We'll just roll Lewis out there to figure out his recovery on the field, pay him the minimum, and the Pohlads will cry poor again, so of course we can't get any top-tier starters.

It's amazing anyone ever signs with the Twins since they have an organizational aversion to acquiring or holding quality pitchers in their prime, having a medical staff that can evaluate and maintain pitchers, or even pretending to care about holding a staff year to year. It's always loving duct tape and baling wire with them, and it has to be apparent to everyone in the game.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

shirts and skins posted:

14 goddamn years! Mariner for life. I love my baseball team and its new star.

Let's hope he doesn't own a motorcycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

looking forward to Major League Baseball Featuring Julio Rodriguez 64