Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah I’ve been noticing it too. Obnoxious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

That is what the “QMS” feature of HDMI 2.1 is supposed to fix so in 5 years when most people have compatible hardware it will be less painful.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Trying a different cable has been the solution a frustrating amount of times. HDMI, Ethernet, USB, etc. Especially with the different versions of USB-C. I think changing the HDMI cable solved the 4K issues I was having last summer iirc.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Sounds like another reason to go YouTube premium

Use a Argentina vpn and it’s like $1.50 a month

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

kri kri posted:

Sounds like another reason to go YouTube premium

Use a Argentina vpn and it’s like $1.50 a month

How would YouTube premium fix the frame rate change lag? No matter what when you start a video it does it, whether that video starts with an ad or not. Ads just make it worse.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Mahoning posted:

How would YouTube premium fix the frame rate change lag? No matter what when you start a video it does it, whether that video starts with an ad or not. Ads just make it worse.

No ads = less switching

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Bought a refub apple tv 4k from apple and as I understand it the remote no longer has the gyroscopes and accelerometer to function as a waggle controller for Arcade+ games. What is the cheapest functional replacement for this feature so I can hand it to a toddler to amuse themselves with it for roughly 2 hours per calendar year?

edit: also, for religious reasons, the Xbox One All In One Entertainment Console From Microsoft controller is not an option in this household.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 28, 2022

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

kri kri posted:

No ads = less switching

Premium mitigates the problem. It doesn’t fix it. I still have to back up every video I start to catch the first few seconds.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
We also noticed that some ads just play the first 1 second or so and then the screen goes black, another ad starts that plays for the same amount of time, screen goes black, then the video we were watching continues. Seems if I were a business advertising on YouTube and my ads were being skipped by the lovely app update I would be a little upset.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
the app is borderline useless tbh. it also resets my playback position most of the time, so either you watch a longer video in one go, or you just check it out on desktop instead

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

kliras posted:

the app is borderline useless tbh. it also resets my playback position most of the time, so either you watch a longer video in one go, or you just check it out on desktop instead

Yeah, the aggressiveness of the ads along with the lovely app makes YT (and Twitch) either PC or iOS+Vinegar only for me. Maybe someday if these sideloading laws come to pass we'll get something wild on ATV, like a web browser.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
twitch also has basically the same problem where it doesn't save playback position correctly. on top of making it hard to watch vods

... and being unable to use a cursor to navigate instead of using multiples of playback speed is absurd for a service where people can stream six hours or more at a time

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I really hope the new ATV drops at the September event and not at the October event. I just moved and I need to buy a new one for a guest room/office and I've been holding out for the new one, but I'm beginning to lose my resolve.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Why would there be a new ATV?

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

njsykora posted:

Why would there be a new ATV?

Because nothing else in the lineup uses A12s any more and Tim wants to consolidate. The next one will probably be an A13 or a Watch chip with an HDMI out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

jackhunter64 posted:

Because nothing else in the lineup uses A12s any more and Tim wants to consolidate. The next one will probably be an A13 or a Watch chip with an HDMI out.
They still make and sell the ATV4 with an A8.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

They have enough unsold Homepods lying around to cannibalise for the chips for those.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

jackhunter64 posted:

They have enough unsold Homepods lying around to cannibalise for the chips for those.

I'd take them off their hands I loving love these stupid things. Got a pair of them with my Apple TV I grabbed for $150 each and the sound quality is extremely great, especially since I only ever use an apple tv for movies/TV.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
They don’t do annual refreshes for Apple TV. I’d be shocked if they did release one this year.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
there were some rumours about tv sticks, so it wouldn't necessarily be an upgrade

i think i lost my remote, and the drat thing is like half the price of a whole apple tv. lose your remote? don't worry, just buy a whole new set-top box

u1 chip tracker in the next remote or bust

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There were 4 years between the original 4K and the one we have now, so given the current 4K can do 120fps stuff that barely exists right now I wouldn't expect a new ATV box until at least 2025.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

We got a minimum 2 more years before a new ATV refresh. The last one was really just to fix the remote anyways.

There's nothing the A12 current ATV 4k can't do that an A14 or better could.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Yeah, I should clarify, I'm not at "I won't buy until the new one comes out", I just think that with an Apple event in less than two weeks it couldn't hurt to wait and see if anything new is announced, especially since a theoretical Apple TV Stick would be perfect for me. But if nothing is announced, I'll happily buy the current model and it will also work perfectly.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I'm in the same boat. Got a need for one in the guest room, waiting to see if something is announced though.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

jokes posted:

I'd take them off their hands I loving love these stupid things. Got a pair of them with my Apple TV I grabbed for $150 each and the sound quality is extremely great, especially since I only ever use an apple tv for movies/TV.

I assume you're talking about HomePod and not HomePod mini, right?

I have a HomePod Mini that I use with my bedroom projector and it's surprisingly good, at least for idly watching Simpsons and Seinfeld reruns in bed.

I was thinking about getting another Mini (or even a pair) for the spare room / office as a step up from the TV speakers (and because I want to put a smart speaker in there anyway). I briefly thought about trying to track down an OG HomePod instead of the Mini, but they're pretty pricey on eBay and I assume not worth the extra expense?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I thought I heard rumors of a new homepod this fall but who knows.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I figure one day they can basically shrink an Apple TV in a stick sized device.

For right now though, I don't see them releasing one as a 'budget' Apple TV. If people really want that experience there's plenty of TVs that now work with Airplay. Smart TVs and other appliances have an AppleTV+ app now so they can watch that poo poo, so Apple already has their trojan horse.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

priznat posted:

I thought I heard rumors of a new homepod this fall but who knows.

I’ve heard this rumbling as well but I’d be expecting a new Homepod mini that’s just called a Homepod over a revival of the full size Homepod.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

njsykora posted:

I’ve heard this rumbling as well but I’d be expecting a new Homepod mini that’s just called a Homepod over a revival of the full size Homepod.

Yeah I bet it’ll be not quite as extravagant as the OG homepod but bigger than the mini.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Honestly I can’t believe they don’t make a soundbar/appletv combo about the size of a Sonos Beam. Hell even throw a camera on there for FaceTime like has been rumored for years. They could charge $500 for it easy.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

I wondered if the new rumored HomePod and sales in current Apple TVs would mean a new cross product but that’s just guessing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

I figure one day they can basically shrink an Apple TV in a stick sized device.

For right now though, I don't see them releasing one as a 'budget' Apple TV. If people really want that experience there's plenty of TVs that now work with Airplay. Smart TVs and other appliances have an AppleTV+ app now so they can watch that poo poo, so Apple already has their trojan horse.
They could do it right now if they really wanted to. I think what's holding them back is they still pretend to have gaming aspirations and like to put active cooling in the things even though a passively-cooled, USB-powered stick that only runs video apps and Airplay would likely be perfectly adequate for the vast majority of users. poo poo, I'd probably replace both my AppleTVs with them if they made it just to de-clutter things a touch.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

OldSenileGuy posted:

I assume you're talking about HomePod and not HomePod mini, right?

I have a HomePod Mini that I use with my bedroom projector and it's surprisingly good, at least for idly watching Simpsons and Seinfeld reruns in bed.

I was thinking about getting another Mini (or even a pair) for the spare room / office as a step up from the TV speakers (and because I want to put a smart speaker in there anyway). I briefly thought about trying to track down an OG HomePod instead of the Mini, but they're pretty pricey on eBay and I assume not worth the extra expense?

Yeah, the minis aren't great. Better than, like, a lovely logitech with Siri.

I rarely use my remote, though-- I mostly just say "hey siri stop/pause/go back 10 seconds/play" or "hey siri increase volume" or whatever. That being said, Siri is not particularly reliable, and it being the main reason to get a homepod mini really never inspired me to check them out.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

I love my one mini that always works and hate my second one that never correctly stereo-pairs. 50/50

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

JNCO BILOBA posted:

I love my one mini that always works and hate my second one that never correctly stereo-pairs. 50/50

I was just going to post this.

I have no fuckin idea why it doesn’t work but it works for a bit then just stops.

They work perfectly fine individually but as soon as I stereo pair them the whole thing goes tits up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone got a suggestion for a small stereo speaker set that the appletv can do volume control on? Got a first gen 4k that we're putting in our exercise room, the monitor in there does audio over hdmi but no CEC. So I need "something else" that the appletv can control. It doesn't need to be theater quality or powerful, it just needs to play some videos while working out and have working volume control on the remote.

Bluetooth looks like the only option for this setup.. is appletv's bluetooth pretty reliable for audio?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

Anyone got a suggestion for a small stereo speaker set that the appletv can do volume control on? Got a first gen 4k that we're putting in our exercise room, the monitor in there does audio over hdmi but no CEC. So I need "something else" that the appletv can control. It doesn't need to be theater quality or powerful, it just needs to play some videos while working out and have working volume control on the remote.

Bluetooth looks like the only option for this setup.. is appletv's bluetooth pretty reliable for audio?

AFAIK the ATV remote can adjust the volume on any device that has an IR sensor.

Like it can control the audio on my sound bar or TV. Possibly just get a small sound bar?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm glad I posted because I completely disregarded IR as an option even though I knew it was there. :downs:

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Why can’t I cast YouTube TV or YouTube to my Apple TV without first opening the app on my Apple TV.

Kind of takes away the convenience of casting. My Rokus and Shield TV both can be casted to at any time, and will even turn on my tv and receiver automatically when doing so.

The Apple TV is clearly on all the time as I can Airplay or Screen Mirror to it without turning on my system or opening anything and it will wake up everything.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Brain Issues posted:

Why can’t I cast YouTube TV or YouTube to my Apple TV without first opening the app on my Apple TV.

I'm not sure because I've never had to do this.