Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CelticPredator posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDt4ul73POc

(I don’t know why this was viewed so much I made it in an hour lol)

lol because it works!

https://twitter.com/creepyduckart/status/1563190779245637636?s=20&t=jqt0FvKoKdb1wUSaMaDVDA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Chris James 2 posted:

Watcher is available to stream later today on Shudder, if you haven't seen it yet I recommend it and so does Guillermo del Toro

https://twitter.com/RealGDT/status/1562988624987037696
Just watched this one. It was terrifying, and I bet for women watching it would be even more intense. Maika Monroe was great in it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Rageaholic posted:

Just watched this one. It was terrifying, and I bet for women watching it would be even more intense. Maika Monroe was great in it.

Yeah, agreed. I saw it a few weeks back and it was fully worth the watch.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Jedit posted:

Paging m_sinistrari and associated masochists to the thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krLf0Zjx3Ac&t=13s

It's on my 'catching up on what's come out since I did my big franchise watch' list.

And in catching up on the thread since it's now hitting the post summer slow down at work:

Only films that really scared me as a kid was The Blob from '58 since that thing could ooze under the door and still get you, and Invasion of the Body Snatchers which all versions of it still scare me. It's the 'people you've always known now not being them' thing.

The Killer Klowns game...I haven't gone from OOoooh YEAH to ah dammit that fast in a while. I'm just not big on multiplayer since my work schedule's an odd one and I always end up in the position of what happens when I'm the only one in the group who still keeps playing?

And the Spirit Halloween store is open. Already had my first visit, will likely do another this weekend.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Flying Zamboni posted:

You can't prove that any given movie character isn't a werewolf if there isn't a scene explicitly showing them hanging out as a human during a full moon.

Moonfall is actually a very dedicated subversion of the werewolf genre.

CelticPredator posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDt4ul73POc

(I don’t know why this was viewed so much I made it in an hour lol)

The klaxons really bring it together.

If you'd gone with like an A24 instrumental score deal it wouldn't be even a 10th as good, but that repeating BROMP BROMP sells it.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Jaws is a slasher flick.

Bruce the shark slashes a bunch of fools, until Final Girl Brody finally gets the better of him.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

They/Them isn’t nearly as bad as it is disappointing. A shockingly neolib view of queerness that makes me wonder who the gently caress made it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
They/Them is just boring. Like no good kills , no suspense, no gore.

It's just really boring

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

weekly font posted:

They/Them isn’t nearly as bad as it is disappointing. A shockingly neolib view of queerness that makes me wonder who the gently caress made it.

An old white cis gay man, which makes total sense when you hear some of the lines that come out of characters in it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xiahou Dun posted:

Moonfall is actually a very dedicated subversion of the werewolf genre.

The klaxons really bring it together.

If you'd gone with like an A24 instrumental score deal it wouldn't be even a 10th as good, but that repeating BROMP BROMP sells it.

I don’t know if A24 horror was a thing or a thing to me when I made that.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Crossposting from the Nope thread but I thought maybe this thread would appreciate it too.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

We’re getting another VHS movie? Neat, although VHS94 wasn’t very good.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Oh yeah for any of you that got the Zavvi special edition 4K release of Event Horizon, did you catch the egregious typo on the blueprints? :v:

Edit— wow double post, my bad

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

the wraparound story sucked big time but storm drain, the empty wake and the subject all were great little stories. hail ratmaa

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

The V/H/S series is incredibly hit or miss, but I really appreciated that stretch where there was a new one each year in 2012, 2013, and 2014. It was fun to have a new tradition of a yearly horror franchise, especially an anthology.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

alf_pogs posted:

the wraparound story sucked big time but storm drain, the empty wake and the subject all were great little stories. hail ratmaa

I barely remember any of it except for the wraparound story being awful and the story about the mad scientist making cyborgs being neat. Is storm drain the one with the rat king? The wake one bored the poo poo out of me.

I love VHS2, every story is great and its framing story rules. That thumbs up at the end, holy poo poo lmao

Any other worthwhile horror anthologies I should check out (other than Trick r Treat and Southbound)?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

^^^Ratmaa has a name lol. Don't be lovely.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

The V/H/S series is incredibly hit or miss, but I really appreciated that stretch where there was a new one each year in 2012, 2013, and 2014. It was fun to have a new tradition of a yearly horror franchise, especially an anthology.

There are some V/H/S shorts that have really stuck with me because they're amazing (the cult one in... Indonesia, I think?), some because they suck (what if zombies BUT A GOPRO!), and some I have no idea how I feel about (the first one with the flying succubus woman).

But no matter what, I'm glad that someone is keeping the lights on for anthologies of horror shorts because it's just a really good thing to exist for the genre.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I wasn’t being lovely, I genuinely did not remember.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Anthologies are cool because they're like appetizer samplers, easy to watch because even when something is bad its over quickly and you can hope the next one is better, and gets a lot of creators a chance to do stuff. I think the VHS series is only like half good at best but as a whole a very good thing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hollismason posted:

They/Them is just boring. Like no good kills , no suspense, no gore.

It's just really boring

I was sitting there thinking "how loving long is this movie?" because it felt like I'd been watching it forever and absolutely no slasher stuff has happened. Pause it, and there is only 10 minutes left in the movie and the slasher shows up immediately after the pause, does almost nothing, is immediately revealed/thwarted and the movie ends. Also the reveal was about as lame as it gets. Absolutely nothing that was built up had any payoff or amounted to anything interesting.

I also turned it off during the Pink dance scene and didn't return to finish it for almost 2 weeks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

And the worst part is that gay conversion camp nightmare is a drat good concept for a horror film and the idea deserves a much better movie.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Any other worthwhile horror anthologies I should check out (other than Trick r Treat and Southbound)?

Finally, papa's time to shine.

I have seen, as far as I can tell, every mid to big budget horror anthology that ever got a wide release. Not counting the poo poo 'we released it for free on YouTube' ones that pop up all the time, Plex says my number is 196 horror anthologies. The good, the bad, the ugly, the lovely 80s TV ones, all of them.

Now, I'm a goon on SA, so obviously my standards are loving low. But just scanning through my Plex anthology collection, here are the ones that have at least one segments that I would definitely force someone to watch:

• 3... Extremes
  • 4bia 2 (a.k.a. Phobia 2)
  • ABCs of Death
  • ABCs of Death 2
  • All Hallow's Eve
  • Asylum
  • Black Sabbath
  • Body Bags
  • Cat's Eye
  • Chillerama
  • Chillers
  • Creepshow
  • Dark Tapes
  • Dead of Night
  • Deadtime Stories
  • Dr. Terror's House of Horrors
  • Fear(s) of the Dark
  • The Field Guide to Evil
  • Flesh and Fantasy
  • The Forbidden Files
  • From a Whisper to a Scream
  • From Beyond the Grave
  • Ghost Stories
  • Heavy Metal
  • Holidays
  • Horror Noire
  • Horror Stories
  • The House That Dripped Blood
  • The Illustrated Man
  • The Monster Club
  • The Mortuary Collection
  • Scare Package
  • Southbound
  • Tales From The Crypt
  • Tales From The Darkside
  • Tales From The Hood
  • Trick 'r Treat
  • Trilogy of Terror
  • Twice Told Tales
  • Twilight Zone: The Movie
  • V/H/S
  • V/H/S 2
  • Vault of Horror
  • XX

STAC Goat posted:

Anthologies are cool because they're like appetizer samplers, easy to watch because even when something is bad its over quickly and you can hope the next one is better, and gets a lot of creators a chance to do stuff. I think the VHS series is only like half good at best but as a whole a very good thing.

This guy fucks.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

I wasn’t being lovely, I genuinely did not remember.

I was loving around. I did not actually think you were impugning the honor of Ratmaa.

Sorry that wasn't clear via text.

STAC Goat posted:

And even the ones that suck, it's a lot better for the creators to get quicker feedback with less of an investment.

Plus horror just works in a short format better than some other genres, so it might as well.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

The anthology is also excellent because it allows creators to pursue subjects that would literally never fly as a feature, or even a 30 - 40 minute film. It's how you get poo poo like this that otherwise would never exist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja6gCbPdTb8

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

veni veni veni posted:

And the worst part is that gay conversion camp nightmare is a drat good concept for a horror film and the idea deserves a much better movie.

Real waste of a great title, too

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I have seen, as far as I can tell, every mid to big budget horror anthology that ever got a wide release. Not counting the poo poo 'we released it for free on YouTube' ones that pop up all the time, Plex says my number is 196 horror anthologies. The good, the bad, the ugly, the lovely 80s TV ones, all of them.

Now, I'm a goon on SA, so obviously my standards are loving low. But just scanning through my Plex anthology collection, here are the ones that have at least one segments that I would definitely force someone to watch:

• 3... Extremes
  • ABCs of Death
  • ABCs of Death 2
  • All Hallow's Eve
  • Asylum
  • Black Sabbath
  • Body Bags
  • Cat's Eye
  • Chillerama
  • Chillers
  • Creepshow
  • Dark Tapes
  • Dead of Night
  • Deadtime Stories
  • Fear(s) of the Dark
  • Flesh and Fantasy
  • The Forbidden Files
  • From Beyond the Grave
  • Ghost Stories
  • Heavy Metal
  • Holidays
  • Horror Noire
  • Horror Stories
  • The Illustrated Man
  • The Monster Club
  • Scare Package
  • Southbound
  • Tales From The Crypt
  • Tales From The Hood
  • Trick 'r Treat
  • Trilogy of Terror
  • Twice Told Tales
  • V/H/S
  • V/H/S 2
  • Vault of Horror
  • XX

This guy fucks.

I'd also add Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark and The House

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I wouldn’t mind a long cut of all the VHS movies but just apprised of the best of the series. A greatest hits if you will.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

dorium posted:

I wouldn’t mind a long cut of all the VHS movies but just apprised of the best of the series. A greatest hits if you will.

That would be pretty loving dope, yeah.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Quality of the wraparound segments aside, I like the whole premise of them. Buncha haunted video tapes with messed up stuff that turns you into a zombie or something? That's sick as hell.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

They/Them is what happens when someone with a sense of shame tries to copy Ryan Murphy.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

raatma ftw

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

alf_pogs posted:

Hail Raatma! Chloe Okuno, director of that segment, also directed Watcher.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

What's the thread's take on The Invitation? My wife was interested in watching it but I don't actually know a thing about it, so she requested I "ask those horror goons you're always posting with" and see if it's worth our time.

Edit: Also, got around to watching Evil Dead Trap. A lot to love, but it does the lamentable thing that so much horror of the era does (lookin at you, tree from Evil Dead), where it seems like it felt obligated to include one or more god awful, wholly unnecessary scenes of sexualized violence to women, played for titillation (feels especially frequent in J-horror from the time for some reason, though that may just be selection bias from what I've watched vs haven't watched). First time is a grossly coercive and uncomfortable sex scene that didn't seem to recognize how inappropriate it was, and second is a guy just straight up spur of the moment deciding to rape a girl for shits and giggles and it feels like the scene goes on for SO LONG. After the first minute I just fast forwarded cause gently caress that poo poo.

On the plus sides: cool protagonist, gonzo effects, fantastically absurd perils, and a 3rd act I truly and completely could not have guessed was coming. Very end sorta didn't make a lot of sense to me based on the information established up until then, but at that point it's all gone so off the rails that you kinda just gotta shrug and let it do its thing.

SlimGoodbody fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 27, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hail ratmaa

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SlimGoodbody posted:

What's the thread's take on The Invitation? My wife was interested in watching it but I don't actually know a thing about it, so she requested I "ask those horror goons you're always posting with" and see if it's worth our time.

Saw it last night. I don't think it's as bad as a lot of reviews have made it out to be, but it's not very good either. It's fun when it's leaning hard into being Gothic and spooky, but that's very little of the movie. A lot of it is sort of a 50 shades kind of thing with rich aristocrat, and plucky poor artist meeting. There's also a bunch of stuff I thought (major spoilers if you care)were cutesy little references but, actually It's a sequel to Dracula, if Dracula won

I'd say wait til it''s streaming. Crimson Peak it's not.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Dead of Night is verging on 80 years old and is still one of the greatest anthology films ever made. That thing loving INVENTED creepy ventriloquist dummy poo poo.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

• 3... Extremes
  • ABCs of Death
  • ABCs of Death 2
  • All Hallow's Eve
  • Asylum
  • Black Sabbath
  • Body Bags
  • Cat's Eye
  • Chillerama
  • Chillers
  • Creepshow
  • Dark Tapes
  • Dead of Night
  • Deadtime Stories
  • Fear(s) of the Dark
  • Flesh and Fantasy
  • The Forbidden Files
  • From Beyond the Grave
  • Ghost Stories
  • Heavy Metal
  • Holidays
  • Horror Noire
  • Horror Stories
  • The Illustrated Man
  • The Monster Club
  • Scare Package
  • Southbound
  • Tales From The Crypt
  • Tales From The Hood
  • Trick 'r Treat
  • Trilogy of Terror
  • Twice Told Tales
  • V/H/S
  • V/H/S 2
  • Vault of Horror
  • XX

This guy fucks.

Chris James 2 posted:

I'd also add Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark and The House

Big ask, but how many of those are available on streaming? Maybe this year’s Spooky Movie Month theme will be horror anthologies.

I’ve already got VHS2, Southbound, and Trick r Treat covered.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I wish Moontrap was streaming somewhere

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

Big ask, but how many of those are available on streaming? Maybe this year’s Spooky Movie Month theme will be horror anthologies.

I’ve already got VHS2, Southbound, and Trick r Treat covered.

Not a big ask at all!

Three Extremes - free (with ads) on Tubi, Vudu and Plex
ABCs of Death 1 and 2 - both free (with ads) on Plex, PlutoTV and Redbox
All Hallows' Eve - free (with ads) on Tubi and Vudu
Asylum (1973) - free (with ads) on Tubi, Plex, PlutoTV and Shout Factory TV; available on Shudder
Black Sabbath - Shudder
Body Bags - free (with ads) on Tubi, Vudu, PlutoTV, Shout Factory TV, Roku Channel, PopcornFlix, Freevee (Amazon) and Peacock; available on Shudder
Cat's Eye - Shudder and HBO Max
Chillerama - free (with ads) on Tubi, Plex and Roku Channel
Creepshow - Shudder
Dark Tapes - free (with ads) on Tubi, Vudu, Plex, Roku Channel, Redbox, Crackle and Dark Matter TV
Dead of Night - free (with ads) on Tubi
Deadtime Stories - free (with ads) on Tubi, Vudu, PlutoTV, Plex, Roku Channel, Shout Factory TV and Freevee (Amazon)
Dr Terror's House of Horrors - free (with ads) on Tubi, Plex and Roku Channel
Field Guide to Evil - Hulu and HBO Max
Heavy Metal - free (with ads) on Tubi, Plex and Crackle
Horror Noire - Shudder
Horror Stories - free (with ads) on Tubi, Roku Channel and Redbox
House that Dripped Blood - free (with ads) on Tubi, Vudu, PlutoTV, Plex, Roku Channel, PopcornFlix and Fandor; free (with library card) on Kanopy
The Monster Club - free (with ads) on Tubi, Plex, Roku Channel and VRV; available on Shudder
Mortuary Collection - Shudder
Scare Package - Shudder
Southbound - free (with ads) on Tubi; available on Hulu
Tales from the Crypt - free (with ads) on Tubi, Plex, Roku Channel and Redbox
Tales from the Darkside: The Movie - HBO Max
Trick 'r Treat - free (with library card) on Kanopy
Trilogy of Terror - Amazon Prime
Twice Told Tales - Amazon Prime and Paramount+
Twilight Zone: The Movie - free (with library card) on Kanopy
VHS 1 - free (with library card) on Kanopy
Vault of Horror - Shudder
XX - free (with library card) on Kanopy; available on Hulu
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark - Netflix
The House - Netflix

edit: for future reference trakt.tv has all this information and is where I get it from. Rarely things will be outdated but usually they update fast on when stuff is off or elsewhere, same for when it's available for purchase/rental only

AKZ posted:

I wish Moontrap was streaming somewhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hITc3tAbHNs

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

edit: for future reference trakt.tv has all this information and is where I get it from. Rarely things will be outdated but usually they update fast on when stuff is off or elsewhere, same for when it's available for purchase/rental only

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hITc3tAbHNs

YO my dude! :respek: