Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
He also said "lol I could close the company tonight then what about your precious warranty"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Maybe they should only have warranties for the years where Yvonne has her turn at owning 51% of the company.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

FilthyImp posted:

He also said "lol I could close the company tonight then what about your precious warranty"

Yep that sounds like my general impression of him!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

priznat posted:

Lmao ok that is pretty hilarious. Does he still not understand how companies work?

No

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
The GN video that showed clips from the WAN show between Linus and Lucas made me lose all possible respect for Linus, which was weird because I still had a bit for him even if I disliked his content.

just another privileged, pasty out of touch tech nerd. get bent.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

From a NCIX salesman to millionaire. What a ride. :lol:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

From a NCIX salesman to millionaire. What a ride. :lol:

NCIX salesman :lol:

Their customer service was almost nonexistent even during the “good” years.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

buglord posted:

The GN video that showed clips from the WAN show between Linus and Lucas made me lose all possible respect for Linus, which was weird because I still had a bit for him even if I disliked his content.

just another privileged, pasty out of touch tech nerd. get bent.

That was a rough watch. What a dipshit.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

priznat posted:

NCIX salesman :lol:

Their customer service was almost nonexistent even during the “good” years.

The NCIX store in Markham was the only store I've ever been to that caused my credit card company to call and make sure it wasn't fraud. Every time (I only ever went like twice), without fail.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

CBD Corndog posted:

The NCIX store in Markham was the only store I've ever been to that caused my credit card company to call and make sure it wasn't fraud. Every time (I only ever went like twice), without fail.

The amazing thing is in Vancouver ncix was seen as the less risky option to several other hardware stores, lol.

I had an order in progress right when they abruptly went bankrupt or whatever and had to deal with my credit card company to get refunded.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
rossman also chimed in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-KUNVu2k28

tl;dw: you have legal obligations for minimum warranty, and profits exist to subsidize the costs of honoured warranties

(... and then he reads about the price of the backpack and t-shirt at 10:00 and adds some more colour commentary to it)

not exactly a rossman fan, but i don't get the impression that there are people backing up linus here

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

CBD Corndog posted:

This is 99% correct, except you forgot the part where Linus didn’t want to offer a warranty because ‘if he died tomorrow he wouldn’t want to put his family on the hook for honouring it’

Its even better than that - if he died and his family were on the hook, then would mean that his grieving widow would have to come into the office every day and see images of his face wherever she looked, and he can't let that happen. Linus really said this.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
ltt are doing a screwdrive announcement stream apparently?

https://twitch.tv/linustech

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

kliras posted:

rossman also chimed in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-KUNVu2k28

tl;dw: you have legal obligations for minimum warranty, and profits exist to subsidize the costs of honoured warranties

(... and then he reads about the price of the backpack and t-shirt at 10:00 and adds some more colour commentary to it)

not exactly a rossman fan, but i don't get the impression that there are people backing up linus here

Rossman mentions in this video he's hosed up business wise and is having to cut half his staff and relocate his business. What's the story behind that?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

kliras posted:

ltt are doing a screwdrive announcement stream apparently?
Can someone just tell me if it has a built in Fleshlight or WiFi Charger or whatever the gently caress?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
rossman is a tit but loving laffo that he had the exact reaction I had and assumed the product must cost like twenty bucks

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
people itt: 250 dollars is actually quite a reasonable amount to pay for a backpack. in a lot of ways, not paying 250 dollars for a backpack is very shameful.

normal people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-KUNVu2k28&t=602s

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
broker: spending 250 dollars on a backpack without a warranty
woke: spending 500 dollars on a toaster and justifying it to yourself it sounds nice when it's done(???)
bespoke: spending ten dollars to post on an internet forum in 2022

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

For $250 that backpack better be able to make a perfect slice of toast and write my shitposts on these forums, with a warranty included. :colbert:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CoolCab posted:

people itt: 250 dollars is actually quite a reasonable amount to pay for a backpack. in a lot of ways, not paying 250 dollars for a backpack is very shameful.

normal people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-KUNVu2k28&t=602s

just lmao at calling louis rossman "normal"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I bet what happened is Linus contracted with a manufacturer and just went off on all his wishes and they came back with something similar to Homer’s car that just costs a ton to manufacture. Plus of course the LTT tax.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

just lmao at calling louis rossman "normal"

well i called him a tit first :v:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

For $250 that backpack better be able to make a perfect slice of toast and write my shitposts on these forums, with a warranty included. :colbert:

for 250 dollars it simply doesn't support the featureset i'd need for that kind of pricepoint, specifically being unable to perform fellatio or grant wishes.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
$250 is a reasonable price to pay for a backpack from a reliable brand with a lifetime warranty. That's why we've been comparing to Tom Bihn and Osprey, they're companies that sell $250 backpacks and you buy it and you know it's actually a good deal. LTT backpack at $250 is a ripoff.

Also I hate Rossmann so I almost never watch him but it's funny listening to him and going "wow that guy's a fuckin New Yorker"

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

what's the dirt on rossmann i know he's a big right-to-repair guy but i've never watched him

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

repiv posted:

what's the dirt on rossmann i know he's a big right-to-repair guy but i've never watched him

big trump guy, or at least the kind of "i don't like him but he's a genius!" type trump guy. hell even in that clip he implies the reason his new york business failed was covid policies. fairly knowledgable businessman with that ridiculously over the top new york direct way, knows his board repair but otherwise huge prick. oh, except on right to repair where he's considered a fairly effective advocate i think, that's why he and GN are cool.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

repiv posted:

i just find him grating and combative and he's kinda a lovely "business owners make the world go round" kind of thing. like i watched a video where he picked on a homeless guy in front of his shop and went "hey you want money come in here I'll give you work" and then yeah, he got him to sweep the floors or something and he gave him food and money but it was that kind of "i'm the real big guy, because i get to control who gets to eat" poo poo you get from management. i don't think he's unforgivably bad just gets to me.

on a technical level, rossmann is really big on hating on apple for anything they do which remotely impacts repairability. airpods being a disposable good is disgusting, yeah, but I don't blame apple for making stuff harder to repair when it's to make sure devices are secure (like the part verifications for security on iphones) or more performant (how you can't swap out storage on newer macs since it's directly tied into the system for greater performance). i wish he had a bit more perspective on that front.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rossman has some good opinions every once in a while, but he's got a really bad case of small-business-owner brain.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Rossman has some good opinions every once in a while, but he's got a really bad case of small-business-owner brain.

Yup.

I’ve worked in places where I’ve referred people to his shop. And I would give like 3 or 4 separate warnings about the dude as part of the recommendation.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
Yeah big "Benevolent God" small business owner energy from Louis.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Arivia posted:

or more performant (how you can't swap out storage on newer macs since it's directly tied into the system for greater performance)

mmmm yes that blazing 1500 MB/s, can't do that without special purpose hardware

and even the Studio 1TB is 5000 MB/s which is extremely pedestrian by pcie4 nvme standards

face it, the storage thing is an inexcusable method to screw money from customers

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Klyith posted:

and even the Studio 1TB is 5000 MB/s which is extremely pedestrian by pcie4 nvme standards

face it, the storage thing is an inexcusable method to screw money from customers

I'll accept that i may be wrong and concede the argument because I don't want to fight about it, how's that do you.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Yeah none of those Apple schemes, even the ones they claim are for security like parts verification, are justifiable. It's all just anti-consumer ripoffs. Absolutely no reason that changing the battery or speaker should disable camera features.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Klyith posted:

And would it kill them to have an m.2 expansion slot?

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Not to hammer on Linus but I wonder what sort of margin they're hitting on that backpack.

If it's a custom design and they're paying people to sew it from scratch vs. buying something and modifying it or repackaging it, I can't see him actually clearing all that much per sale.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
hes like the worst person you know bit made manifest in flesh + a good repair guy. I would disagree strongly though, I would describe him as deeply tragically normal. this is what small business owners generally are like.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Not to hammer on Linus but I wonder what sort of margin they're hitting on that backpack.

If it's a custom design and they're paying people to sew it from scratch vs. buying something and modifying it or repackaging it, I can't see him actually clearing all that much per sale.

He's said before that he makes a huge chunk of his money from merch. He's not going to price something where he isn't clearing much per sale. There is no way he is paying even half of what he is charging.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
If he had good margins on the backpack he wouldn’t have fought so hard on the warranty thing, it’s a cost you build into the margin, but if he’s running thin margins on it then it’s the easiest thing to skimp on without actually affecting the product itself.

It’s the homer car, and because it’s so bespoke it’d be costing a shitload to make.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Tuxedo Gin posted:

He's said before that he makes a huge chunk of his money from merch. He's not going to price something where he isn't clearing much per sale. There is no way he is paying even half of what he is charging.

I'd buy that easily for all the usual YT merch he's been selling but the driver and the backpack seem like weird passion project/halo things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the overwhelming majority of the merch is exactly what rossman alludes to, a rebadge of some decent but ultimately commodity grade product sold to a fanbase that wants to support the channel. that is a lot cheaper than anything else given their economies of scale whoever you're buying from enjoy. if you're whoever the high end backpack people i refuse to memorize the name of are you base your business around making backpacks and optimize your production and cost to be able to offer things like lifetime warranties. to you, the word of mouth of someone telling their amazing backpack in the amazon bit by a crocodile replacement story or whatever is worth it to the relatively small market of people who might actually be able to justify such a silly priced product, then those trendsetters make the product desirable and they become a fashion thing and way more people buy in.

usually successful models like this are kind of like iirc mountain bikes, where user lead innovation pushes new designs - the demand for a bicycle that was ruggedized and could handled much harsher terrain compared to the dominant paradigm which were primarily for roads, lead to a bunch of users customizing their bikes, which eventually lead to the manufacturers adopting the product type. funny enough if i recall this specific thing has happened in backpacks a bunch of times, like the widespread adoption of carabiners is often cited as an example of users customizing and producers adopting their innovation. a more top down design is more difficult.