Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Helical Nightmares posted:

You are right. Gamma World just totally slipped my mind.

Anyway I have a question for you all that I think is better asked here than the Steam thread. I'm looking for a cooperative boardgame that either has a digital version or someone has made a setup of in Tabletop Simulator. The boardgame should be for 8 year-olds or at maximum 10 year-olds to adults. I want to stay away from any mechanic that incentivizes player vs player conflict. Opinions appreciated.

"Pandemic" is the classic, cliche answer.

Maybe a little complicated, depending on the 8 year old, but should be within reach, entirely co-operative, even teaches some geography if you squint at it really, really hard.

But I'm guessing you'd have thought of something that easy so give me feedback and I can take another shot.

Comedy option : Gloomhaven. Just toss the kids straight into the deep end of that pool like a nerdy version of agoge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Anyway I have a question for you all that I think is better asked here than the Steam thread. I'm looking for a cooperative boardgame that either has a digital version or someone has made a setup of in Tabletop Simulator. The boardgame should be for 8 year-olds or at maximum 10 year-olds to adults. I want to stay away from any mechanic that incentivizes player vs player conflict. Opinions appreciated.

Hanabi.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

hyphz posted:

Hanabi.

That game is pretty aggressively colorblind unfriendly.

Might still work for Helical Nightmares' purposes, but it's worth keeping in mind.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ask in the boardgames thread, maybe?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Spirit Island? Might be a little complex for an 8 year old but the digital implementation is good.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

You are right. Gamma World just totally slipped my mind.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/654220/Flash_Point_Fire_Rescue/

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

potatocubed posted:

Spirit Island? Might be a little complex for an 8 year old but the digital implementation is good.

I think SI is a bit much but they're making a simplified version for....Target? That seems like it's going to play better for youngsters

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

House of joestar, cowards

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey, what are my options for borrowing mass combat / field battle rules from other systems?

I'm looking for something that:
  • Conveys the broad strokes of the popular understanding of a medieval battle (A shield wall in the center, archers skirmishing, cavarly fighting on the wings and trying to wheel into the shield wall, routing and rallying, issuing orders from an overlooking position vs leading from the front, etc)
  • Can serve as a significant money sink for a low magic D&D style system where places are bringing in piles of gold and strong holds and followers are the major thing to do with it all. Hiring troops, paying for their gear, their wages, quartering and transporting them.
  • Can still be a somewhat light, elegant system - I'm not trying to trick my players into playing a groggy war game, but I do want them to engage in the now archaic D&D of them fielding small bodies of troops at higher level.

I think Birthright might be my best choice, though I've never read the rules myself.
I also like how quickly and cleanly the "mob combat" rules of the DMG work; I think some slight additions to having one PC "captain" a mob per battle could work; the character could impart certain buffs or modifiers based on the necessity of the moment, but these rules seem better for a smaller band of soldiers being brought into a traditional D&D combat that a field battle.

Anyway, what are some other options or systems I might want to examine?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I think SAGA is a pretty good one tbh, it's only like a 30 page rulebook and you can definitely dispense with some of the more complex stuff if you just want to capture the spirit for "commanding like 40 dudes." At which point you can get it down to like...probably like 2-3 pages of condensed rules. If you want it to be more about formation fighting than skirmishing (and thus simulating substantially larger groups), Brevis Editio Tercios is also about 30 pages and I think quite simple. Still have some stuff you can sand off and also its kind of designed for early gunpowder rather than pre-gunpowder, so I'd consider doing something like reskinning gunpowder to magic and/or changing some of the units available to be more melee focused.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hey, what are my options for borrowing mass combat / field battle rules from other systems?

I'm looking for something that:
  • Conveys the broad strokes of the popular understanding of a medieval battle (A shield wall in the center, archers skirmishing, cavarly fighting on the wings and trying to wheel into the shield wall, routing and rallying, issuing orders from an overlooking position vs leading from the front, etc)
  • Can serve as a significant money sink for a low magic D&D style system where places are bringing in piles of gold and strong holds and followers are the major thing to do with it all. Hiring troops, paying for their gear, their wages, quartering and transporting them.
  • Can still be a somewhat light, elegant system - I'm not trying to trick my players into playing a groggy war game, but I do want them to engage in the now archaic D&D of them fielding small bodies of troops at higher level.

I think Birthright might be my best choice, though I've never read the rules myself.
I also like how quickly and cleanly the "mob combat" rules of the DMG work; I think some slight additions to having one PC "captain" a mob per battle could work; the character could impart certain buffs or modifiers based on the necessity of the moment, but these rules seem better for a smaller band of soldiers being brought into a traditional D&D combat that a field battle.

Anyway, what are some other options or systems I might want to examine?

An Echo, Resounding is the usual OSR recommendation.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Jack B Nimble posted:

They are quite good! I recommend stealing them, I will happily talk about them for hours, let me tell you about why skeleton armies are the most powerful battlefield option...

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.

Xiahou Dun posted:

So Mystic Mongol last night made an off-hand comment about a goblin raised by elves over in the D&D 5.5 thread, and it sort of inspired me to get off my rear end and actually at least try to do a thing finally instead of just sitting around being a snarky dick.

I play with my niece and nephew a lot, so here's The Prettiest Goblins' First Party. A game about being goblins raised by elves getting ready for their first elf-cotillion. It's not done because I have no idea what I'm doing and am a hack and a fraud, but it's got an initial set up and a resolution mechanic. I still need to do some monkeying around with it (obviously), the big ones being that I need to add some charts as improv prompts and I want to do some actual play testing for the resolution mechanic. (I'm waiting until the weekend when I can sit the kids down and make them put on costume jewelry with a stopwatch. I'm just deciding how long a timer to set with time measured in group chants of ONE GOBLIN PARTY, TWO GOBLIN PARTY.) Plus the obvious formatting and pretty-making you'd expect. Gonna need to pull out GIMP to give it some color too.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KXp8FwPhLU30uvuGoPTQ5Zj9pHZa4lbV/view?usp=sharing

It's rough as all get out, I know, sorry. I just wanted to at least try to get something together that I can get criticism on, so if you don't mind I'd appreciate it.

Edit : one sec, that’s an older draft because I screwed up migrating between Google Drive accounts to not doxx myself. Should be fixed.

Very belated but this caught my attention; it seems pretty interesting for a kid's game! I can see my nephew deciding he doesn't want anything but the rings, though, sort of thing; not sure if there should be exception rules for that case. Still, if you get this going, I'd definitely like to hear about it!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I made a list of games I'd played or ran a little while back. It may be a few games out of date, tho.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Looks like you need to play promethean

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

FirstAidKite posted:

Looks like you need to play promethean

:hmmyes:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

CitizenKeen posted:

For an RPG concept I'm tinkering with, I'm creating these nerd groups called houses. Think MMO guilds that transcend any setting/IP. Anyway.

They've got names like House Atreides, House Stark, House of Mogh, House of M, etc. Stuff nerds are into.

I feel like I'd like a house for anime. I've penciled in House Pikachu or House Evangelion, but that's because I know poo poo about anime. Suggestions for cool sounding anime house names that non-fans would recognize? I acknowledge anime is huge and picking one name is an impossible task, but whatever.

House Dressing

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

edit: ignore

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
RE: big franchises not having rpgs, Fast and Furious doesn't have an official TTRPG, at least that I'm aware of.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

tanglewood1420 posted:

RE: big franchises not having rpgs, Fast and Furious doesn't have an official TTRPG, at least that I'm aware of.

Stats are fast, furious, and drive. They are all always 100.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

sebmojo posted:

Stats are fast, furious, and drive. They are all always 100.
Family is 110

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Splicer posted:

Family is 110

Yes, like it

To accomplish a task, you need to roll under the relevant stat on a d20.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Fast, Furious, and Family is legitimately not the worst stat setup I've seen.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Car chases are surprisingly under-represented in RPGs given their prominence in action films.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Nessus posted:

Car chases are surprisingly under-represented in RPGs given their prominence in action films.

It's largely a contextual problem, like with hackers in cyberpunks, but worse. The focus on cars really tends to warp games and the GMs are only willing to go that far for them. There's basically two possibilities: an occasional car chase here and there or letting a player be the Car Guy.

The former case is the more workable approach - in the end it's just a chase scene with a different flavor, right? But even that comes with its own share of problems. For starters, the killer of so many genres, the fact that RPGs more or less have a mandatory ensemble cast. In a foot chase everyone can do the running, better or worse, split to cut off various escape routes etc. In a car chase, well, you have a guy behind the wheel, maybe a second guy to shoot guns and everything past that requires increasing level of contrivances to find a job for everyone - so you can't really lean too hard on it.

And if it's just an occasional thing, well, there's some mechanical issues at play. If your system uses a traditional list of skills, it's super not worth it for anyone to invest in driving if it's such a rare occurrence. Especially so if you'd like to have a few possible things to roll to make it more interesting - so it's not just rolling Drive at a void until you hit a success. It's also not worth adding mechanical complexity for the overall ruleset, which cars honestly need. If you shoot a guy in a foot chase, you can just use the normal combat rules for shooting dudes. If you're shooting two guys sharing a metal box you'd like to stop moving, either the GM has to do some heavy lifting via improv or you need some abstract task progress mechanics in the system (though even then there's a muddy line between stopping the car and loving up the dude steering it). A foot chase can easily transition into a back-alley brawl once the target is cornered, as you're using those same very legs and fists. A vehicular drive-by just doesn't work with the same rules (between operating in completely different terms spatially and the above damage conundrum).

And finally - when you don't really have a justifiable room for some car-specific mechanics, you can't really make the chases all that different. You can't have cars that feel different, to the point where you can throwing multiple chases at players without them getting bored (just like dungeon goblin murder can be interesting largely thanks to the variety of situations you can throw at the players).

Now what if you do have enough of a car focus to justify building a character around it? Well, at this point you kinda have to go all-in on it.

The vehicular focus runs counter to a whole drat lot of traditional adventure setups. If you think of your RPG experiences, there probably sure was some character with car skills in your sci-fi or post-apo game that just had his vehicle perpetually broken whenever you arrived at a new adventure site, so that the GM can set any trouble and stakes you can't just gently caress off from. You can't have a night in a haunted house with a car. You cannot infiltrate a building or go into a dungeon for half a session if there's a car guy. You have to make sure the entire time there's a role and niche for someone good at outdoor mobility and at that point you reverse the problem - how do you fit everyone else into this roadside campaign?

I personally have quite an interest in all those things that are common in fiction, but surprisingly awkward in RPG context - like driving, hacking, anime puzzle fights, time loop stories, etc. - and have been working on a motorsports elfgame for the past ~9 months. Kind of embracing the all-in approach of having everyone be wheelmen, centering the focus on making the cars go fast, and then building the rest of the game around it.

I'm one polish pass away from it going into proper playtests, so keep an eye on the game wirting thread if you'd find that interesting.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Nessus posted:

Roleplaying games as an industry is broadly speaking not very good at innovating. Or realising they need to innovate in the first place. The majority of roleplaying games are combat systems and character development systems first and foremost, with all other domains heavily underrepresented. Making game mechanics for car chases is therefore pretty difficult on a like... industry-wide basis, and the results, coming from what are essentially amateur hobbyists with little experience with game mechanics in general, typically not very good.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Nessus posted:

I swear someone posted somewhat recently about how there were great chase mechanics in, of all things, some old rear end James Bond RPG?

fake edit: Found it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3953789&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=192#post521495678

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Pathfinder 2e’s chase mechanic is godawful and it doesn’t have an economic excuse.

The usual problem is that chases don’t have any clear player choices to make in character stance, which can make them very passive.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 28, 2022

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Fast and the Furious game that's just Lasers and Feelings but the two stats are "We're family" and "You're gonna pay"

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
There’s chase mechanics in one or some of the gumshoe systems I believe? I’m almost certain Trail of Cthulhu has a chase system revovling around dice struggles, making it one of the crunchiest things in the system.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

...now that I think about it, a proper Resident Evil/Biohazard trrpg could be neat.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Chakan posted:

There’s chase mechanics in one or some of the gumshoe systems I believe? I’m almost certain Trail of Cthulhu has a chase system revovling around dice struggles, making it one of the crunchiest things in the system.

Nights Black Agents. It’s that and Savage Worlds that have the most playable chase mechanics. Just looking at the Call of Cthulhu chase rules gives me a headache.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Spycraft 2e had pretty good chase mechanics imo, I enjoyed that system in general for its ability to deliver generally pulpy episodic action without too much hassle on either side of the screen.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Driver in AW works pretty well but that's AW and comparing the rest of RPGs to it increasingly feels unfair.

If we were to make a Fast & Furious game, I'd say you'd want driving/car chases to be as textured as "combat" is in most RPGs. Like you can't just be the Car Guy, you're good at specific types of being a Car Guy, like route planning or tricks or drag races or shooting while driving or something. Need a lot of verbs other than "vroom" and "not vroom."

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Is there a thread for how good Jenna Moran's new game about farmland financialisation is

Because I've only gone a few pages in and it's wonderful and terrible and looks easier to get to the table than uh some notoriously easy to convince people to play game.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Depends on how into poetry they are, but it’s a ton more accessible than most Jenna games.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Podima posted:

Spycraft 2e had pretty good chase mechanics imo, I enjoyed that system in general for its ability to deliver generally pulpy episodic action without too much hassle on either side of the screen.

I'm thinking about running Spycraft 2e sometime, any tips for running it? I remember Spycraft 1 getting very bogged down when the game got to the point of "What gear are you bringing on the mission".

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Gear porn is a very large part of the Spycraft experience, so that might be a dealbreaker.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I was hoping to do a "Q" and just assign them some fun gadgets and see if they could find ways to use them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

hyphz posted:

Depends on how into poetry they are, but it’s a ton more accessible than most Jenna games.

Oh dear lord what is she doing to that poor Tyger