Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Frankly I could use that $200, but I don’t know the first thing about selling things on the internet. I don’t remember if it’s Afrika or 3D Dot Heroes, but despite both being bought new, at least one of them has an obnoxious sticker tag that’s hard to get off (cause of GameStop’s awful policy of pre-opening every game. Probably an anti theft measure, but still).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Psi-Ops The Mindgate Conspiracy is great dumb fun and the physics are hilarious.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
I probably played the Psi Ops demo disc from OPM for 20 hours. Havok gravity gun comedy on PS2 hell yes

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

edit: nm

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 17, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A friend of mine is playing Star Control II for the first time ever and they just started their stream of it on Twitch https://twitch.tv/karkalla

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Big Scary Owl posted:

Psi-Ops The Mindgate Conspiracy is great dumb fun and the physics are hilarious.
Every so often I'll fire up my PS2 just to gently caress around in the Psi Practice Room until I get bored

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Metal Gear Acid is interesting. It's so weird having things like security cards being, you know, a card instead of just a key item. There's a point in a mission where you find Teliko and she gives you the lvl 1 security card and I kept wondering why the door wasn't opening until I checked a FAQ and it said that it was one of HER cards and you had to wait until you drew it into your hand, while the whole area is alerted and they're going after you :shepicide:

edit: the camera is awful though

edit 2: also wish you could see the view cones of the enemies while they are moving, you can only see when it when it's your turn

Want to try Acid 2 later to see how they evolved the formula.

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 22, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ac!d 2 made the gameplay a lot smoother. Far less but it's in the story tho

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Big Scary Owl posted:

while the whole area is alerted and they're going after you :shepicide:

edit: the camera is awful though

edit 2: also wish you could see the view cones of the enemies while they are moving, you can only see when it when it's your turn

Just forget playing MGA as a stealth game, the stealth elements are only really there as lip service to the franchise's roots. (and half of them aren't even programmed in as intended) Most of the later stages hardly even give you the choice to go quiet. Load up some big gun cards and get to killing because it's a much more entertaining game that way.

I actually just completed it myself last week, actually.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 24, 2022

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Retro-ish: after five years in the ether since a very brief teaser and switching developers along the way, the remake of PS1 game Fear Effect will have a full trailer released this afternoon. Let's hope it's better than Fear Effect Sedna (which felt like one of those phone puzzlers where you have to guide Lara Croft or whoever around an isometric level full of traps).

Edit: and they've reimagined it as... a cover-based shooter. Still retro-ish, in the sense that the Xbox 360 is retro. :geno:

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 24, 2022

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

RillAkBea posted:

Just forget playing MGA as a stealth game, the stealth elements are only really there as lip service to the franchise's roots. (and half of them aren't even programmed in as intended) Most of the later stages hardly even give you the choice to go quiet. Load up some big gun cards and get to killing because it's a much more entertaining game that way.

I actually just completed it myself last week, actually.

I ended up dropping it and going straight to Acid 2, it's a much better game, did you play it yet? Yeah trying pure stealth in MGA is a pain which is a shame because it's usually how I try to play Metal Gear.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Payndz posted:

Retro-ish: after five years in the ether since a very brief teaser and switching developers along the way, the remake of PS1 game Fear Effect will have a full trailer released this afternoon. Let's hope it's better than Fear Effect Sedna (which felt like one of those phone puzzlers where you have to guide Lara Croft or whoever around an isometric level full of traps).

Edit: and they've reimagined it as... a cover-based shooter. Still retro-ish, in the sense that the Xbox 360 is retro. :geno:

This is better than the "you better be ducking at all times oh woops instant dead to helicopter" of the original.

Maybe

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

NES Kid Icarus. Turns out the reason I found this game impossible as a kid is that I wasn’t aware of the strength/damage upgrades.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Just wrapped up Curse of Monkey Island after playing through MI 1 and 2 from some Steam sale last year or so.

Curse is a wonderful game, with most puzzles being quite fair - IMO a better difficulty balance than the first two. A couple of stinkers, still, but everything has a clue somewhere, even the ones where I resorted to spoilers. The metric I use is that if I get stuck and spoil a puzzle, if I slap myself on the head and say “I should have tried that”, then the puzzle is fair.

On to the next sequel - I’m not sure if I’ll be as happy with it.

Edit: I guess I’m apprehensive about moving it into 3D.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 27, 2022

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
Escape is awful, don't feel bad about bouncing off it.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I said come in! posted:

A friend of mine is playing Star Control II for the first time ever and they just started their stream of it on Twitch https://twitch.tv/karkalla

:yeshaha:

Game is still good, fun, and holds up reasonably well today. The Syreen probably aged the worst - while their backstory is interesting and it's cool to have a race with matrilineal hierarchies, their appearance is strictly male gaze - but everything else still sings. I still love the ship design: it is highly appropriate/entertaining that the most cowardly race's ship (the Spathi Eluder) is deadlier when running away than in a frontal assault.

I hope they become a Frungy fan! Huffi-Muffi-Guffi and all that, too.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Recently I've finally got around to doing a playthrough of the Ace Combat series. I had been meaning to play them "some day" for too many years, ever since I played Ace Combat X on the psp.

I played the first game a few weeks ago and I was actually quite impressed how much of the formula is in place in such an early ps1 game. It's a little barebones, but it's unmistakably Ace Combat.

I've started 2 now and again, I'm impressed. The improvements are significant, save for a few details, they've already arrived at pretty much the final formula. It probably helps that I'm playing the Namco Collection PS2 port but it plays great as well. I'm almost tempted to try and find a flight stick but I don't quite have the room to start a miscellaneous playstation controller collection.

Big Scary Owl posted:

I ended up dropping it and going straight to Acid 2, it's a much better game, did you play it yet? Yeah trying pure stealth in MGA is a pain which is a shame because it's usually how I try to play Metal Gear.
I did try the intro and the system feels a lot smoother and more intuitive, yeah. Coming straight off the end of the first game though the visual style feels a little over the top.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LuiCypher posted:

:yeshaha:

Game is still good, fun, and holds up reasonably well today. The Syreen probably aged the worst - while their backstory is interesting and it's cool to have a race with matrilineal hierarchies, their appearance is strictly male gaze - but everything else still sings. I still love the ship design: it is highly appropriate/entertaining that the most cowardly race's ship (the Spathi Eluder) is deadlier when running away than in a frontal assault.

I hope they become a Frungy fan! Huffi-Muffi-Guffi and all that, too.

She loved the game a ton, especially the dialog and alien races. Finished it yesterday and saved the galaxy. The next game Karkalla is going to play is Deus Ex, starting today (she plays retro games only on Twitch, and only first time playthroughs).

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Just wrapped up Curse of Monkey Island after playing through MI 1 and 2 from some Steam sale last year or so.

Curse is a wonderful game, with most puzzles being quite fair - IMO a better difficulty balance than the first two. A couple of stinkers, still, but everything has a clue somewhere, even the ones where I resorted to spoilers. The metric I use is that if I get stuck and spoil a puzzle, if I slap myself on the head and say “I should have tried that”, then the puzzle is fair.

Thanks for the recommendation/reminder, I've had it sitting in my backlog for ages, maybe it's time to beat it.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

I said come in! posted:

The next game Karkalla is going to play is Deus Ex, starting today (she plays retro games only on Twitch, and only first time playthroughs).

HELL yeah

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is going to be interesting, Unreal 1 engine is very dated now and does not play well with modern computers, especially when mixed in with trying to stream on Twitch. She had a very difficult time getting the game to even start when setting it up last night.

https://strawpoll.com/polls/3RnYpKaEQye this is the poll they have going for the next game that will be played.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Is there a thread either in this forum or in the main games forum to talk about third-party handhelds?

I’m curious about getting a Anbernic handheld.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Brrrmph posted:

Is there a thread either in this forum or in the main games forum to talk about third-party handhelds?

I’m curious about getting a Anbernic handheld.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3937810

They're good

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tonight I finished Lord of the Rings the Two Towers for Gamecube. This game sucks, but I remember it being so much better back in the day. I think its just been surpassed by so much better action games though. Some of the levels were just terrible; the one where you have to protect villagers at Rohan, and they randomly die and can't be protected, so it's really a matter of getting through the mob of orcs as fast as possible. Then there is the Helms Deep levels, one of them involves protecting a single door, and it goes on forever, and if the door is destroyed you have to do the whole thing over again.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Was attempting to play some Doom on the Atari Jaguar, and it was all going well* for some 20 or so minutes, and then this happened:

:thumbsup:

*Was actually going a bit poo poo thanks to lousy emulation speeds.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

wonderboy 3 on the mister. one of my favorite games and I always end up going back to it every few years. I think when I wrap it up I might run through the remake. debating if I want to do phantasy star 4 to play along with the jrpg thread

Electromax
May 6, 2007
(Crossposting from Retro Computing thread, with some additional things)

I recently revisited Alone in the Dark on DOS. I grew up with it on floppy and always felt it was a bit spooky, especially when graphics were bad everywhere and I had a child's imagination. But even nowadays, it has some fun uses of sound, camera angle and abstract polygons that still makes me smile. Here is a little 10-minute summary of it, I drew a map as I went: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPIUleTn62c

It isn't complicated like Resident Evil (you don't need to do much backtracking through the house) and there are tons of instant-kill traps that aren't telegraphed, but you can see some seeds that later pop up in games like RE. At several points monsters (mostly zombies or dog-esque hell chickens) break in through windows, into bedrooms through the door you entered, or around blind corners. It uses a cool camera angle from outside the windows in a couple of those cases, like you are the creature prowling.

I remember the floppy had a small matchbook-size booklet with a picture of every item in the game, and the piracy protection was to ask what item was on page 87 or whatever. That was getting good mileage out of their 3D models of all the objects, which again came up in RE and was actually really impressive at the time. They would rotate in the inventory and everything. You could also drop items on the floor and they would stay there until you picked them up again (inventory was encumbrance-based) - RE0 would "invent" that years later too.

It only had ~20 bullets for the two guns in the whole game, thankfully your character has a solid front kick. You can screw yourself over many classic PC ways - neglect to get an item and discover you can't open a chest deep in the final labyrinth 45 minutes later - so frequent saving is prudent. The documents go for it, very wannabe-lovecraft (including an excerpt about Cthulhu in Rly'ya or whatever) and most are overdone, especially with the voicework, but a couple I do like. They are a lot heavier than modern games - some of them are more like a short chapter of a book vs. a memo.

Overall - you can play it in your browser nowadays, give it a try if you want a fun horror-lite throwback.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I will always respect AitD for starting something special, but ultimately it crawled so that RE could walk, run, sprint and then poo poo over the competition. AitD is undoubtedly a pioneer but it has so many examples of needless cruelty against the player (often simply because said player dared to make any progress at all) that I actually hate it as a game.

Boy I loving hate it.

But yeah, I'm grateful at the same time.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Rainbow Islands has to be one of the greatest platformers ever. I have been trying out different versions, starting with the Amiga and C64 conversions of my childhood. I have never played the arcade, but the Amiga conversion just feels perfect to me. The C64 version is fun but ugly. Also, I think the main character is slower, which becomes especially notable when fighting the spider boss.

Apparently all of the home computer conversions were made by the same team within one single project. I wonder if this is the only time conversions were made this way?

I also tried the Megadrive version, which looks good but feels a bit off somehow. I'm also not a fan of the "extra"-version with the switched enemies and music.

I'll be trying out the Spectrum and Amstrad versions next.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Tac Dibar posted:

Rainbow Islands has to be one of the greatest platformers ever. I have been trying out different versions, starting with the Amiga and C64 conversions of my childhood. I have never played the arcade, but the Amiga conversion just feels perfect to me. The C64 version is fun but ugly. Also, I think the main character is slower, which becomes especially notable when fighting the spider boss.

Apparently all of the home computer conversions were made by the same team within one single project. I wonder if this is the only time conversions were made this way?

I also tried the Megadrive version, which looks good but feels a bit off somehow. I'm also not a fan of the "extra"-version with the switched enemies and music.

I'll be trying out the Spectrum and Amstrad versions next.

The wonderswan entry for rainbow islands is good

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

the first NES Ghostbusters game is such obtuse janky horseshit. What in the blue hell am I supposed to be doing here

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

sponges posted:

the first NES Ghostbusters game is such obtuse janky horseshit. What in the blue hell am I supposed to be doing here

I recently watched a classic vid tackling this subject!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLVGmvmNitg

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Thank you!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

sponges posted:

Being a C64 kid, I can say the commodore port was the same game and there was no way in hell a child could ever complete that game.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Being a C64 kid, I can say the commodore port was the same game and there was no way in hell a child could ever complete that game.

The C64 version is quite a bit better.

Yes, that is horrifying.

AuroMarshmallow
Jan 21, 2007

If theres anything a werewolf hates, it's a vampire- especially dumbass vampires

I loaded up Saga Frontier 2 on my MiSTer and spent a few hours trying to learn the mechanics and grind out skills, but I somehow forgot to open the menu before turning off the system, so my memory card image didn't save and my hours of progress got wiped out.

I started again but that was a rough way to begin this particular game, and also a bad way to learn how saving works on MiSTer.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I had some problems when I just started using retroarch with the fact that it doesn't automatically write saves to the disk right away when you save. I get that it's supposed to be a measure to protect solid state drives from continuous writes, but is it really a crime to have the dang thing write saves to the drive when you save? Afaik games don't even do that many writes to the drive comparatively, so they're not even particularly bad for an SSD's longevity compared to something like video editing or whatever.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Random Stranger posted:

The C64 version is quite a bit better.

Yes, that is horrifying.
At least the music doesn't keep looping the whole time on the C64 version.
You also started with a couple beams and a trap, I think? Gameplay looks similar apart from that. The ECTO-1 scenes look faster-paced on the NES than what I remember.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
Now play the remastered hack of Ghostbusters:

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4703/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

In my quest to try out all conversions of Rainbow Islands, I've arrived at the NES and Master System versions. Overall impressions: both were pretty disappointing.

NES:

The game is quite ugly and feels sloppy overall. The palette is drab, collision detection is janky and sprites feel unstable. The NES seems to forget all items and enemies the moment they go outside the screen border. This is much worse than the C64 version, which keeps track of what happens above and below the visible screen. Combined with the rainbows' bad collision detection, it becomes very difficult to collect diamonds and power ups. There also seems to be timing issues in the game. Items disappear very quickly (making it even more difficult to collect them), and enemies get angry almost immediately they show up on screen. Oh, and the music sucks, too.

(Edit: Ooh, apparently I've been playing the European version of the game which is more faithful to the arcade, but quite bad in overall execution. The American/Japanese versions are in fact similar to the Master System below.)

Sega Master System:

This was more fun than the NES version, but the palette is ugly here too. Disappointing, as the Master System can handle colors pretty well (see Asterix, for example). The level design is completely different from the original - the levels are much more sparse, which makes it feels like a different game in many ways. But it moves quickly enough and is quite enjoyable overall. The spider boss at the end of island 1 was INCREDIBLY slow, however, which made it very easy to defeat.

One thing I'm wondering about both these conversions: How do they handle the rainbows? I read that the home computer versions draw rainbows and items as bitmaps onto the background, freeing up space for sprites. Thus, the only sprites on screen are the main character, enemies and the star that makes your rainbows (as well as the exploding stars). I have a feeling that NES and SMS handle rainbows as sprites, which would make the game much heavier to run. But I'm not sure. Anyway, the Amiga version is still the best of the versions I've tried so far.