Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
He is, ironically, the straight man of the group

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Yeah the Marwa ending is disturbing on a very deep level but it's supposed to be. Nandor is an idiot sociopath, his idea of "granting a wish for someone" is turning them into another person and then releasing them into the world on their own.

Guillermo's the only "good" person and even he is in a bit of moral grey area considering how many murders he's covered up over the years.

EugeneDebsWasCool
Nov 10, 2017
Buglord

A Fancy Hat posted:

Yeah the Marwa ending is disturbing on a very deep level but it's supposed to be. Nandor is an idiot sociopath, his idea of "granting a wish for someone" is turning them into another person and then releasing them into the world on their own.

Guillermo's the only "good" person and even he is in a bit of moral grey area considering how many murders he's covered up over the years.

I'd say the whole murdering thing is far worse

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Yeah I think people forget/overlook a lot of the poo poo Guillermo has done

https://twitter.com/toobrlght/status/1554683308688171009?s=21&t=WhmER3m7Rgmg49GXE_HP4A

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
The Colin stuff was great. Love a good chicken butt. I'm glad the night club arc is done. It wasn't great and it made Nadja super annoying.

I liked the celebrity gag but I had to look two of them up to see who the hell they were.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm pretty sure that Matt Berry really really could keep reeling off fake vampire band names for several hours :allears:

I'd love that. I never saw much Matt Berry before this show but he's just amazing.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 1, 2022

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
In the context of the show...

Gizmo is arguably the worst of the lot. The vampires are driven by their nature. Gizmo is choosing to do all that awful poo poo in hopes of joining them. I think they should all get a happy ending, or none of them.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I liked the $5000 Celebrity Special gag which gave Nadja a fun new way to eat the rich :haw:

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
As an og achewood fan it was definitely a treat to see Jim Jarmusch.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

EugeneDebsWasCool posted:

I'd say the whole murdering thing is far worse

Objectively the murdering is far worse. But it’s a comedy show and the murdering has always been played up for laughs. The complete erasure of Marwa as a person is just really disturbing in a way that the murders aren’t.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Is only lovers left alive good? The only thing by Jarmusch I've seen is the dead don't die and it was pretty bad

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Hughmoris posted:

In the context of the show...

Gizmo is arguably the worst of the lot. The vampires are driven by their nature. Gizmo is choosing to do all that awful poo poo in hopes of joining them. I think they should all get a happy ending, or none of them.

He's inarguably the worst. He's seen past all the romanticized vampire bullshit first-hand, knows how miserable and poo poo-awful they are at forming communities even on their own terms, and still wants in. He doesn't even really have a compelling motivation for it.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

hawowanlawow posted:

Is only lovers left alive good? The only thing by Jarmusch I've seen is the dead don't die and it was pretty bad

Yes, but if you want to see Jarmusch at his best you should just watch Dead Man, Ghost Dog, or Down By Law or preferably all three.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Surprised some of you are so attached to Marwa, a dead person among many of Nandor's dead wives, who never really demonstrates much personality or character before being replaced with djinn wish personalities.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

InfiniteZero posted:

Yes, but if you want to see Jarmusch at his best you should just watch Dead Man, Ghost Dog, or Down By Law or preferably all three.

Agreeing on Only Lovers Left Alive and Dead Man are good. Both movies have killer soundtracks

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Khanstant posted:

Surprised some of you are so attached to Marwa, a dead person among many of Nandor's dead wives, who never really demonstrates much personality or character before being replaced with djinn wish personalities.

Yeah, and Marwa hasn't been functionally Marwa since the wedding episode, and even before that was getting reconfigured by wishes.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

ChesterJT posted:

I'd love that. I never saw much Matt Berry before this show but he's just amazing.

Please watch dark place.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

sonatinas posted:

Please watch dark place.

also Toast of London

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Steven, this is Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

“I don’t make that kind of money!” was the line of the night.

EugeneDebsWasCool
Nov 10, 2017
Buglord

Oasx posted:

Objectively the murdering is far worse. But it’s a comedy show and the murdering has always been played up for laughs. The complete erasure of Marwa as a person is just really disturbing in a way that the murders aren’t.

This is the fate of every side character on this show. Topher was turned into an undead monster toiling away underground as a slave making mini license plates, Jeff was decapitated and turned into a ghost, and Marwa was turned into a twee little british fop.

We've got a mockumentary about vampires, where Sophia Coppola's head was ripped from her body in the first three minutes. I'd rather be turned into a fop.

Marwa getting any kind of happy ending would not match the timbre of the show. Nobody gets a happy ending. It's a pretty dark universe these vampires inhabit and it ends up destroying everyone around them. Why should this situation be any different?

I think that's one of the reasons Our Flag Means Death doesn't hit as hard as WWDITS does for me. It's too sweet in its disposition and I had my fill of that with shows like Parks & Rec.

EugeneDebsWasCool fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 1, 2022

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
oh no poor Guillermo :(

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The neighbors do all right, no terrible fates for them yet.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
SEANIIIIIIIE!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

This is the fate of every side character on this show. Topher was turned into an undead monster toiling away underground as a slave making mini license plates, Jeff was decapitated and turned into a ghost, and Marwa was turned into a twee little british fop.

We've got a mockumentary about vampires, where Sophia Coppola's head was ripped from her body in the first three minutes. I'd rather be turned into a fop.

Marwa getting any kind of happy ending would not match the timbre of the show. Nobody gets a happy ending. It's a pretty dark universe these vampires inhabit and it ends up destroying everyone around them. Why should this situation be any different?

I think that's one of the reasons Our Flag Means Death doesn't hit as hard as WWDITS does for me. It's too sweet in its disposition and I had my fill of that with shows like Parks & Rec.

I mean by the standards of the show total ego death and dating your clone is a happy ending, it's just that it also wasn't funny.

And I know that humor is subjective so maybe it worked for other people, but it did NOT work for me.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
"Stop saying things that I have done!" was the biggest laugh for me.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I enjoyed it and had a few good laughs, but I’ll be the first to admit I neither have nor want to perform a deep analysis of this show

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Henchman of Santa posted:

"Stop saying things that I have done!" was the biggest laugh for me.

I was dying laughing at pretty much the whole thing but this particular line was just too perfect.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

sonatinas posted:

Please watch dark place.

Oh poo poo I love that show and completely forgot he was a doctor in it. 20 years, a beard, and a few pounds difference but I should have remembered that. Is Toast of London good?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

He's inarguably the worst. He's seen past all the romanticized vampire bullshit first-hand, knows how miserable and poo poo-awful they are at forming communities even on their own terms, and still wants in. He doesn't even really have a compelling motivation for it.

I can see the escapist appeal from when he was a closeted gay man. Now that he's out, he's had a real, healthy relationship, he's found personal power for himself as a vampire hunter, he's set up pretty well to grow past his Nandor/vampire obsession.

Or, I mean, he would be if he wasn't trapped in this nightmare comedy hellworld. Best case for Gizmo is he dies in the finale in an amusing way and the gang throws a deeply disrespectful funeral for him that turns into an orgy and they forget what they were doing

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the funniest part of this whole season was the announcer at the familiar fights making GBS threads on all the familiars

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

the funniest part of this whole season was the announcer at the familiar fights making GBS threads on all the familiars

The announcer was fantastic, the night market was one of my favorite episodes this season

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I don't think anyone would argue Marwa needed to get a happy ending, but she had a complete lack of agency and the character was wasted.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They created a character for djinn gags and nandor's stupidity and selfishness this season and they used that character for exactly that, how was she wasted? Were the other resurrected wives wasted? Was the other Sklar brother? Given that the character was going to be turned almost immediately into a wish-consequence vector, and ultimately into another person entirely, it seems like it would've been a waste of time to overdevelop this character fated for a bit.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

~turned into a white dude~

~erasure~

~lack of agency~

what in tarnation is going on here

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

I hope the murdered Coppola will be a gateway to a nic cage cameo

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Flinger posted:

I hope the murdered Coppola will be a gateway to a nic cage cameo

He has played a vampire too so they couldn't immediately drain him

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
There’s only one episode left? I grow weary of 10 episode seasons. :smith:

We’re at the darkest before dawn plot point, so I hope next week ticks upwards. I want my dumb vampires a little happy.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

A Fancy Hat posted:

Arguably Guillermo is the only "bad" person in the show. You can't really judge the Vampires as bad as then you'd have to judge a lion for not feeling any remorse for killing a gazelle. The vamps are monsters with human faces and they just lack that capacity. Guillermo on the other hand is fine with murder and other vile acts to get his wish of being immortal and becoming a creature that murders countless humans forever.

But it's a comedy so it doesn't actually matter, but it is funny if you take a step back and see what absolutely awful things he's done and yet we still have sympathy for him.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 2, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lions are definitely bad whatever lion people are called. I've got no problem judging lions, who would? They can eat factory meat like us, I've seen em do it, and choose not to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ChesterJT posted:

Oh poo poo I love that show and completely forgot he was a doctor in it. 20 years, a beard, and a few pounds difference but I should have remembered that. Is Toast of London good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bYY8m1Lb2I