Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

you know how there are asian/latino/middle eastern grocery stores? is there one for british foods? i saw a plate of bangers and mash in the carb cup and id like to make it.

Yeah they exist. They're criminally expensive though, so I only go once a year maybe to get a couple of things I miss from home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

There was an "Irish & Celtic Import" once near me that had stuff like biscuits, jams, black/white pudding and bangers, things of that ilk. Yeah, quite expensive.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Ror posted:

AFP analysis: a bed of mashed potatoes with gravy and melted cheese. Topped with loose corn, as is tradition.

It's like a homemade KFC bowl, right?

it is homemade, in the sense that the owner of the restaurant admitted that they live in the restaurant in response to questions about the thousand trump flags hanging up inside

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Facebook Aunt posted:

I have seen a British section that's a quarter of an isle or so in regular supermarkets.

So, like Wales?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

If you do that at a dinner party you have to put those timer mats in front of all the guests and let them compete to wolf them down the fastest.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Fat Dan posted:

I've seen pictures of actual restaurants in the US with crisps as a side.

I would laugh so loving loud and leave instantly if I was ever served crisps as a side. That's what you serve your children when you have given up on life.

this is a very strange hangup that would cause you to miss out on a lot of amazing deli sandwiches

and also this

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Ror posted:

If you do that at a dinner party you have to put those timer mats in front of all the guests and let them compete to wolf them down the fastest.
Watch out or someone will memorize all of the eating methods to speedrun it, though.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

every time a British person insults American food I think of smack barm pey wet

this scouser's a real wiganer now

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

There's a British export store here but they have like the things Brits are good at, like cheese and Irn Bru.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

If you live near a Wegmans they usually have about a quarter aisle of British stuff.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

HookedOnChthonics posted:

this is a very strange hangup that would cause you to miss out on a lot of amazing deli sandwiches

and also this

I have had crisps as a side for dinner. But it was definitely after I gave up on life.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I wasn't sure whether to say something but :raise: at fries being proper and posh but chips being juvenile and insulting

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
No, french fries are definitely also juvenile and insulting, just not quite "given up on life"-tier.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Mymla posted:

No, french fries are definitely also juvenile and insulting, just not quite "given up on life"-tier.

Ok

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

So, a world food store near me had a bunch of ice creams from I think Thailand that were not typical for where I was, but quite nice. Red bean paste, durian, taro.

I decide to trust the brand and get myself a package of mung bean ice cream 'Hey, all th others have been surprisingly good, maybe this one will be too!'

They are not.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Facebook Aunt posted:

I have seen a British section that's a quarter of an isle or so in regular supermarkets. But it's a middle of the store thing so it's shelf stable goods like sauces and candy bars. No bangers and or mash. And while Chinatown is cheap, everything in the British section costs twice what you think it should.
Yeah, a while ago I found a threefer of recurring food thread faves in the "ethnic foods" section of my hometown Publix:

I was kinda curious about the pickle relish after hearing it described in the last iteration of this thread, but I passed on buying as I didn't really have anything to eat it with and also it was almost $6.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I only just learned about Branston Original Pickle the other day. I saw a food video where the host was talking about a sandwich with pickle, then instead of pickled cucumbers he pulled out one of those jars and spread something brown on the sandwich. I had to look it up then to figure out it was a whole mixed relish.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the "european foods" section is where i get my marmite. it's smaller than the section for Caribbean food where i get my Grace hot sauce and jerk bbq sauce. #ibeshoppin

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Mymla posted:

I have had crisps as a side for dinner. But it was definitely after I gave up on life.
Apparently a whole bunch of y'all haven't noticed how good potato chips are as a dip delivery device.

Don't pretend you like plain fries/chips/crisps. Get some dill and sour cream together, hell it's good on flat potato slices and long potato slices!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Captain Hygiene posted:

I only just learned about Branston Original Pickle the other day. I saw a food video where the host was talking about a sandwich with pickle, then instead of pickled cucumbers he pulled out one of those jars and spread something brown on the sandwich. I had to look it up then to figure out it was a whole mixed relish.

the homemade version requires all this...I'm guessing the prunes are what give it that poo poo color:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
https://www.seriouseats.com/salt-and-vinegar-spanish-tortilla-recipe

get to post a alt-lopez recipe in the afp thread and be justified in doing so~~~

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

https://www.seriouseats.com/salt-and-vinegar-spanish-tortilla-recipe

get to post a alt-lopez recipe in the afp thread and be justified in doing so~~~

That's a loving outrage.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it actually does work amazing like all his other recipes but good for pissing off a spaniard if you need to

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I know it won't happen but I wish the hotel sues him.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

By popular demand posted:

I know it won't happen but I wish the hotel sues him.

that's far from the worst thing that's ever been in that coffee pot

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I had a sandwich with pickle today.

FFT posted:

Apparently a whole bunch of y'all haven't noticed how good potato chips are as a dip delivery device.
Crisps are, maybe, the fourth-best option for dipping, after corn chips, crackers, and carrot. Fourth at best.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Tiggum posted:

I had a sandwich with pickle today.

Now that stuff looks good. I'd try the other kind and probably be on board with it, but this one looks like I'd be all in on.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Captain Hygiene posted:

I bought a jar on the internet after seeing it on the forums and it's Pretty Good. nice on a simple sandwich or burger as an addition. but not something i will rush to reorder, just another sandwich ingredient and sweet enough i don't want it most of the time

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

boar guy posted:

that's far from the worst thing that's ever been in that coffee pot

I don't think cum is worse than that chicken

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Expense every loving dollar you’re allowed you bootlicking twit

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Horrible Food thread: I don't think cum is worse than that chicken

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Cum won't give you salmonella.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

They imagine someone higher up noticing and writing down a good word or two.
When the only notice will be a few dollars more on a screen of a number cruncher who only cares about tallying that poo poo on a spreadsheet for people higher up who gives even less of a poo poo into the negative about this guy the higher up it goes.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

Depends on who you're blowing.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

:hai:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MariusLecter posted:

They imagine someone higher up noticing and writing down a good word or two.
When the only notice will be a few dollars more on a screen of a number cruncher who only cares about tallying that poo poo on a spreadsheet for people higher up who gives even less of a poo poo into the negative about this guy the higher up it goes.

They're spending hundreds on hotels and transportation. Nobody is going to notice if you didn't expense dinner and had sad coffee maker chicken instead of going to a diner and having a $25 dinner.

Even in a fantasy land where your company is noticing every dollar and judging you for it, going to a cheap diner instead of surf and turf would already get you the imaginary frugality brownie points.

Facebook Aunt has a new favorite as of 19:42 on Sep 1, 2022

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i always went as far as possible on my per diem back in the days i worked for a company that actually encouraged employees to travel

and i doubled down on that after going out to dinner with the sales team once (i was visiting the corporate office of my company) and they expensed $1100 on a meal with just a handful of internal employees. they informed me this was in no way unique to our company. like wtf i have to argue for a month to purchase a crucial software for our company that costs $1100

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AARD VARKMAN posted:

i always went as far as possible on my per diem back in the days i worked for a company that actually encouraged employees to travel

and i doubled down on that after going out to dinner with the sales team once (i was visiting the corporate office of my company) and they expensed $1100 on a meal with just a handful of internal employees. they informed me this was in no way unique to our company. like wtf i have to argue for a month to purchase a crucial software for our company that costs $1100

When I used to do travel for work, the only thing I didn't expense was my liquor, because I didn't really want my employer to know how much of a lush I was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Iron Crowned posted:

When I used to do travel for work, the only thing I didn't expense was my liquor, because I didn't really want my employer to know how much of a lush I was.

My company allows one alcoholic drink to be expensed with dinner, so I usually don’t have to worry about it but if my dinner was cheap and I want another drink I just make sure the total will be under the dollar limit and only submit the generic receipt that isn’t itemized.