Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

velocirapstar
Oct 8, 2018

Get Confident, Stupid!

zoux posted:

Some people have become very emotionally invested in the hope that this show will be bad. I don't know why.

they think it’s cool, especially online, to publicly hate things that others enjoy, especially if it’s adapted from something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s extremely cool to see Amazon piss money away

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Vegetable posted:

It’s extremely cool to see Amazon piss money away

Jeff Bezos will still be the richest man in the world regardless of if the show is good or not. The show being bad will not own him in any way that matters. It would own people who would enjoy a good LOTR show, so I'm hoping its good.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

zoux posted:

Some people have become very emotionally invested in the hope that this show will be bad. I don't know why.

black people are in it

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

e; nvm

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

zoux posted:

Jeff Bezos will still be the richest man in the world regardless of if the show is good or not. The show being bad will not own him in any way that matters. It would own people who would enjoy a good LOTR show, so I'm hoping its good.
I hope for the best of both worlds then: it's good but loses a huge amount of money for Amazon

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Its a shame they dont have the rigths to use Tom Bombadil. It would so easy to fit him in a episode.
No reason he can`t teleport his little realm around middle earth at will by singing one of his silly songs so he could turn up anywhere at any time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Llamadeus posted:

I hope for the best of both worlds then: it's good but loses a huge amount of money for Amazon

Oh it will, I dunno how a streaming show recoups three-quarters of a billion dollars in production costs. Especially for Amazon, which has probably the least elastic subscription base of all the companies, since so many people have it because it comes free with Prime.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Llamadeus posted:

Honestly, we need more Borgia poo poo. Rich people laundering their public image by funding high quality art that will not be strictly profitable in an economic sense, but will show off how big their money dick is. Jeff Bezos funding a lavish adaptation of the Silmarillion that is an absolute commercial flop is a win in my book.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

JazzFlight posted:

This is based off of like, an edited version of some Entertainment Weekly story and Twitter today all seems to think it’s the real opening (the one without the text/song). Misinformation really spreads like wildfire.

LoL "misinformation" go outside

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Dan Murrell is a guy I occasionally watch(reasonable dude and not one of those chuds) and he didn't really like the first two episodes at all. He says its very slow and meandering without a Frodo or Aragorn type character for the audience to really latch onto.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bad news about the Silmarillion lol

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Looking forward to yet another Prime subscription cost increase to offset this stuff while I watch literally nothing on Amazon Video and just want my packages to come to my house for free.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Looking forward to yet another Prime subscription cost increase to offset this stuff while I watch literally nothing on Amazon Video and just want my packages to come to my house for free.

They're actually spending not much more on streaming content than they were 2 years ago. And the biggest cost to that isn't the Rings of Power, it's the $1billion they paid to get streaming rights for NFL football's Thursday Night Game.

Also compare their 2021 $13m streaming budget to Netflix's $17bn or Disney's insane $33bn

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Data Graham posted:

Bad news about the Silmarillion lol

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

Judgy Fucker posted:

I'm under the impression Tolkien was vehement in his insistence his works were not allegorical in any way

That of course is irrelevant to contemporary views of literary analysis, but he claimed his works were purely escapist in nature with no grander purpose.

I'm under the impression that Tolkien hated allegory in a sense of straight "the One Ring is the atomic bomb" analysis or how C. S. Lewis made that lion dude to be a Christ figure. I find it pretty clear that Tolkien used allegory and brought modern themes into his work at places. Like themes of industrialization with Isengard and Saruman's conflict with the ents from Fangorn. Or about the transformation people go through in war with the hobbits returning to Shire.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
That's more theme than allegory.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
I wouldn't classify man versus nature and war as strictly modern themes either.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Something just occurred to me and I want to write it down so I can say I called it if it happens.

Eärien has been stated in promotional materials to be looking for her purpose in life, potentially at odds with her family, a little naive about the tensions in Numenorean society, and she wants to be an architect.

Akallabêth spoilers:
She's going to design, or help build, Sauron's temple to Morgoth.

3 hours, 37 minutes and 25 seconds to go!

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

BoldFace posted:

I wouldn't classify man versus nature and war as strictly modern themes either.

I see the conflict between Isengard and ents as pretty straight forward metaphor for industrialization which is a modern phenomena. Like sure, there are some ancient examples like ancient Roman industry in their mining operations in Hispania that caused significant environmental damage. It is estimated for example that they increased atmospheric concentrations of lead concentrations by a factor of 10 in Europe. But I'm not aware of any contemporary texts lamenting ancient industrialization. The angst against industrialization came from industrial revolution from 19th century onward. Primordial Fangor and idyllic Shire is contrasted against smoke belching Isengard and transformed Shire with machinery that pollutes the waters etc.

Man vs war theme is ancient true, but I'd reckon in Lord of the Rings they are influenced a lot by Tolkien's modern WW1 experiences.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I really want this show to be a great success just so all the whining cunts in the YouTube comments can cry some more.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Honestly, we need more Borgia poo poo. Rich people laundering their public image by funding high quality art that will not be strictly profitable in an economic sense, but will show off how big their money dick is. Jeff Bezos funding a lavish adaptation of the Silmarillion that is an absolute commercial flop is a win in my book.

I doubt The Expanse made money for Amazon either but I’m glad they funded it. May as well make use of these concentrated pools of wealth.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Is there a known time of day that these episodes will go live at?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

9 PM ET.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

Is there a known time of day that these episodes will go live at?

30 min

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
There is literal GamerGate-chud misinfo straight from YouTube being not so subtlety shared in this thread.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

cool, episode 2 is available but not 1!

get your poo poo together bezos

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Gresh posted:

cool, episode 2 is available but not 1!

get your poo poo together bezos

came here to post that

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Same here lol

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I watched the trailer and it put me into episode 1

Let's do this poo poo

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
drat, won't have a chance to watch the first few eps until next week. Time to bow out for a bit, enjoy the show or the hatewatch friends!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

elrond looks like beavis

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
no spider?

edit: HOLY gently caress why is this a map of middle-earth after the sinking of beleriand

edit edit: just skip over beren and luthien lmao they really didn't get the rights to anything

i do like galadriel she just gave a big spooky look to a guy

Mameluke fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 2, 2022

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
This is the most movie looking tv show I've ever seen holy cow it's pretty.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Good god this is terrible. What were they thinking?

:ughh:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I disagree I think it was really good

(I will save Ep. 2 for tomorrow)

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Only half through the first episode but I'm enjoying it much more than I thought I would.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I thought it was really good!! Saving second episode for tomorrow

Elrond and celebrinbor’s hair are definitely bad tho, and they look exactly the same.

The fight against the snow troll with the blood splatter on the camera was also very corny

But I liked everything about it otherwise! 9/10

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 2, 2022

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
I am only nine minutes in, and I already need to just take a break and try again tomorrow. Trying to give this a fair shot, but what in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The lighting effects in the last ten minutes of Ep. 1 were wild

One second Calaciryan floodlights, then suddenly cut to dim grey where there had been at least nice pleasant greenery and it's like woooah poo poo