Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Volmarias posted:

Yeah, gently caress this guy, you work for your boss, not the PM.

Pretty much this. I am dealing with the same thing at work. PM constantly pushes me to working towards dumb sales pet projects but I answer to my boss so I do what he tells me to do.

Smile and nod at the PM if you have to. Just remember to keep your supervisor happy and hopefully everything else is downhill from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
NGL abrasive pusher who also advocates for real $$ for you behind closed doors isn't the worst species of corporate critter.

Honestly kind of surprised by that because it's not a common pairing.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
To be clear, these pet projects are things sales think will attract more clients, not actual small pieces of work that are being asked for by any actual clients.

It's quite literally sales being like "man it'd be nice if our platform had X feature, eh" in almost a water cooler chat fashion and the PM being like "SALES WANTS THIS!!!!!"

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I always thought the benefit of an intense micromanaging boss was having that person in your corner fighting for your raise, like yeah every staff meeting is gonna suck but... you get a raise

is that not the deal???

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CPColin posted:

I have a few separate web applications that share the same magic string values. They can technically be anything, as long as they match. I keep having a tendril of thought go, "These values should be in a library!" until a louder thought goes, "gently caress that!" and I just drop another "keep this in sync with (other application)" comment.

Write a microservice that provides a list of valid values

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

JawnV6 posted:

I always thought the benefit of an intense micromanaging boss was having that person in your corner fighting for your raise, like yeah every staff meeting is gonna suck but... you get a raise

is that not the deal???

:lmao::lol::lmao::lol::lmao::lol:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

cum jabbar posted:

You want me to write MORE code???

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

cum jabbar posted:

we have a typecode microservice that essentially just does this, it works i guess? :shrug:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

CPColin posted:

It's already a hell of an ask to make me write the code you're paying me for :argh:

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CPColin posted:

Use a crud api generator and just insert the values you need into a single-column table

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

JawnV6 posted:

is that not the deal???

Just in case this wasn't a /s post...

No, usually micromanaging "intense" bosses are poo poo at getting things for their teams (and often themselves). There's a lot of reasons for that we can go into if anyone legit wants to hear it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

CPColin posted:

I have a few separate web applications that share the same magic string values. They can technically be anything, as long as they match. I keep having a tendril of thought go, "These values should be in a library!" until a louder thought goes, "gently caress that!" and I just drop another "keep this in sync with (other application)" comment.

I might be on board if it was improving the linkages between separate apps. But it's one app and we're splitting out the different screens into defined modules. Imagine if it was a shop app having the product listing, main menu, checkout, accounts all as separate pacakges.

No one can explain why this is a useful idea.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

CPColin posted:

Is there a reason these can't these just be a few lines in a DB?

A library is going to be a mess if you have to update those strings and you are just waiting for problems to show up when someone forgets to update the library.
A microservice is hilarious overkill to retrieve a few strings and is over-complicating this problem for no reason, is extremely expensive to build, host and maintain (relatively speaking).

There are other details to consider as well here: How are these strings created? If they change over time, how frequently? How many apps are we talking about - 3? 10? 300?

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 1, 2022

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The strings are arbitrary names for user groups and never change. The application that creates rows in the database and the application that reads them are the only two that need to care. So yeah, basically anything other than "these are arbitrary, but keep them in sync" comments is overkill.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If they truly never ever change and are few in number, then a const in each codebase would probably be where I would go with this. If they are more numerous but would change, I'd put them in a DB. This doesn't sound like it requires a complex solution.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If they can vary based on the environment, environment variables; if they can vary at runtime, a config server; if you don't know when they'll vary, make them a constant until the first time you learn when they will vary.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

JawnV6 posted:

is that not the deal???

lol ive never met an intense micromanaging boss that advocated for you. they are covering their own rear end and taking credit for everything you do (hence the micromanaging)

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

This doesn't sound like it requires a complex solution.

Correct. That's why they're currently constants with comments and why I go "gently caress that" any time a glimmer of an idea surfaces to change that.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
We have a hook set up in code review that looks for specially formatted comments that say "hey if you change anything in this block, make sure you change this other block in this other file too", and flags your pull request if you changed one but not the other.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Woebin posted:

I'm a largely self-taught digital accessibility expert, informally I'm the team "accessibility champion", and I want to start doing more work focusing on that and less pure development. How do I bring this up to my boss in a good way? Is it a pivot that makes sense within the same company, or should I focus on getting some proper certifications and applying for other jobs? I want to switch because it's something I genuinely care about and think helps people, while programming the way I do now mostly just helps produce profit which just isn't something I care about at all.

As others have said, unfortunately, accessibility tends to get the short end of the stick. In my experience it's emphasized only for larger companies who are either OEMs or are well enough known and used that it would be mildly embarrassing for the accessibility to be broken, to say nothing of government requirements. If you're lucky, you can find someplace that uses accessibility compliance as a differentiator of some kind, but most likely supporting accessibility is a thankless task.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Supporting accessibility does give you another way to test everything. Computers are deaf, blind, quadriplegics and accessibility gives them a path.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jabor posted:

We have a hook set up in code review that looks for specially formatted comments that say "hey if you change anything in this block, make sure you change this other block in this other file too", and flags your pull request if you changed one but not the other.

This works well enough for simple, uncommon changes, and I am still not convinced it doesn’t work for most everything else

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Cup Runneth Over posted:

lol ive never met an intense micromanaging boss that advocated for you. they are covering their own rear end and taking credit for everything you do (hence the micromanaging)

They are also often disliked by their peers or superiors, and often don't understand the social/political aspects of the job very well. Roles down to their teams getting less of everything too.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
What service should I use for consolidating all my logs from my various applications/k8s/etc.? I'm using LogDNA right now but I don't like it all that much. Bonus points for being dead easy to use and not making me think very hard.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

What service should I use for consolidating all my logs from my various applications/k8s/etc.? I'm using LogDNA right now but I don't like it all that much. Bonus points for being dead easy to use and not making me think very hard.

How many logs / day? If it's not millions, then I'd say just stand up a mysql / postgresql / something and write to that. That's a pretty trivial, controllable solution.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

prom candy posted:

My coworkers are singing GralyLog's praises atm

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I'm in a Slack org for alumni of a former job, and some enormous-brained person who is apparently a director of something just dropped this gem of a question:

quote:

Hey folks, I’m rolling out an On Call rotation for my org and some of the engineers are pushing back hard on weekend days being part of it, including asking for additional compensation for asking for occasional non-business-hours work. Is this common? Do you know of any precedent? I was surprised and tbh dismissive but I want to make sure I’m not just biased by the companies I’ve worked at.
I'm asking my workers for more labor and they want more money for some reason? What's going on here?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

raminasi posted:

I'm in a Slack org for alumni of a former job, and some enormous-brained person who is apparently a director of something just dropped this gem of a question:

I'm asking my workers for more labor and they want more money for some reason? What's going on here?

Hope he got torn apart

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Amazon doesn’t pay extra for on call. It sucks.

Google does and it makes it feel a hundred times more palatable.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Harriet Carker posted:

Amazon doesn’t pay extra for on call. It sucks.

Google does and it makes it feel a hundred times more palatable.

I think a key point though is that they're adding the on-call requirement to the employment expectations without additional compensation. When you join Amazon you know already that there is an on-call component and you've negotiated a contract with that in mind. That's not the case in raminasi's former cow-orker's case.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

My work pulled that a few years ago, it really sucked. "Oh it's just part of the job."

Somehow I managed to get removed from the on call schedule at some point though, still unclear how that happened but I've never mentioned it.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I was put on call for a project that didn’t need it, and I just didn’t do it. Even told my boss that fact too. She understood. But it was some new company-wide mandate that every project have a call rotation.

My memory is a bit fuzzy now, but I think this was when one (admittedly very important) feature in a release went real bad, and the entire code base had to be rolled back, and the CTO started to throw out random initiatives. None of which fixed the problem.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Hughlander posted:

I think a key point though is that they're adding the on-call requirement to the employment expectations without additional compensation. When you join Amazon you know already that there is an on-call component and you've negotiated a contract with that in mind. That's not the case in raminasi's former cow-orker's case.

Yeah that’s worse by a whole lot. I’d definitely push back big time.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

prom candy posted:

Hope he got torn apart

I've been chatting with another former coworker from that job who informed me that the director who posted this was vehemently against the voluntary salary survey that the other former coworker instigated. She wasn't even in management at the time - just an IC who didn't think ICs should share compensation information with each other. I guess you can get manager brain without even being a manager.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

raminasi posted:

I've been chatting with another former coworker from that job who informed me that the director who posted this was vehemently against the voluntary salary survey that the other former coworker instigated. She wasn't even in management at the time - just an IC who didn't think ICs should share compensation information with each other. I guess you can get manager brain without even being a manager.

I've seen that before in a place where someone thought they were an awesome negotiator and it was a case of FYGM. I have no idea if they really were or not that's just what they thought.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Hughlander posted:

I've seen that before in a place where someone thought they were an awesome negotiator and it was a case of FYGM. I have no idea if they really were or not that's just what they thought.

Probably not if they didn't want that information. Because the company already has it...

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I had a company tell me that because they said "on call will eventually be part of this role", they were fully justified in shifting my regular hours to 1-10pm every three weeks to cover the afternoon support shift.

As software engineers we spent a full 35% of our time talking directly to customers about support tickets.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I had a company tell me that because they said "on call will eventually be part of this role", they were fully justified in shifting my regular hours to 1-10pm every three weeks to cover the afternoon support shift.

As software engineers we spent a full 35% of our time talking directly to customers about support tickets.

I didn't know hell was recruiting new engineers.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There are benefits to developers having direct exposure to customers through the support process, but doing it as a matter of course is wasteful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

There are benefits to developers having direct exposure to customers through the support process, but doing it to me is wasteful.