Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

exciting pl/sql contracts in akron ohio!!

PM shouts every night
In Ohio
Crooked devops on sight
In Ohio
Every day is a fight
In Ohio, Ohio

Got teams to lead
In Ohio
Main dev on leave
In Ohio
Pretty sure he got the 'vid
In Ohio, Ohio (livin...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

PIZZA.BAT posted:

they’re in house recruiters yeah. the third party ones are still sending me exciting pl/sql contracts in akron ohio!!

lucky. the closest i get are for canton.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

i had a screening call that went fine but they are really eager to get an AWS wizard on board and I am merely a GCP and Azure wizard :qq:

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i was an aws wizard a year and a half ago. now i don't know what half the products available do.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i dont think theres a single human being who actually understands all of aws anymore. prolly since like 2011 tbh

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Every time someone tries to get me to "familiarize" myself with AWS I flatly refuse

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

CPColin posted:

Every time someone tries to get me to "familiarize" myself with AWS I flatly refuse

congrats on reducing your earning potential i guess?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

CPColin posted:

Yea, not like this industry requires constant skill updates and refreshes to be successful

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

never been a sysadmin and not about to start now.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Exactly this

Also they keep saying I should familiarize myself so I have the knowledge ready at some arbitrary time in the future when I'll need it and I keep reminding them that's not how learning works.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

if you’re unfamiliar with it what makes you so confident this is what it is

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

raminasi posted:

if you’re unfamiliar with it what makes you so confident this is what it is

aws is just someone else's computer

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it’s devops, that’s completely different

by completely of course I mean “double” and different I mean “total comp”

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the strong trend is to have separate peeps for doing the devops than wot did the dev, thus violating systematically the core and really only principle of devops

it does pose a good excuse to force sysadmins to know how to code tho

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

either way that kind of administration of systems (should come up with some kind of abbreviation) is not even distantly what i am good at. pretty much me working away on the little valve or nozzle i am responsible for preparing the moon mission, and someone suggests i should learn how to put the rocket together and oversee a launch as some kind of side hustle.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

more like “hey you can use an aws lambda to scale up your valve with little effort”

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

either way that kind of administration of systems (should come up with some kind of abbreviation) is not even distantly what i am good at. pretty much me working away on the little valve or nozzle i am responsible for preparing the moon mission, and someone suggests i should learn how to put the rocket together and oversee a launch as some kind of side hustle.

......do you know what a sysadmin does

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

youre asking a lot of questions clearly answered in the quoted post

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

open my chest cavity and write this on my heart

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

hey, i didn't say sysadmin, i talked about the administrators of the systems!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

more like “hey you can use an aws lambda to scale up your valve with little effort”

valves, and most one-person pieces of software, are not useful in isolation though.

generally the point is that whatever you want to term the people doing deployment, provisioning and operations in modern cloud environments are (ideally) experts. even if the first move is easy doing things right takes planning, detail-orientation, and constantly updated knowledge.

of course i even now cheat my way through some aws stuff here and there, but it would be idiotic for anyone to task me with it or for me to volunteer to do that work, my background, skills and education makes me no more suitable for it than someone in hr. get someone good paid.

e: also being aware what can go wrong i would likely quickly stop sleeping.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

aws is just someone else's computer

are all uses of computers administration

idg why e.g. writing code to create and use a buffer for asynchronous processing is development when it runs in my company’s data center and sysadmin when it runs in aws’s data center

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

raminasi posted:

are all uses of computers administration

idg why e.g. writing code to create and use a buffer for asynchronous processing is development when it runs in my company’s data center and sysadmin when it runs in aws’s data center

reason i tease a bit about the term is that a good system administrator back in the day did usually have a lot of coding tasks, and in complex places it was *also* an extremely complex specialized skill.

if anything i find devops the a bit demeaning term, as it is bound up in the idea that some random developer could or should do it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

don't let the sh/sc bofhs who only derive pleasure from taking privileges away from the "lusers" get you down on sysadmin stuff, it's a good experience to be able to go through and understand how the software you right actually behaves in the field, and helps you make your software more useful

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

carry on then posted:

don't let the sh/sc bofhs who only derive pleasure from taking privileges away from the "lusers" get you down on sysadmin stuff, it's a good experience to be able to go through and understand how the software you right actually behaves in the field, and helps you make your software more useful

luser detected

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I have only ever wronged software, much like it's always wronged me

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

luser detected

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

luser detected

yo, cut it

soy un perdedor
i'm an luser baby, so why don't you kill me?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Captain Foo posted:

luser detected

lmao don't defend sh/sc

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

carry on then posted:

lmao don't defend sh/sc

I’m not, lmao

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the 3-4 shsc threads I have bookmarked are fine

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Fool posted:

the 3-4 shsc threads I have bookmarked are fine

ok

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ok

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
More like 0K! Of memory!!!

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

if anything i find devops the a bit demeaning term, as it is bound up in the idea that some random developer could or should do it.

ime devops is absolutely that. and not just random developer but some low paid outsourced rando on the other side of the world.
i believe the investor storytime is that the software developers would drop a docker image and devops are responsible for deploying and orchestration and all the five nines part
and because the five nines part is fairly established through sla contracts and whatnot, then it solves the problem of actually having to collaborate and work together with the remote parts of your team
and its demeaning the same way that webdev ja demeaning - both devops and webdev are super complicated and hard to do well, but they’re shunted to junior devs / outsourced devs because no experienced developer wants to do it really [for the low pay]

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
i’m not sure what world you live in but devops as the assumed name for platform operations work pays really well

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Blinkz0rz posted:

i’m not sure what world you live in but devops as the assumed name for platform operations work pays really well

i need to remember that devops now can now mean platform ops rather than what it actually originated as

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

that is directly relevant to my career and job situation with the new skip

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Captain Foo posted:

i need to remember that devops now can now mean platform ops rather than what it actually originated as

i mean it was originally a process (bring together dev and ops via culture change) rather than a role and devops practitioners were folks trying to drive that culture shift but lol of course it was going to get co-opted into “ops but with automation”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Blinkz0rz posted:

i mean it was originally a process (bring together dev and ops via culture change) rather than a role and devops practitioners were folks trying to drive that culture shift but lol of course it was going to get co-opted into “ops but with automation”

“ops but with more automation and slowly moving more and more to Azure” is okay and makes sense in the context of my job whereas traditional devops makes no sense at all