Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I didn't realize the host had any say in assessing final jeopardy answers. During the main game they obviously do to keep up the pace, but FJ isn't like that, and there's way more on the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I didn't realize the host had any say in assessing final jeopardy answers. During the main game they obviously do to keep up the pace, but FJ isn't like that, and there's way more on the line.

I don't think they do. There's plenty of time for judges to weigh in and they can edit around any time spent debating whether to accept it.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

ninjahedgehog posted:

Also technically not her first game, just her first game as official host -- she had a week or two during the hot potato period.

no, this was her actual literal first game ever. the previous game was hosted by mike richards. im watching through this era with my friends right now

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Paper Lion posted:

no, this was her actual literal first game ever. the previous game was hosted by mike richards. im watching through this era with my friends right now

Why are you watching this ? Do you like suffering ?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Whatever they did to you, killing them would be far more merciful

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

they wanted to see matt amodio play. weve been watching daily since like feb and sometime around late april i got them to go back and watch the james games with me because i was sick and tired of the lovely useless 2k betting everyone does on daily doubles to see how a real #gamer plays, which then got them interested in watching other super champs play. but by then wed seen mattea and ryan play live and my criticisms of their gameplay had sunk in so they wanted to go back to amodio since he at least bets in an interesting way and plays similarly to james, except for his daily double hunting tactic in double jeopardy. we will probably skip to the amy games after james loses soon

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I can't believe tonight's rerun has been preempted by football

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Only a week of new Ken episodes then back to Mayim reruns?!?! What is this bait and switch?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
It was 2 weeks.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
https://popculture.com/tv-shows/news/jeopardy-mayim-bialik-refusing-let-ken-jennings-take-hosting-duties-what-know/
As this article points out a lot of this info is sketchy at best but I am a sucker for gossip so I’m posting it anyway.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 8, 2022

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
New Jeopardy intern Ekim Sdrahcar better be more careful when he calls The Globe

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

https://twitter.com/depthsofwiki/status/1556643754106183681

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Easily the single greatest piece of knowledge I’ve learned from this thread.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

HookShot posted:

https://popculture.com/tv-shows/news/jeopardy-mayim-bialik-refusing-let-ken-jennings-take-hosting-duties-what-know/
As this article points out a lot of this info is sketchy at best but I am a sucker for gossip so I’m posting it anyway.

If the people making the show wanted Ken Jennings to be the only host, they could just do that. They wouldn’t need to play “mean mind games” with the other host, who is also their employee. What would it mean to fight to hold on to a job hosting a game show, anyway? They would just not renew your contract.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I don't know when it was announced, but I just found out that the format of the tournament of champions is going to change quite a bit this time around.

-There are six quarter final matches with no wild card slots and only the winners advancing.
-Amy, Matt, and Mattea all get to skip the first round and are seeded in the semi-finals.
-The championship will be a first to three wins affair, like the GOAT tournament, with anywhere between 3-7 games played.

I think I'm going to prefer the change. I do like that it will make all of the games play more like standard Jeopardy matches and force everyone to always be playing for the win without having to worry about getting a wild card slot or trying to maximize their points between two games in the final.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

I AM GRANDO posted:

If the people making the show wanted Ken Jennings to be the only host, they could just do that. They wouldn’t need to play “mean mind games” with the other host, who is also their employee. What would it mean to fight to hold on to a job hosting a game show, anyway? They would just not renew your contract.

The reasoning being made (again all rumors so Sketchy) is basically they don’t want any more controversy than they’ve already had thanks to Mike Richards loving with the host auditions, and firing a woman in favor of a white man wouldn’t look good in the public eye

So Basically, Blame Mike Richards

Jokymi posted:

I don't know when it was announced, but I just found out that the format of the tournament of champions is going to change quite a bit this time around.

-There are six quarter final matches with no wild card slots and only the winners advancing.
-Amy, Matt, and Mattea all get to skip the first round and are seeded in the semi-finals.
-The championship will be a first to three wins affair, like the GOAT tournament, with anywhere between 3-7 games played.

I think I'm going to prefer the change. I do like that it will make all of the games play more like standard Jeopardy matches and force everyone to always be playing for the win without having to worry about getting a wild card slot or trying to maximize their points between two games in the final.

Jeopardy has a new Podcast, that’s probably where it’s coming from

https://youtu.be/UpGKlwIB1VI

cartoons123 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 17, 2022

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Jokymi posted:

I like this. Great season to include 21 contestants too. Hope the finals are more competitive than GOAT was!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
GOAT was entirely as competitive as I wanted it to be because frankly if Holzhauer had even had a chance of winning I might have died from the stress.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Oh hell yes the woman who seemed to be visibly drunk in her last game might be in the ToC now.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013
https://www.tvinsider.com/1056225/jeopardy-ken-jennings-season-3-premiere/

quote:

In the Season 3 premiere, we find Kat returning home, and she’s feeling particularly chatty about her travels abroad. Can you guess who is seated next to her on the flight? None other than Jeopardy!‘s winningest contestant, Jennings (playing himself), who is much more interested in catching some sleep on the plane than hearing about Kat’s adventures.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Truly this is the worst timeline.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Ken's just doing his part to get people to tune in to Call me Kat.

sanko
Sep 11, 2001
Lies.
I didn't realize J! retired the clue crew until this interview with Jimmy and Sarah. She is moving to producer and he is switching to stage manager.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

sanko posted:

I didn't realize J! retired the clue crew until this interview with Jimmy and Sarah. She is moving to producer and he is switching to stage manager.

Well, this explains why they didn’t replace the others.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/1565804535146508288?t=zqCqwxlsKubpcEmeEVGZBw&s=19

Ben Pennings!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ben Pennings is the longest-running Jeopardy champion in the history of Taured.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:hmbol:

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Raiders of the Lost :3:

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
When does the new season start?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

davecrazy posted:

When does the new season start?

Next week!

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/missmayim/status/1567949915053236228?s=46&t=yp5GzZRC35RQhklTdBTNnw

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

The duality of Jeopardy

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Everything you need to know to pick Your Host.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Ken's tweet today

https://twitter.com/kenjennings/status/1568047633129963521?s=46&t=Bje6JYCGOMMW2yLmY1OfB2X8urPeisuLo3UhUeQRCQQ

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/james_holzhauer/status/1567979524297728001?s=21&t=1-HXvTf7lt6647fBJituXw

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/Jeopardy/status/1569340179088920583

I guess he finally gets the title "the host of Jeopardy".

When is the ToC?

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Second Chance tournament runs from 10/17-10/28 with the ToC starting on 10/31.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

wa27 posted:

https://twitter.com/Jeopardy/status/1569340179088920583

I guess he finally gets the title "the host of Jeopardy".

When is the ToC?

Wow, I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere (probably here), but they've been using a fake audience this whole time?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

thrawn527 posted:

Wow, I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere (probably here), but they've been using a fake audience this whole time?

They had writers and production staff in the audience, but the crowd noise was sweetened.

Johnny Gilbert has been recording his intros from home since 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Timby posted:

They had writers and production staff in the audience, but the crowd noise was sweetened.

Well they did a drat good job, because I had no idea.

Timby posted:

Johnny Gilbert has been recording his intros from home since 2019.

This part I knew, from an article I read a year or so ago.