Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Thundercracker posted:

It's really baffling so many people have to proudly proclaim they don't know Current Popular Artist. Like I don't know poo poo from poo poo but I don't feel the need the inform the internet of my ignorance.

I just paint miniatures in the corner like God intended.

My point in declaring my ignorance of Megan Thee Stallion is that it didn't bother/offend me that she showed up and it's hosed up to me that apparently some people were bothered/offended by her appearance, like they should somehow have gotten veto power on the show's celebrity cameos.

Meanwhile Tatiana Maslany is apparently a huge fan of Megan Thee Stallion and her I will kill for you declaration, might constitute breaking the fifth (or whatever wall) because it's Tatiana Maslany declaring that instead of Jen/She-Hulk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My 75 year old parents watched the show and had no idea who MTS was and it didn't matter at all. It was obvious from context (and explicit mention of her fame and accomplishments) what was going on. It could have been a fake MCU celeb and had the same effect.

It's such a weird goddamn argument

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Everyone posted:

My point in declaring my ignorance of Megan Thee Stallion is that it didn't bother/offend me that she showed up and it's hosed up to me that apparently some people were bothered/offended by her appearance, like they should somehow have gotten veto power on the show's celebrity cameos.

Meanwhile Tatiana Maslany is apparently a huge fan of Megan Thee Stallion and her I will kill for you declaration, might constitute breaking the fifth (or whatever wall) because it's Tatiana Maslany declaring that instead of Jen/She-Hulk.

I don't know if it'd be hilariously or stupid if Tatiana Maslany broke character during an in-progress 4th wall break as She-Hulk to speak directly to the audience as herself instead of her character after already saying something as the character, showing dissonance between the show, the character and the actress.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Women bad

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Didn't Kingpin get shot and killed at the end of Hawkeye? Or was that a "Well guess he's dead but we didn't show the body"?

Upcoming revealed show details: He's confirmed to be in Daredevil: Born Again. Different upcoming show details: He is also in Echo, as he has been photographed on-set in costume, though whether it's in present-day or a flashback is unknown.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ShoogaSlim posted:

same reason lots and LOTS of other people all over the internet cringed at it

it's stupid

Those people sound like they're fun at parties op

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

tsob posted:

I don't know if it'd be hilariously or stupid if Tatiana Maslany broke character during an in-progress 4th wall break as She-Hulk to speak directly to the audience as herself instead of her character after already saying something as the character, showing dissonance between the show, the character and the actress.

I really want this to happen now.

Maybe even bring Mark Ruffalo in to address the controversy surrounding his portrayal as The Smart Hulk

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Rarity posted:

That's my secret, Captain. I'm always angry.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

sexy if true

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

It's very cool and funny that the plan to get in contact with Wong by Nikki sending a pic of her doing a sexy pose next to some books 100% worked.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I think the issue for me is that Marvel trying to lean into a comedy, no small departure from the usual attempt James Gunn chemistry quip quip quiplash, is that the MCU hasn't had comedy as a particular strength. Can the movies be funny now and again? Sure, here and there an actually decent laugh will surprise me in a film. Spiderman has his not self-assured charm schtick, and Guardians of the Galaxy actually did the work to have characters build relationships up enough to get to banter level. But for the most part the films ( I understand I'm not even in the first million people to say this ) miss the point. Characters trading barbs back and forth, kind of seeming dickish and so undercutting the gravity of plot stakes, and the fact those are lines in the movie because a writer thought up a punchline they can throw into a movie can be felt. This isn't true for all films, exceptions exist, but it's more and more true of each new property I've caught up with.

I think tone wise they should have gone full Harvey She-Hulk Attorney at Superlaw, but to be honest my expectations of a truly/fairly funny Marvel property ( Deadpool is the low hanging fruit but the Netflix shows did better with comic setup ) have really diminished following 20th Century Fox's sale.

Me and my fiancee didn't enjoy watching it but I loathe to be completely negative, so unpopular opinion, Thor Love and Thunder was good.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Rarity posted:

I am not crazy! You think this is something? You think this is bad? This? This chicanery? She's done worse. That parole hearing! Are you telling me that a Sorcerer Supreme just happens to abduct convicts like that? No! She orchestrated it! Jennifer! She TWERKED with a CLIENT! She'll never change. She'll never change! Ever since she was a teen, always the same! Couldn't keep her rear end out of people’s faces! But not our Jen! Couldn't be precious JEN! Twerking like a madwoman! And SHE gets to be a lawyer with her own TV show? What a sick joke! I should've stopped her when I had the chance! And you, you have to stop her! You-

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I can see how some people don't like the comedy. Tatiana is absolutely carrying the show. It wouldn't work without her at all. It's the kind of comedy show where there's no actual joke setups and payoffs like Seinfeld or Arrested Development. Just a bunch of wacky things happening to people.

But whatever, I'll still drink that garbage.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Oasx posted:

I think it’s fine that the MCU is moving away from the early Buffyesque quips, but while Whedon may have turned out to be a terrible person, his style is still very much my jam.

How are they moving away from it if anything I feel like they’re moving closer. Now they even have abomination talking like tony stark he didn’t talk like that in the original movie!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Noob Saibot posted:

How are they moving away from it if anything I feel like they’re moving closer. Now they even have abomination talking like tony stark he didn’t talk like that in the original movie!

That's cause Incredible Hulk happened before they figured out the Marvel tone, it's incredibly po-faced

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Noob Saibot posted:

That's because he's changed emotionally, physically, metaphysically, karmically, cosmically, interdimensionally, etc

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
I've just rewatched the end, and one bit keeps cracking me up.
At 26:09, everyone is brandishing their weapons, swinging balls on chains around... and the guy on the left is just flailing about, waving his helmet at her menacingly. It's so adorable.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I know Stallion and enjoyed the cameo during the episode, but the ending bit still fell flat for me. It just felt like such a non sequitur, didn't really organically fit what was going on, that it made it feel forced. Why is Jen taking on a mortal as a client? Because someone making the show wants to shoehorn a stale dance meme into the show. Compare the Baron Zemo dance scene, where IIRC the characters actually went to a club for narrative reasons during the course of the show and Zemo had an excuse to be silly. And they still didn't make him do any literal fortnite dances, he just danced around a little and it was fun. If, instead, they just had a post-credits scene where he was standing around in a room with Bucky and they start flossing for no reason it would have been just as silly.

But even with ALL THAT said, it still didn't actually bother me at all. I don't expect anything from a post credits bit more than a very stupid joke, a la Ferris Bueller's "You're still here? It's over, go home!"

so yeah what i'm saying is that next episode, they should have an extended scene of Jen, Nikki, and Megan Thee Stallion going clubbing

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

XboxPants posted:

so yeah what i'm saying is that next episode, they should have an extended scene of Jen, Nikki, and Megan Thee Stallion going clubbing

Don't forget to include Jen's cranky old boss doing the Clint Eastwood "I don't know what I just saw but I don't like it" reaction, that part is important ;)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

XboxPants posted:

I know Stallion and enjoyed the cameo during the episode, but the ending bit still fell flat for me. It just felt like such a non sequitur, didn't really organically fit what was going on, that it made it feel forced. Why is Jen taking on a mortal as a client?

Because the idea she stole got from the jerk is that she'll sue the Asgardian elf for impersonating Stallion, I'm guessing!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

XboxPants posted:

Why is Jen taking on a mortal as a client?

Celebrities are mortal? :confused:

Real answer: I would presume that just because Jen is part of the superhuman law division does not mean she is contractually unable to litigate any other kind of case or represent any other kind of client, especially if it means getting a major celebrity as a client. Additionally, superhuman law isn't limited to superhuman clients. Megan herself was just involved in a superhuman law case after all (if only tangentiality), and the client GLK&H were representing was a normal human too. Well, delusional rear end in a top hat with buckets of unearned confidence, but with no superpower. So having She-Hulk and/or GLK&H on retainer just means she's got specific legal backup already in place in future if something similar happens.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 3, 2022

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

tsob posted:

Real answer: I would presume that just because Jen is part of the superhuman law division does not mean she is contractually unable to litigate any other kind of case or represent any other kind of client, especially if it means getting a major celebrity as a client.

I mean, that's fair.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

tsob posted:

MIB already established that a lot of them are aliens

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I did not like the inhibitor bit at the end. It kind of... devaluates Jen making the case that the guy's changed and is no longer a threat I feel?

Also in the first ep Bruce says Jen can't get an inhibitor because it would take him 10 years to make one... so where did they even get it?

Liked the rest of the episode. Had no idea Megan is a real person either but it didn't matter, felt the plot worked just knowing she's some big deal celeb in universe that would never date that schmuck.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Do we know if the inhibitor even works? Or is it just kind of a placebo basically for the parole board?

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

tsob posted:

So having She-Hulk and/or GLK&H on retainer just means she's got specific legal backup already in place in future if something similar happens.

Also she could be getting a restraining order on the Light Elf for unauthorised use of her likeness in a defamatory way, using the same lawfirm that just won a defamation case against her. It would also explain why she turned up to a civil case that she's not a party to, because then she gets to see how it turns out.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

The Bloop posted:

My 75 year old parents watched the show and had no idea who MTS was and it didn't matter at all. It was obvious from context (and explicit mention of her fame and accomplishments) what was going on. It could have been a fake MCU celeb and had the same effect.

It's such a weird goddamn argument

have you considered that the vapid culture of celebrity worship, regardless of gender, is..... bad???

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

Bebop sure, also doo-wop, some pop. Earlier stuff like swing, big band and Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong etc.

That's cool. Always appreciate someone really into their music.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Why wouldn't a lawyer take on a huge celebrity client if she was specifically requested?

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Maybe MTS is already a superhero.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Ravel posted:

Maybe MTS is already a superhero.

Powers of a Stallion or actually transforms into one?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

ShoogaSlim posted:

have you considered that the vapid culture of celebrity worship, regardless of gender, is..... bad???

makes u think

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Thundercracker posted:

Powers of a Stallion or actually transforms into one?

She's already a stallion

quote:

voluptuous and statuesque women in the Southern United States are colloquially called stallions.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

She's already a stallion

Huh. Learn something new everyday

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Let’s also not forget:

The Dave fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 3, 2022

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

The Dave posted:

Let’s also not forget:

Pic so hot, it can't be linked.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I gotta know what the deleted tweet she was responding to said.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Noob Saibot posted:

They should write in that universe 616 is the glib universe, like how Strange went through a cartoon universe and a paint blob universe.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
https://twitter.com/lean_973/status/1565890687266078720?s=21&t=huUNtgjkkV-F9IMNMZlP4w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I feel like they massively hulked out her butt for just that scene, she didn’t have that butt when she was walking around

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 4, 2022