Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Vichan posted:

And who has a better story than Mushroom?

- Huge penis
- Pretends to be mentally disabled so he can skate by at court
- Writes a tell-all book that says all the royals are loving and sucking nonstop

Truly, he was the Prince That Was Promised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013
Mushroom being a version of Tyrion but with even less power and position would be an interesting character if only in contrast with Tyrion.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Mushroom is nothing like Tyrion except being a dwarf.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

A lute with 11 strings? Not 11 courses, 11 strings.

What is this made up fantasy bullshit. What the gently caress is this supposed to be.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ok, this show is seriously good.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The kingswood hunt was some good non-book stuff.

I wonder if the shows going to keep the amount of twins there are in the book. We haven’t seen Arryk and Erryk yet.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

ruddiger posted:

The kingswood hunt was some good non-book stuff.

I wonder if the shows going to keep the amount of twins there are in the book. We haven’t seen Arryk and Erryk yet.

They're there! dunno about the rest but they cast actual twins for those two

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I'm watching this show just thinking almost every problem could be solved with more dragons. How you gonna tell Rhaenyra she's not going to be queen when she's got a dragon and that little 3 year old kid probably can't even say her name right, the gently caress.

God, I wish someone had given Cersei a dragon. That would've been good television.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't know what this show's gonna do without King Dork. He's sooooooo good

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Making Laenor light-skinned was an excellent casting choice. Doubly so if they contrive to show us his mom at some point and she's got brown hair.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Goddamn does this show benefit from being allowed to timeskip between episodes. Being able to go from 'hey we should declare war on this rear end in a top hat' to 'the war has been going on for ages and it sucks.' without having to spend an entire season on it is immensely useful in telling a political story.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

CapnAndy posted:

Making Laenor light-skinned was an excellent casting choice. Doubly so if they contrive to show us his mom at some point and she's got brown hair.

Isn't his mum the targ who got passed over for Queen at the start or am I missing something

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Isn't his mum the targ who got passed over for Queen at the start or am I missing something

She is.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

empty sea posted:

How you gonna tell Rhaenyra she's not going to be queen when she's got a dragon and that little 3 year old kid probably can't even say her name right, the gently caress.

Bigger dragon diplomacy

Caros posted:

Goddamn does this show benefit from being allowed to timeskip between episodes. Being able to go from 'hey we should declare war on this rear end in a top hat' to 'the war has been going on for ages and it sucks.' without having to spend an entire season on it is immensely useful in telling a political story.

Yeah I don’t know if it was this thread or the other one where I said “I’m not invested in this fight with the crab people”, and it would have been awful if dragged out over multiple episodes, but having all the action in one episode worked.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I looked up a targ family tree to get a vibe for where this sits in relation to the blackfyre rebellions and gave myself a gross spoiler, that daemon and rhaenys get married and have a kid that essentially reunites the two sides of the dance of the dragons by marrying aegons incest child (he marries his younger sister)

I mean I knew we were getting a lot of incest I just forgot how bad it was

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I looked up a targ family tree to get a vibe for where this sits in relation to the blackfyre rebellions and gave myself a gross spoiler, that daemon and rhaenys get married and have a kid that essentially reunites the two sides of the dance of the dragons by marrying aegons incest child (he marries his younger sister)

You got some names mixed up there George

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Hey look only one mistake typing that post from memory is impressive when you look at this thing

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

It's great that you had to look up the targ family tree when it's supposed to be the thing in the intro but there is absolutely no loving way for a viewer to know that.

Add some names to it the intro at least! How the gently caress am I supposed to know some random sigil represents a specific person? You know what the map said when it focused on Winterfell? It said loving "Winterfell" it didn't expect me to go look it up on the internet!

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I was wondering wtf that was LOL thank you

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot.

PostNouveau posted:

It's great that you had to look up the targ family tree when it's supposed to be the thing in the intro but there is absolutely no loving way for a viewer to know that.

Add some names to it the intro at least! How the gently caress am I supposed to know some random sigil represents a specific person? You know what the map said when it focused on Winterfell? It said loving "Winterfell" it didn't expect me to go look it up on the internet!
It’s also not shaped right, the bloodline flows in random directions instead of either horizontal or straight down and at the end it’s somehow flowing from like nine directions at once.

Cool idea, terrible execution.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

daemon and rhaenys get married and have a kid that essentially reunites the two sides of the dance of the dragons by marrying aegons incest child (he marries his younger sister)

I’m curious how they approach that/if they keep it since iirc the book talked like they were much more lovey dovey than has been portrayed so far on the show and clearly have shown Rhaenrya is pretty committed to marrying whomever she wants to.

sticksy fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 7, 2022

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

So based on Viserys telling Rhaenrya to pick who she wants to marry, the odds are pretty high that next episode, or the one after that by the outside, we get the menage a tois from hell with Rhaenrya, Daemon, and Criston, yeah?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

CapnAndy posted:

So based on Viserys telling Rhaenrya to pick who she wants to marry, the odds are pretty high that next episode, or the one after that by the outside, we get the menage a tois from hell with Rhaenrya, Daemon, and Criston, yeah?

I'm honestly really interested to see what really happened surrounding those three. Unless book readers already figured this out awhile ago (I just read the whole book this week), that seemed the one part of the story where nobody had any clue what really happened.

EDIT: Also, is there a place where people discussed the inconsistencies in the book? The book thread is humongous and I'm not wading through 1,000 fatman jokes just to find discussion of Fire and Blood.

EDIT: One idea I had, because Criston was so much older than Rhaenrya in the books, was that he was doing some weird grooming thing, but eventually Daemon snaps her out of it when he gets back to the court, and Criston goes full abusive fuckhead and becomes her biggest enemy. It would explain why he HATES Daemon so much, and gives credence to my personal theory that Daemon was a pretty chill dude who gets written about as an rear end in a top hat because people in power didn't like him.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 7, 2022

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I'm honestly really interested to see what really happened surrounding those three. Unless book readers already figured this out awhile ago (I just read the whole book this week), that seemed the one part of the story where nobody had any clue what really happened.
Nope. All we know is that Something Bad happened behind closed doors that night.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

MrMojok posted:

Ok, this show is seriously good.

I have to agree, since the stupid prophecy poo poo is apparently GRRM's fault the additions they have done are really good. Rhaenyra and Alicent being friends before Alicent became queen adds a whole new dimension to their rivalry, for example. Criston Cole is more then a fuckstick, the show really has me guessing who spurned whom. And while I was certain Viserys would be my favorite character, the actor does an amazing job portraying a Targaryen king who is intelligent and even astute but who isn't super smart (like Jaehaerys I or Daeron II) and is simply too nice for his position - while consistently acknowledging this. He really manages to bring out the sheer love Viserys has for all his relatives with their horrible faults without making him seem like a simpering walkover.

Even if the actual strategy/battle stuff in Stepstones was kinda ludicrous (they're hiding in caves? Pile up wood in every entrance and let Seasmoke and Caraxes puff puff pass lol) Matt Smith really sold me on the fact that Daemon is simply an insane psychopath who is really good in a fight, a Joffrey who isn't a complete piss baby.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Bit of a correction - Daemon and Rhaenyra get married, have two children - Aegon and Viserys. While Aegon marries the last living child of Aegon II (the baby in last episode) she either kills herself or is murdered. Aegon (III) later marries a Velaryon (grandchild of the Sea Snake's whiny brother in the last episode). They have five children, which include Daena the Defiant, mother of Daemon Blackfyre (named after Daemon, ominously), and Daeron I and Baelor I. Since the latter two didn't have kids because the first was asexual and the second wanted to be asexual, the crown passed to Viserys II, the last child of Rhaenyra and Daemon. He didn't have incest babies but his kid (Aegon IV) did with both cousins and a sister so both Blackfyres and Targaryens ended up again being incest as all hell.

So both sides of the Dance of Dragons kind of win/lose. Aegon II is acknowledged as the rightful king by misogynistic Westeros and cements in the agnatic succession but not one but two of Rhaenyra's children become kings and the Targaryen (and Blackfyre) line follows from her in like five different directions.

Ironically if Rhaenyra's wishes became law, Daemon Blackfyre would have been the rightful king, being the oldest child of the oldest child of Aegon III,
Daena Targaryen.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

It would explain why he HATES Daemon so much, and gives credence to my personal theory that Daemon was a pretty chill dude who gets written about as an rear end in a top hat because people in power didn't like him.

I mean they didn't invent the extremely non-chill actions he did literally 24/7, or the very non-chill reputation he had among Kingslanders, or the supremely non-chill part he plays in the recollections of a court jester. He was gathering swords to support Viserys' claim to the throne before the Great Council, while barely having passed puberty and his dragon was called "the Blood Wyrm", and oh yeah when the blacks were like "we need some child murderers" he was like "say no more incest fam", so...

I think the only people who liked Daemon were all related to him or loving him (or both!). Or similar psychos who he paid. And "chill" isn't the way those who liked him describe him or why Daemon Blackfyre was named after him. Pretty sure Viserys had the monopoly on that out of the brothers. And if even Viserys is like "yo what the poo poo bro that's it I'll loving disinherit your rear end" and "Jesus gently caress GET OUT NOPE LEAVE" multiple times Daemon probably wasn't a zen master.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 7, 2022

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
Mushroom's history is one of the best part of Fire and Blood

"actually, I personally hosed all the major players in this political event with my huge penis!"

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Typo posted:

Mushroom's history is one of the best part of Fire and Blood

"actually, I personally hosed all the major players in this political event with my huge penis!"

The way he leaves the court is the best too. "Man, even I can't make this kid laugh."

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mushroom's history is more like "actually, all the major players in this political event were just constantly loving and sucking each other, total pervs and morons, while I heroically ran the whole goddamn war from both sides because I am the smartest and have the biggest dick". Every time the maester is forced to admit that actually, in this case Mushroom's account of certain events is the most plausible, even through the text you can see just how annoyed he is to have to give any credibility to the history.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Also at least one future king tried to memory hole Mushroom from history by burning all of his writings whenever possible

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DarkCrawler posted:

I have to agree, since the stupid prophecy poo poo is apparently GRRM's fault the additions they have done are really good. Rhaenyra and Alicent being friends before Alicent became queen adds a whole new dimension to their rivalry, for example. Criston Cole is more then a fuckstick, the show really has me guessing who spurned whom. And while I was certain Viserys would be my favorite character, the actor does an amazing job portraying a Targaryen king who is intelligent and even astute but who isn't super smart (like Jaehaerys I or Daeron II) and is simply too nice for his position - while consistently acknowledging this. He really manages to bring out the sheer love Viserys has for all his relatives with their horrible faults without making him seem like a simpering walkover.

Even if the actual strategy/battle stuff in Stepstones was kinda ludicrous (they're hiding in caves? Pile up wood in every entrance and let Seasmoke and Caraxes puff puff pass lol) Matt Smith really sold me on the fact that Daemon is simply an insane psychopath who is really good in a fight, a Joffrey who isn't a complete piss baby.

i am happy that i am actually invested in the story even though i know how it all turns out because while not perfect, they are making it interesting and making the characters way way more fleshed out then in the book. in the book, vicery comes off as a well meaning moron who gets played by everyone and always takes the worse possible choice because he is a dumb happy moron. i am curious how they will play with the strong accusations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

bobjr posted:

Also at least one future king tried to memory hole Mushroom from history by burning all of his writings whenever possible
One of the many reasons that dude sucked.

Oh look at me I'm Baelor the Blessed, I'm so loving holy, burn everything useful or interesting and lock my sisters away for life so they can't tempt me with their sinful hotness oh holy Seven, why did you make me want to gently caress my sisters so bad

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
ya lmao of all the horrible fictitious targs i also hate baelor the most

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am happy that i am actually invested in the story even though i know how it all turns out because while not perfect, they are making it interesting and making the characters way way more fleshed out then in the book. in the book, vicery comes off as a well meaning moron who gets played by everyone and always takes the worse possible choice because he is a dumb happy moron. i am curious how they will play with the strong accusations.

I mean Viserys didn't play with that poo poo on the books, I hope they add Vaemond to that scene.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Mameluke posted:

There's no denying it'd absolutely suck if he was your king, but you gotta admit the whole 'walk from King's Landing to Dorne and back, barefoot, AND make a pitstop to walk through a pit of vipers naked in order to save your brother' thing was kinda badass

Actually in retrospect, remembering that story makes me feel a bit better about Daemon and his plot armor in this episode. Targs just have an inborn power to do absolutely OP things sometimes.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

CapnAndy posted:

One of the many reasons that dude sucked.

Oh look at me I'm Baelor the Blessed, I'm so loving holy, burn everything useful or interesting and lock my sisters away for life so they can't tempt me with their sinful hotness oh holy Seven, why did you make me want to gently caress my sisters so bad

Is Baelor the only major king who actually believes in the faith of the seven and doesn’t just pay lip service?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

CapnAndy posted:

Mushroom's history is more like "actually, all the major players in this political event were just constantly loving and sucking each other, total pervs and morons, while I heroically ran the whole goddamn war from both sides because I am the smartest and have the biggest dick". Every time the maester is forced to admit that actually, in this case Mushroom's account of certain events is the most plausible, even through the text you can see just how annoyed he is to have to give any credibility to the history.

he's basically the asoiaf equivalent of national enquirer

even if it's like 95% BS once in a while you get a John Edwards

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Mameluke posted:

did anything bad actually happen during baelor?

IIRC nothing bad actually happened everyone just had to put up with his batshit insanity for a while

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

CapnAndy posted:

Still better than Stephen Ambrose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Typo posted:

did anything bad actually happen during baelor?

IIRC nothing bad actually happened everyone just had to put up with his batshit insanity for a while

He outlawed prostitution